Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi stoppage 24hour

Options
  • 29-03-2009 11:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭

Dont know if any of you are aware ,but theres to be a nationwide 24hr taxi stoppage .Starting at 4am Sun til 4am Tues

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

There will still be plenty working.

Lol, nothing as funny as the self-employed going on strike
    oisindoyle wrote: »
    Dont know if any of you are aware ,but theres to be a nationwide 24hr taxi stoppage .Starting at 4am Sun til 4am Tues

That's 48 hours

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

That explains the fares I've been charged lately..
    They like doubling everything. This country has one of the dearest fares in Europe.
    I have no sympathy for them..

Taxi regulator sets the fare, not the drivers in fairness.
    Though most don't give discounts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

The guys still working will clean up!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Don't expect there to be any impact from this - the part timers will be out in force to take the excess trade.

• Advertisement

Random wrote: »
    The guys still working will clean up!

But will the ranks be picketed?
    I passed the rank by Tesco Ballyfermot. It's a large rank and you can have 30 plus drivers there on Saturdays looking for fares from shoppers. And they queue up so far they park ON the pedestrian crossings! :mad:
    That rank is very quiet for the rest of the week.

There is a sign up notifying people of the next strike. So I wouldn't be surprised to see some drivers block and picket the rank next time

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

mikemac wrote: »
    Taxi regulator sets the fare, not the drivers in fairness.
    Agreed but they still moan they can't make a wage..
    Going fron the Airport to Ballymun at Christmas the taxi man (a dub I might add) tried to rip me off...
    Will I go the M50?? its the handiest!!!
    God knows what waffle the tourists get!!
    If its so hard to make a living why are more & more people getting plates??

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

But will the ranks be picketed?

Hail off the street... if they can manage to be bothered picketing every kerb I'd be amazed :P

Interesting how they picked probably the quietest night of the week to do this on to...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

koolkid wrote: »
    Agreed but they still moan they can't make a wage..
    Going fron the Airport to Ballymun at Christmas the taxi man (a dub I might add) tried to rip me off...
    Will I go the M50?? its the handiest!!!
    God knows what waffle the tourists get!!
    If its so hard to make a living why are more & more people getting plates??

is the m50 not the handiest way to get to the mun from the airport?

ntlbell wrote: »

Absolutely not. From Ballymun, continue up the Ballymun Road under the M50, turn right, down the side of the aiport, turn left - you're there. Frequently no traffic there either vs. heavy traffic at the M1/M50 interchange. Reverse that for the quoted direction obviously...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭oisindoyle

MYOB wrote: »
    Hail off the street... if they can manage to be bothered picketing every kerb I'd be amazed :P

Interesting how they picked probably the quietest night of the week to do this on to...
    They initially were going toprotest later in the week but it was then moved to join with the ICTU ,That was cancelled so the taxi one remains ,,,,,
    People only strike/protest as a last resort ,,Dont understand why many on this forum are so hate filled,,,its pathetic really

Indeed, who bothers with ranks anymore? Just stroll over to a main road and stick your arm out! :)

Hmmm, they didn't call a strike on a Friday or Saturday night, interesting....

Its probobly the quickest... The quickest way to notch up €25 that is.
    M1, M50 roundabout, N1 to Ballymun

You certainly wouldn't do any distance on the M50

I done it on a mates meter €25-€30
    Back road to NCT centre & ballmun road €15

I stand corrected on the best route from Ballymun to the airport.
    I picked the most obvious route but others know a better route, fair play

Absolutely not. From Ballymun, continue up the Ballymun Road under the M50, turn right, down the side of the aiport, turn left - you're there. Frequently no traffic there either vs. heavy traffic at the M1/M50 interchange. Reverse that for the quoted direction obviously...

must be a mental thing it with me i always find jumping on to the m50 much quicker (i'm not a taxi man ;) )

Its probobly the quickest... The quickest way to notch up €25 that is.

I done it on a mates meter €25-€30
    Back road to NCT centre & ballmun road €15

do you remembr the times?

I stand corrected on the best route from Ballymun to the airport.
    I picked the most obvious route but others know a better route, fair play

Dubs vs. non-Dubs knowledge of the city probably (I take it you're a Dub? If not my point falls apart entirely...)

As a non-Dub the road down the side of the airport *is* the most obvious route :D

must be a mental thing it with me i always find jumping on to the m50 much quicker (i'm not a taxi man ;) )

It is quicker but they make double the fare with it..
    5 minutes doing 70+ does wonder for the meter..

Dubs vs. non-Dubs knowledge of the city probably (I take it you're a Dub? If not my point falls apart entirely...)

As a non-Dub the road down the side of the airport *is* the most obvious route :D

I am a Dub, thats my point....Trying to rip off someone who obviousally knows thier way around.:mad:

Culchie and proud :pac:

Ya bleedin junkie ya :p

N1 to M1 to airport is faster.
    I know the old airport road past ALSAA but I didn't think the fare would be cheaper.
    Now I know, thanks

• Advertisement

It is quicker but they make double the fare with it..
    5 minutes doing 70+ does wonder for the meter..
    Double really ? How ...
    and 5 minutes doeswonder for the meter again HOW?

so is it 48 hours as per the OP or 24 hours?

Double really ? How ...
    and 5 minutes doeswonder for the meter again HOW?

because the meter bombs a long ? at that speed?

Double really ? How ...
    See my previous post ..
    Via back road €15
    M50 €25-30
    Ok if the fare comes to €28.50 its not quite double, providing your prepared to wait while the driver fumbles for the change waiting for you to say its ok..
    and 5 minutes does wonder for the meter again HOW?
    Would you not agree 5 minutes going at speed makes makes more than 5 minutes going a shorter distence???

because the meter bombs a long ? at that speed?
    LOL LOL LOL You havent a clue mate ,,,,,thats the funnist thing ive ever heard,,,thanks for the laugh

Culchie and proud :pac:

Ya bleedin junkie ya :p

N1, M50 roundabout, M1 to airport is faster.
    I know the old airport road past ALSAA but I didn't think the fare would be cheaper.
    Now I know, thanks

I've never found a time of day when having to deal with the M50/M1 would be any faster...

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=R108&daddr=53.418357,-6.252723+to:Swords+Rd&hl=en&geocode=FVLELgMdBGqg_w%3B%3BFQg2LwMdYdCg_w&mra=dpe&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=15&via=1&sll=53.415492,-6.253667&sspn=0.012687,0.038624&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=15 is what I mean, in case theres any confusion.

LOL LOL LOL You havent a clue mate ,,,,,thats the funnist thing ive ever heard,,,thanks for the laugh

?

m50 = longer distance but at speed = quicker = more cash no?

can you clear up the joke?

as a layman I missed the punch line?

So the fare on the meter doesn't go faster if your driving faster???:rolleyes:
    thats the funnist thing ive ever heard,,,thanks for the laugh

?

m50 = longer distance but at speed = quicker = more cash no?

can you clear up the joke?

as a layman I missed the punch line?

NOOOOOOOOOoooo its doesnt move any quicker if the car is going faster

• Advertisement

Going by Google, taking the M50 is 2km longer and will (at the moment) have an almost guaranteed standing period at the M1/M50 interchange when heading from the airport which would also tick over the meter...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement