Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Building callouses and chasing goals

• 05-01-2015 8:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭EmcD123

So i found the title of my previous log outdated an dcouldnt find out how to change the title so i decided what with it being the new year and all i'd just make a new log.

Heres the link to my old one :
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057231855
    so ya again im 18, 60kg, 5ft8
    This year i want to try as many new things in fitness as possible and achieve as much as i can, i have a long list of goals not all of which will be achieved.

400m in 52 seconds
    800m in 2minutes
    5000m in 21 minutes(then 19 if i achieve 21)
    200m in 23 seconds
    Race in an open road race cycling
    Go mountian biking
    Squat my bodyweight
    Learn the oly lifts, and do as well as i can in them

Those are the most achievable

College starts back next week aswell.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭EmcD123

First session of oly lifting in limitless health, absolutely loved it!!

5x5 snatch with empty bar(20kg) ,being taught good technique
    3x3 overhead squats empty bar
    3x3 snatch pulls 40kg
    3x5 back squats 50kg(never done back squats before)

it was a lot of fun, and very hard,i'll be in bits tomorrow
    my hand is also seriously cut open with a blister #htfu

Im in a lot of muscle pain so i did a ton of foam rolling and stretching first to loosen out and recover.
    Then did these 2 excercises real light to work on the techniques i was shown on monday night so as i can practice them before next week.

3x5 hang snatch 15kg
    3x3 snatch pulls 35kg

Had to keep the sets and reps done as my hand blister is still super super painful

Decent session tonight with gch

8x100m sprints as preparation for starting blocks on sunday morning
    Getting faster each session but not anywhere to close to where i should be

Sprint and speed session at the track this morning.

plyometric drills:
    2x A-walk
    2x B-walk
    2x bicycle
    2x alternating leg bicycle/3 step jog
    2x one leg A-walk
    2xsideways one leg A-walk

then sprints
    6x100m sprints 70% pace really relaxed
    1x200m relaxed again to finish

Another GCH session at the track
    Plyometric warmup similar to yesterdays drills
    Microurdle drills: one leg in x4,sideways one leg in x2,dead leg x2 , bunny hop x1
    working on speed and power in all the drills

Sprint speed session then as indoor racing will be on soon.
    4x60m from rolling start
    4x40m from starting blocks
    3x120m working on technique and try to relax while running
    Am building up my speed gradually and am at the point where im finishing the sessions well now

• Advertisement

Weightlifting tonight! so much better a session for me than last week, my form is apparently getting good really quickly.
    My squats in particular were much tidier and less all over the place like last week
    3x3 drop snatch @15kg empty bar
    5x5 drop snatch @20kg empty bar
    5x5 snatch from above knee @20kg empty bar
    5x5 snatch from below knee @20kg empty bar
    5x5 snatch pulls @40kg
    Then 5x5 back squats which went like this
    2x5 @50kg
    2x5@55kg
    1x5 @60kg
    1x3 @65kg I failed the last 2 reps of that set but its a big big improvement

So the weather outside is too crappy to do the planned track session so i went to the gym instead during the public hours.
    Managed to get a rack to myself for the entirety of my session

I only did back squats as i want to really get stronger at them
    2x5 @20kg
    2x5 @30kg
    2x5 @40kg
    2x5 @50kg
    2x5 @55kg
    2x5 @60kg
    Did them all strong ,had no real trouble doing them,shoulders hurt though from supporting the bar
    And bodyweight is now 61kg

Another easy track session,working on speed an dpower and of course stride length as ive always suffered from having a fast stride turnover but a short stride length and tiring quickly because of it
    plyometric drills :
    A-walk
    B-walk
    Bicycle
    One leg A-walk
    Sideways A-walk
    Bicycle/3 step jog alternating leg
    Did that circuit twice
    Then 6x60m stride out working on pushing more with my back leg instead of reaching with the front to increase stride length without reaching

County indoors were on today in Athlone IT so was running in that
    Wanted to see just how bad my race time are right now so as to asess how much work is needed,they were electronically timed i think
    I did the 200m,got into a good heat, and ran a decent race technically and felt really good so it just my actual speed that needs work. Times havent officially been released yet but i think it was around 24.5 which is what i was expecting but isnt a good time at all ,my pb from 2 years ago is 23,5 seconds. i know though that i can easily cut a second off my time quickly just training up some speed and stamina in the next few weeks where ill hopefully get to test it again in the connaughts

Weightlifting again tonight

Did snatch from hip followed by drop snatch
      1 snatch,1 drop snatch x5 sets empty bar(20kg)
    Then snatch pull followed by snatch from below knee
      1 pull,1 snatch x6 sets empty bar(20kg)
    Then power cleans ,first time doing them here, need to work on shoulder and tricep mobility
      2 reps x 5 sets 30kg
    then one of the lads said you could do 40 went off and got 2 5kg plates and proceeded to rain encouragement till i managed it
    so 2 reps by 3 sets of 40kg power cleans
    Then back squats,was determined to get that 65kg squats for 5 reps after failing it last week.
      1x5 20kg
      1x5 30kg
      1x5 40kg
      1x5 50kg
      1x5 60kg
      1x5 65kg
    The 65kg was easy!!! last week i could barely stand up with it and barely managed 3 reps
    Cant wait for next week to see what i can do.

• Advertisement

Had an endoscopy yesterday to check up on my stomach ulcers, apparently the situation is much improved now and i wont need another for maybe 2 years.

So didnt do the track session i had planned for this morning to make sure i was recovered from yesterday but i felt good when i got home form college so i pulled out the barbell and did a quick session
    And it went like this
    • 1x5 hang power cleans 15kg
    • 1x5 hang power cleans 25kg
    • 1x4 hand power cleans 35kg
    • 2x2 hang power clean and power jerk 35kg
    • 1x5 front squats 25kg
    • 1x5 front squats 235kg
    • 2x5 front squats 45kg
    Felt really good and strong, form was as solid as i can get it at this stage.The hang position is great because it negates the fact that the plates i have at home dont put the bar high enough to do the first pull comfortably.
    Proper gym session should be tomorrow afternoon when i pay for public hours in the kingfisher

Was at a party last night and one of the persons house mates had a bench press in his room, and some intercounty ****head challenged me to outbench him because he apparently saw me squat a '****load of weight' in the gym.
    Long story short me being so competitive stupidly accepted it,i nearly crushed myself since ive never benched in my life

Had a fabulous session today in the gym,the session was full of surprises particularly in the squat! SQUATS ARE THE BEST EXCERCISE EVA!!
    I have got a bit of a niggle in my shoulder now so ill ice it tonight and all will be good then.
    right when i arrived the squat racks were full so i did some other stuff first
    so 3x3 pullups
    5x5 dips
    Then a rack freed up
    so Back squats
    • 1x5 20kg
    • 1x5 40kg
    • 1x5 50kg
    • 1x5 55kg
    • 1x5 60kg
    • 1x5 65kg
    • 1x5 67.5kg
    • 1x5 70kg
    • 1x5 72.5kg
    • 1x5 75kg
    Every set from 65kg onwards was a new pb,i felt i had more in the tank after 75kg and might have managed 77.5 but i felt id done enough
    Then power jerks
    • 1x5 20kg
    • 2x3 25kg
    • 1x3 27.5kg
    • 1x3 30kg
    • 1x1 35kg
    The 35kg was a struggle but i did them,copying the form i'd seen the guys at the gym do on monday.Shoulder a little sore afterwards though
    Then snatch pulls
    • 2x5 30kg from hang
    • 2x3 40kg from floor
    • 2x3 50kg
    • 1x3 55kg
    • 1x3 60kg
    the first set was done from hang as the bar wasnt high enough to pull from the floor comfortably but afterwards they were all from the floor.
    Just working on clearing the knees correctly and keeping the line of the bar and really exploding from the hips and getting up onto toes
    Overall a very enjoyable session.but very long aswell

Right a track session today as lectures dont start till 11 on fridays.
    Happy enough with the session,its an endurance one and tbh ive done very little of that so wasnt expecting much but plan to build even just a little bit per session till i work up to doing the full planned session even if it takes a month to get there
    Pyramid session
      300m,200m,150m,120m,150m,200m done with a walk back break:eek:
    As its a pyramid i should have done a second 300m at the end but i could barely do the last 200m but im not too mad about that.My stride felt alright and thats what matters. ill manage the full pyramid next week.The plan is to build up to doing 2 full pyramids of that with a break in the middle

Very light weight practice,just trying to drill the oly lift coordination into my muscles,and i think my technique is improving
    so first a warmup type circuit with the empty barbell(5kg)
    2 circuits of
    • 2 overhead squats
    • 5 sotz press
    • 5 hang snatch pulls
    • 5 hang clean pulls
    • 5 drop snatches
    • 2 snatches
    • 2 hang cleans
    My mobility at the bottom of the snatch is really improving,im happy with that,and sotz press is tough!!!
    Then the session
    • hang power cleans +power jerk
      3,3 x4 @25kg
    • Front squats
      2x10 @25kg
    • Bent over rows
      2x5 @25kg
    Real easy session as im tired and have my oly lifting session tomorrow at limitless and just trying to make sure i have the coordination improved each week

4th week of oly lifting at limitless and what a session it was!!!
    Graduated to adding 2 full size 5kg plates to the snatch!!

So opened up with drop snatches + snatches from the hip Snatch pull + snatch from floor Power clean + Power jerk Quite a lot of volume tonight,did more sets of each thing that was on the plan so as to drive home techniques. Very very very good session, i failed as many snatches as i completed and i managed to smack myself in the chin with the bar on the power jerk not once but TWICE!!!twice on the same set
    Then finished with squats
    few warmup reps then Failed the last rep on 75kg even though i got it last thursday ,pissed off about that. I got stuck in the hole and couldnt get out of it. Still happy overall

And also bodyweight is now 62.5kg ,so that 2.5kg weight gain in the last 4 weeks,supper happy with that:cool:

The body is still in bits after monday nights session, my arms,back and shoulders especially.
    But i have gym tomorrow aswell and i want to do a deadlift session because its been ages since i did deadlifts but i also want to do squats, getting a bit sick of back squats and was thinking of doing some front squats and testing how much weight i can do on them but the only thing holding me back is that i want to keep increasing my back squat but after failing the set last monday on a weight i can do i feel like taking a break.
    Unless i do both and keep the back squats really light or something.
    What do you think i should do ?
    :confused::confused::confused::confused:

So today was a day of sweat and very nearly tears,legs shook weakly,arms twicthed and wobbled,long periods of time struggling to get out of the hole, fingers ached,grip gave out but i made it through with 2 new PR's.
    So did deadlifts today as i was curious as to how much weight i could lift in it after all the back squatting and complete lack of deadlifting. and it went like this
    Deadlifts
    • 1x5 40kg
    • 1x3 50kg
    • 1x2 60kg
    • 1x2 70kg
    • 1x2 80kg
    • 1x2 85kg
    • 1x1 87.5kg
    Failed the last rep of 87.5kg so thats my one rep max. It was the grip that gave out not my strength,couldnt stop the bar slipping out of my hands. still the most ive ever done before was 50kg. Will check my deadlift every month to see if it increases
    Front Squats
    • 2x5 20kg
    • 2x5 40kg
    • 1x5 50kg
    • 1x5 55kg
    • 1x5 60kg
    • 1x5 65kg
    These are really really tough, But i pulled through,the arms were wobbling and the leg were wobbling and there was a few times where i despaired about ever getting out of the hole but i managed it, previous best was 45kg for 5 reps so thats a massive pr. Hopefully these big gains will keep going for a while

Im so unbeliveably tired today, was at a party last night,didnt drink a drop but still shattered, it was a gaelgoir party and after 6 months of not speaking it properly it started off hard but after about a half hour i was as close to fluent as ever. ,most people there irish is their first language and have irish speaking at home,i was told my irish is actually really good for someone who doesnt have irish in the house and doesnt speak it often.:D
    Anyway i couldnt train this morning because i was too tired, i actually fell asleep in the canteen and missed my first lecture i was so tired. :p
    So this afternoon did a gentle running session to just get something in
    The session
    2km brisk walk warmup, few strideouts then
    Followed by 4x120m sprints on grass.Break between each one.
    I have a 21st to go to in cellbridge tomorrow so therell be no training this weekend so i felt i had to do something today
    I'm really feeling the deadlifts in my back today

5th week of oly lifting tonight, am totally wrecked after the weekend,the party was insane!! got around 2 hours sleep on saturday and wasnt expecting a good session at all today but instead it was my best yet.

Workout was:
    Drop snatch + Snatch from hip Was allowed do 35kg today as the 30kg ones felt easy,im getting much faster and stable under the bar and the technique is really coming along, have a lot of stuff to work on though like keeping the bar close and keeping the eyes looking forward and head up
    Snatch pull + Snatch from below knee The same as with the previous excercise. Snatches are definitely my favorite gym lift ever at the moment
    Power clean + Power jerk Definitely getting a lot better at these,need work on the clean part for definite,i seem to be getting the rhythm of the power jerk pretty good at the moment, need to work on driving with the heels though,i keep pushing the bar a bit too far forward
    back squats
    • 1x5 @40kg warmup
    • 1x5 60kg
    • 1x5 70kg
    • 1x5 75kg
    • 1x5 80kg
    The 80kg is a new PR and it didnt feel that hard except for the last rep. Bodyweight is still the same at 62.5kg so im just gaining strength ,still im doing well,getting close to my goal of 90kg for 5 reps

• Advertisement

A friend was going to the gym and had a spare pair of pants so i was just like ya sure and went in.
    Maxed out the leg press at 195 for 10 reps easy enough and then realised it didnt go any heavier....i cant understand why its so easy compared to squats
    Then i met more friends who were in the gym doing arms so i joined them.
    Benched 20kg,then 30kg,then 40kg for 5 reps
    Then a few dips,few pullups neutral grip and overhand.
    Tricep pulldowns at like 21.5kg or something ,just remember them being easy
    Then close grip bench at 30kg for 8 reps
    Folwed by 3 sets of:
    • 10kg powerbag back squats,front squats 8 reps each
    Then 3 sets with 20kg barbell
    • back squats,front squats,military press,bent over row,split squats x10 reps on squats x5reps everything else
    Last circuit piece was for a kind of active recovery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

What's the story with the leg press? Is there any point doing it if you're already doing squats? Was thinking about starting them myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,654 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Aspiring wrote: »
    What's the story with the leg press? Is there any point doing it if you're already doing squats? Was thinking about starting them myself.

Good for hypertrophy. With squats, you're working more than just legs but on leg press, the stability of the set up means you can push more with your legs.

It's not entirely useless but it depends on what you want out of an exercise. There are probably better options.

A friend just wanted to see how much i could push on it considering my squat is pretty good ,I wouldnt really add it to my sessions ,didnt really feel like it was all that beneficial. Im just going to stick to my original goals of getting my squat to 90 for 5 reps

Forgot to log last nights running session.
    Did 3 sets of 6 uphill sprints and 1 set of 6 downhill sprints.
    Only about 60m but steep enough and the pitch dark didnt help.
    Felt really powerful going up,never felt this kind of power before ,i was tearing up the hill big long strides and everything,the oly lifting and strength training must be kicking in.
    I can run uphills all day though and not get tired so it wasnt a particularly strenuous session.
    I think friday is going to be short sprints,coach seems to be constantly switching from longer sprints to short sprints and back,its making it hard to plan

track trianing session last night, wasnt impressed with the coaching program, flogging everyone on the track was all it was, people pulling muscles trying to hard in the cold and throwing up in the bushes,one girl nearly had an ashtma attack.
    We should be doing pure short speed training at this stage
    3x110m sprints flat out,walk back break
    3 minutes break then 4x220m flat out walk back break,

I wasnt feeling good anyway ,my combination of the weekend i had and training on monday has seriously stopped me from training this week ,i havent recovered properly at all. Hit the lactate barrier aswell last night and literally couldnt move my legs with any speed at all,felt like getting sick

Wanted to go for a cycle this morning but it was much too foggy and it would have been unsafe so went to the track instead.
    Did 3x3 jog,stride,sprint
    the jog was 20m,stride was 40m, sprint was 40m
    felt good this morning running, my speed is coming back slowly but surely .
    It'll be a long time before im back at my fastest again due to the years ive been out of racing for but i have a list of fixtures for this year and im determined to at least not run embarassing times this year

Quick cardio type weights session with dad:cool:
    Front squats 3x5 @40kg
    Cleans 6x3 @35kg,45kg
    first 3 reps power clean last 2 reps full clean
    2x5 power jerk @35kg
    Then deadlifts @45kg
    around 5x8 ,more like clean pulls. fast reps for cardio....(is that actually a thing:rolleyes:)
    Dads deadlifts are also getting much better lately

P.s i now have a state of the art(Lidl;)) pullup bar hanging in the doorway of my room

So weightlifting session again tonight.
    very happy with my progress, the bar is following a more coordinated path now, theres a bit of speed developing, getting the pull from the floor a bit easier not bumping the bar off my knees on the way
    So this was a deload session so it was low volume and not pushing for weight, i liked it ,i want to try get a few good sprinting sessions in this week because of that
    So heres the session
    Snatch from floor
    4 sets of 2 reps @35kg
    wasnt too hard,failed a few of them mostly because i wasnt getting the timing right and going under the bar too early when it wasnt in the proper position yet leaving it too far forward, when i miss a snatch i always miss it to the front.
    Coach says my snatch is actually looking pretty good and we'll start tuning it up technically soon
    Front squats
    Was looking forward to doing back squats but alas we had to do front ones,havent done them in about 3 weeks
    4 sets of 2 reps @70kg
    the 70kg is more than ive ever front squatted but it felt comfortable so i wouldnt think its my max
    Jerk from rack
    4 sets of 2 reps @40kg
    Tried 45kg but it was just to heavy to get the form right so dropped to 40kg.
    I did power jerks for these as i cant do the split jerk yet.
    Nothing much to say about them really,they were grand
    Snatch groove ??
    5 sets of 5 reps @35kg
    Not really sure what they were ,nobody seemed to be sure. Did the first 2 sets as snatch pulls, did the last 3 sets as kind of a snatch pull without the pop at the top where you extend your hips.
    Cant wait for next week!

• Advertisement

I thought id add that my weight has now gone up to 64.5kg, was aiming to stop gaining at 65kg and just work on strength from that point on but the lads are telling me to at least push for 70 so i'll do that ,65kg is the heaviest i've ever been though.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Also my favorite pair of pants have gotten really tight in the last week or so ,i think the majority of the weight gain was in my legs...

So hill sprints session tonight at the gch training session
    Did 3x6 hill sprints of around 60m
    Found them easy, powerful going up them,i dont get tired on hills in general
    Then 1x6 downhills, didnt like these because the ground was uneven and i was a bit afraid of hurting my knees since i want to do squats tomorrow

Keeping the theme of the week as Deload i decided to keep the weight light again today in the gym

Did hang power cleans 4x3 @40
    Then Full cleans from floor 4x3 @50kg
    3x3 hang snatches @30kg
    5x3 back squats @70kg
    Session was easy enough, the squats felt heavier than they had any right to be though,the bar constantly felt off balance aswell, its fairly crappy equipment i think

Another track session tonight, definitely getting some speed back into the legs, it was similar to last fridays session but better in that we did more short sprints and less long ones
    2x3 110m sprints at an almost flat out pace,walk back break,5 min break between the 2 sets
    Then 2x220m ,these were just a struggle and i was too wrecked to even bother trying to run with good form
    Still it wasnt a bad session at all

Was at an 18th birthday party in muff,donegal this weekend, savage craic,one of the best parties ive ever been to, 5 hour journey to get to the house from mine though and i slept on an armchair so ya...im wrecked, bring on the weightlifting tonight haha!!! and i have a sore neck

Tonight was MAX night at the weightlifting, my first time trying to max out on the oly lifts. And also the first time id had kevin coaching me since the second week,i think i did good

Did 2 reps per set of snatch until 40kg where i switched to 1 rep sets
    Increased the weight by 2.5kg each time until i reached a max of 45kg
    I missed 47.5kg twice, both time lost it behind me. Felt like i should have gotten it, There was some serious speed under the bar on the second attempt but still ,i failed in the recievin gposition i will get it next time though
    Then clean and jerk, i still havent worked on the split jerk yet so all these were done as push jerks.
    Did sets of 1 rep from 35kg onwards ,adding 5kg until i reached untill 50kg
    after that I added 2.5kg untill i got a max of 55kg.
    I missed 57.5kg twice and didnt have a hope of jerking 57.5 this time, got the clean easy on both attempts.
    Was taught the split jerk tonight but wasnt ready yet to use it in my max lift,will drill the movement at some stage this week

• Advertisement

First time doing the gym rings since the summer ,wasnt exspecting a lot, but i did grand in the end,im actually really weak but still,i want to get back to doing them for the shoulder stabilty and core stability.
    5 support holds with rings turned out for max time
    5x3 ring dips
    5 hanging tucks max time
    3x3 pullups

Sprint session this evening,it was intensely cold out and i have a headache now
    Did 3x60m sprint and 3x200m all pretty fast
    It wasnt too hard and im improving every session

Nice weights session today,main objective was to drill the split jerk under a little weight to prepare for monday night in case jerks are on that night

Power cleans
    2x10 25kg
    2x5 35kg
    2x5 45kg
    Split jerk
    4x3 25kg
    5x3 35kg
    Bent over rows
    2x10 25kg
    2x10 35kg
    1x10 45kg
    1x7 45kg(couldnt finish the 10 reps)
    Overhead squat
    3x5 15kg
    Drop snatches
    3x3 25kg
    Was an interesting session,overhead squats have gotten a lot easier than they were at the start and my rows are improving,need to keep them up as my lats are pretty weak

ah great weightlifting session was had,new pb's in nearly everything
    Front squats
    3x2 80kg
    Felt challenging but i did it grand
    Snatch
    3x1 40kg
    3x1 42.5kg
    3x1 45kg
    1x1 47.5kg PR
    They just kept going up so easy so i kept increasing the weight
    Clean and jerk
    3x1 +2 40kg
    6x1 45kg
    Kept these light just to work on the jerk which im finding tough,i keep sending the bar out in front of me
    Clean
    1x2 50kg
    1x2 55kg
    1x1 60kg PR
    Finished up with these just to make up for keeping the clean and jerks so light

Nice easy track session today while the weather was nice getting some last minute practice in before the connaught indoors on sunday,hopefully ill run a sub 25 200m, thats all im asking for.
    SO 3x20m on all the drills,first one at walking pace and 2nd a little faster ,3rd full pace
    A-walk
    B-walk
    Bicycle/jog 3 steps alternating legs

Squat jumps 2x4jumps
    2x3 60m sprints

• Advertisement

So final prepartion for the connaughts on sunday

4x30m sprints from the blocks,plenty of break between each.
    Need to stop myself from just kind of stepping out of the blocks

So the connaught indoors were on today in athlone,still ran crappy times but they were a good bit better than the counties and i ran them better aswell.
    Did the 60m in 7.75seconds,dont know how good or bad that is as i havent done one in like 4 years.
    Did the 200m in 25.1 seconds which is 0.4 of a second faster than last time,will try get below 25 next time and just keep improving,im nowhere near the level i used to be but im slowly getting there

Well i naively assumed that since the weightlifters had been competing on saturday that todays session would be a light session so id be grand after racing at the weekend and wouldnt be left too tired after this evening,how wrong was i.... there was a lot of volume,and i was exhausted and feeling sluggish,i couldnt lift as heavy as i expected to be able to but all in all i'd say it was a brilliant strength building session and im definitely better off for doing it,i dont think ill go into college tomorrow though,ill be surprised if i can walk.

Hip snatch
    6 sets of 3 @37.5kg
    Tried 40kg but it kept slipping out of my fingers,i probably need to start using chalk when doing triples
    Hang snatch (from above knee)
    6 sets of 3 @37.5kg
    Cleans
    6 sets of 3 @60kg
    last week 60kg was my one rep max on the clean but i was working in with one of the women and when she said she was going to use 60 or 62.5 i was just like okay i'll do 60 too even though i should probably have been doing about 55. I wasn't going to be unloading too much off that bar:o but she was strong!!!:eek: I nearly died on the last set although i'd lost count so theres a good chance i did 7 sets
    Snatch pulls
    6 sets of 5 @55kg
    These were just excruciating,im lifting my hips too early and its turning into more of a deadlift but my back is sore anyway from yesterday as i was getting cramps all day while sprinting.

Also im now 65.5kg in bodyweight, according to the scales directly after that session, so thats the heaviest ive EVER been! Now roll on 70kg,just have to keep doing what im doing

Didnt go running on wednesday night because i'd been up late after the nuig bal na gaeilge on tuesday and was exhausted,hit the gym today though

back squats
    Warmup 1x5 @50kg,60kg,70kg,75kg
    Then 4x5 @80kg wanted to do 5x5 but i knew there was a pretty good chance of only managing a triple on the fifth set and its quite hard to bail a lift in a normal gym and there wasnt a single member of staff around in the kingfisher gym that i could ask to help me out.
    Clean
    3x2 @50kg very simple
    Power cleans
    5x2 @50kg also very simple,was very surprised when i accidentally power cleaned 50 and then decided to finish the session with power ones because i could
    Rack jerks
    4x2 @40kg
    Again very light but not that hard at all,just trying to get more confident and aggressive under the bar

Track session
    4x140m flat out
    2x220m had to leave out the third 220m because i had a pain in my knee probably from squatting yesterday,my abductors and hamstrings are unusually tight today

A nice little session now today,helping my younger brother out with the very beginning of his strength training, a 4kg bar for him haha while he can do more i just dont want the bar to be completely weightless.

I used 15kg for the whole session
    4x10 pushups
    4x10 military press
    4x10 bodyweight leg press
    4x10 squats
    4x10 deadlift from above knee, basically a hang clean pull
    4x3 pullups from a dead hang

Another track session,purely speed this time
    microhurdle speed drills the usual ones
    Then 8x50m sprints from blocks on the bend
    then 1x200m at an easy pace

Went out on the bike for a quick spin as i want to start cycling again now that the weather should be getting better
    But i dont remember it being so terrifying ,i was wobbling and gripping it too hard and anytime i picked up a bit of speed my nerves would be fried.
    Did about 12km,my legs actually feel really strong on it because i did go up some fairly steep hills

And that concludes another week at limitless,im enjoying it soo so much,im basically hooked on oly lifting already.
    Got a loan off the coach of weightlifting shoes just for the session and i wasnt expecting them to make such a huge difference, also tonight was my first time to use the chalk which also made a huge difference

Drop snatch + Hip snatch
    (2+2 x2) x5 @40kg
    missed the last rep though,grip was slippy on these and i hadnt started using the chalk yet which i should have
    still im developing speed under the bar which the hip snatches which is always good,my drop snatches were weak though
    Snatch pull and Snatch from below knee
    1+1x2 x5 @40kg
    Power clean and Power jerk
    1+1x2 x5 @45kg for 2 sets and @50kg for 3 sets
    Squats
    5x5 @80kg
    I managed all the sets at 80 this time and it was awesome,4th set was the hardest and actually the 5th set was simple compared to the 4th one,got a tip about pushing through my hips and that really helped

• Advertisement
Advertisement