Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭stanflt

new shoes
    pcq1.jpg

taking care of the docks
    ukhs.jpg
    wrio.jpg

good results 3 days later
    3qrg.jpg

cows happy

t014.jpg

maize looking good
    vr7e.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭towzer2010

I'm using mostly maternal bulls this year to breed my own replacements. So I was counting my chickens when the first of the autumn calvers had a heifer calf to the Limosin bull GWO today. Hes very high on maternal.

Small calf easily born
    269932.JPG

Followed shortly after by her younger brother
    269933.JPG

So there goes that plan of keeping her as a replacement:rolleyes:

But its the first set of twins I've had since so I'm still happy.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

The cow's maintained her condition well considering she's had twins. Looks a nice quiet type.

just do it wrote: »
    The cow's maintained her condition well considering she's had twins. Looks a nice quiet type.

She's a Sim and they are mostly quiet anyway but shes very quiet alright. She has loads of milk and has a calving interval of 355 days and that was why I want replacements from her. I thought her temperament, milk and size combined with the lim would produce the ideal heifer. I posted her calf last year as well
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=81405309&postcount=2863

and this is that calf now not yet a year old. She will be bulled in December hopefully.
    269934.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

towzer2010 wrote: »
    I'm using mostly maternal bulls this year to breed my own replacements. So I was counting my chickens when the first of the autumn calvers had a heifer calf to the Limosin bull GWO today. Hes very high on maternal.

Small calf easily born
    269932.JPG

Followed shortly after by her younger brother
    269933.JPG

So there goes that plan of keeping her as a replacement:rolleyes:

But its the first set of twins I've had since so I'm still happy.:D

Nice set pair of calves there towzer .
    Pity about the heifer not going to be a breeder , but its not a bad situation your finding yourself in all the same ;) ..

Was going to get some of those GWO straws but opted for TVR limo instead .
    Up since 5 with a 2nd calver carrying DBZ BB .
    Head and feet showing now so making progress .

When are your kilmoney br calves due ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

Richk2012 wrote: »
    Nice set pair of calves there towzer .
    Pity about the heifer not going to be a breeder , but its not a bad situation your finding yourself in all the same ;) ..

Was going to get some of those GWO straws but opted for TVR limo instead .
    Up since 5 with a 2nd calver carrying DBZ BB .
    Head and feet showing now so making progress .

well dbz is was easy yes as long it was not blue mammy because he could be big big hips.

leg wax wrote: »
    well dbz is was easy yes as long it was not blue mammy because he could be big big hips.

No she is a PB limo legs , but not an over big one to be honest ..
    Calved away herself anyways , an average heifer calf .
    Il throw up a pic when i get a chance

No she is a PB limo legs , but not an over big one to be honest ..
    Calved away herself anyways , an average heifer calf .
    Il throw up a pic when i get a chance
    the same as i had ,i also had no mass on her bull calf until he was in the mart,only took notice of him then ,and even more notice when i came out of the sellers box.:D

I'm not sure if you meant me but I've none for kilmoney Bruce.

I've two due to BZB in the next fortnight though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

johnpawl wrote: »
    Serious animals fair play. Have they eaten much ration atall??? Have a few aaxbrfr cows in calf to ba kilmoney Bruce, what would you think of them as breeding heifers?
    I must try a few Simmental straws

No nuts given at grass to them calves.

The BA x AA may well make decent cows, only one way to know, stick a few straws in them and see how it goes!
    Oddly enough we have one AA x BA cow and she's not a good breeder, she's for the off this year.
    Are ya happy with the K Bruce heifers?

Pic 1 - ground after power harrowing. On the right you can see alot more thatch. This is the headland that was too rough to be mowed so was only topped prior to harrowing. It's come out well enough. I'd meant to top it during the summer as well but just never got to it :rolleyes:
    tgz9.jpg

Pic 2 - ground after being rolled and a good few passes between seed, 10-10-20 and gran lime. After this it was rolled and got ~1,350 gal/ac. Now wait and watch it grow and grow and grow :D
    xn1u.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Fine job, Just Do It. I got the impression from your posts that all your land was very wet. That soil looks to be very dry.

I'm not sure if you meant me but I've none for kilmoney Bruce.

I've two due to BZB in the next fortnight though

Sorry getting mixed up . Was half asleep looking at the thread this morning ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭valtra2

some jan,feb bulls due to be weaned end of month

the same as i had ,i also had no mass on her bull calf until he was in the mart,only took notice of him then ,and even more notice when i came out of the sellers box.:D

Hopefully I'll be saying the same to you next year ...
    Are you going to NewRoss with all your weaners or you using carnew as well ??

Was going to bring a few of the better ones to carnew show & sale hoping that a few exporters are there . Yes /No???

• Advertisement

Hopefully I'll be saying the same to you next year ...
    Are you going to NewRoss with all your weaners or you using carnew as well ??

Was going to bring a few of the better ones to carnew show & sale hoping that a few exporters are there . Yes /No???
    sold weanlings for the first time in new ross 2 weeks ago,always go to carnew or tullow,you would prezume that they will be in carnew for that sale,must meet up at it.

pakalasa wrote: »
    Fine job, Just Do It. I got the impression from your posts that all your land was very wet. That soil looks to be very dry.

That's a good dry field alright, if only all the rest of the place was like it ;). It's easy farm that land, it's the rest of the place that requires good management.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Conor556

Found this fella in a old water through,,, anone see 1 of them before?

menupop.gif

Conor556 wrote: »

menupop.gif

It's a smooth newt. Lovely little chaps.
    Also called Man Keepers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭red bull

think we call them lizzards, will mayo bate dublin hope so

• Advertisement

red bull wrote: »
    think we call them lizzards, will mayo bate dublin hope so

They're amphibian, lizards are reptiles.
    No, the Dubs will win, :-)
    I'd love to see Mayo lift Sam.

Thanks for the info on lizards. I hope its Mayo'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' at last

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Dampintheattic

Bizzum wrote: »
    They're amphibian, lizards are reptiles.
    No, the Dubs will win, :-)
    I'd love to see Mayo lift Sam.

Stick a handful of them lizards in the Dubs underware on the day of the match!
    That should send Sam to the west -;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Hope the neighbours win, the lads coming down to the mart will be a bunch of miserable feckers otherwise lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭munkus

Conor556 wrote: »

menupop.gif

more importantly, I think its time for a new jacket, Conor!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

Hope the neighbours win, the lads coming down to the mart will be a bunch of miserable feckers otherwise lol.

yea bout time they had a bit of luck, hope they win it too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Drained ground fertilized, gran limed, seeded, slurried and rolled. Going to have a weed problem I suspect so will have to spray it in a few weeks.

DSC_0045_zpsd8110049.jpg

Ampertaine Commander Bull. Had a call from a guy who had looked him up on the Limousin website and is interested in buying him. Don't really know what i will do with him yet. Possibly feed him till January and then sell him - he will be 20 months and pretty strong at that stage.

DSC_0042_zps5f0f9f97.jpg

DSC_0035_zpsf6244766.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

what way did you till it rellig?

Looking good Rellig

Because it's peaty land did you use a special seed mix? I was looking at my REPS plan recently and noticed it allows for a much lower pH on bog land - 5.5 I think. Something I've been meaning to look into, although that particular reseed is for 2 years time. Did you soil test before hand?

It had been dug with the track machine and levelled back out. We just ran over it with the land leveller.

We used a normal seed mix from Connacht gold which is mixed for this area (ie. late heading stuff). No soil test for this exactly, but it was tested 2 years ago and was fine so I think the gran lime will have done the job just grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

I see you slurried and used gran lime, I asked here about using thin slurry on reseed was advised against using slurry, mine was stitched in to burned off pasture

dharn wrote: »
    I see you slurried and used gran lime, I asked here about using thin slurry on reseed was advised against using slurry, mine was stitched in to burned off pasture

I think slurry can attract frit fly:(

Thanks, I thought it was more related to reactionbetween the granlime and the slurry

dharn wrote: »
    Thanks, I thought it was more related to reactionbetween the granlime and the slurry

No reaction with slurry and gran lime. It's ordinary lime and slurry which reacts and
    You lose the nitrogen.

Thanks relig::)

sold weanlings for the first time in new ross 2 weeks ago,always go to carnew or tullow,you would prezume that they will be in carnew for that sale,must meet up at it.

Ya we will do ..

Go on the beer then with all the money the exporters are going to give us :pac::pac::pac::pac:

This particular bunch of girls were introduced to the pasture pump for the first time yesterday morning. It took them more than 24 hours to figure it out. This morning they were roaring looking for water. This particular cow is a pet and she saw me pumping the pump and came over nudging it. They all had it figured out this evening - even the calves (3 -4 months old).

DSC_0046_zps366c74f3.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Houston we have a problem

reilig wrote: »
    This particular bunch of girls were introduced to the pasture pump for the first time yesterday morning. It took them more than 24 hours to figure it out. This morning they were roaring looking for water. This particular cow is a pet and she saw me pumping the pump and came over nudging it. They all had it figured out this evening - even the calves (3 -4 months old).]

And some people think cattle are stupid:D

I was thinking about getting one of those. How far away is the water source and what depth?

• Advertisement

And some people think cattle are stupid:D

I was thinking about getting one of those. How far away is the water source and what depth?

It's coming from the drain just behind the fence which is about 2 meters deep - through about 10 meters of piping. The pump will bring water for 200 meters and up to 8 meters in elevation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

Ampertaine Commander Bull. Had a call from a guy who had looked him up on the Limousin website and is interested in buying him. Don't really know what i will do with him yet. Possibly feed him till January and then sell him - he will be 20 months and pretty strong at that stage.
    did you Ch bull come right, was this the chap you were thinking of running with the cows? nice looking bull

did you Ch bull come right, was this the chap you were thinking of running with the cows? nice looking bull

Ch Bull is going to mart on saturday. He has 2 bad feet - one front and back. He's in good shape now and feet appear good so it's time to let him go. Pity, because we never had as good of calves off any bull. The guy above ran with 15 cows for 6 weeks and it didn't knock a spark out of him. No repeats so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

5 minutes to fill the sprayer, patent pending :D

photo_zps7857b647.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Is it rushes u at there redz? What u using MCPA?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

photo_zps7857b647.jpg

That there would be a jarmet,

How long did it take to fill the tanks:D

• Advertisement

photo_zps7857b647.jpg

A 90degree bend would make it even faster imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

A 90degree bend would make it even faster imo

That would probably double the cost of reds patent pending pipe, and add in a whole lot of extra fabrication, he's spot on the money with the current design, straight to market is my vote!

Timmaay wrote: »
    That would probably double the cost of reds patent pending pipe, and add in a whole lot of extra fabrication, he's spot on the money with the current design, straight to market is my vote!

Its a 4" wavin pipe see what happens if you turn on the water full from ibc, not much of it will go into sprayer:D

Its a 4" wavin pipe see what happens if you turn on the water full from ibc, not much of it will go into sprayer:D

I will have you know it all went in the sprayer with the valve fully opened :D d50 I was using muckit, wasnt doing it for myself!

hugo29 wrote: »
    That there would be a jarmet,

How long did it take to fill the tanks:D

The most of a day :rolleyes: a jarmet is right!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement