Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Virgin Media Television thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Carnacalla wrote: »
    The cancellation of Late Lunch Live and replacing it with The 7 O'clock show is a smart and strategic decision by TV3. If its any good it may get a few viewers.

Is life still going ahead?

Basically TV3 are moving daytime tv to prime time, lazy & unimaginative rather than strategic IMO

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Apparently so. Time will tell whether there's room for both UTV and TV3 in the market, I'd like to think they're not mutually exclusive. The real challenge for TV3 will happen if they were to lose rights to their remaining ITV shows - particularly the massively rating Thames/Syco shows - to UTV. But I believe they're tied up for a good few years yet. The breakfast tv battle is interesting but ultimately we live in a country where Morning Ireland's ratings dwarfs them both put together

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I think if RTE were to put Morning Ireland onto TV with the sound being played on radio, it would wipe the floor with them both.

They already sort of do this with the web-cam on RTE New Now, but put a proper auto TV studio on the job and leave it on RTE NN or put it onto RTE 1 and it could do well. I do not know how many viewers they get at the moment, but it is not pushed at all and the RTE NN picture is pants.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭EB_2013

How many times has this show been moved around. Didn't it go out in the morning before and was then switched to the afternoon. I can't see them getting many viewers at 7pm especially if they are up against Emmerdale and RTE.

Also Lucy Kennedy has to be the most unprofessional tv host I've ever witnessed. She's all over the place when presenting. Very hard to watch and Martin's no better either.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

When watching Tonight with Vincent Brown, I keep thinking 'Whatever happened to the other elderly curmudgeon from the Muppet Show?'

Oh well, he might turn up on another channel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭iseegirls

EB_2013 wrote: »
    How many times has this show been moved around. Didn't it go out in the morning before and was then switched to the afternoon. I can't see them getting many viewers at 7pm especially if they are up against Emmerdale and RTE.

No, it started at 2:30, and then moved to 3:30pm. Not everyone watches Emmerdale as well (average 250,000), it's giving an alternative to those who don't like the soaps. The One Show has built up a loyal audience on BBC1, when before that slot used to be a struggle for BBC to get any sort of audience. That is what TV3 are hoping here.

Life is going out on Friday nights at 8pm for 6 weeks too.

iseegirls wrote: »
    No, it started at 2:30, and then moved to 3:30pm. Not everyone watches Emmerdale as well (average 250,000), it's giving an alternative to those who don't like the soaps. The One Show has built up a loyal audience on BBC1, when before that slot used to be a struggle for BBC to get any sort of audience. That is what TV3 are hoping here.

Life is going out on Friday nights at 8pm for 6 weeks too.

RTÉ ONE gets a similar audience to Emmerdale at that time, with RTÉ2 getting around 80,000 for its set of US Sitcoms.

The Morning Show was axed in favour of Late Lunch Live, moved to 2:30 and then move to 3:30 and now renamed as The 7 O'Clock Show.

BBC ONE's The One Show has good name guest each night plus outside reports. If this is just a case of TV3 moving the show to 7 O'Clock without a completely new set or a set of new graphics, a good guest each night (for an hour rather than 30mins!) and reports from across the country then I cannot see it lasting long.

Expect it to be repeated at 3:30 in replace of LLL.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Oh come on! The graham norton on tv now is really old!

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Oh come on! The graham norton on tv now is really old!

You think that's bad, they've been repeating Saturday Night Takeaway episodes from last year on Saturday night's and Sunday afternoon's lately. Surely there's something better to stick on.

They have it billed as The Best Of The Graham Norton Show, so it would obviously be a repeat of an older episode. They don't have the rights to the newer ones, and so just use the seasons they have rights to. If it wasn't performing well, they wouldn't have put them on, but it seems like they are increasing the best ofs in a few weeks time, so they must be getting the viewership.

Same goes for Ant and Dec, it's been getting viewers over 100,000 on Saturday night, so the audience is still there for it. Be interesting to see how the newer episodes do on UTVi next month.

• Advertisement

I wonder will they put the repeats of Ant and Dec up against the new series over on UTVi to try and take some viewers away.

I can't believe 100,000 people watch a repeat from a year ago. Crazy stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 chasingdragons

TV3's new look afternoons from February 16.

17:30 The 5:30
    18:00 Xpose
    19:00 The 7 O' Clock Show

Good to see a 'strong' Irish line-up

TV3's new look afternoons from February 16.

17:30 The 5:30
    18:00 Xpose
    19:00 The 7 O' Clock Show

Good to see a 'strong' Irish line-up

Evenings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 chasingdragons

Elmo wrote: »
    Evenings?

Oh crap that English degree was wasted on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Well all them programs are "after"noon.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,082 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

TV3 trying to copy BBC's The One Show?

Lucy and Martin...meh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

Oh crap that English degree was wasted on me.
    So much so they closed their account.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Flip Flop

I notice TV3 appear to have axed all their quiz shows. "The Lie" has been dropped from the 7.00 slot abruptly despite having 10 unaired episodes left to show. They also stopped showing both "The Algorithm" and "Sitting on a Fortune" with five unaired episodes each left. I'm assuming all three had terrible ratings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Flip Flop wrote: »
    I notice TV3 appear to have axed all their quiz shows. "The Lie" has been dropped from the 7.00 slot abruptly despite having 10 unaired episodes left to show. They also stopped showing both "The Algorithm" and "Sitting on a Fortune" with five unaired episodes each left. I'm assuming all three had terrible ratings.

"The Lie" was halfway watchable.
    "The Algorithm" and "Sitting on a Fortune" were pure muck though.
    Don't worry, they won't let them go to waste and will all be shown twice or three times between tv3 and 3e.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Flip Flop

mikom wrote: »
    "The Lie" was halfway watchable.
    "The Algorithm" and "Sitting on a Fortune" were pure muck though.
    Don't worry, they won't let them go to waste and will all be shown twice or three times between tv3 and 3e.

Agree with you about "The Algorithm" and "Sitting on a Fortune". I enjoyed "The Lie" though. Wish they would use 3e to burn off unaired episodes.

• Advertisement

Flip Flop wrote: »

Yep they gave up on The Algorithm very quickly, after dropping it 5.40pm after 2 weeks. Now it's completely gone. Sitting On A Fortune held on to the 7pm slot for 5 weeks, before The X Factor, but never once made it into the Top 20.

The Lie enjoyed success in its first season, and the 5 episodes they aired on S2 last year - but that is mainly thanks to the programming surrounding it, as it was sandwiched inbetween Corrie. Without those programmes this year, the quiz show failed to live up to the ratings last year. It was better when it was once a week though, I feel.

Nothing from Crossfire since it ended. That did ok in the ratings, but again was helped by the programmes surrounding it.

Sybil Mulcahy is taking redundancy at TV3. Said she'll still work with them and even UTV Ireland if the right job offers were there, on a contract basis. Would love a Nationwide type job.

I'd say this decision was an easy one for her to take, after Life was stripped back to a 6 episode show, and her involvement in Midday being very small since the axing of The Morning Show.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

iseegirls wrote: »
    Sybil Mulcahy is taking redundancy at TV3. Said she'll still work with them and even UTV Ireland if the right job offers were there, on a contract basis. Would love a Nationwide type job.

I'd say this decision was an easy one for her to take, after Life was stripped back to a 6 episode show, and her involvement in Midday being very small since the axing of The Morning Show.

Will anyone miss Sybil on tv?

no

1 All Star Family Fortunes 149
    2 The Restaurant 149
    3 FILM: Evelyn 141
    4 Red Rock 133
    5 Tonight With Vincent Browne 124
    6 Red Rock 120
    7 The People's Debate 107
    8 All Star Mr & Mrs 106
    9 The Cube 104
    10 Judge Judy 101
    11 Danger! Amanda At Work 101
    12 Judge Judy 96
    13 Xpose 94
    14 Wentworth 86
    15 The Holiday Show 85
    16 Tonight With Vincent Browne 84
    17 Broadchurch 84
    18 Judge Judy 84
    19 Xpose 82
    20 Xpose 82

Will be interesting to see how the month went overall.
    Red Rock hasn't done badly
    Really TV3 are back to square one
    Again note that these figures are Adult only (+15) and doesn't include News programmes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭endakenny

2 The Restaurant 149
    4 Red Rock 133
    6 Red Rock 120
    8 All Star Mr & Mrs 106
    9 The Cube 104
    10 Judge Judy 101
    12 Judge Judy 96
    13 Xpose 94
    14 Wentworth 86
    15 The Holiday Show 85
    17 Broadchurch 84
    18 Judge Judy 84
    19 Xpose 82
    20 Xpose 82

Again note that these figures are Adult only (+15) and doesn't include News programmes.
    Who watches TV3 News anyway?!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

ratings are terrible

endakenny wrote: »
    Who watches TV3 News anyway?!

According to some paper they have 140,000 viewers for the 5:30

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

2 The Restaurant 149
    4 Red Rock 133
    6 Red Rock 120
    8 All Star Mr & Mrs 106
    9 The Cube 104
    10 Judge Judy 101
    12 Judge Judy 96
    13 Xpose 94
    14 Wentworth 86
    15 The Holiday Show 85
    17 Broadchurch 84
    18 Judge Judy 84
    19 Xpose 82
    20 Xpose 82

Dear god almighty those viewing figures are brutal... "Rare Breed" - a farming show on UTV has a higher rating then any programme on TV3 :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

Have TV3 ever use the Sony HD Studio and transmitted any HD programs?

Advertisement