Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Detailing Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

That seems like a good enough deal !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Looks the job, I need a new power washer myself.Co-Op in Limerick is selling the Karcher 2.21 for 99 yoyo.Good price?

I think the Karcher I have is 2. something. It's a small enough washer which I have to move to get around the car.

That's why I'm going to get the one in Lidl on Thursday for €120. Bigger construction, 6m hose as opposed to the karcher's 1.5m. Also, the Lidl one has the hose on a reel which makes it very handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,585 ✭✭✭✭vectra

I think the Karcher I have is 2. something. It's a small enough washer which I have to move to get around the car.

That's why I'm going to get the one in Lidl on Thursday for €120. Bigger construction, 6m hose as opposed to the karcher's 1.5m. Also, the Lidl one has the hose on a reel which makes it very handy.
    Had one of those.. The hose on the reel is a pain in the butt.. Good washer though and you get LIdl 3 year warranty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

vectra wrote: »
    Had one of those.. The hose on the reel is a pain in the butt.. Good washer though and you get LIdl 3 year warranty

Oh, I'm so conflicted. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Get a nilfisk and an extension hose for the lance.

• Advertisement

Oh, I'm so conflicted. :p

You were whinging about innuendos and here you are seeing them and pointing them out :D

vectra - whether it's a pain or not, it can't be any worse than what I have to do at the moment - try to get the hose to curl then wrap it around the handle hoping it doesn't all come loose!

Problem I saw with it was the reel was so small the hose rolled up tight, when you pull out the hose it would curl up behind me and each time you try to mave around the car it started slapping off it. = Marks on the paint :eek:

Handed it back and told them it was broken after about 11 months,, Got a full refund and bought a smaller one.

You were whinging about innuendos and here you are seeing them and pointing them out :D

Wasn't on purpose, one of ye was pointing out a part as ingenious and another as a flaw in the design.Seeing as Vectra doesn't clay his car I've lost all respect for his opinion though :D

Wasn't on purpose, one of ye was pointing out a part as ingenious and another as a flaw in the design.Seeing as Vectra doesn't clay his car I've lost all respect for his opinion though :D

When you see my car point out to me where I am wrong :D

re: the Nilfisk - I had one and it gave up the ghost pretty quick. Only lasted about 10 months and couldn't have been used more than 10 times in total. Nice power from it for its size but very flimsy imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Where can I get that Gunk engine degreaser? Tried one or two links online last night but delivering was a problem. Looking at doing a job on my engine bay soon. Or any other suggestions?

Fizman wrote: »
    Where can I get that Gunk engine degreaser? Tried one or two links online last night but delivering was a problem. Looking at doing a job on my engine bay soon. Or any other suggestions?

APC will do the job.

Fizman wrote: »

Local Motor Factor's I usually get it.
    APC will do the job.

APC is good but for bedded in oily/dirt you need Gunk or similar.

He could try the APC first to see how well he gets on though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,105 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Cillit Bang works wonders, Id post a picture of my engine bay but it would probably blind you all :D

And a bit of agitation with an appropriate brush, leave it for a bit the wipe/rinse off.

listermint wrote: »
    Cillit Bang works wonders, Id post a picture of my engine bay but it would probably blind you all :D

/puts on sunglasses and awaits photo :cool:

/puts on sunglasses and awaits photo :cool:

Challenge accepted.

Took this just now. Could do with a WD40 but im ok with it.

IMG_20120314_140715.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

Local Motor Factor's I usually get it.

APC is good but for bedded in oily/dirt you need Gunk or similar.

can get gunk in halfords

i use autoglym engine and machine cleaner. spray loads on. rub in with an old paint brush and rince off!

looking for a good polish to get rid of some swirll marks on the car... cant decide between

http://www.cleancar.ie/gtechniq-p1-nanocomposite-polish.html

or

http://www.cleancar.ie/chemicalguys-p40polish.html

• Advertisement

sean1141 wrote: »
    can get gunk in halfords

i use autoglym engine and machine cleaner. spray loads on. rub in with an old paint brush and rince off!

I would assume so.
    If not try to get Jizer
    looking for a good polish to get rid of some swirll marks on the car... cant decide between

or

I cannot comment on Gtechniq
    I did use P40 > While it is excellent as a cleaning polish prior to waxing/sealing, You would have your work cut out to remove swirls. I do think a DA is the only way

@listermint - that's lovely!

I don't like M3 owners though...

i have a da

i have a da

Ah,
    I would be anxious to try the Gtechniq stuff.
    I did use "Fixer" and Megs MF pads I got from Brian @ spiritdetailing.. It did some job on the Toledo..

@listermint - that's lovely!

I don't like M3 owners though...

That is okay, We are all p****s anyway :D

or

Should check out this thread

http://www.bmw-driver.net/forum/showthread.php?p=428517#post428517

Seen it this morning, impressive results for scratch filling. Even the hand polishing alone made a sizeable impact.

That is okay, We are all p****s anyway :D

The reason I don't like them is because I would love an M3 and I get slightly jealous :o

The reason I don't like them is because I would love an M3 and I get slightly jealous :o

Id give you mine, but as stated im a serious P***k :D

No mines gonna be heirloomed :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Awaits kudos :) Aerospace 303 + elbow grease.

IMG_5581.jpg

• Advertisement

Awaits kudos :) Aerospace 303 + elbow grease.

[IMG]http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i210/Nayeli Shaggy Summer/IMG_5581.jpg[/IMG]

Now there is a man to hate

:D

Should check out this thread

http://www.bmw-driver.net/forum/showthread.php?p=428517#post428517

Seen it this morning, impressive results for scratch filling. Even the hand polishing alone made a sizeable impact.

have some of that glosworks but it hasnt filled the scratches. they are still visiable. i would rather cut them out than fill them! now saying that i havent used it with the dual action, just by hand

have some of that glosworks but it hasnt filled the scratches. they are still visiable. i would rather cut them out than fill them! now saying that i havent used it with the dual action, just by hand

Give it a go with the DA before buying something else.

Personally Ive had good experience with Menzerna Polishes and Pads that i got in cleancar. Depends on the swirls need to go heavy pad and heavy cut if they are bad.

But as with anything no one can guarantee 100% swirl free.

As an aside, did you remove any previous sealants (waxes etc) from the surface prior to doing hand polish ?

Give it a go with the DA before buying something else.

Personally Ive had good experience with Menzerna Polishes and Pads that i got in cleancar. Depends on the swirls need to go heavy pad and heavy cut if they are bad.

But as with anything no one can guarantee 100% swirl free.
    ya i used menzerna polishs too. not bad but i found them hard to work. the marks on the car are not bad its more me being fussy!
    As an aside, did you remove any previous sealants (waxes etc) from the surface prior to doing hand polish ?

ya i washed the car with fairy liquid. i didnt clay it but i plan to this time

ya i used menzerna polishs too. not bad but i found them hard to work. the marks on the car are not bad its more me being fussy!

ya i washed the car with fairy liquid. i didnt clay it but i plan to this time

Definitely clay it you'll see noticeable difference. Are you x2 / x3 stage polishing? Hows the paint is it hard paint? how as the weather when you were working. The menzerna;s to me didnt appear too hard to work with at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Fiona

If you want it that bad you will achieve it. Set a goal for yourself and plan for it. And also say a little prayer to lady luck!
    Now there is a man to hate
    :D

Urgh got it in one! Will you do mine please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Ive never used a clay bar on my car, normally id use the cleanser, polish then wax. Am I really missing out by not claying?

Ive never used a clay bar on my car, normally id use the cleanser, polish then wax. Am I really missing out by not claying?

Not really. Are you using a D/A with the cleanser? If not then you're not getting the full benefit of the cleanser.

Cleanser (with D/A) and claybar are almost the same thing to a certain extent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Not really. Are you using a D/A with the cleanser? If not then you're not getting the full benefit of the cleanser.

Cleanser (with D/A) and claybar are almost the same thing to a certain extent.

No Im not using a d/a (had to go check out what d/a meant :o) id be doing it using some elbow grease would it make that much of a differance?

Definitely clay it you'll see noticeable difference. Are you x2 / x3 stage polishing? Hows the paint is it hard paint? how as the weather when you were working. The menzerna;s to me didnt appear too hard to work with at all.

ya i have used clay before. just hadnt the time/weather the last time i gave it a good going over.

what do you mean by x2/x3 stage polishing? im guessing you mean an aggressive cut followed by a lighter cut followed by a finishing polish.. if so i have done that about this time last year..

car is a 05 seat leon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

If working by hand, you are better using an all in one cleaner sealant (chemical cleaners), rather than a cutting polish (abrasive). With an AIO, you just work it into the paint. You do not have abrasives to break down, so they are gentler on paint and require less elbow grease to apply. They will not remove scratches or swirls, but will deep clean the paint even better than regular polishes do. If you clay beforehand, all the better.

ya i have used clay before. just hadnt the time/weather the last time i gave it a good going over.

what do you mean by x2/x3 stage polishing? im guessing you mean an aggressive cut followed by a lighter cut followed by a finishing polish.. if so i have done that about this time last year..

car is a 05 seat leon

That Seat paint is a Bugger to cut with a DA.. I spent almost 50 hours cutting the Toledo.. In fairness it was bad to start with.. No way near as good as your paint Sean.. It does look 500% better now.

mrs crilly wrote: »
    If you want it that bad you will achieve it. Set a goal for yourself and plan for it. And also say a little prayer to lady luck

The only thing putting me off is €1566 per year to tax. Not a hope i can afford that right now. My tax renewal is coming up in May and it'll be €925 and I can barely handle that!
    No Im not using a d/a (had to go check out what d/a meant :o) id be doing it using some elbow grease would it make that much of a differance?

You can't move your hand fast enough in order to break down the chemicals on paint cleaners. That's why you need a D/A.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

That Seat paint is a Bugger to cut with a DA.. I spent almost 50 hours cutting the Toledo.. In fairness it was bad to start with.. No way near as good as your paint Sean.. It does look 500% better now.

Very true, didn't see much cut with a dual action on mine. Upgraded to a rotary and have not looked back. Time saved is well worth the outlay.
    I bought a beginner rotary, dodo spindoctor as I'm only using it for personal use. Very happy with it so far.

woohoo

karcher.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TURRICAN

hey guys need some help here.
    i have a sealey rotary machine and want to get rid of swirlmarks.
    i have an autoglym s160 pad and 03b fine abrasive.
    can i use that to get the marks out and then polish it with deep shine wax.
    cheers.

Neilw wrote: »
    Very true, didn't see much cut with a dual action on mine. Upgraded to a rotary and have not looked back. Time saved is well worth the outlay.
    I bought a beginner rotary, dodo spindoctor as I'm only using it for personal use. Very happy with it so far.

Have thought about getting a rotary as well for initial cuts, and finish off with the DA

• Registered Users Posts: 6 imolazed

Have thought about getting a rotary as well for initial cuts, and finish off with the DA

Definitely hang onto to your DA if you get the Rotary, much easier to finish with and safer on plastic parts.

With regards a rotary, you have to be more cautious as they can easily burn through paint.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 imolazed

or

The P1 is slightly harder work as it's water-based and therefore not as well lubricated. I find you have to work smaller areas and you'll get more dust.

P40 is oily and stays wet long enough to be throughly worked by hand.

Both have superb cutting power. As an example we've tested P40 against Autoglym Paint Renovator (which is supposed to be very abrasive). Correction was much greater on the P40 side of the panel.

I think I read you're using a machine so I'd probably go for the P1 and keep the speed slightly lower than normal.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement