Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Radio 1 on 252!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

marno21 wrote: »
    RTE R1 252 seemed to be on lower power earlier. Now being wiped out by Algeria here -> http://websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901/

I'm parked in my truck just outside Holyhead, reception is actually better on 257LW strangely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

I'll miss it, very handy when taking a break or on the road in France,Belgium,Netherlands and Germany. :-(

I'm sitting in my car in Belgium and I can still hear it. I thought it was going off at the end of October.

Its coming in well btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭turbocab

Greenman wrote: »
    I'm sitting in my car in Belgium and I can still hear it. I thought it was going off at the end of October.

Its coming in well btw.
    Its going off on 19 jan i think,algeria back on 252khz with new tx hammering rte at night,they may as well turn it off now or move channel John,were you over in the green isle recently?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Longwave Listener

The "save our lifeline" crowd made alot of headway by bombarding politicians with sob stories of paddy in london and Biddy in Manchester who only have their 2 bar heater and longwave radio for company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

The "save our lifeline" crowd made alot of headway by bombarding politicians with sob stories of paddy in london and Biddy in Manchester who only have their 2 bar heater and longwave radio for company.

Well I think that if people seriously believe that it was a vital enough service worth keeping particularly on behalf of those who do not have easy regular access to the other digital platform methods then there was no point in having a campaign starting after the original intended closure deadline of October 27th as once the signal gets switched off these things are usually more difficult to overturn.

I have an uncle & his family in London, my brother and his family live in another area of London and a 1st cousin in Chelmsford, Essex. Up to recently I also had another uncle who lived in Jersey, Channel Islands. The two uncles are not mobile/internet broadband savy so I know that LW252 is a very important link for them.

But there are many others who would also wish to continue listening to RTÉ Radio 1 on Longwave 252KHz as it can be heard on the move abroad.

The next deadline of January 19th is still looming so; it's hard to know if they can also get this deadline extended indefinitely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

But there are many others who would also wish to continue listening to RTÉ Radio 1 on Longwave 252KHz as it can be heard on the move abroad.

The next deadline of January 19th is still looming so; it's hard to know if they can also get this deadline extended indefinitely?

It's just delaying the inevitable. LW is dead technology, whether they switch it off in January or three years from now, what difference does it make?

Whatever about elderly expats in the UK (an issue which has been completely overblown IMO), RTE should not be providing a service for people "on the move abroad", it's a shocking waste of public money.

It's just delaying the inevitable. LW is dead technology, whether they switch it off in January or three years from now, what difference does it make?

Whatever about elderly expats in the UK (an issue which has been completely overblown IMO), RTE should not be providing a service for people "on the move abroad", it's a shocking waste of public money.

The "save our lifeline" folks think 252 has a long term future in drm mode, You couldn't make it up !

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The "save our lifeline" folks think 252 has a long term future in drm mode, You couldn't make it up !

Proving that they're anoraks, not people with concerns about listeners. Granny with no internet also hasn't got a DRM receiver and the ones that exist are bloody hard to use too

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

Comment v Username = oxymoron?

• Advertisement

Of course longwave has not be a modern technology for decades but it is clearly a lifeline for those who do not have or understand the whole internet concept radio players and so on. Whether it is an Irish ex-pat listening in a stationary spot or on the go - the point is do we want Irish emigrants particularly those not on the internet/up to speed with mobile apps like RTÉ Radio Player able to stay in touch with events in Ireland?

I'm sure that we can all think of many shocking wastes of public money in this country and the cost of keeping RTÉ Radio 1 on LW252 is definitely not top of the list right now. I think Irish Water would be up there at Number ONE spot alright IMO!

Furthermore, I wish those who do not support the idea of keeping RTÉ Radio 1 on LW252 would not assume that all those in favour of maintaining it are "anoraks" just purely for the sake of nostalgia. Many people rely on the service in the format on LW versus other platforms for various reasons and RTÉ have already been forced to reconsider the short-sighted abrupt decision by amending the timetable. They are unlikely to do this for just a few so called "anoraks" let's be honest. I would query how extensive their research was into measuring the numbers who listen via LW252 in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,993 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

its not. its the irish public service broadcaster, and irish x-pats "on the move" are entitled to be able to listen to it as a link to home

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

its not. its the irish public service broadcaster, and irish x-pats "on the move" are entitled to be able to listen to it as a link to home

Here here.

Have any of you seen the photo on facebook of a bunch of oaps in a community centre in leeds holding up a sign saying SOS (save our service) Lw 252 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,847 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Have any of you seen the photo on facebook of a bunch of oaps in a community centre in leeds holding up a sign saying SOS (save our service) Lw 252 ?
    thats taken from an irish post article to publicise the petition it seems

http://www.irishpost.co.uk/news/leeds-irish-join-campaign-save-rte-longwave-service

I suppose you think you are cool slagging off those Senior Citizens who value listening to RTÉ Radio 1 on LW252. Remember, you yourself will also reach the status of "OAP" in years to come and you will eat your own words when a younger man scoffs at your opinions for resisting future changes at a later point in your life! You are obviously clueless at how RTÉ will actually alienate an available loyal audience who are too advanced in age to start investing and learning how to use the latest digital technology at this stage in their lives.

This is all happening at the very same time that the same organisation (i.e.) RTÉ are now giving serious consideration at launching a Television Channel aimed at Irish ex-pats as they are being bombarded by the likes of Irish opt-outs of UK TV channels in addition to launch of UTV Ireland in January.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/sectors/media-and-marketing/rt%C3%A9-considering-tv-service-in-britain-1.1992474

RTÉ want to sell advertising to audiences outside the Republic of Ireland seems to be their current line of thought so; closing LW252 may save on operational costs but will probably not result in many of those OAPs forking out to hear the service by alternative digital methods as they tend to be slow to change as they usually have a substantially lower income once they retire on a pension especially in the UK where it is much lower than in Ireland.

RTÉ are all over the place with their policy in this regard and they did not anticipate such opposition to the decision to close down LW252 and it is similar to the current Irish Government's attempt at making taxpayers agree to pay twice for domestic water rates.

I suppose you think you are cool slagging off those Senior Citizens who value listening to RTÉ Radio 1 on LW252. Remember, you yourself will also reach the status of "OAP" in years to come and you will eat your own words when a younger man scoffs at your opinions for resisting future changes at a later point in your life! You are obviously clueless at how RTÉ will actually alienate an available loyal audience who are too advanced in age to start investing and learning how to use the latest digital technology at this stage in their lives.

This is all happening at the very same time that the same organisation (i.e.) RTÉ are now giving serious consideration at launching a Television Channel aimed at Irish ex-pats as they are being bombarded by the likes of Irish opt-outs of UK TV channels in addition to launch of UTV Ireland in January.
    RTÉ want to sell advertising to audiences outside the Republic of Ireland seems to be their current line of thought so; closing LW252 may save on operational costs but will probably not result in many of those OAPs forking out to hear the service by alternative digital methods as they tend to be slow to change as they usually have a substantially lower income once they retire on a pension especially in the UK where it is much lower than in Ireland.

RTÉ are all over the place with their policy in this regard and they did not anticipate such opposition to the decision to close down LW252 and it is similar to the current Irish Government's attempt at making taxpayers agree to pay twice for domestic water rates.

How did i slag off those Senior Citizens ? I wonder though would the time and effort of petitions. spamming boardsie, Twitter contacting politicians and getting John Waters to write about how great drm is not be better spent helping those Senior Citizens get themselves organized with a freesat connection ? That way they can continue to enjoy the gaa results and Ceili house in much better sound quality and no algerian staion cutting across either.

How did i slag off those Senior Citizens ? I wonder though would the time and effort of petitions. spamming boardsie, Twitter contacting politicians and getting John Waters to write about how great drm is not be better spent helping those Senior Citizens get themselves organized with a freesat connection ? That way they can continue to enjoy the gaa results and Ceili house in much better sound quality and no algerian staion cutting across either.

The term you are looking for is "lobbying" which is exactly what they were doing. You are so busy disregarding those same OAPs many of whom may not be in a financial position to invest in a digital satellite system or invest in a computer system to enable connection to broadband internet just to hear RTÉ Radio 1 from outside the Republic of Ireland. By the way, FREESAT may be subscription free but the equipment is not free of charge so; I'm not sure how anyone can help OAPs get organised with a FREESAT connection unless those concerned already have this equipment in place.

Maybe you think OAPs should also have the latest state of the art sound system because this would also be better than Longwave with it's flaws and occasional interference from other foreign radio stations from time to time but that would be the ideal world for those who just want to maintain the existing link to their homeland without incurring the additional expense which few in the OAP category can afford I imagine.

Like I have said before, this age group are not usually inclined to adapt well to new modern technologies in such a short space of time either for that matter and telling them that they will avoid the sound of Algerian radio if they convert to the digital methods is all very fine for you or me but it is unlikely to result in most of this audience because:

a) expense in purchasing new equipment if they already do not have same and
    b) most OAPs are likely to find it too confusing to access the service

Finally, you mention petitions and spamming - you are no stranger yourself to posting on this forum/Boards.ie so; maybe you should practice what you preach first before you criticise others for articulating their view point. OAPs do NOT need to be patronised if they find it more difficult to change for whatever reason is used by way of justification.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,003 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/sectors/media-and-marketing/rt%C3%A9-considering-tv-service-in-britain-1.1992474

If you read that article it's not as simple as you make it out to be.

It states that RTE are looking at offering services within the UK (It doesn't say a new channel per se; it could also be a relay of RTE's 1 and 2.), that they feel that Sky and UPC should pay them to carry their channels, that they hope to sell ad time on the digital relays within Northern Ireland and that they wish to respond to to the localised ad selling by UK stations within the Irish Market.

In other words, they are considering this on a purely commercial exercise and not as some duty to be an outreach to the Irish diaspora.

This is not remotely similar to Irish Water.

In fact, you could argue that keeping the LW service going is what is similar to Irish water; you object to "paying twice" for water, but you think it's OK for people in Ireland to have to pay to maintain a service for residents of a foreign country?

• Advertisement

you think it's OK for people in Ireland to have to pay to maintain a service for residents of a foreign country?

i do think its okay for the irish people to maintain a service that gives them full coverage when needed, and that is a vital link to home for their fellow irish abroad.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

a) expense in purchasing new equipment if they already do not have same and
    b) most OAPs are likely to find it too confusing to access the service

Two issues the main campaign need to realise in light of their frankly ludicrous claim that Digital Radio Mondiale on LW is a suitable replacement.

i do think its okay for the irish people to maintain a service that gives them full coverage when needed, and that is a vital link to home for their fellow irish abroad.

How many Irish residents tune into LW252 when they're on their holidays? Zero, or close to it I'd say.

As for the Irish abroad, most of them can't pick it up anyway. Why should the elderly Irish in the USA, Canada, Australia be denied it? Should we build a worldwide shortwave network to accommodate them?

This issue is just something to bash RTE and the government over, comparing it to Irish Water is the final proof of that IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Its a privilage, not an entitlement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »

Ah, good old 26-county Nationalism at it's finest :/

yes it is an entitlement, not a privilage.

Banjoxed wrote: »
    Ah, good old 26-county Nationalism at it's finest :/

Care to explain such a stupid comment or are you trolling?

yes it is an entitlement, not a privilage.

No its not. :-)

No its not. :-)
    yes it is

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

ok keep the debate to radio. The other stuff belongs else where

Advertisement