Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Accompanied driving rules & penalties for noncompliance

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 CoachDriver

From next Monday (30 June 2008), all provisional licence holders will be banned from driving solo. Until now, motorists holding a first, third or subsequent provisional licence had to have a front-seat passenger with a full driving licence, but a driver on a second licence was permitted to drive unaccompanied. more > > > >

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 chris11

Thanks for the response,I am still insure of something,if I commited an offense why was allowed to drive off and why wasn't I told on the spot I was being charged?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 CoachDriver

chris11 wrote: »
    Thanks for the response,I am still insure of something,if I commited an offense why was allowed to drive off and why wasn't I told on the spot I was being charged?

:)This is your Garda with a smile

An Garda Siochana was told not to enforce the “New Law” to hard for the first few weeks. It would not happen in the rest of Europe.

I was stopped before June 30th so I cant be charged under the current laws,correct?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭TheElf

I was stopped before June 30th so I cant be charged under the current laws,correct?

Which provisional where you on when you got stopped? The rules for 1st 3rd and subsequent provisional came in the November before, it was only June for 2nd provisional holders.

I think...someone correct me if I'm wrong. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I was stopped at a checkpoint in June last year,I had a provisional licence at the time but the gard just told me I shouldn't be driving by myself and let me go,I recently got summoned to court for driving unaccompanied.As I was stopped before June 30th what laws am I being charged under?
    You don't state what category of vehicle you were driving or which Provisional Licence you held.

The previous permission to drive unaccompanied on a 2nd Provisional Licence only applied to category B. (apart from the fact that there was no requirement to be accompanied in categories A, A1, M or W).

Which Provisional Licence did you hold at the time and in what category was applicable when you were stopped?

TheElf wrote: »
    The rules for 1st 3rd and subsequent provisional came in the November before
    They have been in force for many years.

I was on my first provisional and I was driving a car,well I guess I'll see how it goes in court.

I was on my first provisional and I was driving a car,well I guess I'll see how it goes in court.
    Then you were clearly breaking the law. The recent changes in category B only affected those on their 2nd Provisional Licence. It has been illegal for many years to drive unaccompanied on a 1st, 3rd or subsequent licence in category B.

Ah yeah I know I was breaking the law,but I know people who were stopped before Jun 30th who weren't brought to court and the fact that it happened so long ago makes it pretty annoying

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭TheElf

Oops, just read my post again, sounds a bit daft! I meant the enforcement and fines etc. :o

I went to court and my case was struck out:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭Richie15

TheElf wrote: »
    The rules for 1st 3rd and subsequent provisional came in the November before
    But not the €1000 fine. Also, they were supposedly going to start enforcing them ("and we mean it this time!") :)

I have a question, is the accompanying driver supposed to be fit to take control of the car should the learner become too nervous? If that's the case, surely he has to be insured in the car.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Richie15 wrote: »
    But not the €1000 fine. Also, they were supposedly going to start enforcing them ("and we mean it this time!") :)

I have a question, is the accompanying driver supposed to be fit to take control of the car should the learner become too nervous? If that's the case, surely he has to be insured in the car.

They should be in a fit state, ie, not under the influence of drink etc. But there is no requirement for them to be insured on the vehicle. They are there to give instruction, not to drive the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 A Metoudi

Hi,
    Can a provisional B license holder get insurance to drive an old camper van if accompanied by a qualified driver?

A Metoudi

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

First off, you have a "Learners Permit" thy stopped issuing "Provisional Licenses" a long while back. Now, the definition of a Category B license is as follows
    Vehicles with seats for up to 8 passengers and max weight of 3,500kg
    If your van is under 3500Kg, then yes you are allowed to drive it once you are accompanied and insured etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 A Metoudi

Thanx, that's helpful, didn't know about the weight issue!:o
    A Metoudi

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭yurmothrintites

Are learner permit drivers allowed to drive accompanied at night?

A Metoudi wrote: »
    Thanx, that's helpful, didn't know about the weight issue!:o
    A Metoudi
    Yeah the weight constraint is just to make the difference between car and large van which fall into a category C(correction) C1 vehicle which covers you up to 7500Kgs.
    Are learner permit drivers allowed to drive accompanied at night?

Yes they are, there's no constraints as far as daylight goes. Your driving test will only be done during daylight hours though.

• Advertisement

Yeah the weight constraint is just to make the difference between car and large van which fall into a category C vehicle which covers you up to 7500Kgs
    Apologies for being pedantic Alan but a C1 would cover up to 7500kgs. There is no upper weight limit on a category C licence. ;)

Apologies for being pedantic Alan but a C1 would cover up to 7500kgs. There is no upper weight limit on a category C licence. ;)

Who am i to argue with the master! Right you are!

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭DoubleJoe7

Hi folks.

Was caught unaccompanied on a provisional on the motorway this morning.

Not looking for sympathy, I screwed up plain and simple. I know it's €1,000 for the unaccompanied offense, but what can I expect to get for being on the motorway?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Did they not give you any indication of the penalty no? Let us know what happens

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

DoubleJoe7 wrote: »
    Hi folks.

Not looking for sympathy, I screwed up plain and simple. I know it's €1,000 for the unaccompanied offense, but what can I expect to get for being on the motorway?
    I would imagine that you will only get "done" for one offence - presumably for driving unaccompanied!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Irish_polizei

andresmalo wrote: »
    Question,

I pass my driver theory test, and now I have my provisional driver license. Im from Argentina and I have my Argentinian driverl license as well. I insured my car under my irish provisional driver license but.. Im wondering if I drive my car "ALONE" and the garda stops me, if I show them my Argentinian driver license what should they say?, I mean.. I can drive with my Argentinian driver license by law for one year since I arrive to Ireland, so.. I supposed to be "legally" driving?.

Thanks a lot.
    No, your argentinian licence is null and void within the European union as Argentina is not a european state member...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

DoubleJoe7 wrote: »
    Hi folks.

You probabky wont get done for being on the motorway anywy but if you do its something like a 60euro fine i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

hey guys,

i have a learners permit at the moment with my car and have to wait for 6 months before i can go for my full licence.

can you plesae inform me if i am covered if i get in an accident on the road(with or without another car involved) without a full licenced passenger onboard?

i know i can be pulled over by the guards and get a fine, would you please tell me how much that is and if i get any penalty points also?

its such a pain to wait for 6 months to go for my full licence.

thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 20,927 ✭✭✭✭Stark

can you plesae inform me if i am covered if i get in an accident on the road(with or without another car involved) without a full licenced passenger onboard?

Why don't you ring your insurance company or is that too much of a pain?

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

there is no need for the attitude, i am receiving conflicting reports from differant sources and am looking for clarification on the subject matter.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement