Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards Evil200km - 9th of June

• 22-05-2012 10:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭

Few guys from the raid gang are (hopefully) going to do our own 200kms spin on the weekend w200 is on. The route is quite brutal taking more or less every lump around wicklow: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1278238

Meet at 7:45am, start at 8am sharp under the Dundrum bridge (Opposite Joe Daly's shop for anyone that doesnt know). The pace would be civilised but we can't overly wait for everyone as this is going to take us lots of hours, the route is really evil. Have pumps, tubes and whatever else you need to get through the day. The plan is to stop around the 100km mark for lunch in Laragh and then do another 100kms.

You have to be fairly fit to get over the whole route. Good thing is that because it loops around Wicklow you have many exit points all around the way if you feel you had enough.

So who's up for it?
    Evil_200.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, that's pretty epic. Someone took the Orwell route and decided to slot Slieve Mann and the Wicklow Gap in there. For the craic.

Thankfully I'll be doing the WW200 the next day.

Looks like it could be a good contender for the hardest 200 in the country. Might be worth running on a yearly basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

ME ME ME ME ME!!
    Thankfully ill be doing the wicklow 200 aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,898 ✭✭✭pprendeville

don't know if I'd have enough in me for 200k but it sounds like fun and the possibility of exiting is a bonus. I think I might just head along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

NASTY :eek:

I would be up for a Boards Crawl Spin around that route sometime over the summer. Just not the day before the W200. :D

Gasco has a similar route that ends on Kilmashogue. Will see if I can dig it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

This looks epic! I'd be up for attempting this some time during the summer! June 9th is too soon for me unfortunately, just back on the bike properly now after a month of resting my knee!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

funny-gifs-nope.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,135 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

AstraMonti wrote: »
    The route is quite brutal taking more or less every lump around wicklow: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1201424

"Elevation: +4321m"

I don't know how accurate that is, but I've heard that 4000m in a day represents a sort of transition from normal-hard to crazy-hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭Plastik

I'd have considered it, but the Roundwood GP is on that Saturday.

*you should turn left at 55.8km, turn right in Ashford, and climb back up to the junction at 59.4km for a few extra m climbing!

one of the raid days has over 4500 metres iirc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Lumen wrote: »
    "Elevation: +4321m"

I don't know how accurate that is, but I've heard that 4000m in a day represents a sort of transition from normal-hard to crazy-hard.

So I ll take it you are coming along?

• Advertisement

So I ll take it you are coming along?

Maybe. I'd be bringing a compact, that's for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I am of the view that this route is so tough, that if I were to do it that I would risk finding the Raid underwhelming or too easy.

For that reason alone, I won't do this one ;-)

Lenny, if you do this and the WW200 back to back I will donate €50 to a charity of your choosing. Just some incentive.

@rok on, guess Ill have to do it now!! :)
    Sure Ill give it a go.

Oh come on ROK ON! I was betting that you ll be along on the sufferfest! Come along anyway, you can get ouf it when you feel like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Astra.
    I would do it, but I won't be in Dublin that w/e, and am unlikely to be in Dublin any w/e before the Raid other than this one coming up.

So if you want to do it this Saturday, well I have my good bike here at the minute and nothing in the diary.

You do know Mick Byrne 200 is this Sunday right? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

AstraMonti wrote:
    Few guys from the raid gang are (hopefully) going to do our own 200kms spin on the weekend w200 is on. The route is quite brutal taking more or less every lump around wicklow: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1201424

You are quite quite mad. I salute you!

Nice route though, as well as being mad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Might do this instead of the WW200, it looks more epic, and comes without manky pasta!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Do ye mean to do it the day before, or the day of?

I can't do the w200 itself, so if it was another day I might do this...

The day before, sat 9th june.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭bbolger

Savage route, literally!

You should start a pool on the highest Strava suffer score :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭g0g

Wow that looks like toughest challenge ever! Would love to give it a go but would probably die a death early enough, but as you say I assume people could tag along for the first few hills anyways and then bail out? Don't suppose anyone's gonna go mark the turns in advance!? :D Some great hills in there I've never been over including that one at 138/139km and am I right in saying you come uphill to the junction at the bottom of the wall? Never been there. What sort of pace would you guys be doing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭g0g

I'm normally good with gadgets but have to ask a blonde question. If I wanted to try this later in year with "fitter legs" would I be able to download that route to an Edge 500 and would it relatively accurately navigate me with arrows? Never used that feature on it but I'm guessing it'd be needed for this!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

i wll probably tag along for at least a 100km anyway cant commit to 200km on saturday but maybe il be able to on day. Might get a lighter gear for the rear

btw theirs at least 215km on that route for as it doesnt end were it started.

@ gog - i would imagine that you should be able to save it as a map thingy, but im not sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Nice route.
    Can't do it myself but I am looking forward to reading reports.
    I see this type of event becoming more and more sought after due to the flood of crowd friendly sportives out there. Might be interested in similar around Sept time.
    Fair play for putting this together and good luck with it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Count me in, sure its only 200km :p

Riding this the weekend before for practice: http://www.climbbybike.com/climb.asp?col=Rosedale-Chimney-Bank&qryMountainID=8699

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I'll be up for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Keep_Her_Lit

"Boards Evil200km" Heh! Heh! That's a great name for your sportive!

I'd love to jump in for that but I've a family celebration to attend on the 9th. So it'll be an evil hangover for me instead.

Best of luck with the Inaugural Evil! I'll be looking forward to the post mortem event reports too - sorry to have missed out on the suffering but glad to read about other people's. :D

• Advertisement

Just want to clarify that this is not an official spin of any sort, I just created this route on my own and everyone is on their own to survive it, no broomwagon, no mechanic and no organized food stop, we ll just eat everything in the hippy cafe. Also you won't get any medals at the end, you ll get a kudos though in Strava :D

Again everyone with good fitness is welcome to come along.

g0g you can put the course into your garmin no problem at all and it will guide you turn by turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

Just want to clarify that this is not an official spin of any sort, I just created this route on my own and everyone is on their own to survive it, no broomwagon, no mechanic and no organized food stop, we ll just eat everything in the hippy cafe. Also you won't get any medals at the end, you ll get a kudos though in Strava :D

Again everyone with good fitness is welcome to come along.

g0g you can put the course into your garmin no problem at all and it will guide you turn by turn.

is that not on the garmin 800 rather than the 500

Both can do it, 800 is just more visual.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAEM26w0bgg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

no broomwagon, no mechanic and no organized food stop, we ll just eat everything in the hippy cafe.

No Support, no crappy sandwiches, no cold pasta...

What will people whinge and bitch about? Apart from the hills obviously.

I'm VERY tempted to skip the W200 and do this instead

I might make it along to this madness too, though for the first half only most likely. Mind you the challenge of getting myself out the door that early on a Saturday morning might prove beyond me, whatever about the ride itself.

Now with a logo thanks to daragh_!

Evil_200.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Medium. Short sleeve. Full zip.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,753 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Would certainly pose a different challenge than the W200. How many do you reckon will be going? The W200 ends up being mostly small groups anyway.

What is the plan for waiting? Obviously you can't be waiting around for ever but maybe 5 minutes (or whatever) for the lead riders at some predetermined points. If you miss them, well you're on your own. Not many, maybe each 75k or something. Maybe the Laragh stop covers this, just an idea. I assume anybody brave/stupid enough to take this on is well capable of looking after themselves anyway

Can't say whether I can make it yet, group of us had planned on W200 so will need to check but this certainly sounds interesting

Leroy42 wrote: »
    What is the plan for waiting?

This event is well into audax territory as I understand it. Audaxers don't wait for each other, mostly because standing at the side of the road is a waste of time.

If you get dropped you're on your own. If you want backup, call yer mammy. That would be my suggestion, anyway.

Despite this groups will tend to form and unform.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,753 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

This event is well into audax territory as I understand it. Audaxers don't wait for each other, mostly because standing at the side of the road is a waste of time.

If you get dropped you're on your own. If you want backup, call yer mammy. That would be my suggestion, anyway.

Despite this groups will tend to form and unform.

What good will that do, she is even worse on the uphills than I am!!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Maybe it's just you have a slightly better bike ;)

505281188492267.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I am tentatively willing to offer a backup service of sorts if it's thought to be necessary. Though without spending the day wandering around the wicklow hills, I'm not sure how much use I can be. And since you can bail whenever you want, a broomwagon seems a bit silly.

I also have no means of storing large quantites of tea & coffee nor procuring large amounts of biscuits.
    Plus the route is pretty well laid out such that you could take two well deserved tea breaks in Laragh.

Never underestimate the power of the Irish Mammy. Out with her trusty iron (with frayed flex lovingly and carelessly made "safe" with twine and sellotape by the Irish Daddy), a damp cloth, some mutterings about the folly of the current generation, and she'll have ironed those hills flat as a pancake in no time.

What are the numbers for this so far. I hope the weather is as good as it is at the moment. Will never forget last years WW200. Worst weather ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭fat bloke

If you get dropped you're on your own.

This is appropriately in keeping with the "evil" moniker.

Echo pp's weather hopes. Thoughts of last year still make me want to assume the foetal position, which is ironically similar to the Shay Elliot 34:25 in the 4 degree pis$ing rain position

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

Why does all the fun stuff have to happen after I move out of Dublin?

fat bloke wrote: »
    This is appropriately in keeping with the "evil" moniker.

Echo pp's weather hopes. Thoughts of last year still make me want to assume the foetal position, which is ironically similar to the Shay Elliot 34:25 in the 4 degree pis$ing rain position

I cuda done a pp on the bike that day and no one would have been any the wiser it was that bad. Going down the Shay Elliot and rain burning my eyes if I didn't have glasses on, if I did I couldn't see. Had em half on half off eventually I remember.

What sort of pace are you intending going at? or will we make a couple of groups aiming for a diff avg? I'd really like to do this, but I don't fancy it without some company to share the misery with!

im aiming for about 20 kph. slow, but steady.

lennymc wrote: »
    im aiming for about 20 kph. slow, but steady.

I did the wicklow 200 at 23kph last year and am in better shape now, so that's definitely a pace I could run with.

i did the mick byrne today at 22 something, but im planning on doing both the evil and the wicklow, so will really be taking it handy. I hope :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement