Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland vs Australia match thread, Saturday 22nd Nov. KO 4:30PM

Options
  • 21-11-2014 1:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,003 ✭✭✭✭

Note; sorry it's so late :)

Ireland vs. Australia. Aviva, Saturday 22th November, KO 4:30PM. Live TV on RTE 2/HD and Sky Sports 2/HD from 4PM. Live radio on RTE 2FM.

irfu-social.gif

australie.png
    Ireland

15. Rob Kearney (UCD/Leinster) 56
    14. Tommy Bowe (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster) 55
    13. Robbie Henshaw (Buccaneers/Connacht) 4
    12. Gordon D'Arcy (Lansdowne/Leinster) 80
    11. Simon Zebo (Cork Constitution/Munster) 10
    10. Jonathan Sexton (Racing Metro 92) 46
    9. Conor Murray (Garryowen/Munster) 29
    1. Jack McGrath (St. Mary's College/Leinster) 11
    2. Rory Best (Banbridge/Ulster) 77
    3. Mike Ross (Clontarf/Leinster) 43
    4. Devin Toner (Lansdowne/Leinster) 19
    5. Paul O'Connell (Young Munster/Munster) 95 (capt)
    6. Peter O'Mahony (Cork Constitution/Munster) 24
    7. Rhys Ruddock (St. Mary's College/Leinster) 4
    8. Jamie Heaslip (Naas/Leinster) 68

Replacements:

16. Sean Cronin (St. Mary's College/Leinster) 37
    17. Dave Kilcoyne (UL Bohemians/Munster) 12
    18. Rodney Ah You (Buccaneers/Connacht) 3
    19. Dave Foley (UL Bohemians/Munster) 1
    20. Tommy O'Donnell (UL Bohemians/Munster) 6
    21. Eoin Reddan (Lansdowne/Leinster) 57
    22. Ian Madigan (Blackrock/Leinster) 12
    23. Felix Jones (Shannon/Munster) 8

Australia

15. Israel Folau (NSW Waratahs) 27
    14. Adam Ashley-Cooper (NSW Waratahs) 102
    13. Tevita Kuridrani (ACT Brumbies) 19
    12. Matt Toomua (ACT Brumbies) 19
    11. Henry Speight (ACT Brumbies) *
    10. Bernard Foley (NSW Waratahs) 16
    9. Nick Phipps (NSW Waratahs) 26
    1. James Slipper (Queensland Reds) 61
    2. Saia Fainga'a (Queensland Reds) 34
    3. Sekope Kepu (NSW Waratahs) 50
    4. Sam Carter (ACT Brumbies) 9
    5. Rob Simmons (Queensland Reds) 48
    6. Luke Jones (Melbourne Rebels) 1
    7. Michael Hooper (NSW Waratahs) 40 (capt)
    8. Ben McCalman (Western Force) 36

Replacements:

16. James Hanson (Queensland Reds)
    17. Benn Robinson (NSW Waratahs)
    18. Tetera Faulkner (Western Force)
    19. Will Skelton (NSW Waratahs)
    20. Jake Schatz (Queensland Reds)
    21. Will Genia (Queensland Reds)
    22. Quade Cooper (Queensland Reds)
    23 Kurtley Beale (NSW Waratahs).

Preview. Ah, Australia.

A team that always comes across as being a giant whom are beatable yet when push comes to shove you rarely ever beat. Oddly enough, they are also a county that rarely ever come across as a threat when compared to, say the All Blacks or the Springboks yet just when you think you have their number, you don't. Just like they were last November.

Or indeed this November.

You see, it’s hardly 5 weeks ago since their rugby team was in apparent meltdown. Ewan McKenzie hadn't long taken over from Robbie Deans and a new dawn threatened. It came but in a disastrous way; controversial team selections, an alleged affair and many dressing room arguments dominated the back pages and clearly affected team morale. It was their version of Irish Water only worse!

By the time he resigned, the Wallabies had a win loss record of just 50%; even then it was padded up with a good 2013 tour. With all this mess in mind Mike Cheike had something of a task as coach to a team that he hadn’t picked. He has managed to pluck a win against what we now know is a poor Wales team and a close defeat to France; this weekend now is the must win game for their the tour and for their sins, they have the in form team of the moment yet whom are possibly at their weakest in a long time.

post2.jpg

Head to head. Much is being made of this being a battle between two ex Leinster coaches but it's more so now a change of Ireland consolidating their 3rd place in the IRB rankings.

Two weeks ago the talk was about how much Ireland could hold the Springboks to given the extent of the injured list and wether the young and untested back line was ready for world rugby. Come 8PM the talk was about a genial team selection and a monster work count, the pack especially.

Toner and O’Connell dominated the line out after a couple of early wobbles but the tight set piece left a lot to be desired, Ross not having one of his better shifts packing down. Granted he was carrying an injury but even so the front row were found wanting far too much for test rugby, only settling down late in the game as subs came on. James Slipper needs to be looking to disrupt Ross and Best at scrum time to exploit them both and to force clean penalties. On the other side, Kepu had Cian Healy bought and sold big time last year; this week in McGrath he has a far more solid loosehead to deal with .

irelands-jack-mcgrath-390x285.jpg

In the loose, Best is no Sean O’Brien but he is still legendary for disruption at the breakdown and will help the Wallaby’s from bullying Ireland at the ruck. Ruddock will also make things hard here in an area that has traditionally been a stronghold for the visitors but which has been found somewhat wanting on tour this year.

Behind the scrum it gets more interesting. Phipps and Foley are a great half back partnership but so too are Murray and Sexton; they controlled the space game beautifully 2 weeks ago and have the respect of their back.

Henry+Speight+Super+Rugby+Rd+14+Force+v+Brumbies+i20ZH_StcRbl.jpg

Henry Speight (Above.) makes his debut at blind winger and will definitely relish having ball in hand against Simon Zebo, a player who has flattered to deceive this year in spite of his try last week and who must pull his socks up. Folau is a match for Robert Kearney at full back but for me the midfield battle will be decisive. Henshaw had a big game in spite of little clean ball and defended as if he was Eddie Halvey in disguise. This week sees D’arcy partner him with both having a lot to prove if the ball is clean enough to get their way.

Their opposite numbers played here last year, Tevita Kuridrani being red carded for a tip tackle on Peter O’Mahony late in the game. Their direct running line complements Folau’s searing line breaks; my guess is for them to try offload as much and as quickly as possible and to try avoid maul situations as much as possible If picked on the bench, Beale will almost definitely come into the centre late in the game as tacklers tire.

Verdict. You have two teams here. One is in form and coming off a massive victory even with a depleted squad while the other is in a jock and whom didn’t impress over the last 3 weeks. Cheika will get his squad right in time for RWC but this weekend isn’t the time for him to be doing it, good and all a coach as he is. His team has the makings of it and they will fight, but they won’t fight well enough on Saturday. Ireland to win by 11 points and to wonder what in Gods name the Lansdowne Cup is :)

Oh and if anybody is wondering about the relationship between ex Leinster coaches Joe and Mike....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭George Hook

Come on Ireland!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,756 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Good write up Losty.

One question, who is the man in the middle? Is it Nige?

Edit- checked and it's Glen Jackson. Owens is toych judge. I suppose the younger refs need big games and Jackson is probably one of the best young refs around. Helps that he played to a decent standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Pumped for this, the centre partners we've been expecting for a year get their first run out

• Registered Users Posts: 13,003 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

bilston wrote: »
    Good write up Losty.

One question, who is the man in the middle? Is it Nige?

Edit- checked and it's Glen Jackson. Owens is toych judge. I suppose the younger refs need big games and Jackson is probably one of the best young refs around. Helps that he played to a decent standard.

You know something but most of the news sites don't seen too bothered to mention referees at all. Given their central role in games, it is unusual but there ya go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Great opening post OP!

I too think that Ireland can win this one, if they do it will be a great boost going into the 6 nations and the World Cup. Then again too much could be expected of them if they were to.

I like schmidt as head coach, think he grounds the players well.

All in all should be a great game, bring it on!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

why is Edna there --

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭crybaby

22nd november not the 20th

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

I don't know what will happen in the scrum but I worry more about the backs e.g. how Henshaw and Zebo will work together in defence. Foley also looks in nice kicking form and should make full use of the penalties he is given unlike some of his predecessors.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,560 ✭✭✭clsmooth

On the other side, Kepu had Cian Healy bought and sold big time last year; this week in McGrath he has a far more solid loosehead to deal with .

Folau is a match for Robert Kearney at full back but for me the midfield battle will be decisive.

Great post, although these 2 views I'd debate. Im not sure McGrath is that much better than Healy in the scrum if at all. And Folau is more than a match for Kearney, RK is a great full back, but Folau is one of the best players in the world. Watching him in the flesh is where you notice he's head and shoulders above most others on the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

One thing i'm not buying? They won't be tired and we won't have an edge because of fatigue. They've backed up for three weeks now and fitness wise been more than a match for their opponents. At the end of a brutal test match last week they finished by far the stronger against France. See no reason why thats gonna change.

I actually think Australia will produce a big performance. Which isn't a bad thing. If we manage to win a game like that confidence and optimism would go through the roof. Again, not a bad thing.

Ireland by 3 in another brutal (as in tough;)) game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭redmca2

There is no doubt in my mind that Ireland can and should win this match. The greatest test is to deliver a performance going in as favourites, a perennial problem for Ireland over the years.

I am encouraged by our win in Paris in March when we did go there as favourites and deliver ...... just.

Thanks to JS I think the team is growing mentally into the right place to do what the All Blacks do day in day out -- win from the front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Now that's a preview!
    Henry Speight (Above.) makes his debut at blind winger and will definitely relish having ball in hand against Simon Zebo, a player who has flattered to deceive this year in spite of his try last week and who must pull his socks up.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Great preview Losty - just change the date! Yes, I think Ireland should be able to win here, but it will be hard work. Can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Haha, why is is there a pic of Joe, Enda and Herb Hribar?

EDIT: Ah, a "feel good story".... http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/in-pictures-taoiseach-enda-kenny-has-got-another-wallop-29649532.html

Good man Joe.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,842 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Is there anything to be said for an auld Poll for the score spread?

I could still see this going either way. Anywhere between Ireland by 15 or Australia by 15.

If Ireland are acccurate, they should get it. Joe's tactics call for accuracy, and it will be needed tomorrow. I'd fancy us.

P*ssing rain in Dublin at the moment but forecast is for a dry day tomorrow and not much wind, should make for a good game.

Can't wait for this now.

.ak wrote: »

EDIT: Ah, a "feel good story".... http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/in-pictures-taoiseach-enda-kenny-has-got-another-wallop-29649532.html

Good man Joe.

It's nice to see the nations most important leader can take time out of his schedule to talk to Enda Kenny

.ak wrote: »

Good man Joe.

Great effort there from Joe. Better luck next time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

You know something but most of the news sites don't seen too bothered to mention referees at all. Given their central role in games, it is unusual but there ya go.
    The flipside of that is you have the likes of Thornley who talks about the refs way too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

vienne86 wrote: »
    Great effort there from Joe. Better luck next time!

He kicked a ball into Enda's face. Pretty sure that's winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 StoneGrey

Fascinating stat by Toland in the Times today, out of the 200+ tackles Oz made against Wales and France, Foley only made two of them.

Currently being discussed on the leinster thread:

VIPIrelandImage137194-1200x1027.jpg

Is Ferg the 24th man? Or was he just cycling past the Shelbourne and decided to stop for a chat with Paulie?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Heard it suggested that the performance is more important for Ireland than the win. Might I respectfully suggest fook that! This is a massive season for us, as reigning champions (in a "hard year") we have a great shot at two championships in a row, if not possibly a Grand Slam. And then a l'il old World Cup after that.

I think a big performance that still leads to a defeat would be a set-back for us. "Even if we perform well, we still lose at home". For me, we need to be in the winning habit going into this season. "Even if we make lots of mistakes, we still win". SA was the perfect example of that, blown away in the scrum and losing several lineouts, and still winning by 14 points. That's the kind of game that starts players believing they can go all the way. A win at all costs!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

McFadden was on The Last Word til 6.45 or so and Today FM isn't too far from the Shelbourne so he was definitely in the area anyway.

No lights on his bike though Tut tut tut

Currently being discussed on the leinster thread:

Is Ferg the 24th man? Or was he just cycling past the Shelbourne and decided to stop for a chat with Paulie?

Cycling at night, no lights, no high vis, no helmet, no reflectors on a fixie. His commute possibly more likely to get him injured than his day job.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,842 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

He's just helping to bring in the fitness kit. Ahem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭George Hook

Wait... why do the get so many guys on the bench?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

who_me wrote: »
    Heard it suggested that the performance is more important for Ireland than the win. Might I respectfully suggest fook that! This is a massive season for us, as reigning champions (in a "hard year") we have a great shot at two championships in a row, if not possibly a Grand Slam. And then a l'il old World Cup after that.

I think a big performance that still leads to a defeat would be a set-back for us. "Even if we perform well, we still lose at home". For me, we need to be in the winning habit going into this season. "Even if we make lots of mistakes, we still win". SA was the perfect example of that, blown away in the scrum and losing several lineouts, and still winning by 14 points. That's the kind of game that starts players believing they can go all the way. A win at all costs!!

Fair point but I think there has to be some freedom and risks taken that wouldn't be in a 6N decider for example, ultimately in the grand scheme of this season this game doesn't mean much. Basically a good performance would mean more to me than grinding out a 3-0 win, although there is value in keeping that winning mentality I admit

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement