Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock - The BBC4/BBC3/BBC2/BBC1 Music Programmes thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Dennis had nowhere to go after the brilliance of The Minder Theme, really.

Watching the end of The Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert on Sky Arts, always enjoyable, a fine celebration of Freddie and Queen's Music.

Queen should have called it a day right there instead of milking it to this very day..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

Skid X wrote: »
    Watching the end of The Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert on Sky Arts, always enjoyable, a fine celebration of Freddie and Queen's Music.

Queen should have called it a day right there instead of milking it to this very day..

John Deacon had the right idea. Bass players are a strangely sensible bunch.

Gizmo55 wrote: »
    John Deacon had the right idea. Bass players are a strangely sensible bunch.

Amen, he walked away with Dignity.

The other two should have had look in the mirror around the time they collaborated with Five.

It has to be the fame thing, some people just can't live without it. There was no excuse for that Five lark though. Just...wtf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,586 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Amen, he walked away with Dignity.

The other two should have had look in the mirror around the time they collaborated with Five.

Ugh. Working with Five. (Did they try to call themselves 5ive for a bit?)

Anyway, that's certainly a paddlin

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭cml387

I've seem interviews with Mike Oldfield recently, he seems to have turned into a bit of a grumpy old man.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I assume this is Jan84, I missed the start some classics, mike oldfield, the Cure...something for everyone! Tracey's music aged badly but nice to hear again anyway

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »
    I assume this is Jan84, I missed the start some classics, mike oldfield, the Cure...something for everyone! Tracey's music aged badly but nice to hear again anyway

It's the second Christmas Special from December 83, I think it's a recap of the year

Filmon.com (where I used to stream BBC4 when I'm not at a TV) is now charging for access, I'll need to find another Source.

It's the second Christmas Special from December 83, I think it's a recap of the year

Filmon.com (where I used to stream BBC4 when I'm not at a TV) is now charging for access, I'll need to find another Source.

Correct, it's the Christmas special.

Which is the one after the queen's speech? I only remember one.
    Need to check BBC genome.

• Advertisement

thats makes more sense, Not easy to stream alright, there used to be one like Robstv but they seem to want you to sign up now

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

got my Dear Prudence, they skipped over that one I think

I tell a lie. BBC Genome tells me that part 1 was on Sunday 25th December at 2pm, leading up to Queen's speech.

at least some of the songs match the weather better, Style council Long hot summer, smell of cut grass outside....

• Registered Users Posts: 34,081 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

cml387 wrote: »
    I've seem interviews with Mike Oldfield recently, he seems to have turned into a bit of a grumpy old man.

That's because he's turned old, he was always grumpy

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭droidman123

R.I.P gregg allman, a music legend.i am genuinely upset at this news as i was a huge allman brothers fan from the 70,s to the present time.their filmore east concerts was among one of the best concerts in the history of music.hopefully bbc4 will honour this amazing musician with a few specials and bring the allman brothers music to many people who might not be familiar with them. Goodbye gregg and thanks for all the wonderful memories

• Registered Users Posts: 72,102 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Christmas 1983 ends with Flying Pickets and Roland Rat...things can only get better! :D

Just watching the Mick Ronson film on Sky Arts ... the best parts are the interviews with Mick himself, would have been nice to see more of them (If they exist, maybe they used all they had).

The rest of it was good, although much of the film could have been from any Bowie Doc. I didn't realise how much Mick added to the Production and Arrangements of many of the Bowie (and Lou Reed/Transformer) songs. Joe Elliott's contributions were decent, he released a single with Mick Ronson at one point, looks like he was a big fan.

Hello, It was 50 years ago this week that Sergeant Pepper came out and Howard Goodall has a new show about it on BBC2, I like his stuff. Lots of vaguely Beatle related programming out there along with all sorts of others and TOTP smashing into the Brave New World of 1984! ...

Thursday
    7.30pm Sounds of The Eighties (BBC4)
    Showcasing a selection of musical performances from the BBC archives, including Eurythmics, Spandau Ballet, Phil Collins, Fine Young Cannibals, Tears for Fears, Suzanne Vega and Simply Red

9pm A Little Bit Country: Ray Lynam (TG4)
    Profile of respected singer Ray Lynam, who has had his fair share of demons to contend with, but whose uncompromising style and unique approach to music have won him many fans

11.30pm Other Voices (RTE2)
    The music show features performances by Dublin-born singer-singwriter Gavin James, Supergrass frontman Gaz Coombes and 18-year-old British multi-instrumentalist Lapsley - who was named as an artist to watch as part of BBC's Sound of 2015. Plus, Dublin-based rockers Bitch Falcon in the IMRO Other Room

12.30am Sounds of Cinema: Music That Made The Movies (Part 3) (BBC4)
    New Frontiers Neil Brand looks at how developing technology has taken film soundtracks in new directions and changed perceptions on how they should be made. He tries his hand at playing a theremin, the early Russian instrument that Miklos Rozsa used to evoke a sense of psychological disturbance in Alfred Hitchcock's movies and talks to Vangelis, who shares his inspiration for the Chariots of Fire and Blade Runner scores. The presenter also interviews Walter Murch and Carter Burwell, before Clint Mansell explains how electronic technology allowed him to become an acclaimed composer despite his lack of formal musical training. Last in the series

1.30am Arena: American Epic Part 2- Blood and Soil (BBC4)
    Repeat of last Sunday's episode

2.15am Nina Simone Live in 65 and 68 (Sky Arts)
    Two concerts by the jazz singer filmed for television broadcast in Holland and Britain in 1965 and 1968 respectively, including performances of Tomorrow Is My Turn, Mississippi Goddam, Four Women, The Ballad of Hollis Brown, I Put a Spell on You and Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood

Friday
    7.30pm Sounds of The Eighties (BBC4)
    Showcasing a selection of musical performances from the BBC archives, including Kool and the Gang, the Pointer Sisters, Grace Jones, Cameo, Bobby Womack, Sade, Alexander O'Neal and Whitney Houston

8pm Classic Albums: Judas Priest - British Steel (Sky Arts)
    Singer Rob Halford and producer Tom Allom are among those discussing the making of heavy metal outfit Judas Priest's 1980 album British Steel, which featured the hits Living After Midnight, United and Breaking the Law

9pm &12.30am Top Of The Pops: The Story of 1984 (BBC4) New!
    Contributors including Howard Jones, Nik Kershaw, Paul Young, Nigel Planer and Midge Ure recall the year of big hair and big tunes, when a BBC ban on Frankie Goes to Hollywood's Relax led to an embarrassing gap on the show when it reached the top of the chart. The year saw the rise of one-man acts such as Nik Kershaw and Howard Jones, while Sade brought a stripped-back soulful vibe to jazz pop. German singer Nena hit the top spot with 99 Red Balloons, while the Special AKA's Free Nelson Mandela combined a political message with an irresistible tune. The year ended with the stars of the day pooling their talents with Band Aid's charity single Do They Know It's Christmas?

9pm Brian Johnson's A Life On The Road: Robert Plant (Sky Arts)
    Brian meets Robert Plant to discuss some of Led Zeppelin's most memorable tours, recalling the wild antics of bandmates Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones, John Bonham. Last in the series

10pm Led Zeppelin: Celebration Day (Sky Arts)
    The band's one-off reunion performance at London's O2 in 2007 as part of a benefit concert to commemorate the life of Atlantic Records co-founder Ahmet Ertegun. Robert Plant, Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones were joined by former member John Bonham's son Jason on drums as the group played a selection of songs from their back catalogue, including Whole Lotta Love, Kashmir, Dazed and Confused and Black Dog

10pm & 1.30am Top Of The Pops: Big Hits 1984 (BBC4) New!
    A compilation of performances, featuring the Smiths, Duran Duran, Sade, the Weather Girls, Wham! and Bronski Beat. Further stellar appearances come from the show's debuts of iconic Americans Madonna, Miami Sound Machine and Cyndi Lauper - who runs riot in the studio. Frankie Goes to Hollywood celebrate their chart dominance of the year with one of their celebrated renditions of Two Tribes, while a less credible but arguably more memorable ditty comes courtesy of Black Lace

11pm & 2.30am Arena: Loretta Lynn - Still a Country Girl
    The veteran country music singer-songwriter looks back at her life from being born a coal miner's daughter in Kentucky, to selling over 45 million albums worldwide and to receiving the Presidential Medal of Freedom from President Barack Obama in 2013. Contributors include Willie Nelson, Sheryl Crow, Garth Brooks, Jack White and Sissy Spacek

11.20pm Later With Jools Holland (BBC2)
    Extended edition of the music programme. Brighton duo Royal Blood return to the show with songs from their highly anticipated second album How Did We Get So Dark, while from south London, influential electro-pop trio the xx perform tracks from their chart-topping I See You LP. New Orleans, bandleader and musician Trombone Shorty presents material from his Parking Lot Symphony album, which continues his style of hard-edged funk that employs brass-band beats, rock dynamics and improvisation in a jazz tradition. Los Angeles, sisters Este, Danielle and Alana, aka Haim, play a couple of numbers from their upcoming second album Something to Tell You. Plus, debuts from one of reggae's newest stars Chronixx, and new country music performer Maren Morris. Last in the series

12.30am Guitar Stories: Mark Knopfler (Sky Arts)
    The ex-Dire Straits frontman is joined by former bandmate John Illsley as he explores the six guitars that have had the greatest impact on his sound. They embark on a journey that takes them from Newcastle to New York via Yorkshire and London, and Mark reveals his connection with instruments made by Gibson, Fender and Hofner. The duo also meet influential figures from Knopfler's career, including blues musician Steve Phillips and guitar-builders Rudy Pensa and John Monteleone

1.30am Dire Straits: On The Night (Sky Arts)
    Concert film shot over the course of gigs at Les Arenes in Nimes and the Stadion Feijenoord in Rotterdam during the band's last concert tour. Mark Knopfler and the group perform tracks from their 1991 album On Every Street, as well as hits including Walk of Life, Money for Nothing, Wild Theme and Romeo and Juliet

3.30am Ladies and Gentlemen, The Rolling Stones (Sky Arts)
    Film following the band on their 1972 North American tour, featuring footage of two concerts in Texas, where they performed hits including Brown Sugar, Jumping Jack Flash and You Can't Always Get What You Want

Saturday
    7.15pm The South Bank Show Originals - Paul McCartney (Sky Arts)
    Melvyn Bragg revisits old episodes of his arts programme The South Bank Show, beginning with the first-ever edition from 1978, in which he met Paul McCartney. Alongside footage taken directly from his original interview, Bragg discusses what it was like to meet the former Beatle and why he chose a pop star as the initial guest. With a contribution by writer and broadcaster Clive James

7.45 Paul McCartney MusiCares Tribute (Sky Arts)
    Eddie Izzard hosts the 2012 MusiCares Person of the Year dinner and tribute concert at the Los Angeles Convention Centre, with guest of honour Paul McCartney kicking off proceedings. Artists including Alicia Keys, Tony Bennett, Norah Jones, Foo Fighters, Coldplay, Katy Perry, Neil Young and James Taylor then perform songs from the former Beatle's back catalogue, including Blackbird, Here,There and Everywhere, Oh! Darling, Jet, We Can Work it Out, Hey Jude, I Saw Her Standing There and Yesterday, before McCartney returns to the stage for the finale

9pm Sgt Pepper's Musical Revolution - with Howard Goodall (BBC2) New!
    The composer explores why the Beatles' 50-year-old album is still revered as an innovative, revolutionary and influential release. With the help of out-takes, studio conversations between the band and never-heard-before outside of Abbey Road, Howard gets `under the bonnet' of the album, taking the music apart and reassembling it to reveal how it works. Producer George Martin and his team constructed the album sound by sound, layer by layer - a formula that became the norm for just about every rock act who followed http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08tb97f

9pm My Beatles Black Album with Charles Hazlewood (Sky Arts)
    The conductor creates a compilation album formed of solo tracks made by John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Ringo Starr following the break up of the Beatles in 1970

10pm The Beatles: From Liverpool to San Francisco (Sky Arts)
    Documentary following the band's early career and subsequent rise to fame, discovering how they conquered the charts and won millions of fans around the world

10.25pm Sounds of The Eighties (BBC4)
    Repeat of Thursday's and Friday's shows

11pm Brian Johnson's A Life On The Road: Robert Plant (Sky Arts)
    Same as Friday

11.20pm Black Music Legends of The 1980s: Lionel Richie (Sky Arts)
    Profile of the soul singer, who found fame in the 1970s as frontman of the Commodores. The programme looks at his departure from the band in 1982 and subsequent international success as a solo artist. With contributions by Kenny Rogers, Lemar, Motown songwriter and producer Gloria Jones and video director Bob Giraldi

12.20am Lionel Richie at the BBC (BBC4)
    Archive performances by the singer, including his first Top of the Pops appearance with the Commodores in 1979 and highlights from his 2009 concert at the BBC's Maida Vale studios

Midnight Soundstage Presents Robert Plant (Sky Arts)
    The veteran singer and his backing band perform solo tracks and Led Zeppelin classics, including No Quarter, Black Dog, Freedom Fries, Hey Joe and Whole Lotta Love

1.10am Eric Clapton Live at The Royal Albert Hall (Sky Arts)
    A 2015 concert in which the guitarist celebrates both his 70th birthday and his 200th show at the Royal Albert Hall, performing a selection of hits spanning his entire career

1.20am Top Of The Pops: The Story of 1984 (BBC4)
    Same as Friday

2.20am Top of The Pops 1984 Big Hits
    Same as Friday

3.30am Guitar Stories: Mark Knopfler (Sky Arts)
    Same as Friday

Sunday
    6.55pm One Love Manchester Concert (BBC1) (Schedule Subject To Change)
    Live coverage of a concert at Old Trafford cricket ground to benefit those affected by the May 2017 Manchester bomb attack.
    Performers include Ariana Grande, Justin Bieber, Coldplay, Katy Perry, Take That, Niall Horan, Miley Cyrus, Usher and Pharrell. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08vb4dd

10pm Arena: American Epic Ep3/3 - Out of The Many, The One (BBC4)
    A look at Hawaiian influences on US roots music, including the invention of the steel guitar by Joseph Kekuku, and the development of Cajun music in Louisiana. Plus, the story of one of the genre's unsung heroes, Mississippi John Hurt, who became a star in the 1920s, only to return to life as a share cropper in the Great Depression, before a revival of his music in the 1960s

10.15pm Carole King: Tapestry Live from Hyde Park (Sky Arts)
    The singer-songwriter performs her 1971 album Tapestry in front of 65,000 people in the central London park

11pm Southern Rock at The BBC (BBC4)
    Archive performances by classic Southern rock acts on shows including The Old Grey Whistle Test, In Concert and Wogan. Featuring Lynyrd Skynyrd, the Charlie Daniels Band, the Ozark Mountain Daredevils, Delaney & Bonnie with Eric Clapton, Dickey Betts, formerly of the Allman Brothers Band, the Marshall Tucker Band, Black Oak Arkansas, Greg Allman with Cher, and Edgar Winter

11.30pm Soundstage Presents Stevie Nicks (Sky Arts)
    A concert by the singer-songwriter, who first rose to fame as part of Fleetwood Mac in the 1970s but has since become a successful solo artist

Midnight Later With Jools Holland ... Folk America (BBC4)
    The maestro introduces a diverse mix of musical performances from the American folk, blues, bluegrass and country scenes. Featuring artists including Plant & Krauss, Carolina Chocolate Drops, Odetta, Emmylou Harris, Norah Jones, Buddy Guy and Johnny Cash

12.30am Dusty Springfield Live at the Royal Albert Hall (BBC4)
    A 1979 concert by the pop singer recorded at the famous London venue in the presence of Princess Margaret. Featuring performances of tracks including I Close My Eyes and Count to Ten, All I See Is You, Son of a Preacher Man and You Don't Have to Say You Love Me

That's about it, as always if you have spotted anything else of note do let us know.

In a welcome return to budget music biopics True Movies 1 presents Elvis: The Early Years (Parts 1 & 2) on Saturday at 9pm.
    Jonathan Rhys Meyers won a Golden Globe for his Elvis in this. There are some very positive 10 star reviews on IMDB One chap claims "to all the Elvis haters and those who tore this film down, you don't have a clue. This was a great movie and for TV was a bloody masterpiece." while the good people at elvis.com.au say "the less that is seen of this production, the better as far as I'm concerned" Ah well.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,586 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Outstanding. Thanks Skid.

Howard Goodall's effort is a must watch for definite.

• Advertisement

Loads of decent Pepper-y programmes across BBC Radio 2 and 6Music too. :)

Never to see any other way, Never to see any other way, Never to see any other way, Never to see any other way, Never to see any other way, Never to see any other way, Never to see any other way, Never to see any other way, Never to see any other way, Never to see any other way, Never to see any other way, Never to see any other way, Never to see any other way, Never to see any other way, Never to see any other way, Never to see any other way, Never to see any other way, Never to see any other way... :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

That's because he's turned old, he was always grumpy

He never expected Tubular Bells to be so successful - nor was he happy about it being used in a certain horror film.

And, of course, his relationship with Richard Branson deteriorated over time - culminating in Amarok.

..-. / ..- / -.-. / -.-
    --- / ..-. / ..-.
    .-. / -...

:D;)

10pm & 1.30am Top Of The Pops: Big Hits 1984 (BBC4) New!
    A compilation of performances, featuring the Smiths, Duran Duran, Sade, the Weather Girls, Wham! and Bronski Beat. Further stellar appearances come from the show's debuts of iconic Americans Madonna, Miami Sound Machine and Cyndi Lauper - who runs riot in the studio. Frankie Goes to Hollywood celebrate their chart dominance of the year with one of their celebrated renditions of Two Tribes, while a less credible but arguably more memorable ditty comes courtesy of Black Lace

*jabs index fingers forward three times, does pushing movement forward with hands twice, clasps hands together and swings them over left shoulder and right shoulder, jabs index fingers forward three times, does pushing movement forward with hands twice, makes circles with hands over each other*

:o:o:o:D;)

Watching the 80's compilation. This I guess is to get round those who must not be seen.

I wonder was Grace wearing anything under that dress?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Sade's bass player taking the 'higher than level 42' stance..

Any higher and he's into Jimi Hendrix country

'Classic Albums' on Sky Arts at the moment, looking at 'British Steel' by Judas Priest.

All hail the metal god :D

GRIN-DERRRRRR! LOOK-ING FOR MEEEEAT! :cool:

Always good to see 'Heavy Metal Parking Lot' :)

Howard Jones vs Nik Kershaw

The gloves are off...FIGHT!

99 Red Balloons!

YEAH! :D

Ah Frankie, the last great pop phenomenon. Still love the basslines in Two Tribes and Welcome to the Pleasuredome. The 'Liverpool' album killed their career. Should have waited another year til they had stronger stuff written, no doubt the pressure was on from ZTT though.

• Advertisement

'The War Song'

*shudder*

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement