Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Premier View

Thanks and of course it is early doors. Still I feel he should remember Clare
    murdered us last year in the Crystal, and it turned out to be a fair indicator of where both teams went. Also Cork were amazing in the first league match and destroyed us. I remember him saying after the Clare Waterford Crystal match, we are targeting the Cork match? I dident hear Brian Cody saying they were only interested in the first league match ,they lay down a marker from game one. I do agree with you its early, but it is a big year for management as well as players, our selectors were a mixed bag last year. I hope they are not going to do the usual, we thought after the League Final, they had something up their sleeve, and we would turn it on in the Championship. Turned out they had nothing at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

murdered us last year in the Crystal, and it turned out to be a fair indicator of where both teams went. Also Cork were amazing in the first league match and destroyed us. I remember him saying after the Clare Waterford Crystal match, we are targeting the Cork match? I dident hear Brian Cody saying they were only interested in the first league match ,they lay down a marker from game one. I do agree with you its early, but it is a big year for management as well as players, our selectors were a mixed bag last year. I hope they are not going to do the usual, we thought after the League Final, they had something up their sleeve, and we would turn it on in the Championship. Turned out they had nothing at all.

KK lost their opening two league games last year and had an equally dissapointing championship as Tipp :confused:

Plus do you really think that what the management say to the press is the same as what is said behind closed doors? Having attended most of the games played so far this year I can assure you Tipp are miles ahead of where they were 12 months ago and that can only be a good thing.

Thanks great post. Still I would not get carried away with how they are going in training. They were flying in training before the ill-fated All-Ireland Semi-Final against KK. They were then beaten by a cricket score. Tipperary tend to flatter to deceive. Davy Fitz is not afraid to call it as he sees it to the press. O'Shea may well be doing the cloak and dagger approach, A lot of Managers and players throw out the usual boring sound bites. While its a new season, signs are not much has changed. No much new blood, which is amazing to be honest. Shane Mc Grath persisted with, I would advise caution to the Tipp faithful, we normally end up being short changed.

Thanks great post. Still I would not get carried away with how they are going in training. They were flying in training before the ill-fated All-Ireland Semi-Final against KK. They were then beaten by a cricket score. Tipperary tend to flatter to deceive. Davy Fitz is not afraid to call it as he sees it to the press. O'Shea may well be doing the cloak and dagger approach, A lot of Managers and players throw out the usual boring sound bites. While its a new season, signs are not much has changed. No much new blood, which is amazing to be honest. Shane Mc Grath persisted with, I would advise caution to the Tipp faithful, we normally end up being short changed.

Shane McGrath has been converted to wingback and has been Tipps outstanding player in everygame so far this year, he simply no longer had the engine required for midfield and his confidence also suffered as a result of his poor form and frustration, I would have culled him from the panel on the back of 2012 and 2013 but to be fair to O'Shea McGrath has been superb thus far.

The were flying in training in 2012 that is evidenced by the hammering they gave Waterford in the Munster Final, 35 mins against KK ( remember there was a single point in it at HT) does not change that, yes it was a new low for Tipp but we need to move on from that.

I wouldn't be putting Davy up there on any pedestal either, his CV prior to last year was extremly hit and miss, with alot more of the latter, he inherited the most talented group of players ever to appear in Clare, a blank cheque book, a nice handy route (that they nearly fcuked up against Wexford) and they still were extremely lucky to overcome a very average Cork team despite being clearly superior.

I have noticed the past week a number of Tipp fans referencing last years Waterford Crystal final as some sort of seminal moment and how it was very clear all was doomed in Tipp and that was where Clare put their marker down, but fail to reference the league game a couple of months later where we handed them their ars*s on a plate?

Agreed. You tend to read into what bears out you own argument. We did indeed hammer them in the league, it was strange the path both teams went on after that. We went on to the final, and they had to contest a relegation play-off!
    The path to an All-Ireland seemed a long way off for the Banner there. It could be it was one of those years, where events conspired to down Kilkenny and Tipp. I pray that was the case. I think it was a golden opportunity lost for us though, we had been knocking on the door for a few years, and if we had of beaten the Cats; i think it was ours for the taking.

• Advertisement

Agreed. You tend to read into what bears out you own argument. We did indeed hammer them in the league, it was strange the path both teams went on after that. We went on to the final, and they had to contest a relegation play-off!
    The path to an All-Ireland seemed a long way off for the Banner there. It could be it was one of those years, where events conspired to down Kilkenny and Tipp. I pray that was the case. I think it was a golden opportunity lost for us though, we had been knocking on the door for a few years, and if we had of beaten the Cats; i think it was ours for the taking.

Agreed and I still maintain that if Lar had not have come off injured we would have won that game, and I go as far as saying a litlle comfortably, he had Murphy in all sorts of bother, and look at Murphy's performance after Lar came off, he was the match winner for the cats.

That was a desperately unlucky draw aswell, I firmly believe if we had gotten Clares draw and were allowed to build momentum like they were we were more than capable of being champions, but of course we should never have been in that position, the defeat to Limerick having foutght back to lead was inexcusible.

All will be revealed in the coming months and I for one can't bloody wait :D

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

Clare 3 05 tipp 1 10 half time attendence 1248 tipp started da better clare finished da half da stronger

Tipp 4 16 clare 3 09

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Considering the strength of both teams out tonight that's a fantastic return from a very very experimental Tipp team

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Ompala

Not getting carried away given its only February but great win by the lads tonight.
    For anyone at the match any stand out performances? Sounds like Denis Maher had a stormer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Any day we hammer Clare is a good day,no matter if it's only second teams out on the field.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

There were certain posters here getting worried after the Kerry game. Hopefully we won't have people getting overexcited at this result.

It's been stated previously that games this time of year mean very little, just managers trying out different lads and experimenting in general. Though I feel this team is low on confidence so I'd take any win now. It's good that the lesser known lads are putting their hands up.

I'd imagine that eos will be doing quite a bit of experimenting in the league also.
    A lot of us-fans and pundits-thought last years championship was going to be a 2 horse race on league form, how wrong we were. I'd be surprised enough if we're down to the final One or two this year.

ya denis maher had a great game particulary 2nd half great direct running out of him something wev been long missing.must say the last 2 games ive been fair impressed with seamie callanan.he must have been told up the workrate or your gone.looks a total different player this year,getting right stuck in he has been hopfully he keeps it up.shane mcgrath has been in top form since start of the year too.great game to watch tonight,conditions were perfect not a drop of rain til the end of the match.thats the first bit of silverwear and hopfully its a repeat of 2001 when we done the clean sweep.like the black eyed peas sang IVE A GOT A FEELING :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Xenophile

digzy wrote: »
    There were certain posters here getting worried after the Kerry game. Hopefully we won't have people getting overexcited at this result.

It's been stated previously that games this time of year mean very little, just managers trying out different lads and experimenting in general. Though I feel this team is low on confidence so I'd take any win now. It's good that the lesser known lads are putting their hands up.

I'd imagine that eos will be doing quite a bit of experimenting in the league also.
    A lot of us-fans and pundits-thought last years championship was going to be a 2 horse race on league form, how wrong we were. I'd be surprised enough if we're down to the final One or two this year.

So Clare banged in three goals in the first half and Tipp banged in three in the second. We needed these goals and we must keep on learning how to score them! Goals win matches, if nothing else Kilkenny in their best days taught us this.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Xenophile wrote: »
    So Clare banged in three goals in the first half and Tipp banged in three in the second. We needed these goals and we must keep on learning how to score them! Goals win matches, if nothing else Kilkenny in their best days taught us this.

Dunno why you're quoting me there. I'm aware the team who scores the most wins!
    My point was its a little early in the season for being disappointed or excited with results.

Wouldnt worry too much what managers say. I mean they are not too unlike the soccer managers in that they have to give newspapers soundbytes for the sake of soundbytes.

Like Mourinho last week with his 'We have no chance of winning the league?', managers will play up and down the importance of things. You have to think of hurlers this time of year as car engines starting from cold.

The most important thing in a hurling year is who is standing with Liam McCarthy in September. That is all that matters. Sure Tipp even got battered in Cork in the championship in 2010 before going on to win the all ireland outright and same with Kilkenny in 2012. They got trounced by Galway before getting revenge in the final. Even provincial championships dont give us any indication anymore. I always believe that the worst team you could meet in the latter stages of a championship is a team you've already beaten. Waterford for example couldn't have got a worse draw then Limerick back in 2007. Anyone else in their position and i believe they were primed to win the All Ireland that year or at least would have made a good stab at Kilkenny.

Contrastingly i believe the league in football is very important. I think the higher division you are in the better the chance of competing for an All Ireland. That is why promotion is paramount for Tipp. We cant ring the Dublin county board and get a challenge so we need to earn our chance to play them. We've a long way to go but hopefully we'll take the first step this year.

digzy wrote: »
    Dunno why you're quoting me there. I'm aware the team who scores the most wins!
    My point was its a little early in the season for being disappointed or excited with results.

Never a bad time to score goals!

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Never a bad time to score goals!

Who said there was.

We're all for motherhood and apple pie too but there's no need to post it because it's so obvious.

I'll await your next insightful post with trepidation.

Footballers play Waterford tomorrow in Clonmel.

How about a bit of moral support as attendance will be very poor.

Time for more Tipp fans to get behind the footballers, they work very hard and deserve recognition for their efforts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

buggy beag wrote: »
    ya denis maher had a great game particulary 2nd half great direct running out of him something wev been long missing.must say the last 2 games ive been fair impressed with seamie callanan.he must have been told up the workrate or your gone.looks a total different player this year,getting right stuck in he has been hopfully he keeps it up.shane mcgrath has been in top form since start of the year too.great game to watch tonight,conditions were perfect not a drop of rain til the end of the match.thats the first bit of silverwear and hopfully its a repeat of 2001 when we done the clean sweep.like the black eyed peas sang IVE A GOT A FEELING :p
    Glasswear;):)

Look boys and girls don't read too much into last night. Tom Stapleton ran 60 yards to set up a goal. Sure he must have left home last Sunday to build up speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Nobody reading to much into last night although I reckon had we lost there would be a lot more reading going on!!take it for what it is a decent win in a pre season game and the first step on the restoration of the natural order...

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Ompala

Look boys and girls don't read too much into last night. Tom Stapleton ran 60 yards to set up a goal. Sure he must have left home last Sunday to build up speed.

Not going to read too much into it, but glad to see some new players tried out, and a good bit more work rate and fighting for dirty ball from some lads that we haven't seen it a while, thats a very encouraging sign to me at least, February or not.

Nobody reading to much into last night although I reckon had we lost there would be a lot more reading going on!!take it for what it is a decent win in a pre season game and the first step on the restoration of the natural order...

Fair point.

O'shea naming the 26 soon. Will be interesting to see the culls. I honestly believe O'Riordan should be tried out soon. If we give him a taste of intercounty at the highest level it might make his decision to stay with us that bit easier

Fair point.

O'shea naming the 26 soon. Will be interesting to see the culls. I honestly believe O'Riordan should be tried out soon. If we give him a taste of intercounty at the highest level it might make his decision to stay with us that bit easier

Tipp go into the National Football League game today being the top scorers of all 32 teams. Keep this in mind lads and I encourage you to be still top scorers after round two when I read tomorrows papers.

Colin O'Riordan has the potential to be a great dual player. If he thinks he can handle it let him go for it. If the managers cannot handle it, that's their problem. The day is gone in most counties when the manager can coerce any good dual player to drop any one of the two codes.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Footballers play Waterford tomorrow in Clonmel.

How about a bit of moral support as attendance will be very poor.

Time for more Tipp fans to get behind the footballers, they work very hard and deserve recognition for their efforts.

Do you know even when they made a run in the Qualifiers in 2012 the big support didn't get behind them. I was in Semple when they defeated Antrim and there was a terrible attendance, the Antrim supporters were much more vocal throughout. This was a Tipp team who had defeated Offaly and Wexford in previous rounds and were on a roll. The last 16 of the AI where they lost to Down by 5 points.

We're not only a hurling county and football isn't only a south Tipp thing, we've 4 football AI's and nine Munsters to our name. Our minors did us proud in 11 as did our U21 Munster teams in the past few years. I'd love to see that naturally progress to Senior and for the county as a whole get behind them.

Tipp go into the National Football League game today being the top scorers of all 32 teams. Keep this in mind lads and I encourage you to be still top scorers after round two when I read tomorrows papers.

Agree with most of what you say in the rest of the post but tbh this is a fairly meaningless statistic given the gulf between the divisions the higher up you go.
    Huge difference in us beating Carlow and Dublin having to beat Kerry. Dont get me wrong its terrific we scored so much but its as much a reflection of Carlow being a very poor side as ourselves being an expansive side. In terms of getting out of division 4 though the scoreline is a huge help if it comes down to it.

Do you know even when they made a run in the Qualifiers in 2012 the big support didn't get behind them. I was in Semple when they defeated Antrim and there was a terrible attendance, the Antrim supporters were much more vocal throughout. This was a Tipp team who had defeated Offaly and Wexford in previous rounds and were on a roll. The last 16 of the AI where they lost to Down by 5 points.

We're not only a hurling county and football isn't only a south Tipp thing, we've 4 football AI's and nine Munsters to our name. Our minors did us proud in 11 as did our U21 Munster teams in the past few years. I'd love to see that naturally progress to Senior and for the county as a whole get behind them.

By stark contrast, we had the highest attendance of the four counties in Portlaoise back in 2011 when we played Meath in the Minor quarter final enroute to that amazing achievement.

Typical really of the glory hunting mentality. Ill accept we're in a recession but we hear this argument from the likes of Westside that 'we dont follow football'. We follow winning teams, simple as. Id imagine there was a sizeable Tipp crowd in Croker for the Minor semi and final in 2011 also.

As for the location of the games, i think strictly from a financial point of view that Tipp football needs to play in smaller venues. Last year for example there was 85 people in a 50k stadium when we played Carlow. It just doesnt make financial sense to play in Thurles. I mean you can use the argument that its nice and central but fact remains that no one is turning out to support them which is a pity.

• Advertisement

A draw game in Clonmel....Bit of a setback considering we were at home but id imagine there is definitely 2 or 3 more wins in the division for us at least.
    Round beside team in brackets
    We have London (3), and Leitrim (6) away and Clare (4), Antrim (5) and Wicklow (7) at home

3 points so far. 10 more to play for. I fancy us to at least win our remaining home games. Waterford seem to have a bogey on us of late.

Advertisement