Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Ya looks good, best of luck being a da:pac:

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

This is an old family relic. It's a membership card for the Land League. It was my Great Grand Uncle's, as far as I know.
    Anyone know how rare these are?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

pakalasa wrote: »
    A closer view;
    thats cool,do you want to pawn it or sell it[pawnstars]:D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

A closer view;

Very nice piece of memorabilia there. Have you a special box, cabinet or frame for it? It merits it.

Sorry about this. Trying to figure out how to use Photobucket.
    Land League Membership Card;

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Bigbird1

defadman wrote: »
    here's a picture of the dam nothing too special in my opinion but decent all the same.eh well she wasn't to bad, the cow was tight enough though.the springer set us back 2,320 back in sptember,people thought it was crazy!

Was dat in elphin by any chance, big red heifer first 1 into da ring,eh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Karen112 wrote: »
    This cow calved in early March, her AI doc shows she is due in two weeks, now I don't think that's correct, although the AI tech has confirmed it is according to his books:confused: She is a PB LM & incalf to a BA, she has had 5 heifers in a row so maybe just carrying light. Anyone thing we're a month off or will she be on time? Cause I'm baffled!

(She is tender on the back right leg from a kick a couple years ago, hence the way she stands)
    img00192201201051348.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Mystery solved:D Huge 'yalla' bull.....typical when I wanted a heifer!

The wonders of calving, this cow had five heifers in a row, her full sister had four bulls. Both calved there yesterday and the other one had a heifer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

One of the friends 3 month old purebred lim bull calf. He is by tanko out of a rocky dam and gamin grandam.

photo-28.jpg

photo-27.jpg

photo-26.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Redzer yer not a midget by any chance? just looking how low you held camera first pic:D

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭defadman

Bigbird1 wrote: »
    Was dat in elphin by any chance, big red heifer first 1 into da ring,eh

just the one! how did ya know?

One of the friends 3 month old purebred lim bull calf. He is by tanko out of a rocky dam and gamin grandam.

He's a 'smasher' alright ;) Other lad is a nice calf too, but in second division!

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Bigbird1

just the one! how did ya know?

I was there that night, i know the man that sold them, and i just rem that price been paid,good to hear she worked out well, big money for a springer, his others were good but more lim blood, da 1 you bought wit da white socks made her more attractable for people, was this why you went for her?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭adne

here's a picture of the dam nothing too special in my opinion but decent all the same.eh well she wasn't to bad, the cow was tight enough though.the springer set us back 2,320 back in sptember,people thought it was crazy!

hhmm nothing too special in your opinion but yet you were willing to pay 2,320 - must be a contradiction there somewhere :confused::confused:
    Wonder what you would pay for a springer that is special in your opinion :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,353 ✭✭✭naughto

thats a lot of money but as they say if the breedings there u will get your money back

Muckit wrote: »

He's a 'smasher' alright ;) Other lad is a nice calf too, but in second division!
    Ya, other bull calf is a culard by ai bull tonga. They are two fine calfs when your standing beside them!!

• Advertisement

Bigbird1 wrote: »
    I was there that night, i know the man that sold them, and i just rem that price been paid,good to hear she worked out well, big money for a springer, his others were good but more lim blood, da 1 you bought wit da white socks made her more attractable for people, was this why you went for her?

just thought she was the best all round cow to be honest!!

adne wrote: »
    hhmm nothing too special in your opinion but yet you were willing to pay 2,320 - must be a contradiction there somewhere :confused::confused:
    Wonder what you would pay for a springer that is special in your opinion :rolleyes::rolleyes:

well if she's what i call special then 3000-5000...thats whats i would call special!! the market has changed alot

View2-10003520.jpeg

I see IW are putting a flap now on the front of their new trailers. Took them a while! :)

photo-31.jpg

Grand to be back to this time of year again.

So ye do have good land back in the Burren...:D

• Advertisement

So ye do have good land back in the Burren...:D
    Ah we have a few corners hidden away here and there ;)

This is the lug that was taken out the side door yesterday afternoon. He's roughly 26/27 hours old here.sdc14008f.jpg

sdc14005m.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

This is the lug that was taken out the side door yesterday afternoon. He's roughly 26/27 hours old here.sdc14008f.jpg

sdc14005m.jpg

he is a fair old lump for a day old alright ;)

he is a fair old lump for a day old alright ;)

The auld lad overfeeds the cattle, so no wonder. He gives the same amount as always despite being lower in stock:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

The auld lad overfeeds the cattle, so no wonder. He gives the same amount as always despite being lower in stock:rolleyes:

i had a 2nd calver that had a big chap like that last week, nearly failed myself and neighbour to jack him, literally the jack was on it last few notches andboth of us could just about move it, calf was born at 11 in after noon, was very nearly dead when we got him out, bagged him. neither himself or the cow were able to get up till 4 that evening..she got a fair old dragging but seems fine again

i had a 2nd calver that had a big chap like that last week, nearly failed myself and neighbour to jack him, literally the jack was on it last few notches andboth of us could just about move it, calf was born at 11 in after noon, was very nearly dead when we got him out, bagged him. neither himself or the cow were able to get up till 4 that evening..she got a fair old dragging but seems fine again

Poor cow here had a lot of flesh cut, the scare is about 5 inches longer than the other heifer. Different vet though so that may be it. Just off now to give her a shot of painkiller. Her jaw has a spasm so i think she could do with it.
    Otherwise they're both healthy her, seen her chewing a bit of silage earlier so coming round. This cow had a twisted calfbed as well, she was sick looking at 3am and still hadn't calved by 9. But wasn't in distress or anything and no water bag. That's when the worry started, we let her onto the slats to feed and she lay right down, despite this, no sign of stress so we left her another bit. Vet was then rang as it was very unusual & vet had two calvings before us so it was two or so before he got to us. Untwisted the bed but still no chance of a natural birth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭limo_100

heres a panda heifer calf that knows how to stay warm

scaled.php?server=855&filename=img00022201203031501.jpg&res=medium

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Are those winter rows or have ya the spuds in?

Otherwise they're both healthy here, seen her chewing a bit of silage earlier so coming round.

Always a good sign if the grub is going in one end and out the other!

Bizzum wrote: »
    Always a good sign if the grub is going in one end and out the other!

Still not coming out the other so we're still watching....:(

• Advertisement

Still not coming out the other so we're still watching....:(

A bit soon yet.

We had two Sections in the last few months. The first heifer, not for a second ever looked like she was in any hassle at all, and went out within a week. She came bulling a month later!
    The second heifer looked in trouble throughout the process and it was nick or nothing that we didn't lose her. She struggled to feed, to dung and was very low for at least 3 weeks post op. She has since turned the corner and is in great form now.
    They really can take a bit of minding!

A bit soon yet.

We had two Sections in the last few months. The first heifer, not for a second ever looked like she was in any hassle at all, and went out within a week. She came bulling a month later!
    The second heifer looked in trouble throughout the process and it was nick or nothing that we didn't lose her. She struggled to feed, to dung and was very low for at least 3 weeks post op. She has since turned the corner and is in great form now.
    They really can take a bit of minding!

Aye, she's picking up anyway at least. A real pet, had to push her out of the way to get a photo of the calf, even then she swung her head over me to get a lovely photo of her jaw! We've had four c/s in 18 years, two of them were this year.....:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭stanflt

cows grazing last week

042zf.jpg

Are those winter rows or have ya the spuds in?
    No just made them the other day, hope to get queens in within the next week if the weather picks up a bit, snowing here this morning :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

limo_100 wrote: »
    heres a panda heifer calf that knows how to stay warm

Fabulous photo limo :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10 teddd

lovely calf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭limo_100

thanks lads and lassies thats only my first photo id say it will be downhill from here on :) And who was that person that said limousine cattle were wild?? i think he was having us on :D

limo_100 wrote: »
    And who was that person that said limousine cattle were wild?? i think he was having us on :D

I think he was spot on..................They were wild. I think it's testament to the work done by the Lim soc/breeders that things are certainly improving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Need to give the sheep hay this year as well as ration so I knocked up a hay rack this morning in the rain. 8' x 4' sheet of 2" x 2" weld mesh folded. Cut four lengths of fence rail to tie together the top of the V. The tin wasn't as wide as I remembered, but it just does the job :o No great planning went into it. I put a length of fence rail over one side of the tin and screwed it down through the tin and into the top V timbers, nice and snug and going nowhere. Cut a hole in the mesh at either end of the bottom of the V, leaving the outside 2" square intact, I drove two 5 foot stakes and can slide the rack down over the stakes, so I can drive two more stakes somewhere else and move it. One screw through each end timber on top of the V down into the top of the stakes. Two bits of rope over the top, feed bags to stop them getting cut. Add a bale of hay and Bobs yer uncle. I need to put some mesh on each end though, was so wet by that point this morning (took photo in evening) that I had had enough. Does the job though, will keep the hay drier and stop waste trampling.

P1040277.jpg

And yep, I do intend on nuking those rushes and knocking those furze (in September after nesting).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

5 heifer weanlings i kept over the winter... cant wait for a couple of dry weeks and i can let them off to grass out of the way:D

Bodacious wrote: »
    5 heifer weanlings i kept over the winter... cant wait for a couple of dry weeks and i can let them off to grass out of the way:D
    Loving the barrier :D

I think I put up a pic of this heifer before last summer when she was sucking. She's out of our own lim bull and a Charolais cross shorthorn cow. This is the type of heifer that I thought would cross nicely with a blonde, not muscly behind but a good frame
    photo-32.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Bodacious wrote: »
    Loving the barrier :D

Cheers Red

Homemade jobby, few stakes, 15ft ESB pole at bottom, 16ft rafter ... All knocked together in 2 hours max with 6inch nails and the chainsaw!! really strong... I might leave it in it

alternative was another ring feeder divided in 2 but would still have to secure them to wall with stakes, 16ft for 5 weanlings is acres of space but they get along famously anyway :)

That'll do Pig..........That'll do! :D

That'll do Pig..........That'll do! :D

Great photo Bizzum.
    Only problem is you need to buy me a laptop as I just got tea all over mine.

• Advertisement

That's a good one alright bizzum :D

Only problem is you need to buy me a laptop as I just got tea all over mine.

The cheque is in the post;)

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Finno59

Heres a beefy Montbeliarde cow with Mo x Fr heifer in background.
    http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/7982/20120310132317.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

img3763gu.jpg
    Red white head twin bullocks arrived during the week. Named Eddie and Buzz, after the neighbour said ''By god they'll be hardy bucks'' :D

img3734o.jpg
    They managed to build it fair straight the first day :)

13spanner wrote: »
    Red white head twin bullocks arrived during the week.

Jaysus that's some cow. Would save on the castration fees!:p

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement