Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 54,091 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

They went for the 8 week ban originally?

Incompetence. This is a joke.

We absolutely must appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Appeals can go two ways......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Is there any footage available of the incident?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

Disciplinary Update - Roger Wilson
    For immediate release: Thursday 5 March 2015
    Issued on behalf of GUINNESS PRO12 Rugby

Roger Wilson, the Ulster back row forward, appeared today before an independent PRO12 Rugby Disciplinary Committee, following a citing for allegedly striking an opponent during the second half of the Guinness PRO12 match between Ulster and Scarlets on Friday 27 February 2015.

The Disciplinary Committee, chaired by Roddy Dunlop, sitting with Pamela Woodman and John Kirk (all Scotland), having listened to representations by and on behalf of the player, and viewed TV footage of the incident, found that Roger Wilson had committed an act of foul play which would have warranted a red card and considered it to be reckless rather than intentional, and at the low end of World Rugby's sanctions for this type of offence, which carries an entry-point of 2 weeks.

The Committee found that there were no aggravating factors, and after taking into account the mitigating factors, they reduced the entry point by one week and imposed a one week suspension. The player is suspended from playing until midnight on Sunday 8 March 2015, and has the right of appeal.

Law 10.4 (a) Punching or Striking. A player must strike an opponent with the fist or arm, including the elbow, shoulder, head or knee(s).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

Hmmm just took a look at it there, 5 weeks may be harsh but I'm not surprised he has been banned.

From the outset, I'm not anti Ulster or anything and I thought the ban given to McCloskey was OTT but having watched the clip about 10 times, his actions are at worst intentional and at best reckless. In Marshall's defence, he doesn't strike me as nasty so I'll say reckless.

It's a basic piece of footwork to turn around and get into the defensive line but at all times he's looking down at the players head, because of this he has no excuse for making contact with the players head. Based on where his right foot is planted, his left foot clipping the head is a bit dodgy for me.

I think the rules are fairly clear at present, if you make contact with a head with your boot, there is every chance you could be banned, especially if the action can be characterised as reckless, which I think this can be. 5 weeks is harsh for me but overall, I don't think a ban is shocking....players owe other players a duty of care....stray boots to the head shouldn't be tolerated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

awec wrote: »
    They went for the 8 week ban originally?

Incompetence. This is a joke.

We absolutely must appeal.
    8 weeks is the entry point in the tiered system. His kick was deemed mid range and it was reduced.
    Considering ive sent players off in recent weeks for kicks to head that was most certainly mid range though a reduction is fair.
    He was looking at what he was doing. He strikes a player lying on ground in the head

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Yeah, actually the more I think about this, the less shocked I am. It's going back to the whole "duty of care" thing; maybe Marshall didn't mean to boot him in the head but he didn't go out of his way to avoid it.

Still, the ban itself seems pretty lengthy, an entry-level offence would seem more reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

To me it's another instance of slow-motion replays making incidents look worse than they were. Take a look at it in real-time:
    https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=819288248150276&set=vb.126216190790822&type=2&theater

I don't see any intent there, but in slow-motion it looks malicious.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I think it actually looks worse there as it looks more deliberate and sneaky.

Ulster themselves obviously aren't too impressed.....they just posted this...."flick";)

https://twitter.com/UlsterRugby/status/573511123661643777

They can be impressed or unimpressed all they want, that clip looks worse than the slow mo, it looks like he deliberately left the leg in to hit your man.

Remember the Lanelli guy had to be taken off with concussion and didn't play anymore in that game so it wasn't just a little flick either.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    They can be impressed or unimpressed all they want, that clip looks worse than the slow mo, it looks like he deliberately left the leg in to hit your man.

Remember the Lanelli guy had to be taken off with concussion and didn't play anymore in that game so it wasn't just a little flick either.

Oh I'm with you, I'm just highlighting how Ulster are trying to portray it!! Think people forget just how vulnerable the head can be with, what if the roles were reversed and Marshall took a reckless boot to the head....another one or two concussions could end his career....boots to the head shouldn't be tolerated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,812 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Marshall has probably fallen victim to the current climate in relation to head injuries...Ironic really...

I doubt very much that it was intentional but then it can't be proved one way or the other.

It's as well Olding will be back for the Cardiff game. Not sure how the midfield will look against the Dragons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I'm with Ulster on this one. Absolutely nothing in it. 5 weeks is a joke.

• Advertisement

Hagz wrote: »
    I'm with Ulster on this one. Absolutely nothing in it. 5 weeks is a joke.

The thing is it isn't the sort of thing that is going to carry a 2 week ban. Once the panel decided that it is wreckless or deliberate then they have to hand out a severe ban.

S12b wrote: »
    Ulster themselves obviously aren't too impressed.....they just posted this....

The fact that there's a flick in the first place is the problem. Just stupidity from Marshall.

Ulster themselves obviously aren't too impressed.....they just posted this...."flick";)

I think they said on Facebook that they posted video due to numerous requests from supporters.

That's effectively four red cards for Ulster this season and six in 11 months. Crazy.

I don't even think we are a dirty team, you could probably argue the toss over 4 of those cards (Payne, McCloskey, Marshall and Wilson) and yet letter of the law the correct decision was to send the player off, yet I don't think there was any malice or intention in any of the incidents. I suppose there is a growing feeling, rightly or wrongly, that we are always on the wrong end of these decisions. For example what sanction was there against Kearney for his tackle on Jackson last season? A yellow card? Personally I thought that was fair enough but having seen some of the red cards or citings dished out this season I'd say Kearney got away with one. What did the Toulon player get for kicking Olding in the head in what was a lot more obvious than Marshall's incident? 4 weeks I think.

Our suspensions are close to matching our injury count at the moment!

The inconsistency is the worst bit. Especially when we are the ones consistently being screwed.

So what about the midfield for the Dragons?

Cave and A.N. Other

Allen to 12 with Scholes coming onto the wing seems the most obvious option.

We could also move Ludik to the centre and stick Nelson at 15.

Or we could be really brave and throw Sam Arnold in but that probably isn't on the cards.

• Advertisement

From this angle I'm not overly surprised he's been banned. Can easily see that being a red if reviewed by the TMO. For me he's definitely made an odd movement with his leg. I don't think he meant to kick the guy in the face, maybe looked to toe the ball away and just made a bags of it.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

On a separate issue, how **** was the TMO on the Roger Wilson incident? No doubt it was totally accidental but every time there looked like a good angle the TMO changed it just before the "punch" as it's being called was made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

It was very careless of Marshall, but 5 weeks seems a bit harsh to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Oh wait.....I thought it was supposed to be his right shin that catches him. I see now that he flicks his left foot. I'm not sure it was intentional but I can see now why he's received a ban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,862 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

bilston wrote: »
    So what about the midfield for the Dragons?

Cave and A.N. Other

Allen to 12 with Scholes coming onto the wing seems the most obvious option.

We could also move Ludik to the centre and stick Nelson at 15.

Or we could be really brave and throw Sam Arnold in but that probably isn't on the cards.

paddy-wallace-4-390x285.jpg

:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Cave at 12, Allen or Ludik at 13 and / or Ludik, Scholes, Nelson or Andrew at 14 / 15

jacothelad wrote: »
    Cave at 12, Allen or Ludik at 13 and / or Ludik, Scholes, Nelson or Andrew at 14 / 15

It would be good to see Scholes get a start.

Was just reading UAFC and was reminded that AOC was cited for an aggressive choke tackle, so that is effectively 7 red cards in 11 months. Whether justified or not that is absolutely shocking discipline. Doak needs to look at this asap and we need to stop feeling sorry for ourselves. Some of them may and do appear harsh but they keep happening.

Between injuries, suspensions, playing players out of position, players leaving last year and changes at the top we seem determined to do everything with one arm tied behind our backs this season. It's a miracle we are actually doing as well as we are...results wise anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

I can see why Ulster fans may be aggrieved, they'd players kicked in the head earlier in the season and the perpetrators only got a week or two. It seems like they get done just when its decided that it needs to be clamped down on more. Much like Payne last season. Their like guinea pigs for the IRB.

Yup. No more red cards for tackles in the air since Payne. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Deliberate or recklessly violent conduct has no place in the game. However we seem to be on the end of some really crappy decisions. The Payne, O'Connor, Marshall, Wilson suspensions were all ludicrous to a degree.

Payne's was an accident, complete and utter nonsense in the context of how the game is played. If you ant to remove accidental collisions from rugby you have to ban the game.

O'Connor had a guy lying on top of him and did what we'd all do - threw him off. How was he to know he was unconscious. I'm pretty certain he wasn't checking the guys respiration while a 16 stone player was lying on his chest.

Marshall's is ridiculous. Look at DOC's deliberate kick on Olding....two weeks for a clearly deliberate boot to the head. POC's accidental and maybe reckless boot on Kearney jnr was just that - an accident. no different to Marshall but a whole lot more dangerous....and rightly no action was taken.

Wilson tried to dislodge a ball, something done multiple times in every game. The ball hits the guy in the kite. Wilson gets banned....ffs

McCloskey was maybe borderline, held a guy up...unwisely and possibly dangerous of itself but he didn't drop the guy, an opponent ran in and clattered into him causing him to release the legs. It was like taking out a lifter in the line out.

Deccie hit a guy with a pat to the bake after having his face rearranged by an Italian clawed hand....red card? In Law but we've seen many a handbag like that given a yellow.

Court's was the other that was clearly stupid and a red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Is there an clips of the Wilson incident?

.ak wrote: »
    Is there an clips of the Wilson incident?
    Might be something on UAFC. He swung an arm to dislodge a ball. Open handed. Cited for punching. Travesty. T'Eo gets warned for far worse - even though I don't think that was worthy of a citing. His victim caused the problem by poor technique. Barclay got a bloody nose from the ball. The worst action of the Ulster game was Williams over vigourous - and legal - ruck clear out which has damaged Shingler's shoulder. Not even a whisper. This citing nonsense is now bringing the game into disrepute. Guys getting above their station with a bit of power. It's nearly all ballix as far as I can see. Looking at slo-mo action doesn't show the reality.

It was going ok until you tried to brush off the Fitzpatrick punch. A more clear cut red you will never see.

The AOC one was pretty bad too. He choked a guy unconscious FFS.

Deliberate or recklessly violent conduct has no place in the game. However we seem to be on the end of some really crappy decisions. The Payne, O'Connor, Marshall, Wilson suspensions were all ludicrous to a degree.

Payne's was an accident, complete and utter nonsense in the context of how the game is played. If you ant to remove accidental collisions from rugby you have to ban the game.

O'Connor had a guy lying on top of him and did what we'd all do - threw him off. How was he to know he was unconscious. I'm pretty certain he wasn't checking the guys respiration while a 16 stone player was lying on his chest.

Marshall's is ridiculous. Look at DOC's deliberate kick on Olding....two weeks for a clearly deliberate boot to the head. POC's accidental and maybe reckless boot on Kearney jnr was just that - an accident. no different to Marshall but a whole lot more dangerous....and rightly no action was taken.

Wilson tried to dislodge a ball, something done multiple times in every game. The ball hits the guy in the kite. Wilson gets banned....ffs

McCloskey was maybe borderline, held a guy up...unwisely and possibly dangerous of itself but he didn't drop the guy, an opponent ran in and clattered into him causing him to release the legs. It was like taking out a lifter in the line out.

Deccie hit a guy with a pat to the bake after having his face rearranged by an Italian clawed hand....red card? In Law but we've seen many a handbag like that given a yellow.

I agree with all that but why does it seem to be only happening to us?

It was going ok until you tried to brush off the Fitzpatrick punch. A more clear cut red you will never see.

The AOC one was pretty bad too. He choked a guy unconscious FFS.

He didn't choke a guy into unconsciousness. He was never near his neck and tracheal region. That is just nonsense. The player had a huge pile of bodies on top of him. If he really did become unconscious then there may be some thing wrong with him. The time line of the event certainly would not cause a healthy, strong, fit professional athlete to lose consciouness simply by an opponent wrapping his arms around his upper torso.

I wasn't brushing off Fitzpatrick's punch. It was pretty ineffectual and we've often seen yellow cards issued for similar. Remember POC clocking Cudmore in front of the A.R. after being attacked - yelllow card. Deccie gets his bake ripped and retaliates. Red card. My main gripe really was that there was clear evidence of Bertgamasco's skulduggery on Deccie yet nothing was done.

Just on Marshall I think what happened was that he initially thought there was an opportunity to kick the ball away, realised at the last moment there wasn't so he tried to pull out and unfortunately clipped the players noggin. Clearly an accident and everything we know about Marshall would suggest there is no way he would deliberately kick someone on the head.

5 weeks is still very harsh IMO compared to other sanctions for similar and worse offences and that is where we as Ulster fans can feel aggrieved, but I'm not surprised he got a ban. Just 2 weeks would have been enough although leaving the guidelines to the side I'd have thought a stern talking to was more appropriate!

Team's up for Dragons

Headlines
    Cave to skipper side
    Hendy at 6
    Stanley gets a start at 12
    Scholes and Arnold on the pine

15 Louis Ludik
    14 Craig Gilroy
    13 Darren Cave (capt)
    12 Mike Stanley
    11 Michael Allen
    10 Ian Humphreys
    9 Ruan Pienaar
    1 Callum Black
    2 Rob Herring
    3 Wiebhan Herbst
    4 Dan Tuohy
    5 Franco Van Der Merwe
    6 Iain Henderson
    7 Clive Ross
    8 Nick Williams

16 John Andrew, 17 Andrew Warwick, 18 Bronson Ross, 19 Lewis Stevenson, 20 Robbie Diack, 21 Paul Marshall, 22 Sam Arnold, 23 Rory Scholes

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Team's up for Dragons

Headlines
    Cave to skipper side
    Hendy at 6
    Stanley gets a start at 12
    Scholes and Arnold on the pine

15 Louis Ludik
    14 Craig Gilroy
    13 Darren Cave (capt)
    12 Mike Stanley
    11 Michael Allen
    10 Ian Humphreys
    9 Ruan Pienaar
    1 Callum Black
    2 Rob Herring
    3 Wiebhan Herbst
    4 Dan Tuohy
    5 Franco Van Der Merwe
    6 Iain Henderson
    7 Clive Ross
    8 Nick Williams

16 John Andrew, 17 Andrew Warwick, 18 Bronson Ross, 19 Lewis Stevenson, 20 Robbie Diack, 21 Paul Marshall, 22 Sam Arnold, 23 Rory Scholes

Sam Arnold?! Hes a year underage for the 20s even. They blood them young up north anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Arnold's an absolute beast, would love to see him get a jog out against a senior side.

Tox56 wrote: »
    Sam Arnold?! Hes a year underage for the 20s even. They blood them young up north anyway

He is a unit though.

To be fair we are missing Payne, Olding, Marshall and McCloskey, plus we have an emergency signing in the midifeld in Stanley so I suppose it was inevitable that we'd have to tap into the Academy at some point, although Nelson could have benched with Ludik covering centre instead so that is a sign of faith in Arnold.

Arnold is another young promising centre, right?

I rejoice at the sight of Hendo at 6. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Interestingly, Sam Arnold was a scrum half until the past year.

He looks a really good prospect but, what I cannot get, is that he's someone that Ulster tracked and signed as an exile. Would it not have made more sense for the IRFU to try and steer him elsewhere? Will he really get much of a look in at Ulster given their resources at 12 and 13?

That little "flick" by Marshall has resulted in the Lanelli player missing this weekend's game through concussion.

If Dylan Hartley or Delon Armitage had done any of the things the Ulster lads above did, bar the O'Connor one as I never saw it, I think you'd have a very different opinion of the incidents.

• Advertisement

Arnold is another young promising centre, right?

I rejoice at the sight of Hendo at 6. :)

Yeah good to see Henderson at 6.

Yep Arnold is another from the school of inside centres though as Buer says was developed elsewhere. Looks a good player, but only 18.

Buer wrote: »
    Interestingly, Sam Arnold was a scrum half until the past year.

He looks a really good prospect but, what I cannot get, is that he's someone that Ulster tracked and signed as an exile. Would it not have made more sense for the IRFU to try and steer him elsewhere? Will he really get much of a look in at Ulster given their resources at 12 and 13?

Most of our centres usually end up injured, concussed or suspended so he will probably get his fair share of games!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Most of our centres usually end up injured, concussed or suspended so he will probably get his fair share of games!

I now fully expect Arnold to loaf someone tomorrow and, in doing so, split his eye, give himself concussion and cop a 10 week suspension.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    If Dylan Hartley or Delon Armitage had done any of the things the Ulster lads above did, bar the O'Connor one as I never saw it, I think you'd have a very different opinion of the incidents.

Armitage and Harltey are serial offenders. Not at all comparable.

Armitage and Harltey are serial offenders. Not at all comparable.

That's the point though.

If Hartley or Armitage were running by a player on the ground and stuck out the boot like Marshall did, while looking straight at the player on the ground, people would be saying it's a deliberate kick and calling for a long ban.

Because it's Marshall people are saying it's a ridiculous ban.

The action deserved a ban no matter who did it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement