Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Fathers Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,703 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

DanGlee wrote: »
    Question:

This may or may not be a stupid question, but its something thats been bugging me for a little while...

The missus is 7 months preggers now and although she is taking her easy, she's still very active. But whats worrying me a little bit is when she sits down on the couch, she doesn't place herself down slowly, she just slams her arse down as she always did.

I know the baby is in its protective fluid, but I always worry when she does it... I told her about it and she just said "ah shutup, the baby is fine" but we never had one, this is our first so how does she know what damage she is doing?

Maybe I'm just being a little paranoid, but there is no talking to her, she just gets tick when I tell her she shouldn't be doing x, y and z...

Please tell me it all be OK!

Thanks,
    Paranoid dad (to be)
    DG.

I'd be more worried when you get amourous with your missus, nothing a bit of fencing practice for your un-born.
    Just kidding (that is physiologically impossible), it's safe to say there is a LOT of padding between your baby and the couch. A liquid cannot compress therefore it is impossible to bump the child with a knock like that which comes from below. Junior just gets a bit of sloshing around and thinks it's a bit of a laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭DanGlee

duploelabs wrote: »
    I'd be more worried when you get amourous with your missus, nothing a bit of fencing practice for your un-born.
    Just kidding (that is physiologically impossible), it's safe to say there is a LOT of padding between your baby and the couch. A liquid cannot compress therefore it is impossible to bump the child with a knock like that which comes from below. Junior just gets a bit of sloshing around and thinks it's a bit of a laugh

Thanks for that... I feel a little better. (A little more reassured I should say!)

I hate telling her not to do things, cos I know she's frustrated that there are a load of things she can't be doing (drink is one of them :) ) and all the foods she can't eat, as she loves Goats Cheese...

I'm really glad to be a man sometimes...

Thanks again for the quick response.

DG.

Goat's cheese is ok mate as long as it's cooked and any aspect of bacteria is killed off.
    That goes for all unpaturised cheese, as long as it goes above 40 C it's a goer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

can i just ask the dads to be here a question?

im just wondering, my partner seems to be more interested in the baby than i am, im just trying to do normal day to day things as much as possible but he's forever worrying about diet/ what im lifting/ what i feel (e.g. if i get a headache he's googling all possible reasons as to why) how big the bump is getting?...and im only 4 months in!

did you get alll protective like this too?

dont get me wrong im delighted he's paying so much attention and that he's so caring and showing so much interest im just wondering do all guys get so excited?

can i just ask the dads to be here a question?

im just wondering, my partner seems to be more interested in the baby than i am, im just trying to do normal day to day things as much as possible but he's forever worrying about diet/ what im lifting/ what i feel (e.g. if i get a headache he's googling all possible reasons as to why) how big the bump is getting?...and im only 4 months in!

did you get alll protective like this too?

dont get me wrong im delighted he's paying so much attention and that he's so caring and showing so much interest im just wondering do all guys get so excited?
    It's completely subjective as, we men, hardly talk to each other regarding our true feelings. Sure we could talk all day about who's going to suit the Chelsea manager's role, why Paddy Wallace's best suited at 12 rather than out half, or why Megan Fox would but far higher in 'the list' than Angelina, but when it comes to a subject where, in truth we're all a bit '5 year old going into a darken room'-type scared, we completely clam up.
    I have about 7 or 8 mates who's partners are expecting (bit of a boom) and to be honest, I really haven't a clue what they're feeling. All my male friends whom have had children before all seem to get the generic misty eyed look on their faces and mutter, with an almost pre-rehearsed patter, "ah man, it's a life changing experience" whereas most of my first-time brethren, when asked how they feel about the pregnancy or how they're coping with it, misconstrude the question as a social prod to get the drinks in.

In answer to your question, personally I'd be more in the field of 'everything in moderation' camp. Sure have a glass of wine, Goats cheese? make sure it's cooked though, and if we're at a party and someone lit up a cigarette, a quiet word would be whispered in the ear.
    I can't wait till Junior makes an appearance (in about 4-6 weeks) and would take as much interest in development of the baby as my partner. Although I find they majority of pregnancy literature out there really badly written and condescending.
    In short, I guess I can only answer for myself; I am more excited about this than anything in the world but am tempering it all to try and remain solid for herself.

Does that make any sense?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Just felt the baby kicking for the first time(she's felt it for the last few days). Amazing :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Me too > or at least my other half felt the first kicks only a week or ten days ago (eighteen/nineteen weeks).

We have our first scan tomorrow (Wed) morning 8am Hollis Street :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭J2D2

My OH has started to feel little movements and kicks :D Should only be a few days or weeks till I can feel it too :) can't wait, plus it's not long till junior will be able to hear us :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭HJ Simpson

Yeah my wife felt the twins kick for the first time yesterday 20 weeks! She put my hand on her belly to feel it too and I felt a slight movement. Its amazing!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

Hi all,

First time dad to be here:D, been lurking around for a few weeks since we got the news, great thread here I can relate to a lot of things said here.

My wife is 13 weeks in now and we've started to tell people - its still feels strange to be talking about it :rolleyes:

I do feel its a relief to know the first trimester is behind us now....I know its still early days and Im constantly walkin round touching wood and constantly saying things like "please God everything works out" etc....suppose most people are like that?

Im still in the "is this real stage" of proceedings..Its all very momentus for me I guess.

The thought of becoming a dad for the first time is exhilirating and exciting.. mixed with the odd moment of what can only be described as absolute sheer terror:eek: ... Ive no doubt my wife and I will do our utmost to be good parents but ya still wonder if ya have what it takes to do the job well. There's also a feeling of being vulnerable now , ya know like its not just me depending on me...if I make a balls of things its ballsed up for everyone.

Ive started reading "Call Me Dad" my wife picked it up for me, it should be called "So your husband is a moron" :D:Dheheh.... its written in this kinda re assuring way...ya know for us morons;)

The more I read the more I realize I am completely out of my depth as far as parenting goes havent the first clue about anything and am in fact a moron...Its gonna be a steep curve the next 6 months.... I mean is 6 months gonna be enough time to take on board all this information and get adjusted?

eh so that about it , this feels like a therapy session of sorts.

Good luck to the rest of ye...touch wood ....please god an all that:D

Trev

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Spiderman80884

Mrs. Spidey will be 10 weeks preggers on Wednesday. It's a case of hopefully third time lucky in our case and I am nervous as hell! We didn't even get to this stage on the first one so I never really had the chance to get used to the idea (though we had been trying for a while) as such. The second we went to 17 weeks, so went through the whole 'excitement' process all the way up to that point.

Now here we are again and while I am desperately trying to look forward to the third member of our family arriving in September it just feels like it's too far away all things considered, and I am wishing my life away.

That said, there is nothing like the first scan. That little heartbeat pumping away like a jackhammer on jet fuel! Just wish I wasn't so bloody apprehensive.

Hey Spidey ,
    Sorry to hear about that , I guess the worst of it is that ya feel powerless to do anything...obviously being a super hero thats goota be frustrating;) None the less I wish ya the best of luck that things go well for you and Mrs Spidey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

HJ Simpson wrote: »
    Yeah my wife felt the twins kick for the first time yesterday 20 weeks! She put my hand on her belly to feel it too and I felt a slight movement. Its amazing!

im thinking im hosting a soccer team! i felt it kick from outside for the first time last night when i had my hand on my belly! im 21 weeks thursday, i could hardly wait till work this morning just so i could talk about it! (i live alone) :) now it won't stop kicking! it's really pounding at me right now! everyone in work is after getting all excited too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

we had the 20 weeks scan on friday - its a boy !

sorry I just had to tell someone as we're not going public.

my eyes filled up and I could hardly contain myself - it was fantastic to see him swimming about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

Robamerc
    fair play to you both, many congrats, we have our 20 weeks scan week monday so looking forward to it all again.

• Advertisement

RobAMerc wrote: »
    we had the 20 weeks scan on friday - its a boy !

sorry I just had to tell someone as we're not going public.

my eyes filled up and I could hardly contain myself - it was fantastic to see him swimming about

We are about 10 weeks behind you. The first scan (8 weeks) all we saw really was a peanut with a heartbeat. Just got a 10 week scan done yesterday and we have a bigger peanut (with a head) and a heartbeat!

All good so far.

Btw, at 20 weeks, why the secrecy?

Btw, at 20 weeks, why the secrecy?

We're brother and sister.

Only kidding :D - sorry, we're keeping the sex a secret, not the fact she's pregnant, we're telling the world about that !

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭gowayouttadat

RobAMerc wrote: »
    Only kidding :D - sorry, we're keeping the sex a secret, not the fact she's pregnant, we're telling the world about that !

Is that very hard to do??

I didn't want to find out but we're going for a 3D scan so will probably see something then. I want to try and keep it quiet. I know my dad really doesn't want to know until we have the baby but I think I'll burst if I know and can't tell anyone!

a bit - got to be on edge when your talking about "it" not to say he or she - but people only ask once then leave it as they know its very personal

not telling my partner would be tough though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Not at all. I kept it a secret from everyone at work, most of my mates, my brother and my Dad (my sister and Mam wanted to know).

All you have to do is refer to the baby as ...well, "the baby". I never, even in private, referred to the baby as "her" or "she"... kept "the baby" in my head.

I remember when we'd had our 3D scan.... everyone at work knew I was having the scan with the soul intention of gender determination. Went into work the next day, and it went like this :

Workmate : Well!!! How was the scan?!
    Me : Everything's grand, ten fingers, ten toes etc.
    Workmate : Well.... come on, did you find out the sex?!
    Me : I did.
    Workmate : AND?!
    Me : Haha, that's a secret for me and himself only :)
    Workmate : I BET it's a boy!!!!
    Me : *shrug*
    Workmate : A GIRL THEN!!!
    Workmate : Aaah come on, are you really not telling?!
    Me : Nope!
    Workmate : ARGH! You suck. Hurrah baby though!
    Me : Hurrah indeed \o/

Had that conversation endlessly from October until January, when my Maternity Leave started. They'd even say "Oh, I bought you the most gorgeous little blue/pink outfit for the baby" and I'd be like "you should have gotten yellow, green or white. Neutral!"

They tried everything to find out, but if you're determined to keep it a secret, then you will :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

embee wrote: »
    Not at all. I kept it a secret from everyone at work, most of my mates, my brother and my Dad (my sister and Mam wanted to know).

All you have to do is refer to the baby as ...well, "the baby". I never, even in private, referred to the baby as "her" or "she"... kept "the baby" in my head.

I remember when we'd had our 3D scan.... everyone at work knew I was having the scan with the soul intention of gender determination. Went into work the next day, and it went like this :

Workmate : Well!!! How was the scan?!
    Me : Everything's grand, ten fingers, ten toes etc.
    Workmate : Well.... come on, did you find out the sex?!
    Me : I did.
    Workmate : AND?!
    Me : Haha, that's a secret for me and himself only :)
    Workmate : I BET it's a boy!!!!
    Workmate : A GIRL THEN!!!
    Workmate : Aaah come on, are you really not telling?!
    Me : Nope!
    Workmate : ARGH! You suck. Hurrah baby though!
    Me : Hurrah indeed \o/

Had that conversation endlessly from October until January, when my Maternity Leave started. They'd even say "Oh, I bought you the most gorgeous little blue/pink outfit for the baby" and I'd be like "you should have gotten yellow, green or white. Neutral!"

They tried everything to find out, but if you're determined to keep it a secret, then you will :)

Your will get causgt when you refere to it. YTou will say he one day!!!!

Im think its a good idea knowing that way you dont have to paint the room 3 times just twice :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

On my first we had to have a scan and a Amniocentesis which told us the sex of the baby after testing. My wife did not want to know so i asked the Doc who duly informed me it was a Boy. I the said there is now way you will get this from me i am great at keeping a secret.

So cue two hours later on the phone to my mum and blurted out " Sure you will be getting a grandson" in front of the wife!!!!! all red faced i then said "or grand daughter" cat was out of the bag thus she called me all the stupid so and so's under the sun.

This time round we shall get our little peanuts sex and i am under major pressure to keep it between me, the wife and no one else. Still if i get to three hours it should be a good run for me :-)

Haha thanks everyone. We don't know the sex at the moment but we both still have an awful habit of referring to the baby as he for some reason so we'd probably get away with it that way anyway. We'll have to wait and see I suppose!
    I really didn't want to know, I thought it'd be a nice surprise at the end of it all but I know I'm changing my mind. Curiosity is getting the better of me :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

We still havent decided if we're going to find out the sex, not too sure what to do.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

we both still have an awful habit of referring to the baby as he for some reason so we'd probably get away with it that way anyway.

I think that's extremely common, we do the same. The nurse wasn't 100% certain as junior was being awkward on the day of our 20 week scan so we keep referring to it as 'he', but then quickly have to correct ourselves and include 'she' just in case... :D

Dyflin wrote: »
    I think that's extremely common, we do the same. The nurse wasn't 100% certain as junior was being awkward on the day of our 20 week scan so we keep referring to it as 'he', but then quickly have to correct ourselves and include 'she' just in case... :D

Quite common so we refered to the baby as a she and everyone thought we knew the sex. It turned out to be a boy. It will be his ma's fault if he is messed up.

Quite common so we refered to the baby as a she and everyone thought we knew the sex. It turned out to be a boy. It will be his ma's fault if he is messed up.

Just don't call him Sue then! Will definitely be helpul to him further on down the line if you don't call him Sue. :D

Just don't call him Sue then! Will definitely be helpul to him further on down the line if you don't call him Sue. :D

Worse: Joe! he is no carpenter more involved in demolishion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

EKRIUQ wrote: »
    My self and the dear wife just had a positive to result on the Clear Blue test this morning about 4am:)

After 3 1/2 years and wondering why it wasn't happening we decided to get a little bit of help and on our first attempt of IUI we seem to hit the jackpot, still sinking in. I've only ever looked at the "Trying to Conceive" forum before, but now I'm after upgrading to the Pregnant forum!.

Next thing now a scan on the 16th of Feb

Sadly, I wish I could delete that post, as excitableness of that post is replaced with sadness today.smiley_sad.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

Sadly, I wish I could delete that post, as excitableness of that post is replaced with sadness today.smiley_sad.gif

I'm so sorry for you both.. hope that joy returns again sooner rather than later. Take care of each other.

• Advertisement

Sad news indeed, hope you guys cope ok and as Quackles says hope the joy returns to you both sooner rather than later . Stay strong brother, hope ya have someone to lean on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

EKRIUQ the mods are not with out compassion, if you want the post edited just pm one of us or post here.

So sorry to hear that EKRUIQ. Our thoughts are with you.

I wish there was something more constructive I could say to you but having been there myself I know that there is not a lot that can be said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Thaedydal wrote: »
    EKRIUQ the mods are not with out compassion, if you want the post edited just pm one of us or post here.

Thaedydal, I'm sure mods have plenty of compassion :) I don't really want the post deleted it was me more thinking out loud but typing as well, thanks people for your comments been a bit of a hard week but I don't really care about my self it's my wife I feel for.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Son_of_Belial

Hi folks, I have a question first of all, and then I'll explain my situation. Here goes: How common is it for unmarried and pregnant women to decide they are "no longer in love" with the father of their child/their partner? Have any of you experienced/witnessed this? What happened?
    Here's my story:
    I've been with my girlfriend for three years. We lived together in an apartment for the last 10 months but then needed to move back home to our respective parents' houses - she says it's because she could no longer handle the stairs (no lift/elevators). She is now six months' pregnant. Two weeks ago she told me she needed some space to think things out and how she felt about me and our relationship. On Sunday, she broke up with me, telling me she would "always love me", but was "no longer IN love with me". I have pleaded, cajoled and begged her to reconsider, that we could try and work something out but she seems fairly adamant. All she would concede is that she doesn't know how she will feel a few months down the line, (it took me forever to get her to say even that much) but for now she says the likelihood of a reconciliation is extremely remote. She wants to remain friends, and wants to do things together like meet up for coffee etc. because (as she says) I'm her best friend, no one else knows her like I do, and she never wants me out of her life or the life of our little girl. She says I can go to scans, be at the birth etc. but that's as far as it goes. She did actually suggest that we do the whole "friends with benefits" idea (continue to have sex together even though we're no longer a couple) which I vetoed straight off the bat. For the record, if it helps, she's 22 - I'm 26. Everyone says "oh it's her hormones" she'll come round etc., but she claims she began to have doubts about us just before she fell pregnant. Should I listen to these people and stick it out, just (in a sense) start from scratch, take her out to dinner and whatever "as friends" and see what happens? Should I give up on her, start seeing other people and accept that I'm destined to be a single dad? Up until only a month ago or so she had us saving to buy a house, I was secretly paying money off on an engagement ring... Basically do any of you have experience of this? Is it really a hormonal thing? Should I honestly just throw in the towel, or stick by her and, to all intents and purposes start "dating" her again, even though she swears there is no hope and her mind is made up? (She is extremely stubborn!) Comments? Questions? Abuse?! Send them this way...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭beth-lou

Sorry to hear about your situation.

It could be the hormones combined with the reality of a pregnancy and all the responsibility that brings. I did have serious bouts of feeling absolute disdain for my hubby while pregnant the first two times and by my third pregnancy I recognised that this was a bit of a pattern. silly things drove me mad, and i'm normally a very passive person, but at times I was a slave to my emotions. I managed to keep a lid on it though and it did pass. So it could very well be a phase, although I couldn't say for sure as every relationship is different.

I would give her space though, a cooling off period to let the reality of her decision sink in and to let her get her thoughts together. You might actually push her further away by putting pressure on her and the best thing might be to back off. The decision to veto the friends with benefits idea was a wise one. All or nothing, with a commitment to your daughter is the best that you can and should offer. Otherwise you will be left hanging on and she may never have to face the reality of what she thinks she wants.

Give her space, give yourself space and hope for the best. It may all work out in the end. She might just be a bit spooked. I really hope it does work out for you, be good to yourself and be firm about your stance too.

Best of luck. x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭beth-lou

So sorry for you and your wife EKRIUQ .
    I know they don't mean much but my deepest sympathies to you both.

beth-lou wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about your situation.

It could be the hormones combined with the reality of a pregnancy and all the responsibility that brings. I did have serious bouts of feeling absolute disdain for my hubby while pregnant the first two times and by my third pregnancy I recognised that this was a bit of a pattern. silly things drove me mad, and i'm normally a very passive person, but at times I was a slave to my emotions. I managed to keep a lid on it though and it did pass. So it could very well be a phase, although I couldn't say for sure as every relationship is different.

I would give her space though, a cooling off period to let the reality of her decision sink in and to let her get her thoughts together. You might actually push her further away by putting pressure on her and the best thing might be to back off. The decision to veto the friends with benefits idea was a wise one. All or nothing, with a commitment to your daughter is the best that you can and should offer. Otherwise you will be left hanging on and she may never have to face the reality of what she thinks she wants.

Give her space, give yourself space and hope for the best. It may all work out in the end. She might just be a bit spooked. I really hope it does work out for you, be good to yourself and be firm about your stance too.

Best of luck. x

Thanks beth-lou - I'm going to try what you've been saying. I'm supposed to be meeting her for coffee tomorrow, and then dinner on Friday week, so I reckon if I give her space as you suggested it might work out. She rang me there to tell me about her day and she was a little taken aback to hear me sounding cheerful and saying "I'll go with whatever you want to do, if you don't love me anymore, then so be it, there's nothing I can do about it." She remarked that I sounded happy (in reality I was fighting back tears like a spa). We shall see how it goes, fingers crossed, I think the best thing I can do is keep calm and go with the flow for now. I won't admit defeat just yet...

Thanks beth-lou - I'm going to try what you've been saying. I'm supposed to be meeting her for coffee tomorrow, and then dinner on Friday week, so I reckon if I give her space as you suggested it might work out. She rang me there to tell me about her day and she was a little taken aback to hear me sounding cheerful and saying "I'll go with whatever you want to do, if you don't love me anymore, then so be it, there's nothing I can do about it." She remarked that I sounded happy (in reality I was fighting back tears like a spa). We shall see how it goes, fingers crossed, I think the best thing I can do is keep calm and go with the flow for now. I won't admit defeat just yet...

I think that's definitely for the best.

Tbh whether she was pregnant or not it's been a long term relationship and I wouldn't go straight into thinking about dating other people. It's much too soon for that.
    Just give her time and space as beth lou said and see what happens. There's no point pushing it as you'll probably just end up pushing her away. When she sees that you're still there for her and the baby she might change her mind and if she doesn't at least you'll still have a good relationships with your daughters mother which is really important.
    I'd put any thoughts of dating other people out of your mind for a while. You've enough on your plate without even considering that.

• Advertisement

Yeah we'll see what goes on this evening. I have her Mother's Day present for her (well, mother-to-be at least) so that MIGHT soften her a little... I got her one of those pre-natal massage therapy sessions. No, I know dating again isn't quite practical as yet, anyhow, it'd only hurt my chances of her deciding she wants to get back with me. I'm wondering if anyone else has any experience of this sort of situation though. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that it's a hormonal thing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

Yeah we'll see what goes on this evening. I have her Mother's Day present for her (well, mother-to-be at least) so that MIGHT soften her a little... I got her one of those pre-natal massage therapy sessions. No, I know dating again isn't quite practical as yet, anyhow, it'd only hurt my chances of her deciding she wants to get back with me. I'm wondering if anyone else has any experience of this sort of situation though. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that it's a hormonal thing...

Hope you're right, that's one horrific situation you're in. You are one great guy to be so patient, don't think my husband would be as understanding!

Thanks Quackles. There's not a whole lot I can do in fairness. Anyhow, the doom and gloom status has been reduced to her saying she "probably will" get back together with me - which is certainly better than "not goin to happen"... Taking this one one day at a time...

Jaysus, this thread seems to have lost a bit of steam. I had been looking for it but didn't realise it was made a sticky. Just found it now.

We're having a 20 week scan tomorrow. It's been up and down so far with two bleeds and a hospital visit. Rollercoaster stuff. Anyway, that said there's been a fair bit of movement over the last few weeks (and a few mood swings!) so generally happy with that.

How's everyone else doing?

My OH is 30 weeks in now, not much longer to go. Time has just flown. We still don't know the sex and I think it's all the more exciting because of it :D
    Although everyone thinks it's a girl, as she's quite small so far.(Apparently) But My OH's grandmother told me that if it's a boy I'll be out of the will :pac: Still hoping for a boy though :D I want to be playing with Lego not dolls!

@Spiderman: Congrats, hope all is well. Won't be long more till ye feel it kicking properly. Best of luck!

Into our 6th week now and our little one has colic and reflux, all I can say to any expectant fathers is 'sleep while you can'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭flanzer

duploelabs wrote: »
    Into our 6th week now and our little one has colic and reflux, all I can say to any expectant fathers is 'sleep while you can'

Tough luck duplo, our little one had it for a couple of days, but used Gavison Infant and it cleared it up pronto!

She's 7 months old and now laughs in the face of reflux but unfortunately the teething has started and beginning to have unsettled sleeps. Once you get over one thing something else pops up!

Nothing can turn me off now. We had our 20 week scan today and found out the sex of the child. The pictures they gave us are superb. I've been walking around with a huge smile on me mush all day!!

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭DanGlee

Had a little boy just over two weeks, hes the best ever... but we have a slightly different problem (nothing too serious!)

We own a Nissa Micra and it's the smallest crappiest car in the world (well... for a baby - it runs spot on otherwise) so need to big up to something more roomy (plus we maybe have a 2nd child, so defo need the space)

Does anybody have any good suggestions?

We don't have much money to spend, prob €4k max. We were looking at either a Vectra or Mondeo (2002 / 2003 models) 1.6 or 1.8, basic specs. They are available for around that price range!

Any thoughts on these? Took Vectra for a spin today, was lovely to drive, missus loved it?

Any other idea's for cars? What do other dad's have thats 4 door with a big boot and reliable and cheap-ish?

flanzer wrote: »
    Tough luck duplo, our little one had it for a couple of days, but used Gavison Infant and it cleared it up pronto!

She's 7 months old and now laughs in the face of reflux but unfortunately the teething has started and beginning to have unsettled sleeps. Once you get over one thing something else pops up!
    Yeah, she's diagnosed with reflux and colic so we've been thru cranial sacrel, homeopathy, gaviscon infant, colic calm, colief, infacol, gripe water, acupuncture, and think we've finally nailed it with zantec and baby massage.....well I say nailed it but we've had two nights of relative calm, let's just hope it lasts.

DanGlee wrote: »
    Had a little boy just over two weeks, hes the best ever... but we have a slightly different problem (nothing too serious!)

We own a Nissa Micra and it's the smallest crappiest car in the world (well... for a baby - it runs spot on otherwise) so need to big up to something more roomy (plus we maybe have a 2nd child, so defo need the space)

Does anybody have any good suggestions?

We don't have much money to spend, prob €4k max. We were looking at either a Vectra or Mondeo (2002 / 2003 models) 1.6 or 1.8, basic specs. They are available for around that price range!

Any thoughts on these? Took Vectra for a spin today, was lovely to drive, missus loved it?

Any other idea's for cars? What do other dad's have thats 4 door with a big boot and reliable and cheap-ish?

Well I'm driving a 99 Ford Focus, it's very spacious and has a good big boot but as the baby isn't here yet I haven't needed to put in a buggy or anything yet, although the measurements seem to suggest it'll fit very comfortably, so the boot is nice and large.

My car is a 1.4 petrol, plenty of power and decent on the milage. I reckon you'd have plenty of space in a Focus or a Mondeo, nice cars to drive too, reliability is really dependant on the age. Mine has been alright, but a few ageing parts have needed replacing over the year.

I'm pretty happy with my car and I reckon it'd be big enough for another kid or two if it happens. Pick which ever ye prefer, there won't be much of a difference at the end of the day.

• Advertisement
Advertisement