Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shane Lowry - 2019 Champion Golfer of The Year (note first post please for posting guidance)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Shane may lack a bit of distance off the tee but so does GMac and he can get into contention quite a bit. He seems to be pretty inaccurate with his drives though (about 60%) and so far has only about 50% GIR. Add to that his putting return and it's no real surprise he's at the bottom of the leaderboard.

I'd suspect that his inaccuracy off the tee is giving him problems with his approaches and it's downhill from there since he's probably giving himself too much work with the putter to just save par.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Shane started with a bogey on two but has put in two back to back birdies on 4 and 5. He's had a short enough drive on the 7th (280) but could get himself into a scoring position if he can make the green on his second shot.

Edit: Must have decided it was too risky to take on and bailed to the right hand fairway and ended with a par :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Another birdie on 8. C'mon Shane! It would be great to see him move up the leaderboard a bit.

Shane on -3 for the day, level par for the tournament, with two holes to go. His playing partner is having a nightmare day, which won't be helping the concentration.

And Shane birdies the last. That was a good round - well done man!

• Advertisement

Seems to have dropped two places to 60th in the World Rankings. Wish I knew how this worked!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,756 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

vienne86 wrote: »
    Seems to have dropped two places to 60th in the World Rankings. Wish I knew how this worked!

Maths, he lost ground on the math average of others, real key to improve is to gain more points than you lose, that way you're not relying on performance of others.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

This guy seems to disappear for weeks from tournament play but he's tweeted he's about to play 9 of the next 12 weeks, seems an irregular playing pattern but who am I to query.
    Hope he does well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

slave1 wrote: »
    This guy seems to disappear for weeks from tournament play but he's tweeted he's about to play 9 of the next 12 weeks, seems an irregular playing pattern but who am I to query.
    Hope he does well...

There hasn't been a lot for him tournament wise in the last couple of weeks given that he can't make the Ryder cup. There are however some big tournaments coming up which I suppose he wanted to be fresh for with a lot of WR points up for grabs.

He seems to me to be in a very good place at the moment and managing his schedule very well. Here's hoping he can make the Top 50 before the end of the year.

I dunno, one tournament in 6 weeks is quite low...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,519 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Shane will play the next 2 weeks in Switzerland and the Netherlands and then will obviously have Ryder cup week off.

He should be out for 2 weeks again then in the Dunhill links and Portugal Masters and possibly a 3rd week in Volvo world matchplay? (Wouldn't be in on the criteria currently but if they have to move down the current race to Dubai list he may have a shout)
    Another 2 week break then would bring him to the final series where id imagine he'll be going for all 4 events.

Easy to see why he sat out the recent small money events.

A drive to finish top 50 in OWGR by end of year to secure a place in The Masters??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

slave1 wrote: »
    I dunno, one tournament in 6 weeks is quite low...

There hasn't been a whole lot to get excited about in Europe though and he couldn't play in the Fed-Ex play-offs. I guess if he was eligible to play in those then he would be playing over there.

November would be a nice time to peak with 4 tournaments with an average prize fund of around $7.5 million

Nice little run from Lowry to be -4 after 12 holes in the European Masters.

Eagle, birdie, birdie to start the front 9 (His back 9)

Edit: Just bogeyed the next so -3 T6th 2 off the lead.

Lowry in a good position in the Omega. Hope he pushes on today. Sky commentators seem to like him.....were remarking that he has a nice game and doesn't go messing with his swing on the practice ground. He's good to watch and I hope we see more of him today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭abff

vienne86 wrote: »

The World Rankings are based on a rolling two year average, subject to a maximum of 52 tournaments being taken into account. In calculating the average, the full value of the points won is applied for events within the previous months. Thereafter, the points value is reduced by 1/92nd each week.

If a player takes a week off, his average points will usually drop due to the above reduction being applied. An exception can occur if the player had played 52 or fewer tournaments in the previous two years and one of those events was exactly two years ago. In that case, the reduction in the divisor might outweigh the reduction in total points, thereby giving a higher average.

In general, if a player's average points value drops from one week to the next, he is more likely to move down in the table than move up. However, this will depend on how the players close to him in the rankings did during the week in question and the player could move up in the rankings if players close by lose more points than he loses in a particular week.

Players winning tournaments or finishing in high positions, particularly in events with a high ranking value, will generally leap several places in the table and this will also contribute to any drop in ranking position for the players he passes.

Bet you're sorry you asked now.;)

Ouch! Just had a double bogey at the 11th.

Disappointing level par round, even a two under would have got a top 10 finish...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭benny79

Here did he finished missed yesterdays coverage?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

benny79 wrote: »
    Here did he finished missed yesterdays coverage?

T13 in the end.

Dropped one place in the world rankings to 62nd.

• Advertisement

I see that Shane has qualified to play in the Volvo World Match Play at Wentworth in October. I'll be in Portugal the previous week and hoping to see him challenge for the Portugal Masters.

http://www.europeantour.com/europeantour/season=2014/tournamentid=2014082/news/newsid=235809.html

abff wrote: »
    I see that Shane has qualified to play in the Volvo World Match Play at Wentworth in October. I'll be in Portugal the previous week and hoping to see him challenge for the Portugal Masters.

http://www.europeantour.com/europeantour/season=2014/tournamentid=2014082/news/newsid=235809.html

Nice money even for showing up and guaranteed ranking points as well with only 16 players!

Winner €650,000

Runner Up €330,000

3rd €210,000

4th €160,000

Losing quarter-finalists €100,000

Third in group €75,000

Last in group €50,000

Nice first round in Wales, lots of bogeys but still 3 under, currently in joint 3rd but early days yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Following up the first round with a bogey free (so far) 2nd round, Currently looking down on the rest of the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭aster99

I see he's got rid of the the Odyssey 2 ball blade that he had for years. Using the versa 2 ball now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Dbu

shot 65 leader by 1 heading into weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Dealerz

On sky sports news, he's from where?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭WhatNowForUs?

Dealerz wrote: »
    On sky sports news, he's from where?

Offaly. it says it clearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Offaly. it says it clearly.

You didn't read the first sentence did you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

It wasn't completely flawless;-)

Advertisement