Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Due January 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

I can't wait to feel some movement but I'm guessing as an FTM it will be closer to 20 wks?

Sammy, if it doesn't ease up a bit this week I'm thinking of saying to my GP, cause I am getting worried about my hydration levels.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

I can't wait to feel some movement but I'm guessing as an FTM it will be closer to 20 wks?

Sammy, if it doesn't ease up a bit this week I'm thinking of saying to my GP, cause I am getting worried about my hydration levels.....

Keep drinkin loads of fluids....I'm actuallyjust after being sick myself....have days where I'm perfect and then some where I'm not so good....

Yea I was around 20 weeks b4 I noticed anything the last time...did u do any more shopping little miss cutie?

Sammy2012 wrote: »
    Keep drinkin loads of fluids....I'm actuallyjust after being sick myself....have days where I'm perfect and then some where I'm not so good....

Yea I was around 20 weeks b4 I noticed anything the last time...did u do any more shopping little miss cutie?

No shopping for baby, just a few maternity bits for me. I haven't announced in work yet and was struggling with hiding it some days. The maternity bits are far more flattering.

I have in my head decided on a pram, car seat & base and co-sleeper but it's so far away God knows what we will buy.

We need to change a few things in the house starting with the shower door so me and the bump can fit in. The joys of an old house, nothing is normal sized, double size shower with weird door that only opens 12 inches!!

What about you any shopping?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭pooch90

Hope everyone is doing well. I haven't posted in a while.
    Just had 16 week check up with GP today and had scan at start of July. All going as it should apparently.
    Still pretty symptom free thankfully. I feel for you that have been so sick.
    Bump coming along and I'm generally feeling tubby! Also have noticed that I have new black hairs sprouting on my face, not my favourite side effect!!!

Have bought a few bits of baby clothes, couldn't help myself but not even thinking about the big stuff yet but we are getting buggy's and things thrown at us from all angles, very hard to refuse, is it silly that I'd love to chose our own Moses basket, travel system etc? I know financially it makes sense to beg,borrow,steal but I'd feel like we were missing out by not researching and buying our own.

pooch90 wrote: »
    Hope everyone is doing well. I haven't posted in a while.
    Just had 16 week check up with GP today and had scan at start of July. All going as it should apparently.
    Still pretty symptom free thankfully. I feel for you that have been so sick.
    Bump coming along and I'm generally feeling tubby! Also have noticed that I have new black hairs sprouting on my face, not my favourite side effect!!!.

Hey Pooch!!
    Great to hear that all is going well :)
    I can't imagine being pregnant and not sick, at 15&1 I am still firmly in the sick camp :)

Yeah why does no one warn about the hair growth??? I'm very fair naturally and am finding dark hair popping up all over the place!!

We haven't bought a single thing for baby. We are both very nervous so at this rate baby will be here before we buy anything. The offers of baby stuff are great but you need to know what you don't want. We are going to buy the travel system new but most other things we would gladly accept. I have already been gifted a cot and nursing chair from a friend who is finished having babies :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

I am still firmly in the dick camp :)

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭contrary_mary

Have bought a few bits of baby clothes, couldn't help myself but not even thinking about the big stuff yet but we are getting buggy's and things thrown at us from all angles, very hard to refuse, is it silly that I'd love to chose our own Moses basket, travel system etc? I know financially it makes sense to beg,borrow,steal but I'd feel like we were missing out by not researching and buying our own.

*unlurks*

I would honestly take what's offered (within reason of course). We unfortunately had nobody to give us anything so we spent a small fortune on the travel system - it was great for the first few months but they grow so quickly and before you know it you're just using the stroller part and you realise it would be nice to have something more compact like a city mini! But after spending all that money you can't justify it! I'm still using my travel system stroller and I do like it but it's bulky - in an ideal world I would have got a lend of a travel system for the first few months and then bought a stroller I like. Same for the moses basket - they will only be in it for a few weeks! I didn't even buy one, straight into the cot for my fella! Take the stuff for the early days and figure out what you like and what you don't and then spend the money where it's needed!

I'm due number 2 at the end of January all going well. I'm just 14+2 now so I probably should be in the February thread! I'm still feeling sick and exhausted at times but I was worse on my first so I'm not complaining. It was around the 20 week mark last time before I started feeling better and then I got a couple of months of energy before I started getting big and tired again! My tummy is definitely getting bigger quicker this time so I think it's going to start giving me away soon - I'm still in my normal clothes but I'd say I'll have to dig out the maternity stuff in the next few weeks :eek: Feels very early for all that!

Anyway - hi all!

:D

Oh god!! Must not type while distracted!!

I am still in the SICK camp!!!

*unlurks*

My tummy is definitely getting bigger quicker this time so I think it's going to start giving me away soon - I'm still in my normal clothes but I'd say I'll have to dig out the maternity stuff in the next few weeks :eek: Feels very early for all that!

Anyway - hi all!

Hi Mary!!
    I ventured into maternity clothes at about 12 weeks. I carry weight anyway around my tummy but pregnancy seems to have brought it all to the front so jeans and trousers were tight pretty early, despite my weight steadily decreasing :)

Congrats on baby number 2 :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭An Bhanríon

I have just realised I have made my first posting on the pregnancy forum. So no lurking for me anymore. Hi to all the January 2016 crew!

Had a miscarriage this January so was being extra cautious with this pregnancy. Fingers and toes crossed all goes well.

Wishing you all a happy and healthy pregnancy.

I have just realised I have made my first posting on the pregnancy forum. So no lurking for me anymore. Hi to all the January 2016 crew!

Had a miscarriage this January so was being extra cautious with this pregnancy. Fingers and toes crossed all goes well.

Wishing you all a happy and healthy pregnancy.

Congrats on your pregnancy!

So reassuring to hear that little heartbeat at the GP's this morning...

A question. Has anyone seen those 'belly band' things in the shops? I went into Mothercare the other day and they didn't seem to stock them at all. They just had those extender things which I heard weren't much good. I am using a hair bobbin at the moment to keep my jeans together but it means I can't wear tight fitting tops over them because it doesn't look great. I thought maybe one of those belly band things would sort out the problem and smooth over the bumps in the denim.

Maybe I will just have to go online.

Ha ha, you'd know this was my first baby. I'm sure the vanity will wear off pretty soon and I won't care anymore what my clothes look like!

I'd recommend the belly band from Topshop - it's a proper stretchy material that actually stays up and provides some support. The jersey-type ones from the likes of New Look, while cheaper, are worse than useless. I used a black Topshop one in the early days to extend the use of my jeans and again towards the end when I needed a little "extra" support to keep my under-the-bump jeans up (At the end I found over-the-bump became annoying). And it's still in perfect condition for this pregnancy, so well worth it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

I found the New Look ones fine, I had a navy, white and black one as they came in a 3 pack and they got me through months and months of pregnancy.

Just had my 16wk check up and scan. Baby is doing great. Was nice to meet my consultant, Dr Foley in Holles St, not at all what I expected and very reassuring.

Was really nice to see baby again, nice and active having a wiggle about :)

I wasn't weighed this time which surprised me but maybe that's normal??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

http://www.littleangels.ie/maternity-clothes/15-belly-belt-combo-kit.html I find these good for actually keeping your trousers closed & extending them! Little Miss Cutie I only ever got weighed on my booking visit! Thank god because I'd find it pretty demotivating to be weighed at each one!

Thank god because I'd find it pretty demotivating to be weighed at each one!

I guess I thought because I am overweight they would weigh me every time.

I am very concerned about putting on additional weight and am really watching everything that I eat

I guess I thought because I am overweight they would weigh me every time.

I am very concerned about putting on additional weight and am really watching everything that I eat

You could probably ask if you're worried. I do think though that the reason they are reluctant to weigh every time is so not to put additional pressure on us to weigh a certain amount. I think they're right, go with the flow & let your body change as it needs to, before & after pregnancy.

Our bodies are doing something amazing and yes, we put weight on in the first trimester before we even begin to show, we get more bumpy in the second trimester and put extra padding on in the third! But don't forget a lot of that weight will be baby, the womb, placenta and amniotic fluid and other things like that!

About watching what you eat, I read somewhere that during pregnancy you need your regular meals & a couple of snacks, and only the equivalent of a slice of bread extra! Try telling me that! I'm having nearly an extra meal before bed, and I was a divil on my first pregnancy!

Thanks for the recommendations, ladies. I'm finding the whole clothes thing a bit traumatic, although my friends find it quite hilarious to hear me giving out about not being able to close my jeans. They are used to putting on weight and losing weight, and clothes not fitting them, but I have been pretty much the same size for the last 15 years so it's all new to me. The only person I am getting sympathy from about my clothing woes is actually my husband!

Anyway, off to the shops with me to buy a belly band and see how that goes...

Thanks Flippyflop, I have been advised not to gain any weight during pregnancy which is why I thought they might be keen to weigh me.

I am being careful with quantity and also have avoided all choc/crisps etc which thankfully I am not craving anyway

• Advertisement

Sorry little miss cutie! That is strange!

Sorry little miss cutie! That is strange!

It's just because I am overweight to start with :)

It's just because I am overweight to start with :)

Oh my god little miss cutie I'm sorry that's not what I meant! I mean it's strange they meant to keep an eye and didn't! Maybe by looking at you they knew you looked great ;)

Hi all!
    Just wondering if you hear at the heart beat at the anatomy scan in Holles St?

My consultant does a scan each visit rather than use a Doppler. Would love to hear little ones heart beat xx

Hi all!

My consultant does a scan each visit rather than use a Doppler. Would love to hear little ones heart beat xx

Ooh I can't remember... I'm sure if you ask they'll turn the sound on. Last time around the sonographer was a bit unfriendly so I don't think she did. I get a scan each visit too but the consultant always gives me a quick listen so ask next time.

Is your scan at 21 weeks? I am booked in for 21 weeks this time whereas last time it was 20 weeks and it's not a scheduling thing the consultant was quite specific about it. It's an extra week to wait which is a pain!

Is your scan at 21 weeks? I am booked in for 21 weeks this time whereas last time it was 20 weeks and it's not a scheduling thing the consultant was quite specific about it. It's an extra week to wait which is a pain!

Yep my scan is 21 weeks, I mentioned it in conversation and she said they prefer 21 weeks cause they can see more. I guess the week makes a difference???

How you feel now?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Entropy7

During the anatomy scan at HS, I could see the wave on the screen but I didn't hear it. They measure the height of the wave at top and bottom and i think they check the shape of the wave too.

Yep my scan is 21 weeks, I mentioned it in conversation and she said they prefer 21 weeks cause they can see more. I guess the week makes a difference???

How you feel now?

I'm pretty good now I just seem to have nausea and heartburn first thing in the morning and then after breakfast and then I generally feel okay for the rest of the day. I feel lucky as I felt rough with my son for a lot longer - I'm only 15+4 now. I'm exhausted but a large part of that is down to having an older baby who doesn't sleep and a long working day with a very early start!

How are you?

I can't imagine being pregnant and having a little one as well!!

I'm good, I think baby is growing well as the consultant, can't wait to feel some movement ;)

Thankfully I don't have heartburn, still sick very morning from the second I wake and then usually queasy all day, struggling to eat followed by done evening sickness. I am only now waking in the night to be sick :( it's not the worst once baby is ok

I can't imagine being pregnant and having a little one as well!!

I'm good, I think baby is growing well as the consultant, can't wait to feel some movement ;)

Thankfully I don't have heartburn, still sick very morning from the second I wake and then usually queasy all day, struggling to eat followed by done evening sickness. I am only now waking in the night to be sick :( it's not the worst once baby is ok

You poor thing that's rough. My sickness cleared up around 21/22 weeks last time and the second half of my pregnancy was SO much easier. Even towards the end when I was big and uncomfortable it was a doddle compared to the first half. Will be hoping for the same for you! I never did get my appetite back but I could eat without retching which was great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 EJD

Hi all!

God I can't remember at all (you'd think I would having had 2 kids already!). However my GP checked the heartbeat today at my GP appt. Are you doing combined care, if so maybe your GP will check for you? Or as another poster mentioned you could always ask the sonographer. I got the nicest sonographer ever at my 12 week booking in appt in Holles St. She took ages with the scan, chatting to me, printing loads of photos and even typing up little messages like 'hello sisters' on some of the scans for when I show my daughters - so hopefully your sonographer will be the same x

Ok, so I will ask at the big scan if we can heart the heartbeat, otherwise I will wait til my GP appointment.

I am afraid to jinx myself but yesterday and today, no sickness still plenty of wrenching but no actual sickness. Could this wk (wk17) be the week that it stops???

• Registered Users Posts: 9 countrygirl123

Hi All,

I may as well join the thread as I'm due in January also! I really can't believe how quickly the time is passing!
    We're attending Holles St SP and so far so good.

Little Miss Cutie, If you have your big scan in Merrion Foetal Clinic you will be able to hear the heartbeat there. On our first scan at 8 weeks it was one of the first things the lovely sonographer made us aware of and its so lovely to hear!

Little Miss Cutie, If you have your big scan in Merrion Foetal Clinic you will be able to hear the heartbeat there. On our first scan at 8 weeks it was one of the first things the lovely sonographer made us aware of and its so lovely to hear!

Hiya, did you hear the heart beat at 8 weeks?

Feel like I should have asked sooner if you did. They didn't mention it at my casualty visits or 12/16 wk visit :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9 countrygirl123

Hiya, did you hear the heart beat at 8 weeks?

Feel like I should have asked sooner if you did. They didn't mention it at my casualty visits or 12/16 wk visit :(

It was at our first scan at 8 weeks in merrion foetal that the sonographer let us listen to it, I think it was to make it that more real for us. In Holles st they didn't mention anything about listening to the heartbeat only showed the heart beating to us on screen, that was for both booking and consultant appointment.

Little Miss Cutie when they do the scan at 12/16 weeks they see the heart beating and often leave it at that as there's no diagnostic reason to turn on the sound. I had my anomaly scan at Merrion Fetal Health last time and they didn't turn on sound as far as I can remember BUT they have a lot to do and check at that appointment and depending on the sonographer they can be quite engrossed in their work. I'm sure if you asked they would be happy to let you hear it for a few seconds.

Hope you are all doing well, especially those who have been sick. Hopefully it is beginning to clear up... I just have my little 'stretching pains' these days but that is nothing compared to the sea-sick feeling of the first trimester.

Little Miss Cutie, my GP always gets the Doppler scan thing out and lets me listen to the heartbeat on my ante-natal visits. I don't know if that's normal but I think my own doctor sees it as part of her job to help her patients not worry during their pregnancy. And hearing the heartbeat does help me to relax, certainly. They did it at our 12 week scan in the Rotunda too. Just switched up the volume so we could hear, so I can't imagine it would be a big deal to ask.

I finally found a cheap pair of maternity jeans (on sale in Mothercare) and am wearing them for the first time today. So comfortable compared to my ordinary jeans. €12 very well spent!

I finally found a cheap pair of maternity jeans (on sale in Mothercare) and am wearing them for the first time today. So comfortable compared to my ordinary jeans. €12 very well spent!

I am sad to admit that I moved in maternity clothes at 8 wks :( I mentioned it at one of my appointments and midwife said it because baby is lodged so low!

Maternity jeans and trousers are the best things ever invented! So comfy!

I really need to start buying maternity clothes. I start back teaching next week so have spent the past two months slobbing about in trackies and sports bras!
    Any suggestions for reasonable prices??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭bobskii

just jumping in from Jan 2015 thread to say there's a sale on in debhnams and new look and they both have maternity stuff in it.tshirts and stuff are handy to layer up for at home in the winter with long sleeve tops underneath from penny's . and they had jeans too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭sambucus nigra

I've razed my wardrobe recently and put all my non-pregnancy-compatible clothes into storage. There's still a decent amount of stuff I can still wear that is non-maternity - waterfall cardigans, empire line dresses etc.

Mamalicious isn't a bad brand for stocking up on basics and they have a sale on their website too atm. I managed to snag a winter coat by them on Amazon for €30 (score!) - I hate the cold and the thoughts of not being able to zip my coat up during the long bleak winter was just awful! Hopefully I'll be able to use it after the birth too for baby wearing in January/February.

Hope ye're all keeping well - I'm 21 weeks now, getting positively pummelled from the inside some nights by junior. Some of the kicks/punches are so strong, I am already worried for my ribs for the coming months!

How is everyone getting on?

I'm 19wks now, our little Peanut is still causing lots of drama. Was in hospital over the the last two days for bleeding and an anti-d injection :) thankfully no morning sickness that last two days :)

Baby is doing great and really starting to feel little flutters! Hoping to feel some kicks over the next couple of weeks!

Hope everyone else is doing well too!

Are you Rh Neg Lil Cutie? I am but have had no issues so far.
    Glad all is OK now for you.
    Our Lil one is moving plenty and have my 20 week scan next Tuesday.
    I'm back to school tomorrow, dreading it!!
    Got some maternity clothes from new look online today. Loving bump bands!
    Rest of stuff bit big yet tho.

Are you Rh Neg Lil Cutie? I am but have had no issues so far.

Yeah I am RH Neg, which is why I needed the anti-d :)

Oh haven't checked out new look, must look up their site.
    Was at a wedding last weekend and wore a maternity dress from next. It is simple enough but did the job :)

New Look is good value. I got a pair of jeans,3 string tops,3 bump bands and a skirt for 60€. They have lots of pretty dresses too.
    Asos have a sale on too.
    I never knew my blood type until I got pregnant so they freaked me out a bit with all the talk of Anti D at first.

• Advertisement

Ah yeah, I have been donating blood for years so knew my blood type and RH status from the get go.

The one thing that got me was when the say "any" unexpected bleeding, I wondered if I was bleeding enough. Turns out they literally means "any" there is no minimum amount.

Had my scan yesterday and all looming good! Turns out my placenta is at the front and that might be why I'm not feeling big movements yet! Was worrying me at times!

Had my scan yesterday and all looming good! Turns out my placenta is at the front and that might be why I'm not feeling big movements yet! Was worrying me at times!

Glad to hear all is looking good and some explanation as to why you aren't feeling too much yet!

Aw, Flippyfloppy, that's reassuring to hear. I haven't felt anything yet and I'm nearly twenty weeks. I know it says in all the books not to worry but sometimes it's hard not to.

Twenty week scan for me next week. Am between looking forward to seeing our little baby and worried that something will be wrong. But I suppose that's the way of the world. Luckily have lots of stuff to keep me distracted!

Good to hear all your stories, ladies. Most of my friends' children are over three so they have forgotten the whole pregnancy thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Dinocicero

I've gotten some dresses from New Look recently and they are really good. Got a few from ASOS too which are nice but their sizes are a bit odd (got my usual size and it could have fitted three of me!).

Anyone else started the pregnancy yoga? I'm going in Maynooth and the class is really good. (Haven't a clue how some of the ladies who are further along can manage it, I can barely keep up as it is!)

Babs is fairly athletic by now, started getting kicks and wiggles at the start of the week (I'm 20 weeks on Sunday) and they're fairly consistent now.

By the way - anyone have a recommendation for those exercise balls you can get? Had a quick look on amazon and there are zillions of types. Does anyone know a good one? (plus, are there special ones for pregnancy or are they just normal exercise balls??)

Next scan in two weeks, can't wait! Had some bleeding early on and it all seems fine now but still wouldn't mind the reassurance.

PS - Miss cutie, had the exact same problem with the bleeding, why can't they tell you how much they mean??

• Advertisement
Advertisement