Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread MOD WARNING POST #2944

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

In fairness to Carlow I think they were missing quite a few to colleges as well, but they have gone back a good bit. Very poor in league last year. Still a few "hardy men" but Rushie was stupid to react. Better off ignoring them.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Glad you're well. (Hope the Dad is too.) Good to know the drugs are of some help. Remember not to take the blue and navy pills together. They'll give you a terrible dose of the scutters. :D

Can't wait 'till March 4. The fixture has thrown up some very tasty encounters these past few years. Last years slugfest in the monsoon was great craic. Not sure how much fun it will be for your lot though. In the Jim Gavin era, Dublin and Mayo have played 10 games. Mayo haven't won any of them. Oh well....the 11th time is the charm, as your proctologist often says !

11th time lucky :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Billy Mays wrote: »
    Sure you did :rolleyes:

Well why else would I reference the Jack O'Shea comparison in this situation? Obviously I didn't think he was the best midfielder in the game. It was a more extreme example of the logic I thought you were employing.

Just cos you keep saying it is arguable doesn't make it so. You think he's arguably the GOAT, I don't.

But that is exactly what arguably means, i.e. a close call, up for debate.

Why is it interesting? I commented on your claims about Keegan being "comfortably the best player in the country" and "arguably the greatest half back of all time". I've already given you my opinion on him which you said was fair enough and went against what most Dublin posters on here think of him. Now you seem to be implying that I've some sort of anti Keegan bias.

No Im implying that you are trying to centre the debate solely on keegan to get away from the topics that were being discussed. Keegan was mentioned in passing to illustrate a point. Whether you have the football knowhow to recognise his abilities is really not all that important, you could just assume he is a top player and get on with it, rather than make the entire debate about measuring his ability and comparing him to others. But the more you can keep the debate on keegan, the more you can get away from the actual conversation at hand.

But sure, tell us again that someone else is better than keegan :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Jack MC's back - resumes training next week, he's one to watch if he makes the O'Byrne Cup panel I tell ya

• Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Well why else would I reference the Jack O'Shea comparison in this situation? Obviously I didn't think he was the best midfielder in the game. It was a more extreme example of the logic I thought you were employing.

But that is exactly what arguably means, i.e. a close call, up for debate.

No Im implying that you are trying to centre the debate solely on keegan to get away from the topics that were being discussed. Keegan was mentioned in passing to illustrate a point. Whether you have the football knowhow to recognise his abilities is really not all that important, you could just assume he is a top player and get on with it, rather than make the entire debate about measuring his ability and comparing him to others. But the more you can keep the debate on keegan, the more you can get away from the actual conversation at hand.

But sure, tell us again that someone else is better than keegan :rolleyes::rolleyes:
    *Yawn*

You're boring me now and probably everyone else at this stage m8

Run along back to the Mayo thread, there's a good lad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

DoctaDee wrote: »
    Jack MC's back - resumes training next week, he's one to watch if he makes the O'Byrne Cup panel I tell ya

So where do we think he'll fit in? I can't see him waltzing back into the team.

Good to see Jack back, but I'd imagine that there will be limited places up for grabs this year.

Given that O'Byrne is going to be all second choice players, will he also take a punt on the league and use it as a last opportunity to try out fellas before June?

The championship first 20 nearly writes itself anyway. Would be great to have Jack as extra option but imho midfield is only position where he could do with another choice either to start or to come in late. Fenton is turning out to be one of best ever, but he will need 2/3 other options. Would Jack fit into midfield role maybe? not as your classic ball winner but that is no longer a requirement to have two these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Past30Now

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Good to see Jack back, but I'd imagine that there will be limited places up for grabs this year.

Given that O'Byrne is going to be all second choice players, will he also take a punt on the league and use it as a last opportunity to try out fellas before June?

The championship first 20 nearly writes itself anyway. Would be great to have Jack as extra option but imho midfield is only position where he could do with another choice either to start or to come in late. Fenton is turning out to be one of best ever, but he will need 2/3 other options. Would Jack fit into midfield role maybe? not as your classic ball winner but that is no longer a requirement to have two these days.

I find it difficult to believe that Jack won't earn a place in the team (first 15) between now and the start of the championship. Realistically he's a more offensive/attacking option than either James Mc or John Small. Wouldn't be surprised to see McCarthy move into midfield.

I'm looking forward to seeing what impact Costello will make this year. Obviously was brilliant in the replay, but didn't get much of a chance over the rest of the year.

After the AI final, Flynn has certainly proved he can play in midfield (I said this after the drawn game, I'd just like to highlight my foresight here) lol

Jack Mc could play as a half forward maybe?

*Yawn*

You're boring me now and probably everyone else at this stage m8

Run along back to the Mayo thread, there's a good lad

So much for the oh so fair-minded billy mays setting me to right..
    Seems you have reverted to type, by just dodging the argument after a fairly solid slap down from reality.

I'll stay here as long as I wish thanks. Im confident that there are some people following Dublin gaa who can view things objectively.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Gael85

Slattsy wrote: »
    After the AI final, Flynn has certainly proved he can play in midfield (I said this after the drawn game, I'd just like to highlight my foresight here) lol

Jack Mc could play as a half forward maybe?

Don't think Jack would be as effective in the forwards. Half back or midfield for me. I wouldn't be surprised to see Cian O'Sullivan pushed to full back John Small centre back and McCaffrey slot back in at 7

Gael85 wrote: »
    Don't think Jack would be as effective in the forwards. Half back or midfield for me. I wouldn't be surprised to see Cian O'Sullivan pushed to full back John Small centre back and McCaffrey slot back in at 7

Im not sure, cant see COS as a full back, he's the best half back in the country at the moment, a giant of the game tbh.

Im not sure, cant see COS as a full back, he's the best half back in the country at the moment, a giant of the game tbh.
    arguably the greatest of all time

Arguably.

Agreed.
    He doesn't have the skillset for fullback.

As for being the best half back in the game - well Dublin play him as a sweeper so it is hard to discern his abilities as a halfback.
    Id consider McCarthy a better halfback personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Arguably.

Youse two :rolleyes: lol

He's no Lee Keegan in fairness.....

(Sits back and reaches for popcorn ;)

Regarding Costello, I always read it as more or less straight competition between him and DR for the one slot that included free-taking. Costello began to assert himself for that in early league but Rock rose to challenge and had brilliant year.

CC in turn showed that on coming from the bench that he is central part of the set-up. Fair play to him for re-proving himself after the potential disappointment of earlier in year.

Gavin clearly knows his men, as they say in military circles!

He's no Lee Keegan in fairness.....

(Sits back and reaches for popcorn ;)

Regarding Costello, I always read it as more or less straight competition between him and DR for the one slot that included free-taking. Costello began to assert himself for that in early league but Rock rose to challenge and had brilliant year.

CC in turn showed that on coming from the bench that he is central part of the set-up. Fair play to him for re-proving himself after the potential disappointment of earlier in year.

Gavin clearly knows his men, as they say in military circles!

Agree a FF line featuring both Rock/Costello would struggle to win primary possession.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Paulzx

Past30Now wrote: »
    Wouldn't be surprised to see McCarthy move into midfield.

I.

This is something thats been on my mind all winter. I'd love to see him tried out in mid.

Paulzx wrote: »
    This is something thats been on my mind all winter. I'd love to see him tried out in mid.
    Yep

McCarthy and Fenton could be a brilliant midfield

• Advertisement

Paulzx wrote: »

Has all the attributes to play midfield however I would keep him at right half back as it his best position.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Paulzx

Has all the attributes to play midfield however I would keep him at right half back as it his best position.

Maybe we could discover a new best position!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

McCarthy would effect the game no matter where he plays but i'd hate to see him moved tbh. He's the quintessential half back.

At least try McCaffrey at half forward. He can get scores and his pace is a menace no matter what number he wears. It'll be new having to shake a defender and move for the ball but i see no evidence to say he's not capable.

By his own admission Flynn relished the move to midfield. I can see more cameos there for him in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,220 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Sure McCarthy plays in midfield for the mun it is hardly going to be foreign to him!

The move would make sense with McCaffery coming back.

Let's be honest the hardest test for this Dublin team will be to stay awake during games. I get the sense that even the so called stronger teams are starting to feel they are beaten, before they step over the white line.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Sure McCarthy plays in midfield for the mun it is hardly going to be foreign to him!

The move would make sense with McCaffery coming back.

Let's be honest the hardest test for this Dublin team will be to stay awake during games. I get the sense that even the so called stronger teams are starting to feel they are beaten, before they step over the white line.

I seen him play league games and u21 at midfield. Just think he is more effective at wing back running onto breaking ball

Agreed.
    He doesn't have the skillset for fullback.

As for being the best half back in the game - well Dublin play him as a sweeper so it is hard to discern his abilities as a halfback.
    Id consider McCarthy a better halfback personally.

COS has the skillset for Full Back. Is any comfortable for any position from no 2-8. He is definitely one of the best centre half backs in game at the moment. His reading of a game allows him to drop back and cover fullback line. He is not bad at man marking too. Kept Gooch quiet in 2013 semi final when switched from midfield.

COS has the skillset for Full Back. Is any comfortable for any position from no 2-8. He is definitely one of the best centre half backs in game at the moment. His reading of a game allows him to drop back and cover fullback line. He is not bad at man marking too. Kept Gooch quiet in 2013 semi final when switched from midfield.

He doesn't. Not good enough in the air, not strong enough, fine player in his own right though, just not a fb.

As for man marking the gooch, well I recall a pre-sweeper outing in 2012 where he got destroyed by micheal conroy, so let's not get carried away here... Every defender looks better with sweepers in fairness.

He doesn't. Not good enough in the air, not strong enough, fine player in his own right though, just not a fb.

As for man marking the gooch, well I recall a pre-sweeper outing in 2012 where he got destroyed by micheal conroy, so let's not get carried away here... Every defender looks better with sweepers in fairness.

He is good enough in the air. Cleaned the O'Shea brothers in 2013 final in midfield. Conroy scored one point from play in that game. FB line was under serious pressure considering Mayo completely dominated for first 50 minutes. Would blame half forward/midfield for failing to cut the supply of ball into Mayo forwards.

He is good enough in the air. Cleaned the O'Shea brothers in 2013 final in midfield. Conroy scored one point from play in that game. FB was under serious pressure considering completely dominated for first 50 minutes. Would blame half forward/midfield for failing to cut the supply of ball into Mayo forwards.

He, ahem, cleaned them by running to the wing on his own kickout and his hb and hf lines pulling back the field from them... Running away from your marking isn't going to cut it at fullback - your marker is the target...
    Re conroy, he won a massive amount of ball off him, won a lot of fouls too. If you cant see that stick to the cricket.

Re blaming the forwards/midfield, can I blame the forwards for the o'sheas getting 'cleaned' at midfield too? Handy get out of jail card that one... Also, seeing as one player can apparently clean two out, maybe Conroy can claim O'Carroll's scalp too for good measure?

Listen, he is a fine player in his own right, but he isn't a fullback. Less of the fanboy mentality please. You seem to want your players to be able to do literally anything, and anyone who disagrees is just jealous. Are you for real like?

• Advertisement

He, ahem, cleaned them by running to the wing on his own kickout and his hb and hf lines pulling back the field from them... Running away from your marking isn't going to cut it at fullback - your marker is the target...
    Re conroy, he won a massive amount of ball off him, won a lot of fouls too. If you cant see that stick to the cricket.

Re blaming the forwards/midfield, can I blame the forwards for the o'sheas getting 'cleaned' at midfield too? Handy get out of jail card that one... Also, seeing as one player can apparently clean two out, maybe Conroy can claim O'Carroll's scalp too for good measure?

Listen, he is a fine player in his own right, but he isn't a fullback. Less of the fanboy mentality please. You seem to want your players to be able to do literally anything, and anyone who disagrees is just jealous. Are you for real like?

Conroy actually destroyed Fitzsimmons. COS was switched and did alright. Our whole full back line was cleaned that day. Sure look Lee Keegan was destroyed by Michael Quinlivan in semi final last year. The best can have off days :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement