Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

STOVES questions and answers here(see mod note in post 1)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Sanchez83

angeldaisy wrote: »
    I've been looking round at inset stoves, these are the ones I have been recommended;

Riva 55 : Boru 400i : Faro 600i

Would these be the best ones?

How much should I expect to pay to get it fitted, one quote came in around 900 for fittings and labour. Does that seem reasonable? The chimney is quite tall, we need 6mtrs of lining.

Hi,

Fitting costs should be similar regardless which you choose.
    Assuming the e900 includes the stove connection pipes,flexible liners,vermiculite,chimney cowl etc it's not too bad.These stoves will not fit a standard opening(assume you meant Boru 600) so some work will be needed to convert the opening etc.There is easily a full days work in it.
    Materials approx e400-e500 so you are being charged e400-e500 for labour.Assuming the guy has good reports on previous jobs I don't think you will do much better.
    A cowboy maybe but not worth the risk IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Anna76

Hi,

Hoping to get some advice on insert stoves. Looking at the Henley achill 6.6kw, aarow ecoburn 7 and Inis Inisbofin 5kw. All being sold by same shop who fit and have a good reputation. Would appreciate any thoughts on which you think would be best. Room is 16x14ft with two large windows and double door into kitchen, good insulation. Online calculator says 4-5kw. Any advice much appreciated.

3 of the best insert stoves on the market.
    You really couldn't go wrong with any of them.
    Pick which every you prefer really as I couldn't put one over the other bar personal preference.

Sanchez83 wrote: »
    3 of the best insert stoves on the market.
    You really couldn't go wrong with any of them.
    Pick which every you prefer really as I couldn't put one over the other bar personal preference.

Thanks Sanchez can you let me know which you would pick, I'd value your opinion☺

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

I have the hendly in for the past three months and i really couldnt fault it.

• Advertisement

I have the hendly in for the past three months and i really couldnt fault it.

Thanks that's the first one I looked at and the cheaper of the three so might go for that.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Hi,

Fitting costs should be similar regardless which you choose.
    Assuming the e900 includes the stove connection pipes,flexible liners,vermiculite,chimney cowl etc it's not too bad.These stoves will not fit a standard opening(assume you meant Boru 600) so some work will be needed to convert the opening etc.There is easily a full days work in it.
    Materials approx e400-e500 so you are being charged e400-e500 for labour.Assuming the guy has good reports on previous jobs I don't think you will do much better.
    A cowboy maybe but not worth the risk IMO.

As far as I know, he said these stoves would not need any structural work doing, only maybe an inch or so. The Boru he said was the 400i, not sure if there is any difference dimensionally.

Are these decent enough stoves or should I be looking at other models. I just want something that is good quality that I'm not going to be replacing in a few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

was recently recommended the Arrow i400T cassette style insert stove. looking for something modern to fit a fairly large chimney area and we were 99% sure on this until we were told it actually wasnt suitable afterall as its not suitable for external air....so back to drawing board
    Anyone know of anything similar in style and look that would be suitable and 6-8kw max??

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭bigdawg

fifib wrote: »
    was recently recommended the Arrow i400T cassette style insert stove. looking for something modern to fit a fairly large chimney area and we were 99% sure on this until we were told it actually wasnt suitable afterall as its not suitable for external air....so back to drawing board
    Anyone know of anything similar in style and look that would be suitable and 6-8kw max??

Check out Meg stoves. British made. Available exclusively from Olden's in Carrigaline. We have the 4.5 Contemporary Casette and its a beast. Best thing i have every bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 arbf1

I measured the rads this morning

kitchen 110x50cm new double
    sitting room (where stove will be) 195x50cm old single
    hall 118x60cm old double
    bathroom 112x60cm new double
    bedroomA 170x50cm old single
    bedroomB 170x50cm old single
    attic roomA 144x50cm old single
    attic roomB 100x50cm new double

hot water cylinder is 65cm high and 35cm wide (couldn't see capacity written anywhere on it).

They are a right mix of shapes and sizes that were in house when we bought it. Like I said some of the older single rads...particularly in bedrooms may need replacing. It'd mean so much to me if you could give opinions on kw needed based on these measurements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

bigdawg wrote: »
    Check out Meg stoves. British made. Available exclusively from Olden's in Carrigaline. We have the 4.5 Contemporary Casette and its a beast. Best thing i have every bought.

thanks bigdawg, just did quick google on it there, looks nice. couldnt see any info on whether its got external air or suitable for airtight house - do you know if it has? also you mind me asking a ball park on price?

Anna76 wrote: »
    Thanks Sanchez can you let me know which you would pick, I'd value your opinion☺

I'd pick the Henley Achill as it's a reasonable price and a great stove.
    Probably go for the Ecoburn second.
    The Boffin is a very good stove but slightly overpriced imo.If you preferred it however then you wouldn't be disappointed.

fifib wrote: »

Henley Faro 500 or 55 cassettes would be around 8kw and suitable for external air.They have a Faro 400 coming later in the summer which would be 6-7kw.
    External air stoves are not easily available yet as most stove manufacturers are only playing catch up to the new building regulations.

arbf1 wrote: »
    I measured the rads this morning

kitchen 110x50cm new double
    sitting room (where stove will be) 195x50cm old single
    hall 118x60cm old double
    bathroom 112x60cm new double
    bedroomA 170x50cm old single
    bedroomB 170x50cm old single
    attic roomA 144x50cm old single
    attic roomB 100x50cm new double

hot water cylinder is 65cm high and 35cm wide (couldn't see capacity written anywhere on it).

They are a right mix of shapes and sizes that were in house when we bought it. Like I said some of the older single rads...particularly in bedrooms may need replacing. It'd mean so much to me if you could give opinions on kw needed based on these measurements.

Ya I was quiet close with estimate.Works out around 15.6kw to the water so a good nominal heat output 21kw boiler stove should do the job.
    Stratford EB16,Boru Carrig Mor 20kw and Henley Druid would be some of the usual suspects and safe bets.
    Saw and had a good look today at the Broseley Evolution 26,looks a savage machine. 16kw to water and 10kw to room(but I doubt any boiler stove would give 10kw to room). Build quality and finish looked A1 and I personally really liked the look of it,nice and modern.

angeldaisy wrote: »
    As far as I know, he said these stoves would not need any structural work doing, only maybe an inch or so. The Boru he said was the 400i, not sure if there is any difference dimensionally.

Are these decent enough stoves or should I be looking at other models. I just want something that is good quality that I'm not going to be replacing in a few years.

The Boru 400 would not give the same heat as the Stovax 55 or Faro 600. If you were given 3 options then the Boru 600i is what should have been advised.
    All 3 are good brands,the Stovax and Faro have cleaner lines and better finish. But the Boru will also do what it says on the tin and possibly a bit cheaper.
    The Arrow i600 is another good one to consider.

Thanks Sanchez, do you think the druid 21kw would do? The manual says 13kw to water...am I too focused on this? would it really go a little further than it says. OH says we prob not even getting a quarter of that output to rads with crappy back boiler in open fire currently so it'll be a big improvement...I'm a sceptic though, if I need bigger I will get it. I have to admit though the firebox on the 21kw was MASSIVE in showroom the other day, it would take filling, and it was so big in fireplace...they didn't have the 25kw on display (in fact they aren't even listed in new henley brochure) but know it is bigger again and salesman did say it and the 30kw are often used in big old stone farmhouses with lots more rooms and area than my little cottage (and a free supply of timber often). If anything he should have been encouraging me to size up to spend more but he didn't. Personally think there's hardly that much difference but I want to get it right. what do you think?

Henley website says it's 15kw and 6 kW.You probably have an old brochure.
    21kw should do fine,25kw would be a waste.

This is correct I just checked the website

Did they actually change stove or just change figures? Maybe new figures just more accurate rep. of what it was giving. If they did alter it how could I be sure I get the new rather than the old model?

Any other opinions on the henley druid 21 anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭SoapFan27

Big Nelly wrote: »
    Nice job,.......

Just one question, have you had any issues with the glass getting dirty from the fire? it seems every so often after I have a good fire going the glass will be dirty, not sure what I am doing wrong

Hey, I just cleaned this successfully off, after my Dad told me what he does. Used damp kitchen roll and ash from the fire, all came off perfectly. We are only burning wood so be careful if you are burning other things as I read somewhere that ash can be abrasive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭k123456

SoapFan27 wrote: »
    Hey, I just cleaned this successfully off, after my Dad told me what he does. Used damp kitchen roll and ash from the fire, all came off perfectly. We are only burning wood so be careful if you are burning other things as I read somewhere that ash can be abrasive.

Just to add, if glass gets very dirty, it is very easy to thoroughly clean every 2/3 months

Remove glass
    lay on paper , in a garage or shed
    Spray oven cleaner, wait 30 mins, and rinse off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 kingjp1st

Ya I was quiet close with estimate.Works out around 15.6kw to the water so a good nominal heat output 21kw boiler stove should do the job.
    Stratford EB16,Boru Carrig Mor 20kw and Henley Druid would be some of the usual suspects and safe bets.
    Saw and had a good look today at the Broseley Evolution 26,looks a savage machine. 16kw to water and 10kw to room(but I doubt any boiler stove would give 10kw to room). Build quality and finish looked A1 and I personally really liked the look of it,nice and modern.

I love the look of that Broseley Evolution 26, I see it is wood burning only. Is there anything similar that allows you to burn coal?

Firebelly stoves might have something similar.
    I'm not up on their full range but they have some nice modern stuff.
    Do a quick google and see if they have a big boiler stove.

Firebelly stoves might have something similar.
    I'm not up on their full range but they have some nice modern stuff.
    Do a quick google and see if they have a big boiler stove.

Will do Sanchez83, thank you

Has anybody any opinions on The Faro 700 21kw Boiler insert stove?

Its on the Henley stoves website under Cassette Fires.

Looks like Firebelly don't do boiler stoves.
    Oh well.

Looks like Firebelly don't do boiler stoves.
    Oh well.

No unfortunately not but thanks anyway. What do you think of the Henley Faro range?

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭philboy

Hi,
    I'm looking for an insert boiler stove for a house with 12 rads. The room for the stove is 12x20ft with a standard fireplace opening. What options would I be looking at or is it even possible to get an insert stove for this setup?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

Looking at a semi d house with a gas fire against the dividing wall between the 2 houses. There is no proper chimney. Is it possible to put a stove in? Thanks

paulers06 wrote: »
    Looking at a semi d house with a gas fire against the dividing wall between the 2 houses. There is no proper chimney. Is it possible to put a stove in? Thanks

Could you position your stove against an external wall, flue would be on external wall, preferably rear or gable,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 dara.obriain

Hi all, looking for a double-sided stove in the 5-7 kW range that doesn't cost the earth , preferably less than a grand. Boru is the only one I can see but it's way too big 12kw. Just a roomheater by the way, no back boiler. Would very much appreciate any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Hi,
    Not too many options on the market.
    The smallest I have seen is the Kratki Koza K8 tunnel.
    However you can only burn wood and peat in it,no coal.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭bobboberson

Hello,

I'm looking for a little help, is a bad idea to put a 30kw stove into a house that only really need a 25 max kw. Is it bad for the system or is it just a case of using to much fuel

Anthony

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Jane98

Looking for a 9-10kw room heating multi-fuel freestanding stove. Any recommendations?

Also can anyone recommend a good website that you can buy from online or at least get a feel for approximate prices.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭hometruths

Looking for recommendations for a stove that will heat 14 rads and have a fairly chunky output to the room. No hot water heating requirement.

Old farmhouse with own supply of firewood so not too worried about overcooking the efficiency.

Any pointers much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 willsandbills

I have been reading and reading so reckon its time to ask for some help. I'm starting a new build and the inset stove (wood burning only ) is mainly for aesthetic purposes. Room will have underfloor and good solar gain. i thought my choice would be easy, pick a stove pop it in new chimney and done !!! The room is about 5 m by 5 m by 5 meters high. living room.The house will be a SIP panel house.
    I don't want to spend 2 or 3 thousand so have come down on a Krakti jas inset stove ( its 3 to 9 KW rated). It seems I need to build a hot air space within the new chimney breast to allow heat to vent from outside into room. I had assumed all the heat would come from the glass.
    Just wondering if anyone here has done that or may have suggestions.

• Advertisement

Hi,

To the best of my knowledge you don't need to build a hot air space for a vent but technically speaking it would give off more heat as you won't waste the heat from the flue.
    I think the Kratki Jas is a Woodburning only stove...?
    Kratki are a decent Polish brand,quality looks very good and robust.Price seems also reasonable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

looking for a multifuel ( coal burning! ) stove that looks like this or similar

346527.jpg

Cant find any except wood burning .. hate the square look for the sunroom!.

TIA :)

I am not aware of any multifuel contemporary stove like this on the market.
    Most countries burn primarily wood.
    Good timber with a low moisture content is as good as coal.

celtic_oz wrote: »
    looking for a multifuel ( coal burning! ) stove that looks like this or similar

346527.jpg

Cant find any except wood burning .. hate the square look for the sunroom!.

TIA :)

perhaps :

http://www.unipipe.ie/index.cfm?area=page&action=pageselect&menuid=220&ancestorlist=0

PS i think must wood burning stoves are actually multi fuel, I think pure wood does not have a grate, where the ash falls thru to a pan

multi fuel has a grate (maybe someone of the forum could confirm)

Wood burns best on a flatbed on a bed of its own ashes.
    However most european manufacturers will state wood only regardless of the grate as coal will ruin any stove over time,Woodburning or multifuel.
    We need to get away from the fascination of burning coal and turf in this country.Good dry timber is better or as good in nearly every way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Cerco

Early stage of thinking about a stove for a bungalow. Which would be best, to get one with a boiler or without?

I see that max temp for impeller pump, for shower, taps etc is 65*C. Would this be a big issue? Any other issues/costs I would need to consider when hot tank is on same level as a stove boiler?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 121 ✭✭biddy21

Hi, I got a concept solid fuel stove fitted just before christmas. The two esb bills I have got since have increased, apparently now we are using about 22 units a day where we used to use 17. I thought that now we are not using the electric shower at all and we have boiling water most of the time, that the bill would come down. Would anyone know if the pump on the cooker would account for the rise in electricity use? It was used all day for over christmas but generally only being lit in the evening.
    Thanks for any help

i would not think so, if you check the manual as to what the pump is rated at, it would be easier to tell you.
    However it always seems the christmas bills are higher.

A great idea is an Owl electricity monitor or equivalent, that way you can see at any point in the day or night exactly what is being consumed. Sometimes the background usage ( i.e. whats being consumed all day every day) can be surprising.

Anyway thats my tuppence worth, I'm sure you will get more exact comments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 121 ✭✭biddy21

Thanks for that, but the manual is not the easiest one to read. I expected the christmas bill to be higher (Jan) but not the march one and that one is actually higher.

i presume you mean the circulating pump, it might be visible near stove and you can read off the size , watts ? or maybe HP
    If so let us know what it says and then calculate how many hours a week it is turned on.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 MayoMagic

Hi all,

About to commit to buying a "Henley Druid" Double Sided stove for the new house, heard one bad review that the grate doesn't last in them and was advised to go with the "Hunter Herald" instead - which is not as pleasing on the eye.

Any experience from anyone here with Hunter or Henley stoves??

Cheers,
    P

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

biddy21 wrote: »
    Thanks for that, but the manual is not the easiest one to read. I expected the christmas bill to be higher (Jan) but not the march one and that one is actually higher.

FWIW, our electrical usage goes up from 14 to around 20 units a day over the winter months. Mostly due to circulation pumps running for longer, and also 400w outside lights being on for longer. Had the sensor on one fail, it was running up 4 units a night alone.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭baby builder

Hi everyone!

We are starting our new build in the next 8 weeks (finally!!) I'm looking for recommendations on a double sided inset stove (wood-burning) to go between an open plan kitchen living/dining area. There'll be underfloor heating, a MHRV and, with the new regulations, a good standard of insulation (wall u value 0.18, windows 1.1) but it's a large area - just shy of 80sqm. It needs to look pretty too - and not be lost in such a large area. Was thinking of the boru 900i but it seems that can't be fed with external air like the 600 can (after a kit fitted). I hope this is making sense!!

Would really appreciate all words of wisdom and recommendations!

Hi Mayo Magic,

Whoever told you that must have been burning some serious crap in their stove because the Henley Druid is one of the best quality products on the market.
    I've seen a few issues with paint peeling and needing to be re sprayed but never once a problem with the quality of the stove or it's parts.
    Hunter Herald are not a popular stove here in Ireland as they are way overpriced for what they are.
    Pick up the phone and ring some henley stockists and ask them straight out if they have replaced a Henley Druid grate in the last 6 months,I'd bet no.

Dik Geurtz have a very nice outside air ready large cassette at the moment.
    A bit more expensive than Boru but not overpriced.
    If you are looking for value I'm sure Kratki have an outside air large cassette but you would need to contact one of their retailers for further info as they are only getting off the ground here in Ireland but selling in Europe for decades.
    Lastly Henley Lisbon 900 is external air ready also and classy looking.

• Advertisement
Advertisement