Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-Topic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

I assumed as such but I didn't want to say in case it actually was the right spelling!

I'm not particularly bothered by that kind of idiocy, I find it hard to see how someone like that is going to infringe on my life, this guy, on the other hand, got to me when I found this on my feed;
    When did it become a matter of privilege to be sexually secure or not dress up as a chick and want to **** dudes up the ass? When did expecting men to use the men's room become bigotry? Seriously, when did this happen? No one is ****ing stopping homosexuals from being gay or transsexual or whatever the ****. Meanwhile they are trying to change the meaning of words and demanding everyone follow suit with this "Trans*" and "cis" **** and turning gender into 50 different categories. It's annoying. It is also divisive.How the **** can gay people be so divisive?
    That's an ignorant, relatively articulate, vocal young person who should know better. That's a bloody dangerous combination in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Babybuff

wow

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I always get confused when I meet people my age and younger who are bigoted, or racist, or whatever it is. Like, I can understand it in older generations, but when I hear people in their 30's or younger spout crap like all that, I just have to stare at them with confusion on my face. I don't understand it.

Would there be room for a Q in the name of the forum or is that a silly question?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I suppose there would be room for Q in the forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Nyan Cat

Kb that made me see red. As its on FB I assume you know him somehow. Which is appalling. It's crap enough if a stranger says it. I'd be tied between defriending him or getting my bitch on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I got a little bored earlier and decided to see if I could start a pleasebt discussion with the editor of Alive. I had never actually seen it before moving to Drimnagh and I have to say its probably the most offensive piece of right wing drivel ever published on this island, wonder if I will get a reply
    Sir,

I would like to thank you for your most excellent satirical comic that you deliver free of charge. There has been a real gap in the market for close to the bone satire since viz ceased publication. In particular the editors jottings column is really well done, I'm sure people of deficient intelligence could actually read your musings on homophobic bullying and think that you were serious. After all who has done more to promote homophobic bullying than the catholic church! Once again well done on producing a paper of such pure comical genius.

Regards
    Stephen

Been avoiding the local gaybar for a while now but got dragged in for the last one on Friday. Thankfully I think I've seen the light and I'll never be going anywhere near it again. I'm not sure but I'm thinking hen night but it seems to have turned into your everyday regular frisco disco at this stage and anyone that's anyway gay appears to be the leftovers of an all you can eat gaga buffet.
    Earlier in the night I went to a run down old mans type pub where a couple of mates had a dj night and between tributes to Donna Summer there was some good old classics from Depeche Mode, New Order and The Clash and later a bit of jazzymasalsa for good measure (Buscemi) and in comparison to the the gay bar it held about a fifth of capacity but aside from the regular old guys pretty much everyone there was gay/bi and having a great time.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,911 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Babybuff wrote: »
    Would there be room for a Q in the name of the forum or is that a silly question?

Q as in queer or questioning - I dunno - it's quite long already compared to most other forum titles

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Queer I would assume.

LGBTQ is an option, as opposed to Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender & Queer, that is a bit, very, long.

• Advertisement

Queer I would assume.

LGBTQ is an option, as opposed to Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender & Queer, that is a bit, very, long.

yeah but a lot of people don't know what lgbt means let alone lgbtq.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Fair enough, if you have reason to believe as such.

Fair enough, if you have reason to believe as such.

I'm not dead set against lgbtq or lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer - I'm just not sure what the best option is in terms of praxticality - I do think there might be objections from some to queer or q though.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Y.O.L.O

Sigh just sigh - bitterness and pride

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Aurongroove

Semantics gone mad.
    Are the rest of "QUILTBAGPIPE" genuinely bothered about the forum only listing LGBT?

Because if they are then I want Metrosexuality, Bears, Swingers, people who prefer threesomes, Straight people but who say lots of their friends are QUILTBAGPIPE, Natural Eunuchs but those who bet they'd be gay if they sought hormonal therapy.

the L dosn't even need to be there, Lesbians are gay are they not? LGT.

In fact
    what is the definition of queer with reguard sexuality?
    The first definition of Queer in the first dictionary that popped up when i googled is "deviating from the expected or normal.

so why not call QUILTBAGPIPEBAT just "sexually queer and gender queer": SQGQ

sexually queer meaning anyone who is basically "not straight" and gender queer meaning anyone who dosn't dress and/or feel the same gender as their body 24/7.

Or why not just Q for queer, and let that mean QUILTBAGPIPEBATFACE.

I'm not being tongue-in-cheek here. I think all these acrynoms are a disgrace and we should all go live our lives rather then bothering with this sort of nonsense.

I wouldn't be too bothered, I see LGBT as meaning LGBT issues/topics here, not a description of those who frequent. At the same time there does seem to be a lot of specifically queer conversation recently and if that continues then of course it makes sense to consider whether the forum name should reflect that. It's not nonsense, this place would be dead if it were, there is conversation to be had specific to minority sexuality and gender, how would you refer to a place set aside for that purpose? LGBT, GLBT, LGBTQ, Rainbow, Gay-friendly, Everyone-friendly? Or are you genuinely claiming it makes more sense not to define it at all?

Queer is a catch all term for anyone who doesn't fully fit LGBT, or even those who do as well, people like their labels, if I'm forced to use one that's the one I use because it's the only one that fits, I'd much prefer to just get on with it as well but that isn't really an option is it? Genderqueer is a real term btw, another catch all for anyone outside the gender binary.

Part of respecting someone's right to be themselves is respecting their right to refer to themselves as they wish, you've been afforded that, maybe you should consider how you'd feel if you weren't.

Mango: I would completely understand that, having the word queer up on the main menu might be a bit... yeah, it can cause offence for a lot of people and it can still retain it's negative connotations, I wouldn't be hesitant on Q though, that probably doesn't reflect the best on me but anyway.

Part of respecting someone's right to be themselves is respecting their right to refer to themselves as they wish, you've been afforded that, maybe you should consider how you'd feel if you weren't.
    No I haven't been afforded 'that' and if you're wondering I'm not the least bit concerned about the fact.

In case you didn't notice you made yourself quite clear on how you wish to go about life and nobody here trivialised that as you did "queer", what exactly do you call 'that'?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Just change the forum name to individuals that way no one can feel left out its beyond me why titles are so important to people!

• Advertisement

Semantics gone mad.
    Are the rest of "QUILTBAGPIPE" genuinely bothered about the forum only listing LGBT?

Because if they are then I want Metrosexuality, Bears, Swingers, people who prefer threesomes, Straight people but who say lots of their friends are QUILTBAGPIPE, Natural Eunuchs but those who bet they'd be gay if they sought hormonal therapy.

the L dosn't even need to be there, Lesbians are gay are they not? LGT.

In fact
    what is the definition of queer with reguard sexuality?
    The first definition of Queer in the first dictionary that popped up when i googled is "deviating from the expected or normal.

so why not call QUILTBAGPIPEBAT just "sexually queer and gender queer": SQGQ

sexually queer meaning anyone who is basically "not straight" and gender queer meaning anyone who dosn't dress and/or feel the same gender as their body 24/7.

Or why not just Q for queer, and let that mean QUILTBAGPIPEBATFACE.

I'm not being tongue-in-cheek here. I think all these acrynoms are a disgrace and we should all go live our lives rather then bothering with this sort of nonsense.

this is just condescending bs and to refer you to elsewhere, you can only speak for yourself so why continue representing a substantial proportion of us.
    If being recognised and respected as being L G B or T is so important to others here I don't understand why Q is not represented too. I don't identify as lgb or t and I don't feel comfortable being represented by any of those acronyms (or spokesperson for them) either.

I think this LGBTQetc. topic might be better suited to a separate thread tbh. If anyone feels very strongly that a name change is needed, feel free to start up a thread discussing it in the forum. :)

Also- I had a rubbish day. I fell out of a car (yes, really), busted up my knee and lost my wallet. So to cheer me up I watched this multiple times. It always works.

Cracks me up, man.

I don't want to make a topic about it, I wouldn't even go so far as to fight for it to be recognised here but it says a lot about the lack of understanding of certain issues on the forum. I think some of this ground has already been covered elsewhere on the forum before and I just don't feel like having to justify who I am to anybody again.
    If the definition of homosexuality is a sexual attraction to (or sexual relations with) persons of the same sex then that makes it difficult to identify as gender is mostly irrelevant to me. If I identify as lesbian that means I must also identify as female and that makes things confusing for me.
    The common denominator amongst queer folk seems to be that we don't really rate gender that highly. For someone else to determine my gender because of who I sleep with is akin to someone suggesting all trans people are gay and such a suggestion would quickly be shot down if it were made in relation to Transfolk.
    This is not just semantics. Some of us fall outside the gender binary and the system fails to recognise that by adopting gender specific labels, hence why Q is so relevant.
    I'm going to leave it there.

this is just condescending bs and to refer you to elsewhere, you can only speak for yourself so why continue representing a substantial proportion of us.

I genuinely don't know where you're getting this. tell me where I accidentally or otherwise indicated that I was "representing a substantial proportion of us" and not my own views?

I genuinely don't know where you're getting this. tell me where I accidentally or otherwise indicated that I was "representing a substantial proportion of us" and not my own views?
    I think all these acrynoms are a disgrace and we should all go live our lives rather then bothering with this sort of nonsense.
    do you.do you really. we should all go do that so. That's nice.

do you.do you really. we should all go do that so. That's nice.
    this is insane.

Speaking as a representative for what a group either 'thinks' or 'will do' would be "we think...", "we are..." or "I think we will/are..."

An individual making a suggestion to a group (and NOT representing the group) is "I think/believe we should/ought to"
    i.e. it is "I" that is doing the thinking and the "should" is a the suggestion from the "I" to the group.

This way group is free to then say "we as a group, disagree with you" where as if the "I" had said "we think/are/ wil do or I think we will" the group would need to say "that is/isn't true" thus I would then and only then, be representing/misrepresenting a group.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

LGBT is fine it represents everyone does it not?

Yes you can have QUILTBAGPIPE but that sounds silly and is too long and has duplication.

I think you should do whatever you think is right for you. I really have no interest in discussing this further with you however.

• Advertisement

lgbt wrote: »
    LGBT is fine it represents everyone does it not?

Yes you can have QUILTBAGPIPE but that sounds silly and is too long and has duplication.
    does it?

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

Advertisement