Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi company racism report

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

inisboffin wrote: »
    The thing is you are *not* basing it on nationality, you are basing it on skin colour which is no indication of nationality. It is like looking at a White person and saying " I am not getting in a car with that British b*stard "(French, German, Austrian whatever), while having no idea where they are actually from. Aside from the obvious statement that people are individuals, there may of course be certain cultural 'traits' that make people likeable/hated etc. Kenyans are different from Ethiopians, from Nigerians etc, but how people can be sure which country they are from at a glance, beats me. In another 10 years if we continue to do this sorting by skin colour, we will be taking business from young black Irish lads.

Of course you have a right to choose, and of course bad experience will influence that, but the point is,skin colour doesn't tell us that much at all.

just because they are black does not mean you cannot tell them apart. I mean not all whites look the same and you can tell the difference between Irish, French and Russian.

i base it on nationality and like most people, can tell the difference between a south african and nigerian. with the former i have had positive experiences and the latter negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Racism for me seems a lot worse down here than anywhere I have been if I'm completely honest. I've never been exposed to such raw and hatefull sentiments from people I would have considered mild mannered before. The taxi drivers have it bad as well, I have heard and witnessed some horror stories. It made me ashamed one night to witness a "man" in GMIT student accomadation start shouting that he didn't have to pay the taxi driver because he was black. Then he started on about how he should go back to africa. It makes my blood boil. Surely we as a people can understand emigration, it was us upto 20 years ago that were leaving the country in our droves to get jobs abroad and unfortunately many people are being forced to do it now. So Irish people with there selective memories really pi$$ me off.

The worst thing about it down here is that is quietly acceptable I feel. If someone says something even remotely racist there is apparently no real stigma attached. Its become part of casual conversation and to that an extent acceptable. Its annoying how ignorant and basically stupid some of the claims are though. Some real mind blowing conspericies going on around this city.

maybe i will go over to your country and drive a taxi. i am sure i would get a great welcome and given that Africans can not be racist I would encounter no problems.

if anyone wants a car with an Irish driver just go for the one with the Irish flag

Fuinseog wrote: »

i base it on nationality and like most people, can tell the difference between a south african and nigerian.

Whatever about your facist views... this out of all the muck posted in this thread is the biggest load of crap tbh..... you can pinpoint an Africans home country :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

to be honest the irish ones are fairer, they're not as afraid to trust students.
    the african or whoever they are taxi drivers are usually like if ya sit in the taxi first "no money first, money first!"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

A survey revealed that 26% of those who didn’t observe this practice did so because they were trying to find an ‘Irish taxi’.

What it failed to say was that the other 74% did so because they were trying to avoid an Irish Taxi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Careful, according to the mods you're not allowed to express anti-racist views, it's too extreme.
    You're welcome to express your antifa views, just don't post antifa pics or try tagging my forum...
    Just as fascists or racists aren't allowed to post too extreme views neither are anti-fascists or anti-racists.

Left or right opinions are welcome as long as they conduct themselves. Even discussion on whether immigration is good or bad is fine. What isn't welcome is abusing or insulting other posters or being derogatory towards minorities.

Oh, and try to stick to the issue (Galway/Taxi/Racism).

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Whatever about your facist views... this out of all the muck posted in this thread is the biggest load of crap tbh..... you can pinpoint an Africans home country :rolleyes:
    I can tell the difference between African accents, not all but some.
    I can also tell a Chinese person from a Japanese.
    Can you?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

biko wrote: »
    Can you?

Yes.

squinty-leo.jpg?w=302&h=263

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Can you?

An Asian looking lad just moved in down the road.
    My friend swore he was Japanese, but I was convinced he was Chinese.
    In the end we called it a Thai.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

mink_man wrote: »
    to be honest the irish ones are fairer, they're not as afraid to trust students.
    the african or whoever they are taxi drivers are usually like if ya sit in the taxi first "no money first, money first!"

judging from the story a few posts up from yours the African drivers should be afraid to trust students.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

ebbsy wrote: »
    That taxi driver should have done whats hes told, if he does'nt want to take fares the he should get out.
    Get out of where, his taxi or your country? :rolleyes:
    Fuinseog wrote: »
    you seem to be getting personal here and the childish smileys or whatever you want to call them do not help. obviously this is a topic you feel very emotional about. people like you drive people towards hard core racism.
    I'm sorry for getting personal, I didn't mean to question your musical knowledge. I have absolutely no intention of being in any way personal to something like you. :pac: get it round ye :pac:
    You're welcome to express your antifa views, just don't post antifa pics
    Just as fascists or racists aren't allowed to post too extreme views neither are anti-fascists or anti-racists.
    There was nothing extreme about the picture I posted.
    What isn't welcome is abusing or insulting other posters or being derogatory towards minorities.
    I wasn't aware that we counted racists as 'minority', or at least not in the conventional sense. I'll bare it in mind in future though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I can tell the difference between African accents, not all but some.
    Can you?

Emm, I'd hazard a guess that the posters claiming to be able to 100% diffentiate between people from 40 +countries on a single continent, did *not* knock on the drivers' window and have them recite 'Mary had a little lamb', to see if their accent passed muster or not:rolleyes:

Yes, there are national physical traits that *sometimes* give a clue but it is by NO means an indicator. And it is downright daft to say we can differentiate all the time..there are plenty of Connemara men who are dark, Spanish and French blokes who are fair etc. I KNOW that I'd find it hard to tell an Ethiopian from an Eritrean - yet many of those peoples would consider themselves as different as the Irish to the English

mink_man wrote: »

I have *never* had that happen to me from a driver of any colour. Mates on a stag night had to pay up front once though. No idea if driver was black or white...Given the repeat stories of people refusing to pay 'black' drivers, I kind of understand their caution.

What exactly is 'extreme anti-racist views' (real question)? isn't anti racism in the forum charter? How can it manifest as extreme? Isn't it a bit like saying 'extreme anti violence'? I honestly don't get what that means. Not personalising posts, yes, but not that.

I have *never* had that happen to me from a driver of any colour. Mates on a stag night had to pay up front once though. No idea if driver was black or white...Given the repeat stories of people refusing to pay 'black' drivers, I kind of understand their caution.
    The number of times I've overheard "shall we do a runner on de taxi boys?" "we will if its a black fella!".

What exactly is 'extreme anti-racist views' (real question)? isn't anti racism in the forum charter? How can it manifest as extreme?
    I guess it's along the lines of battering the f**** out off them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Personally I admit I do look for the white person when I'm looking for a taxi, I read on the news last year that Nigerians like eating monkeys , I found the link to the news story in case you think I am making it up, I despise cruelty to animals. I will not get into any Korean Made Car either as they eat dogs in Korea.

Just every time I see a Nigerian I picture the poor little monkeys getting eaten....

It's a well known fact that White taxi drivers don't eat the meat of animals, your dead right and that statement was not ridiculously stupid.

See I thought the monkey post was an attempt at a form of comedy, now my brain is boggling at the fact it may have been a serious post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭LawnMower Man

It is serious, I'm vegetarian for years and ever since that News report last year about the monkeys legs being smuggled in from Nigeria, I stopped getting Black Taxi drivers as I just think about the poor little monkeys getting there legs chopped off and posted over here, just stuck in my mind I suppose, same as the koreans eating dogs. Then again It doesnt bother me Irish people eating turkeys or Irish fare, Just I think Monkeys and Dogs have a bit of personality but thats just my view but I dont consider it racist.

It is serious, I'm vegetarian
    Hahahahaha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Just I think Monkeys and Dogs have a bit of personality

Jules: Pigs are filthy animals. I don't eat filthy animals.
    Vincent: Bacon tastes gooood. Pork chops taste gooood.
    Jules: Hey, sewer rat may taste like pumpkin pie, but I'd never know 'cause I wouldn't eat the filthy mother****er. Pigs sleep and root in ****. That's a filthy animal. I ain't eat nothin' that ain't got sense enough to disregard its own feces.
    Vincent: How about a dog? Dogs eats its own feces.
    Jules: I don't eat dog either.
    Vincent: Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal?
    Jules: I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.
    Vincent: Ah, so by that rationale, if a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal. Is that true?
    Jules: Well we'd have to be talkin' about one charming mother****in' pig. I mean he'd have to be ten times more charmin' than that Arnold on Green Acres, you know what I'm sayin'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Bjorn Bored.

I am currently living in Navan. There is a taxi company that have as their motto,

"If its a Navan Taxi, its a Navan driver"

Its there on the back of all their cars and I have never seen a black driver,

I cannot make my mind up if this is perfectly okay or downright racism?

What do others think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,671 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Yes, there are national physical traits that *sometimes* give a clue but it is by NO means an indicator. And it is downright daft to say we can differentiate all the time..there are plenty of Connemara men who are dark, Spanish and French blokes who are fair etc. I KNOW that I'd find it hard to tell an Ethiopian from an Eritrean - yet many of those peoples would consider themselves as different as the Irish to the English

+100.

Let's face it, 97.2% of Irish people can't tell the difference between me and an Australian after I've opened my mouth and said a few sentences to them. And accent is something that ye are very skilled at listening for and detecting subtle differences in.

(Ok, so the 7.2% of that was invented, but I reckon the 90 is pretty accurate.)

Given that, I rate the average Irish person's chances of accurately differentiating between the different African nationalities as pretty low.

I've now met enough Nigerians to be able to guess Nigerian or not fairly accurately. But only fairly, not totally reliably. I certainly can't get the others right.

Getting back to someone's question about how so many apparent non-EU nationals are getting in here to drive taxis. I suspect it is a good question, and that some are illegal, and therefore driving illegally. (I don't think that overall number of Africans in Ireland stacks up with the low levels of refugees the country accepts.)

But some will be on student visas that let them work. Some will be married to EU nationals. Some will actually be EU nationals, despite how they look. Some will be married to non-nationals who got here on skilled-job visas. Etc.

I am currently living in Navan. There is a taxi company that have as their motto,

"If its a Navan Taxi, its a Navan driver"

Its there on the back of all their cars and I have never seen a black driver,

I cannot make my mind up if this is perfectly okay or downright racism?

What do others think?

I'd say that's fair enough on the face of it tbh. You haven't seen a black driver because it's unlikely there are many Navan born black people that are old enough (you rarely see drivers under 30 anyway). Again it comes down to people wanting to support their own community.

There's a Galway company called "Guaranteed Irish" which is a little more iffy. I assume they get away with it because it's a "niche" and you are allowed to discriminate in hiring employees if it's on 'reasonable' grounds (i.e. a Chinese person at a Chinese restaurant).

Even if it is legal though, it's saddening to think there are people who will prefer to ring "Guaranteed Irish" because they know they won't get a black driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭LawnMower Man

Never heard of them but would appreciate there number as I am in Galway have they a website or anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Get out of where, his taxi or your country? :rolleyes:

Either.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭rorymcgrory

There are no rules to which taxi you must take. I always walk the line and pick the first one with a caucasion person driving.

I'm not a rascist, just tired of being ripped off by the negro taxi drivers in my town. Its a well known fact they charge at least 2 to 3 euro more per run

Anyone notice the trend in this thread?

More racist you are, the less active on the forum you seem to be.

I think I've just found a racist mindset. Now to discover why racists use message boards less then the rest of us :pac:

Anyone notice the trend in this thread?

More racist you are, the less active on the forum you seem to be.

I think I've just found a racist mindset. Now to discover why racists you message boards less then the rest of us :pac:

True. There's also an odd connection between racist posts, and sh*te use of English/grammar/spelling too!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭mbiking123

I know of a Polish guy who was a taxi driver in Galway, he has given his job up as there was no money in the job after a good few years working at it. He told me he heard Irish guys talking of the good times of when there was a shortage of taxi's and could get loads of fares. Now there is too many taxi's unless your looking for one

I have heard of women looking for women taxi drivers, thats not sexist is it ? If taxi at top of line has a taxi driver that looks dubious, and considering some taxi drivers have been found to have previous convictions then you are right to look elsewhere. Otherwise may end up like the lady that got in the taxi driven by John Ryan, She gave the driver, John Ryan, her address but he continued past it to an isolated area where he raped and sexually assaulted her. Not his first conviction
    http://www.peoplesrepublicofcork.com/~peoplesr/forums//showthread.php?t=175245

I have been in a taxi in Dublin driven by african and went down wrong road, he said it was accident. It cost slightly more money due to that error but only slightly. Given that taxi's have meters I dont see how they could charge more than say an Irish taxi driver. It is all regulated now

There is the case of african not having tax/insurance http://taxieire.lefora.com/2010/08/18/taxi-driver-from-nigeria-dokiwari-kobam-had-fake-t/ . How come these people get a PSV licence. I know more regulations are coming into force so perhaps this wont happen in the future again. No matter what nationality they are. Lots and lots of black guys driving taxi's in Galway. I heard big 'O' taxi's work on a system of all drivers have a share in business

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

I'm not a rascist, just tired of being ripped off by the negro taxi drivers in my town. Its a well known fact they charge at least 2 to 3 euro more per run
    Which is pretty much OK by me as if it wasn't for the competition they introduced to the rotten taxi industry the prices would be at least €5 higher across the board.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

think I've just found a racist mindset. Now to discover why racists use message boards less then the rest of us :pac:
    Because they're on their fifth boards account?:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement