Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Still rocking the Alpha M1957.

kJ1Jz3.jpg

Has taken me a few days to get the NATO adjusted just right for both comfort and security.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Added this to the collection, wanted one for a long time, and it fits in well as a chrono with black dial. Going to get a brown leather strap for it and deployant.

Full box and papers, two previous owners from this forum. 896bet is a total gentleman, and honestly gave me a deal that would make your eyes water, a man of his word. I am also a bit in love with his aquanaught, its not till you hold one you realise what they are about.

Speedmaster pro a nice size, had a reduced racing speedmaster that was too small for me, this is a lot more hefty. Bad point are its hard to wind on the wrist, legibility is very good. The box is flipping ridiculous. Bracelet has a weird push pin and screw arrangement that is a bit tricky. Condition is 9.5/10. I will get my watches out and photography them when I am in town next

20200218-230322.jpg
    20200218-230427.jpg
    20200218-230431.jpg
    20200219-085558.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Gorgeous watch there FG and by God do Omega give good package. I'd be afraid to wear it. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

Added this to the collection, wanted one for a long time, and it fits in well as a chrono with black dial. Going to get a brown leather strap for it and deployant.

Full box and papers, two previous owners from this forum. 896bet is a total gentleman, and honestly gave me a deal that would make your eyes water, a man of his word. I am also a bit in love with his aquanaught, its not till you hold one you realise what they are about.

Speedmaster pro a nice size, had a reduced racing speedmaster that was too small for me, this is a lot more hefty. Bad point are its hard to wind on the wrist, legibility is very good. The box is flipping ridiculous. Bracelet has a weird push pin and screw arrangement that is a bit tricky. Condition is 9.5/10. I will get my watches out and photography them when I am in town next

Forgive my ignorance but what else is in the box with the watch. It's stunning by the way

Forgive my ignorance but what else is in the box with the watch. It's stunning by the way

Couple of Natos a big one for your space suit which is really big. (I do a lot of space travel so this should come in handy) A loupe, a bracelet pin tool, cards and manual, printed booklet with pictures of spacemen, a big silver embossed coin thing. Its a nice display box...but honestly you cannot display it, it goes in the attic and wont even fit in my safety deposit box which is a quarter the size of the box to start with. You should see some of the limited edition boxes...you could solve the housing crisis with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

My Bulova Accutron arrived yesterday morning after I left for work. The hum is quite something.

IMG-20200219-092047.jpg

Definitely need to pick up a new strap for it though. I'm not liking the cream colored leather. I might go all out for the 70's vibe and get an expanding metal strap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

OK, old family watch, I've had this in a box on a shelf for about 30 years. The crown is broken off but every time I pick it up it just starts working. No markings on the back. 37mm wide. There's a nice Swiss made metal strap with it. I have no idea how old it is. I don't even know where to start on getting the crown replaced.

IMG-20200219-095347.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

The Speedmaster was the watch for me that made me decide to spend some coin on a decent watch.

Its a truly stunning watch, utterly beautiful in every way that appeals to me. Its versatile too, looks great with the steel bracelet or on a NATO/leather strap.

I adore mine and will pass it on to my son when my time comes.

An absolute classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

Back from Germany and look whats in my post :D

Thanks to Jurgen from these part for shipping as promised. Its my second one of these, lets hope this one stays around a bit longer :p

503272.jpeg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

OK, old family watch, I've had this in a box on a shelf for about 30 years. The crown is broken off but every time I pick it up it just starts working. No markings on the back. 37mm wide. There's a nice Swiss made metal strap with it. I have no idea how old it is. I don't even know where to start on getting the crown replaced.
    I'd reckon 1960's. A replacement crown should be an easy fix for any watchmaker as part of a service. You could source an original one on ebay handily enough to keep it as original. The dial looks to have been "cleaned", IE refinished at some point. You'd expect to see Swiss Made on the bottom part of the dial and the Longines script looks like an earlier version. Before old watches became "vintage" and values went up, sending your watch off to have the dial cleaned was a common practice. Nice watch to have though.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,474 ✭✭✭✭banie01

oxocube wrote: »

mThanks to Jurgen from these part for shipping as promised. Its My second one of these, lets hope this one stays around a bit longer :p

I don't know quite why but the urge for a Steinhart GMT has being growing on me lately.
    This or the ceramic coke...

My wife is gonna kill me!
    Unless I can finish year 1 on a 3.5+ GPA and get her to buy it for me :P

Funnily though, very few of the images of 1960s watches I've looked at on Google have Swiss made on them, and the script matches. Any recommendations for servicing an old watch in Dublin?

Actually, what I'm noticing now is that a longines watch of that era with short hour markers have Swiss under the 6 marker, but if the marker goes to the edge the Swiss is not there.

Doh! Looked at it with a loupe, Swiss made is underneath the 6 marker on the downturn of the face.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

oxocube wrote: »

Thanks to Jurgen from these part for shipping as promised. Its my second one of these, lets hope this one stays around a bit longer :p
    SNIP

Well wear.

If they bring out a white version I'd be all over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

Nice Alpha M1957

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭893bet

]

Looking at your pictures makes me want one again. It just looks better on screen to me and in the box that it did on my wrist.

Deep thought gave me the deal first. Happy to leave it on the forum. I am not really bothered about turning a few 100 profit on a watch. Prefer a straight forward sale with no risk to a bit of profit and hardship shipping it.
    Any time you can sell a watch for the same as what you have bought for is a good transaction!

Also your Daytona looks 5 time better in person that in images!

893bet wrote: »
    Looking at your pictures makes me want one again. It just looks better on screen to me and in the box that it did on my wrist.

Deep thought gave me the deal first. Happy to leave it on the forum. I am not really bothered about turning a few 100 profit on a watch. Prefer a straight forward sale with no risk to a bit of profit and hardship shipping it.
    Any time you can sell a watch for the same as what you have bought for is a good transaction!

Also your Daytona looks 5 time better in person that in images!

To be honest I regret meeting you, I have been looking at aquanauts all morning and I really cannot afford one......watch buys happiness now with a tinge of sadness. The Daytona and the Patek are the same you dont appreciate the quality till you have it in hand. My datejust look muck in photos and its gorgeous in person. Many a watch I flipped took a good photo but in hand was a disappointment. I think a lot of it is to do with proportions.

If I ever sell the Speedmaster I will try keep it on the forum.

The Daytona and the Patek are the same you dont appreciate the quality till you have it in hand. My datejust look muck in photos and its gorgeous in person. Many a watch I flipped took a good photo but in hand was a disappointment. I think a lot of it is to do with proportions.
    +1. I found Submariners to be OK in the hand, but Daytonas look so much better and I'm not even a fan and prefer the Sub by quite a mark.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Very very nice B. Looks the absolute spit of the Heuer. Which was a Leonidas design(they bought the company to get it), copied from a standard for pilots watches going back to WW2.

Would love to see a side by side someday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭pm.

After selling almost all of my collection I went and bought this... I'm absolutely delighted with it

503291.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

Wibbs wrote: »
    +1. I found Submariners to be OK in the hand, but Daytonas look so much better and I'm not even a fan and prefer the Sub by quite a mark.

Tried on a two tone Daytona and they wear very well. I'm used to 42mm watches so found it the perfect size and balance for my wrist. I'm not a fan of two tone watches, but I really like the proportions of the Daytona.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

]

Open the back and you'll get the serial number and what calibre it is.

Look up the calibre here, http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&&2uswk

If the stem is broken you'll get the part number on the left hand side, usually starts with 'W'.

EDIT, Some of these open through the front. Maybe post another pic of the back and we can let you know if it's easy to open or not

Longines historical dept https://www.longines.com/certificate-of-authenticity

is worth a look with the serial number, it should tell you when the watch left the factory and what country it was first sold in. If the watch is older than 1970 ish you can look up the serial number yourself to see what year it is. Records after 1970 ish are a different system.

I'm no expert by any means, but there's lots of info out there, you just need to know where to look.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Fantastic info right there blue, thanks.

This is the back, I think it's snap on. Can't open it though.

IMG-20200219-165840.jpg

pm. wrote: »
    After selling almost all of my collection I went and bought this... I'm absolutely delighted with it

SNIP

That's my holy grail watch right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

It’s great to see watches staying on the forum and even better to see members getting great deals on great watches Long May it continue

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Looks like a front loader SMM, a syringe sealed with blu tac might work

https://mb.nawcc.org/threads/how-do-i-open-this-longines-case.94533/?p=711980&viewfull=1

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

My new UV torch and HKEd Bund got acquainted with night mode on my phone today :)

The soft blue lume on the digits is quite striking IMO.

503313.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

banie01 wrote: »
    My new UV torch and HKEd Bund got acquainted with night mode on my phone today :)

The soft blue lume on the digits is quite striking IMO.

Ah stop... you are making me want more and more

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

hitemfrank wrote: »
    My Bulova Accutron arrived yesterday morning after I left for work. The hum is quite something.

Definitely need to pick up a new strap for it though. I'm not liking the cream colored leather. I might go all out for the 70's vibe and get an expanding metal strap.

Lovely looking example all the same. What year is it, date code should start with an M or N. M9 is mine, 1969.

What's the daily error, mine is slow by 15 to 20 seconds a day.

The strap width on mine is 11/16" ,which is 18mm ish. If you find a decent strap will you let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

UV torch is some job:)
    503315.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

njburke wrote: »
    Lovely looking example all the same. What year is it, date code should start with an M or N. M9 is mine, 1969.

What's the daily error, mine is slow by 15 to 20 seconds a day.

The strap width on mine is 11/16" ,which is 18mm ish. If you find a decent strap will you let me know.

Mine is an N1, so 1971.

It's running pretty fast - probably picked up 6 minutes since about 7:30 this morning. I think it might need a service to fix.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement