Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SPRING WEATHER 2015 - GENERAL DISCUSSION

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Weve been skiing all day here in southern poland. Slopes still have 60+cm snow on them and our snow thats been lying since christmas is melting fast. Todays been glourious here, 12c and we are all a bit red faced......myself from terrible skiing!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

really enjoying the milder temps as well, fed up of cold hands at this stage. The milder conditions are so more comfortable. It's warmer outside the house than it is inside today!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,727 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I hope we don't get a repeat of Spring 2013, that was a disaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Harps wrote: »
    Glorious Spring day in London today, 16C with cloudless skies and the first real warm day of the year, long may it continue :cool:

Bit too breezy in Dublin to fully enjoy the warmth in the air but it was nice to be able to have all the windows open all day and air the apartment out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Finding it very mild these last few days, a big change from last weekend. No longer need the extra bed spread at night time. Actually finding it difficult to sleep with the general warm conditions. Currently 10 degrees here in the Southern capital.

Is it fair to say spring has arrived?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,106 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

What a glorious day here in west clare! 10.2c is the temp it reached but with the good sun I started to feel the summer arriving.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 607 ✭✭✭jack o shea

Any sign of this east wind coming in?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

doesn't appear to be, the following week will be dominated by an active atlantic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Any sign of this east wind coming in?

Its still in FI territory but it could turn east in time for Paddies day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭Dickie10

cant wait for the clocks to go forward soon, love walking the countryside and exploring in mid summer. something alsolutly magical agout mid june and those long days. i personally love being out for the night clubbing and coming in when its broad daylight. or when you are in the middle of a heat wave and you wake up at 7 am and walk out in a tee shirt!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Do the weather experts here agree that today is actually the start of Spring, it was mentioned by somebody in work and they all scoffed at it and think Spring begins on Feb 1, totally wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭highdef

murpho999 wrote: »
    Do the weather experts here agree that today is actually the start of Spring, it was mentioned by somebody in work and they all scoffed at it and think Spring begins on Feb 1, totally wrong.

That's the pagans that think it starts on feb 1st!!!

But seriously, there are several interpretations as to when Spring officially starts. The old Irish/pagan calender says it's 1st Feb, meteorlogically it's March 1st (most here would probably consider this the real start of Spring being a weather forum and all that). Astronomically it is in or around the 21st of March, America being the main country that I can think of that uses this system.

There are other variations too, depending on location. Some areas do not have 4 true season....maybe a wet season and a dry season. Other systems may have four season of different lengths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Saturday in Kildare . Expect Sun or Rain?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    Saturday in Kildare . Expect Sun or Rain?

Cool, windy, heavy showers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Aye lugnaquilla in co Wicklow is rather ominously covered in snow this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Timmyboy

Snow down here n Kerry on the upper reaches of the high mountains also. Certainly from my vantage point I can see visible white snow on the Reeks.

Has anyone also noticed the significant change in the forecasting models for the early days of next week and how they are now indicating single digit afternoon temperatures rather than the high teens temperatures that the forecasts were showing yesterday?

Timmyboy wrote: »
    Snow down here n Kerry on the upper reaches of the high mountains also. Certainly from my vantage point I can see visible white snow on the Reeks.

Has anyone also noticed the significant change in the forecasting models for the early days of next week and how they are now indicating single digit afternoon temperatures rather than the high teens temperatures that the forecasts were showing yesterday?

Depends which model you look at. GFS still shows mid to high teens in places early next week.

Load, reload and re-reload (if you are happy to look into fantasy territory)

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭seamusk84

Looks like the initial forecast for great weather Tuesday and Wednesday was wrong. Met now saying unsettled and cool conditions for the week days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭B17G

Winter makes a comeback! Some snow on Nephin & Croagh Patrick this morning.

344938.jpg
    344939.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭John mac

good bit more snow this morning.. 344942.jpg

Did anyone predict this wind?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭B17G

Front fully cleared through now. Hard to believe there was a hint of Summer only 2 or 3 days ago!

344958.jpg

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Drove over the Slieve Bloom's this morning, around 11am, from Kinnity to Mountrath. Snowing on the highest parts of that route.

32027CC3041C4188B672C2D39C585FD2-0000335757-0003749481-00800L-47CAFD7A72C944ADB03DD32A3C2FE125.png

How about some May snow? May-be...may-be not...

gfs-0-372_wim3.png
    gfs-2-384_gpj2.png

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I have seen it snow on April 30th in the past...I would just love to see snow falling in May! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Ah jasus no!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

DOCARCH wrote: »
    I have seen it snow on April 30th in the past...I would just love to see snow falling in May! :)

I remember that it definitely snowed in early May, 1979 but I couldn't find many reports from Ireland. Does anyone else remember it?
    Anyway, according to the UKMO 1979 was the snowiest May on record when 342 weather observation sites reported snow on 2 May.

image.jpg1_zpsk553cmeo.jpg

Going back a little further the 17/18th of May, 1935 also saw widespread snow in Ireland and the UK

image.jpg4_zpsyoigxlck.jpg

Here's a snippet of a report from The Times on May 18th, 1935

image.jpg3_zpsxwjyklsl.jpg

image.jpg2_zpsasyucbfw.jpg

Sent from my iPad

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

All week in southern poland its been glorious with mid 20s.....today 0c and snowing hard!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Advertisement