Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunnes Stores strike *** See Mod warning ***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

As is your right.

Won't be passing any picket myself, never have never would. Takes a certain type of human being to pass a picket.

Little veiled dig there.

It takes a certain type of person to deliberately sabotage their employers business.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I'm very confused about the whole passing the picket thing.

Surely the idea of strike action is a suspension of trade, to affect Dunne's management and make them take notice of the economic effect imposed onto them from unhappy or dissatisfied workers?

"Passing the Picket" implies to me that there are Dunnes Stores open today which will accept your trade but surely the Union would have insisted all stores be closed and workers be given the choice to strike or to stay at home?

Or is it workers not in the union who will staff stores while those in the union will picket outside? I think the stores should be closed if staff are striking...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

hdowney wrote: »
    Think zero hours contracts are disgraceful.

Correct me if Im wrong, but Dunnes management dont come to peoples homes and force them at gunpoint to come and work for Dunnes on zero hour contracts do they?

People actually voluntarily apply and accept such positions?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

As is your right.

Won't be passing any picket myself, never have never would. Takes a certain type of human being to pass a picket.

People have a right to make there own discision s personally couldn't give a toss been honest .

Why would anybody stay 10+ years in a job where there is no guarantee of hours just doesn't make sense can't the last few years jobs are harder to get but it hasn't always been like that .

Wonder if cie went on Strike for a month wound people tell their employers I won't be in work for a month because I'm supporting the cie workers .

Gatling wrote: »
    Why would anybody stay 10+ years in a job where there is no guarantee of hours just doesn't make sense can't the last few years jobs are harder to get but it hasn't always been like that .

If someone has been in a job 10+ years then they have had time to train, upskill, educate themselves and find a better job.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Uncle Ben wrote: »
    Despite all the hype that exists on social media regarding union/non union issues in my experience I think a majority of Irish people actually do respect pickets.

I'm hoping people respect the Dunnes workers right to protest poor conditions whether they support labour Unions or not.

I was just down by Dunnes in Liffey Vally, no one passed that I could see.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Wonder if cie went on Strike for a month wound people tell their employers I won't be in work for a month because I'm supporting the cie workers .

You realise this has happened before?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    You realise this has happened before?

CIE have gone on strike before and people have used alternative methods to get to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ankaragucu

How can Enda Kenny claim to support Dunnes striking workers when he presides over a country that allows the conditions to exist that has resulted in this very strike?
    Or are zero hours contracts an EU dictat?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

I'm very confused about the whole passing the picket thing.

Surely the idea of strike action is a suspension of trade, to affect Dunne's management and make them take notice of the economic effect imposed onto them from unhappy or dissatisfied workers?

"Passing the Picket" implies to me that there are Dunnes Stores open today which will accept your trade but surely the Union would have insisted all stores be closed and workers be given the choice to strike or to stay at home?

Or is it workers not in the union who will staff stores while those in the union will picket outside? I think the stores should be closed if staff are striking...

A mixture of workers not in the union and if necessary they bring in workers just for the day.
    MrWalsh wrote: »
    Correct me if Im wrong, but Dunnes management dont come to peoples homes and force them at gunpoint to come and work for Dunnes on zero hour contracts do they?

I wouldn't say 'voluntarily' necessarily. If your local Dunnes has jobs on offer - zero hours contract but still 'jobs' on offer, and you are on the dole and don't go for it the dole can cut your money. So lose lose there

• Advertisement

I wouldn't say 'voluntarily' necessarily. If your local Dunnes has jobs on offer - zero hours contract but still 'jobs' on offer, and you are on the dole and don't go for it the dole can cut your money. So lose lose there

How is it lose lose?

Take the job and continue to look for a new job - a job is still better than the dole right? Continue to upskill, train and educate yourself so that you have better choices in life than the dole or a zero hour contract in Dunnes?

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭mister gullible

The more that poor and exploitative practices are tolerated, the more widespread they will become.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

If the strike has the desired affect, does it mean 100 workers on low hours (say 10 hours per week) will be replaced by 25 workers on 40 hours? Resulting in 75 people out of a job?
    Genuine question.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

A mixture of workers not in the union and if necessary they bring in workers just for the day.

Dole only gets cut if it's proven you aren't genuinely looking for work or refuse to engage with them.

Do people on zero hours contract get social welfare top ups ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

She is. She was cremated though - hence no grave to turn in.

Sorry to bring it up. I was just confused by your post. My sincere condolences.

The more that poor and exploitative practices are tolerated, the more widespread they will become.

I dont see anything exploitative about someone accepting a job that they do in exchange for money. People are free to go and look for another job if they dont like the job they are in.

Just as well these contracts aren't practised in the Dail. Imagine telling a bunch of politicians that they aren't needed today and that they can go home. No-one would notice but that's beside the point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

CIE have gone on strike before and people have used alternative methods to get to work.

Similarly, people will shop in places other than Dunnes today.

galljga1 wrote: »
    Similarly, people will shop in places other than Dunnes today.

Exactly. And some will shop in Dunnes or buy online from Dunnes. People are free to do whatever they want.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 582 ✭✭✭sleepyheadh

Is it just me that would feel literally nothing as I "passed the Picket"?

How else will I buy my easter eggs?

• Advertisement

I dont see anything exploitative about someone accepting a job that they do in exchange for money. People are free to go and look for another job if they dont like the job they are in.

So any job with any working conditions is ok as long as someone is prepared to take it for the money..

You have no problem with people arriving for work and being told to go home without pay as it is not busy? Is it also ok to be called into work at a moments notice as it is busy. The first is unacceptable to me. The second, not so much but depends on a person's circumstances and the regularity of this activity occurring.

galljga1 wrote: »
    You have no problem with people arriving for work and being told to go home without pay as it is not busy? Is it also ok to be called into work at a moments notice as it is busy. The first is unacceptable to me. The second, not so much but depends on a person's circumstances and the regularity of this activity occurring.

Course I have a problem with it. A problem that would cause me to leave and get another job.

Jobs are contracts where a person agrees to work and get money in exchange for that. If you dont like where you work then you are free to leave. This is not a third world country where you and your family will starve if you leave a job.

Is it just me that would feel literally nothing as I "passed the Picket"?

How else will I buy my easter eggs?

Good offers in Adli and Tesco who also have similar employee conditions to Dunnes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

If the strike has the desired affect, does it mean 100 workers on low hours (say 10 hours per week) will be replaced by 25 workers on 40 hours? Resulting in 75 people out of a job?
    Genuine question.

probably something that could end up happening.

Do people on zero hours contract get social welfare top ups ??

no, in general Dunnes spread the hours over the 5 days so their employee's won't qualify for top ups, at the same time these hours are not enough for them to claim FIS.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Dr_Bill

I worked as a student in a pub, I was never given a contract, I had no guarantee of my shift hours as the work was considered part time. I just got on with it and earned a bit of cash to pay for my studies.

I would pass the picket, the workers on strike have the right to strike, I have the right to buy the food I eat where I choose.

I passed the picket as a student when some of the lecturers were out on strike, most were not on strike. I still had classes to go to. I had paid for those classes through my not so inconsiderable fees so, damn right I was not going to miss out.

They should go through the labour relations court and sort it out there.

Zero hour contracts are fine when they are not abused.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Dr_Bill wrote: »
    They should go through the labour relations court and sort it out there.

Mandate has said that the retailer has refused to negotiate with them and are unwilling to attend the Labour Court.
    Zero hour contracts are fine when they are not abused.

What do you define as abuse?

Mandate has said that the retailer has refused to negotiate with them and are unwilling to attend the Labour Court.

What do you define as abuse?

I too await the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭✭noodler

The jobs should either be part-time or full-time.

Stringing people supposedly on full-time contracts along from week to week is not on imo.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Retail is not a long term career choice anymore, and the changing hours and modes of store operation don't make it so.

On principle I don't pass pickets, but I'm sorely tempted to given that my local Dunnes has some of the laziest, slow and unpleasant women I've ever seen on the checkouts.

Advertisement