Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Limerick GAA news/discussion thread*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭lim4ev

Well lads whats the thinking on the county final this sunday? has the potential to be a cracker whats the thinking on it is it a bit soon for the well majority of their team are young but they have a few older lads aswell including no1 and 3 have they potential coming thru to cover for these lads esp no3?For me Nap look stronger and seem to have the extra bit throughout the field having said that some of the well players aren't as well known as the nap lads but maybe 5pm on sun evening they could be.

Nap for me in a top quality game of hurling as the weather looks like its going to play its part too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Wallis confirmed in the paper he was asked to get involved with limerick and met Ryan last week but said it was not for him.
    To be fair it was the correct call imo by him as the way he was treated by the board last year he was correct not to go back

Also he is good friends with donal og grady so just my view is having seen what happened with o grady he wouldn't be keen on it

Huge questions now surface who will take the coaching job as it seems a few have been asked like Kinnerk and Wallace and by media reports declined
    Nearly in to the start up of training soon and no coach appointed

I think na Piarsaigh will win sunday but it would be great to see the well win it also

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

I think na Piarsaigh will win sunday but it would be great to see the well win it also

I hope you're wrong :)

The crowds at these club matches have been awful for the last few years and I am expecting a crowd of barely 3000 there on Sunday with a few hundred coming from neutrals.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

Wallis confirmed in the paper he was asked to get involved with limerick and met Ryan last week but said it was not for him.
    To be fair it was the correct call imo by him as the way he was treated by the board last year he was correct not to go back

Also he is good friends with donal og grady so just my view is having seen what happened with o grady he wouldn't be keen on it

Huge questions now surface who will take the coaching job as it seems a few have been asked like Kinnerk and Wallace and by media reports declined

Worrying developments before the season has even started, could end up being an in house job at this rate...not all the backroom team announced are on board either
    for the county final would be great to see Patrickswell do it, we need a change, if the pwell full back line(arguably their weakest line) can hold what will be a very good nap ff line then theyll win, the half back line has a big job in cutting off supply, I think patrickswell are playing very well and, if they handle the occasion and hold nap ff line, should he capable of doing it...

Mehapoy wrote: »
    Worrying developments before the season has even started, could end up being an in house job at this rate...not all the backroom team announced are on board either
    for the county final would be great to see Patrickswell do it, we need a change, if the pwell full back line(arguably their weakest line) can hold what will be a very good nap ff line then theyll win, the half back line has a big job in cutting off supply, I think patrickswell are playing very well and, if they handle the occasion and hold nap ff line, should he capable of doing it...

I can see the well taking someone out of the full forward line, probably Considine, just to be able to play a 3rd midfielder. The well half back line may end up playing deeper than they'd like depending on how the full back line handle Na Piarsaighs full forward line but if they're chasing the game, expect Carmody and O'Brien to be pushing up a lot and add to the attack. Kelliher and Byrnes only missed 1 free between them last Sunday and they will need that same accuracy this Sunday as they've been known for their inaccuracies from frees.

Come on the well!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Walter.White

It certainly is very worrying that we have no coach at this stage. We were a complete shambles last year and i can't see it changing under the management that is in place at the moment. The performances of our inter county players in this years club championship has been poor enough but it is great to see Patrickswell rising again and hopefully they can win the championship this year, as it would be nice to see lads that haven't won a championship winning one and they have some very talented young players.
    Na Piarsiagh will be a big step up from anyone they have met so far and i expect that the game will be close.

The county board i think made a huge mistake when they first appointed TJ and i said it here before he was appointed that i was very worried about him getting the job as the previous year he made a complete hash of managing our under 21 team. In the first year, he did ok but we still won nothing, sure we ran Kilkenny close in the semi but the league campaign was a disaster and i certainly didn't think it warranted the decision of giving him three years.

That decision was beyond ridiculous Imo and i think Limerick hurling is suffering the consequences now as i felt last year we were nothing short of a joke. The under 21 team proved that under the right management and coaching staff that Limerick have the talent to win an All Ireland.
    I feel within the next 3-4 years Limerick will have the quality of players available to build a panel that is capable of winning and All Ireland but will they have the right management and coaching staff in place? I doubt it

The county board has continued to make bad decision after bad decision in regards to the management of Limerick hurling and the way they have dealt with people and the only thing that is suffering as usual is Limerick hurling.
    Can anyone honestly say that next year will be different with the same manager? Whats even more worrying is no county board delegates spoke up about what happened last year they just accepted the county boards decisions.

We were poor in our preparation for the league by not introducing any new players and continuing a tactic of lumping high ball into our full forward line.
    That is two league campaigns that have been terrible under our current manager. I know people say we are a championship team but that makes me laugh we have won one Munster in 16 years hardly the form of a championship team. If we continue to treat the league the way we do we will continually be beaten in the championship. I think we should be going out to win every game and this ah sure its only the league attitude needs to go.
    I would also wonder why this was never brought up at the county board meeting? Considering when we failed to win the league the previous year the county board felt the need to talk about it. What made this year different, Considering we were even worse in the league this year!

Now lets look at last years championship:

Barely beat a Clare team minus 5-6 key players.
    Hammered by Tipp
    Struggled against Westmeath
    Beaten by Dublin in the worst game of inter county hurling I've seen in my life.

I am just waiting for the news that the county board are going to extend our managers contract by another three years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭Browney7

Interesting around Wallis. He's a top bloke and a top top coach who i'd give huge credit (along with Joe Quaid) for the improvements in our minor teams and laying the foundation for our under 21 win this year. I assume TJ approached him but would be interesting - humble pie perhaps - if the county board got TJ to sound him out. He'd have been a good candidate as the younger players and the 21s and minors that will come through would all have worked with him. The senior players would undoubtedly respect him too - Hickey on sunday game before the minor all Ireland gave him huge credit.

Can fully understand why he'd say no but I personally don't think it's all TJ related. He was treated shoddily by the county board so perfectly understandable he'd say no. Then again, maybe he has ambitions of being involved with Cork in some shape or form. The only one who knows is Jerry!

Former Antrim manager Dinny Cahill from Tipp is the new coach for the Limerick senior hurling team. Dunno what to make of that. Is he any good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Colemania wrote: »
    Former Antrim manager Dinny Cahill from Tipp is the new coach for the Limerick senior hurling team. Dunno what to make of that. Is he any good?

Mixed views really, was over the Tipp minors when they won an AI and was the man that oversaw Portumna's breakthrough on the club scene, but has laregly being ignored by the Tipp county board for one reason or another. Has managed both Laois and Antrim as well and I would have thought that he was more efficrive in that type of role a bit like his fellow county man Paudie Butler.

TBH if you were looking for a coach from Tipp that is currently not invloved with any county setup Tommy Dunne should have been your first port of call.

To be fair he has great expirence at all levels of hurling in many different counties and is a real real hurling man in he's been involved in counties of lesser lights before with no real aims of all ireland success but more so trying to improve hurling which shows he's in for the right reasons.
    Would have coached in the limerick club scene before with doon and while not successful has indeed managed and been part of a back room team of two all ireland club titles in different counties portumna and Thomas Galway
    Would have managed club teams in he's native county plus also between clubs and counties at least six different counties.
    Was involved in senior inter county with two teams in laois and Antrim twice and he's record is okay considering what he would have been working with.
    Would have all ireland under age success with tipp.
    Was with coolderty in offaly and St Ryangh got them to a county final

The only concern I'd have is if he's proven experience in the inter county senior scene success wise and how the players would view this but tbh with the lack of options available he certainly would be a good choice and certainly imo better than any in house limerick coaches to take it at this time as limerick to be honest are not exactly at this time without concern in who ever goes in the concern is can he do he's own thing.
    No point in bringing in a big name if things don't change from last year.
    Was with derry and armagh also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭patsyrockem

I have nothing against Dinny Cahill, I am sure he is a great hurling man and has been successful at a certain level but he is not what is needed. What we needed was a young ambitious, enthusiastic coach with a handle on the modern game and fitness levels required. I had already written off next year, this just finishes it off. I'd like to know how many people were approached and turned it down? At this stage of the year we should be looking forward to next year with optimism after winning u21 all Ireland but what message does this appointment send out.

Patsyrockem

Who would you have liked to have got the job? Don't know if there were many options available to them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

lim4ev wrote: »
    Patsyrockem

Who would you have liked to have got the job? Don't know if there were many options available to them

We're reaping what we've sowed here, forget about next year, 2017 with a proper coach/manager please

I have nothing against Dinny Cahill, I am sure he is a great hurling man and has been successful at a certain level but he is not what is needed. What we needed was a young ambitious, enthusiastic coach with a handle on the modern game and fitness levels required. I had already written off next year, this just finishes it off. I'd like to know how many people were approached and turned it down? At this stage of the year we should be looking forward to next year with optimism after winning u21 all Ireland but what message does this appointment send out.

It sounds like he was the last on the list anyway. I know he managed Croom recently but left them, for what reason I don't know. A bit worried about next year now considering how the backroom team is shaping up. Should be an improvement on last year, which isn't hard, but we won't be winning anything that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Colemania wrote: »
    It sounds like he was the last on the list anyway. I know he managed Croom recently but left them, for what reason I don't know. A bit worried about next year now considering how the backroom team is shaping up. Should be an improvement on last year, which isn't hard, but we won't be winning anything that's for sure.

I think Croom go through a fair few coaches every year:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Cahill would not have been my first, my second or even my third choice. Tbh I didn't consider him but I'm a bit iffy about it. Obviously both Kinnerk & Wallis rejected us and we didn't have many other obvious choices.

I don't think he'll solve our problems but he might bring a bit of improvement from last year all the same. Still, I hope he goes onto make a big impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

danganabu wrote: »

TBH if you were looking for a coach from Tipp that is currently not invloved with any county setup Tommy Dunne should have been your first port of call.

:eek:
    Is that the same Tommy Dunne got Lar to chase Tommy round Croke park?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

citykat wrote: »
    :eek:
    Is that the same Tommy Dunne got Lar to chase Tommy round Croke park?
    No it wasn't actually. Tommy Dunne is a physical trainer, Declan Ryan was the manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭patsyrockem

danganabu wrote: »
    No it wasn't actually. Tommy Dunne is a physical trainer, Declan Ryan was the manager.

Yes it was!! But I am sure he would like a chance to recover his reputation. He was very highly thought of before that. It appears everyone out there in the hurling world looks on us as the equivalent of a hot snot! That's sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭N20

Yes it was!! But I am sure he would like a chance to recover his reputation. He was very highly thought of before that. It appears everyone out there in the hurling world looks on us as the equivalent of a hot snot! That's sad.

Bit harsh !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭N20

Great co final in prospect on Sunday- Richie Bennis has a nice piece in examiner and match being televised on tg4

I hope the old surpass the new and Patrickwell regain their former glory days

So much sport on TV Sunday its unbelievable. With RTE & TG4 player good chance i might have a clot by Sunday night !

The other poster i totally agree with and himself and myself were probably the only two from day one in this thread that had huge concerns when Ryan was appointed and then was appointed a three year term, it made no sense.
    However like I said limerick backed themselves in to a corner, the players also when supported Ryan despite false dawns v kk and unfortunately now imo have no choice but leave Ryan stay as didn't back o grady so limerick can't afford another controversy so have allow Ryan finish he's term.

I belived the only scenario was appointment a proven back room team and Ryan should man management but take less role in coaching and tactics as clear as day he's skill set is good in areas but tactics wise way off.

In light of everything and Kinnerk and Wallace who would be proven senior inter county and modern coaches yes imo have proven more than Cahill but Cahill to be fair I feel is as good as appointment in the circumstances and to be fair while senior inter county is the question can he coach at that level of success imo he certainly is much better than any of last year set up individual wise or all put together success wise.

Also the one that should be questioned is the appointment of don flynn more than Cahill in flynn hasn't exactly a great record with intermediate etc.
    Now fair enough he was with Quaid at under sixteen all ireland winning team and may offer contuinty with lots that team possible players but imo i would have had Quaid but typical limerick he goes to Kildare.

The first question to ask when any coach comes in, is he better than before and while beary etc good in he's own right Cahill imo is better and also Cahill may be older but age doesn't matter one mind is young as cody and Eammon Ryan, mick o dwyer proved.
    Once he's in to evolution of the modern game he could be eighty and wouldn't matter.

Cahill to be fair is modern coach to a level in with portumna they won an all ireland convincing and he also played ollie canning as a sweeper when needs must and does play modern tactics.He's won three all ireland club titles and while it doesn't mean automatically a senior all ireland inter county title it at least shows he has a basic understanding and knowledge of coaching.

He went to Thomas as coach won all ireland such there captain Burke said he was hugely important in the win
    Went to rynagh offaly and after long absent got them to an county final so like portumna and Thomas he can equally come in when teams are winning or he he builds a team.He was with coolderry and was with temple tuohy in tippeary and they got to an intermediate final around early 2000 or so but lost.
    He does at the very least makes he's team competitive.

He was with doon years ago a young team and improves young players.
    He seems honest and humble enough to admit he makes mistake which is always a great sign, and cody and gavin always made mistakes but admit it and learn from them.
    He made a huge mistakes saying Brian Cocronan was finished and Cork club couldn't score in the full forward line and Antrim would win the all ireland eleven or so years ago, as Brian got two goals and certainly wasn't finished.
    A terrible mistakes but be fair he learned and that's all you can ask of any management.

He imo will be huge in to work ethic, but also intensity of training, drills that the end justified the means, and basic hurling skills like crisp hurling, working on the poor striking side and he does study the game and while he's huge experience I wouldn't say he's old school coaching. He's not in to physical preparation over ball training and developing skills is paramount to he's coaching philosophy and I think he'll be hands on hurling coach and developing decision makers on the field and is ideal for the younger generation of limerick players coming through.
    He coached kilruane mcdonagh he's own club to a minor county and tippeary to a senior minor all ireland.
    The question is yes why having coached tipp under twenty one and minor he never went to senior but we have often seen top coaches unfortunately never manage there own like ger Cunningham in cork, joe Quaid in limerick.

He's big in to he's philosophy that games and games whether it's trial games etc bring players on than just running around fields etc.
    Limerick were always fit and will be under o connor but the very least I expect is limerick basic hurling skills to improve from previous times.

Yes some of he's coaching in inter county senior teams hasn't had success but some he has.
    Laois sacked him but Antrim done okay and nearly beat Wexford twelve years ago, in an all ireland quarter final, Wexford who forced cork to a replay in 2003.

Most players speak highly of him.
    The question is is he strong enough to enforced he's mark in Ryan is a strong character and a fan of orthodox hurling so imo will he say this is the way forward as a manager usually dictates the style of play, and the coach implants it so imo a lot will depend on what Ryan wants.

I think ryan could if lesson are learned be a good manager in management of a team of people but know he's own limations as cody does and allow proven guys like o connor and Cahill do what they do best.

The other benefits from last year is Cahill is an outside voice and such is limerick recent poor record with grady, Wallace treatment they actually imo can ill afford to be seemed not cooperative with Cahill as if they do it's imo going to be hard to get top men down the line from other counties as Cahill is well respected as a coach.
    Also when players look around a dressing room they need to look at a coach and say we have reason to belive.

Last year none of limerick set up imo had that but this year they have all ireland winner and all ireland club medal winners and yes years ago but minor winner all ireland and one of Cahill strength is working with youth.
    He brought a lot of youth through at rynagh in offaly.
    Japan and ireland in rubgy and soccer were the under dog but in Eddie Jones and Martin o Neill etc they had management proven ability to make teams better than when they joined.
    Imo limerick can start to belive a bit more.

I think while concerns remain is he an all ireland winner imo i think hes a realistic chances of building a foundation for the introduction of young lads like Byrnes, lynch, morrisey, Nash, Ryan etc and they will improve under him and once a foundation is built then once Ryan term ends a new management if needed can be brought in depending on results.He normally in most teams he is with, clears out a few players and goes with youth.
    Depending who he may drop could mean some may question it but there is no doubt while a major clear out is not needed imo a fresh approach is needed with a statement of intent with two or three old player while good servants should be dropped from the panel as performance to be fair justify that.
    He can when needs must be ruthless which is no bad thing but must be balanced and timed imo correctly as too much change too fast will not settle things.

The point about limerick won't win anything next year imo a new coach won't win in year one anyway with limerick and outside the all ireland munster as it's not going to be changed with a long gap for the all ireland isn't worth winning so neither is the waterford crystal so imo the only thing to win is the league division two and get promoted but don't have to win the league.

Cahill and Ryan should be set targets, like promotional should be achieved as they have a good league draw and while clare is away if prepared right and a sweeper is played they can win.
    An all ireland semi final should be the goal, mimum standard and a few of the under twenty one brought in with some of last year panel dropped but done in moderation.

The talk last year among limerick was Ryan could do no wrong and people were slow to question he's methods or teams yet imo are unfair to Cahill who at least is much much much more successful than Ryan in righting of this year straight away.
    My view is the key will be how much Cahill and o connor can change but certainly there's postive signs as last year was just as I said many times not when if limerick would loose but when.
    This set up there actually a realistic chances it may work as things should be better than last year for a start.

As for tommy dunne I would rate him as a coach and was good with Dublin but I don't think he was available as he's back doing degree sports science and has a business and building a house soon as he said in the paper this year and time commitment would not allow him coach this year.
    He was doing a bit with clare castle.
    Yes he made mistakes with Ryan v kk and in fairness he admitted it and he said he rocked he's confidence but bounced back with Dublin.
    Imo he strikes me a coach that will learn from he's mistakes and I hope he does coaching again and is successful.
    Overall I think limerick have a fair chance of promotion now in the league but the ist three league game will tell a lot in if there's a change in style, as if there's no change in style in the league the championship is not going to be good.

The other fact is bar kk, cork, possibly Galway, clare possibly could all have new back room team or managers and tippeary imo i think ryan while great hurling man is wrong choice for this time for tipp.
    Waterford yes have a system but it needs changing and the under age success unlike limerick where had under sixteen minor under twenty one, waterford haven't had that and I don't belive there are as ahead of others as some think.
    Clare would be the real danger if Kinnerk joined them but it remains to be seen.
    Cahill may not been the ist choice but certainly isn't imo as bad as some think.
    It doesn't look good in one way that Wallace and Kinnerk didn't join however it shows at least limerick by approaching them and now Cahill are unlike last year showing intent.
    Ryan credit due or the ccb for making the best of a bad situation but the real test is have lessons been learned from last year.
    If they have Ryan, connor, and Cahill could work.
    If not I think ryan has more to loose as unlike o connor and Cahill to a degree they have more of a proven success in management so people will doubt them less imo, and that could be good in maybes Ryan is more open to change this year.
    If so he will deserve huge credit if that's the case.
    Time will tell but I have more hope in limerick then I had last year.

N20 wrote: »
    Great co final in prospect on Sunday- Richie Bennis has a nice piece in examiner and match being televised on tg4

I hope the old surpass the new and Patrickwell regain their former glory days

So much sport on TV Sunday its unbelievable. With RTE & TG4 player good chance i might have a clot by Sunday night !
    It would be great for Limerick if Patrickswell won.
    Best of luck sunday.
    I'll be recording it and look forward to watching it.

N20 wrote: »
    Bit harsh !

It seems harsh but unfortunately the reality is that poster has a point just like cork hurling at senior due to years of neglect and Cork football in kerry absoultey laugh at cork with good reason the fact is most top hurling men don't look on limerick as great when it's always false dawns and internal politics at senior deprive them of real glory

Limerick have serious talent coming through and would be among the best placed in munster if they got there house in order
    There's no point in fooling ourselves but kk don't respect imo cork or limerick in hurling as yes they may talk they do but you won't respect or fear an opponent you keep beating at senior etc
    Limerick like cork ist step is to accept that and then go about changing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Realbhoy

Some interesting reading on this thread recently. Ultimately I think players will ask themselves one question: will this person improve me as a hurler and help us win an all Ireland? I will be interested to hear from Dinny Cahill as to what his vision for Limerick hurling is and how he is going to contribute. My only concern is the length of time he has been out of intercounty management at any level. My perception is that there is a huge jump in every facet of the game from even a high club standard to intercounty (communication,preparation etc). Now all that said I hope that when we run out in Wexford in February that we hit the ground running, I'll be there (God willing)ready to give them 100% backing, no matter who is on the line. COYBIG

If we get the basics right and have a fully committed 25 hurlers i think we won't be far off next yr i don't know much about cahill so can't comment on him but wish him the best.
    As i said before i think todays match has the potential to be top notch with a lot of good hurlers on view i feel if Nap turn up it's theirs to lose but the well will be formidable opponents with great tradition on their side.

lim4ev wrote: »
    If we get the basics right and have a fully committed 25 hurlers i think we won't be far off next yr i don't know much about cahill so can't comment on him but wish him the best.
    As i said before i think todays match has the potential to be top notch with a lot of good hurlers on view i feel if Nap turn up it's theirs to lose but the well will be formidable opponents with great tradition on their side.
    Good it was a close final for Limerick hurling and probably better for munster hopes na Piarsaigh won but I feel for the well
    One thing that is clear after today is Ronan lynch apparently was outstanding at centre back and imo he's only position or midfield as much better than a forward
    Downes hopefully under Cahill will get regular games as He has huge potential for Limerick
    Hearing of one five in county final is good form

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭kala85

What was the controversy at the end of the final with the ref all about. Just caught the end of the game on tg4.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

kala85 wrote: »
    What was the controversy at the end of the final with the ref all about. Just caught the end of the game on tg4.

something to do with the score board at the ennis road end the na piarsaigh players made the ref do a re count it seemed

• Advertisement

kala85 wrote: »

Scoreboard showed about 59 minutes 45 seconds but the actual time was 61 minutes. No added time was shown and the ref blew the whistle. He also thought it was a draw but he forgot how to count it seems....

He was an absolute shambles anyway. Some shocking decisions throughout the game in favour of Na Piarsigh. Better team probably won on the day but the well didn't help themselves with all the wides. Awful to see most of the Na Piarsigh "fans" leave as soon as the final whistle went.

Can't say I noticed Ronan Lynch much in the game. Downes was very dangerous and Foley should have been switched off him early on. Byrnes didn't have the best of days. Improved in the second half though. The 3 O'Briens were dangerous alright.

Too much space given to Na Piarsigh all game and in fairness they took any chance they got. The Well will be back again and can say that they've been the second best team in the county this year.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement