Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The vegged up 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

So much yummy stuff here! :)

--LOS--, can you tell us more about the making of your awesome Reese's Cups?

To make about 20, 400g dark choc + 3 big spoons of coconut oil, melt it together using double boiler method (half now, half later for the top) For the peanut butter blend.....peanut butter + powdered sugar (depends how much sugar you want, maybe 2:1) + spoon coconut oil. Fill bun cases with thin layer of choc, peanut butter in middle, let set in fridge/freezer, then put the top layer of melted choc on and back in to set! I've seen a few different recipes online so if you prefer without sugar you can check those.

The other day..... burger, soy beans, kale crisps

3KIryvP.jpg

Yesterday....

Miso soup

xUxLfG1.jpg

Japanese Potato?! kale crisps, peas, soybeans, breaded tempeh.

vhsPnNG.jpg

Made some donuts last night too, from the Nom Yourself cookbook, one small choc, one small jam, slathered the big one in jam after too :o I had donuts for breakfast as well :P

fwX50K9.jpg

Sorry if anyone was feeling hungry :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Feu

everything looks amazing!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

PUlSx8c.jpg

Coconut mushroom gravy from Nom Yourself cookbook, with stir fried cashews, red onions, white onions, broccoli, chickpeas, carrot and couscous.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭chinacup

PUlSx8c.jpg

Coconut mushroom gravy from Nom Yourself cookbook, with stir fried cashews, red onions, white onions, broccoli, chickpeas, carrot and couscous.

That looks too good

Sounds nice too, mushrooms and coconut ^_^

I had a go at "tempeh bacon"

TmPPVKE.jpg

For the bbq sauce:

2 Tbsp agave syrup
    1 Tbsp olive oil
    1 tsp smoked paprika
    1 tsp soy sauce
    1/2 tsp cumin
    1/2 tsp black pepper
    a dash of cayenne

a bit of sesame oil is nice as well if you have that.

Cut the tempeh into slices and boil for about 10mins to take the undesirable taste off it that it sometimes has. You can boil it in some veg stock either.
    Drain it, let it cool, coat the slices of tempeh in bbq sauce and let it sit for 30mins. Bake wrapped up in some tin foil in the oven for 15mins, uncover it and bake it for another 10mins.

And now you can make a tempeh "BLT" or "TLT" :D

W4sGthD.jpg

lol accidental 10,000th post

my sister said why does it look like you're about to throw it out the window! I was trying to catch some light for the photo :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭sok2005

Tomatoes were getting soft so I chopped them in the dicer with basil, hard white cheese, balsamic vinegar, evoo, salt n pepper. Left to sit for 2/3 hours and scooped it onto some cut toasted loaf. Such a nice treat.

IMG_20140707_202711_zps1lhqxbpt.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

I didn't take a minute to take a photo of my dinner tonight, but felt it worthy to tell you all about it! Brown rice, quorn grills done in the oven. Stir fried mushrooms, bell peppers, scallions and sweetcorn. Mixed it all in a big bowl, tiny bit of sweet chilli sauce.
    I inhaled it, then thought, dammit, should have taken a photo of that. Next time!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Tell me about it.

I made a mole for the first time to make some enchiladas and they were gone in a shameful amount of time.

I used this recipe but replaced the cheese in the enchiladas with mixed beans.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Made some delicious soup! carrots, onion, garlic, basil, cauliflower, broccoli, kale, chickpeas, potatoes

4MrzL1M.jpg

These are tasty treats for vegetarian kids. Puffed Quinoa, oats, peanut butter, pretzels, sultanas, choc drops and anything else you'd like really.

IMG_20140628_092311_zpsew15rmv4.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

They look awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭DonnieScribbles

sok2005 wrote: »
    These are tasty treats for vegetarian kids. Puffed Quinoa, oats, peanut butter, pretzels, sultanas, choc drops and anything else you'd like really.

Any chance of the recipe? They look amazing.

Thanks lads, kids went crazy for them, sneaky iron and protein sources.

I combined 4 different recipes I found online.
    Here's what I used and how I did it.

1/2 cup unsalted butter
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    1/2 cup organic honey
    1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
    2 teaspoon vanilla extract
    3 cups quick oats
    1 cup Puffed Organic Quinoa
    1 cup crispy rice cereal
    1 cup chopped pretzels
    1 cup sultanas
    1/2 cup mini chocolate chips

Put butter, sugar, peanut butter, vanilla and honey
    in pan, let it boil, then cook it for a further 3-4 mins.

Mix dry ingredients in a bowl (oats,quinoa,rice cereal,
    pretzels, sultanas).

Pour liquid on dry mix, stir and flatten into grease proofed
    papered dish. Sprinkle with choc chips. Refrigerate
    for about 2 hours then cut into bars. Done.

Finished my vegan lemon dota 2 cookies for later today (they are in the shape of the logo):

1zaKS5Y.jpg

8jDcgNt.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

now that has made me starving :D mmmmmm

any chance of the recipe please, the kids like the look of them too :D

Oldtree wrote: »
    any chance of the recipe please, the kids like the look of them too :D

Cookies: 1.5 cups castor sugar (or icing sugar)
    1 cup sunflower butter, left it out to get soft.
    2.5 cups plain flour
    I added in soymilk slowly after the flour stirring it up until you get a wettish dough.
    Some lemon juice and rind grated.
    2 tablespoons cornstarch
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon cream of tartar
    You basically mix it all together, gave it a bit of a kneading in some flour and put it in the fridge for a few hours. Otherwise it's too sticky.
    While that settles I made the icing:
    Make as much as you want, you just mix icing sugar, red food colouring and soya milk. I used milk instead of water.
    Iced them up and cooked for 20 mins.

Leave to dry, my dough was hard in the end so i need work on it.

Thank you. What is the oven temp 200 degrees?

Had it at 190! Bit disappointed with my first batch due to adding extra flour to dough, good luck!

I'll get the kids to help and then blame it on them ;)

• Advertisement

Split pea salad (thought they were lentils when I was buying them :P) and curried breaded cauliflower bites

QEyC571.jpg

Tonight I am making a "hodgepodge" and the kids love it, so do I. The recipe is a secret :D

Oldtree wrote: »
    Tonight I am making a "hodgepodge" and the kids love it, so do I. The recipe is a secret :D

Ah yes I'm familiar with hodgepodge :P

Made donut dough last night so I could have fresh donuts for brekkie

r8cYFOi.jpg

Most of the sugar in these is in the jam on top, I convince myself anyway. If you wanted a healthier alternative, bake the dough in the oven and tada you have scones.

One of those days where you just put everything you own in the oven....

roast potatoes and veg, garlic mushroom kiev and curried breaded cauliflower. Some leftover accidental mushy peas as well, I was boiling split peas and forgot about them, but you can't get mushy peas here so win for me!

Tastes better than it looks maybe

8n7RAfP.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

That breaded cauliflower looks awesome, what exactly do you do to it?

Kids insisted on a hodgepodge last night (again:D) which they got.

So as the oh was working late I made a nice light supper for her. I want out to the polytunnel in the dark with a torch and picked 2 types of cherry tomatoes, courgette and cucumber, picked some basil too. On the way back I pulled a few onions, peas and parsley. Chopped it all up along with a few (bought) mushrooms. To which I added a small pinch of pepper and onion salt and a squirt of lemon juice and mixed. Bit of olive oil into the pan and reduced till ready. Havn't started to dig our own spuds yet, so did (bought) roast potatoes along with freshly grated cheese.

Went down very quick and the kids helped with the spare roast potatoes too.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Lou.m

VmtkxAz.jpg?1

Couscous with chilli flakes and spices sundried tomatoes and salad. Not the biggest fan of couscous but I tried.

I am not a great cook or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Lou.m

Govindas, bit of everything but rice for me!

I love rice!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Mrrrrrow

I don't have a photo of it (and it would look quite ugly if I'd taken one!) but I made a curried pumpkin and lentil soup last night and enjoyed the leftovers for dinner tonight. Here's the recipe, if anyone is interested. I didn't follow the recipe perfectly and added waaaaaaaaaaay more of all the seasonings.

Curried Pumpkin Lentil Soup

1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil
    1 small onion, chopped
    1 small apple, chopped
    48 ounces vegetable broth
    2 (15 ounce) cans pure pumpkin
    2 teaspoons mild curry powder (can add more to taste)
    1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
    1 1/2 cups dried red lentils
    1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
    1 tablespoon honey (or agave or maple syrup)

• Advertisement

Lou.m wrote: »
    I love rice!

I changed my mind, I love their brown rice, it is delicious!

Advertisement