Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ultimate Irish Hunting Knife

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

nice i do like the profile of the first one the second one looks a lovely handy job .
    are they yours

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭wicklow newbie

Yes, Sun 23rd only
    Love the handles

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Yes, Sun 23rd only
    Both lovely , which knifemaker and has he a website, i would love one like the second ,a very handy knife for rabbits etc .

Dont think much of the consultants hands , no need for a skinner with those shovels, but really nice knives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    Not mine JW, I was on a hunt for elm knife handles. I like the looks of the first knife also.

Macadam, the shovels belong to: http://swc-handmade-knives.com/

if the first blade was as in the second knife with the short handle ,now that would be a fine bit of kit .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭davymoore

Yes, Sat 22nd only
    4" / 100mm Blade
    1/8" / 3mm thick
    Pathfinder Profile
    Full Tang
    Stainless (laminated) to suit climate
    Flat Grind

Moving along nicely

and looking at handles again ......

needs-handle.jpg

Anyone feeling creative ?

Yes, Sat 22nd only
    Did anyone pick up on the absence of finger guards or Pommels on the last 2 knives posted by Double Barrell ?

Do we want these features on our knife or would you prefer to go without them?

Also while I'm at it I'd like to point out that while I 100% prefer the look and feel of a natural material such as a nice piece of burl wood, it's important to note that such handles are not dishwasher safe. I don't know if this matters to you or not but it is worth bearing in mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Offy

davymoore wrote: »
    Did anyone pick up on the absence of finger guards or Pommels on the last 2 knives posted by Double Barrell ?

Do we want these features on our knife or would you prefer to go without them?

Also while I'm at it I'd like to point out that while I 100% prefer the look and feel of a natural material such as a nice piece of burl wood, it's important to note that such handles are not dishwasher safe. I don't know if this matters to you or not but it is worth bearing in mind.

I think a finger guard is important, Id hate for the knife to slip and it not have a finger guard. As for dishwasher safe, I never use a dishwasher for a hunting knife, I clean it in the field after I use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 jjmcnulty

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    This is my first post on this thread but I ave been following it and the knife is coming along nicely. With reference to a finger guard I do think that it is a must for safety but I do think that it can also be nicely designed.

Cheers, J.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭triskell

Class knives, especially the profile of the second, if it was a bit bigger, as to the handles IMO Elm is the way to go, I never put my knives in the dishwasher so not an issue for me, +1 for finger guards bad, bad experience (bloody handle +no guard+ rain = 18 stiches and tetnus injection

• Advertisement

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    A small finger guard - not to exceed the dimensions of the handle or bolster on the sides or top.

Yes, Sat 22nd only
    Something like this ?

hashandle.jpg

Yup, looking good.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭lordarpad

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    Something like this ?

hashandle.jpg

darker wood and finer guard rounde and in yellow (brass?), not white. And visible pommel in same metal maybe ...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,950 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Would make the lower partof the grip ,where your fingers wrap around a bit deeper,to facilitate better grip for us big handed folk.:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    Something like this, visible pommel and bolster / guard ?

img0539s.jpg

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    Point of Balance: A finger width back from the tang/handle junction.

I think this knife could be made in 3 or more versions: Field, deluxe field and a presentation/collector with Suminagashi steel and assorted bells and whistles.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭lordarpad

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    Point of Balance: A finger width back from the tang/handle junction.

sounds good to me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    Hi,

Would bronze work for the finger guard and pins rather than brass?? Or would it be impractical??

How about Hazel for the handle with a clear coat??

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    "Would bronze work for the finger guard and pins rather than brass??"

Bronze only oxidises superficially; once the surface oxidises, the thin oxide layer protects the underlying metal from further corrosion and the oxidation leaves a very nice patina.....

Other Bolster material to consider: Stainless Steel, 304 SS, nickel silver, brass, copper....... ?

Item100B2Angle.2.jpg

• Advertisement

Yes, Sat 22nd only
    I've managed to track down some wych elm from a guy who makes fancy pens. He has agreed to sell me some.

Does anyone NOT want this material or are there other options before I order some.

Should this be voted on ?

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    I've managed to track down some wych elm from a guy who makes fancy pens. He has agreed to sell me some.

Does anyone NOT want this material or are there other options before I order some.

Should this be voted on ?

Wych Elm gets the thumbs up from me, might be worth a vote doe just to keep everyone happy. It could end up saving you a few quid

can we not use plastic .
    DB the blade on the last knife is prefect crap handle but.
    only joking ,elm would be lovely

Elm for the handle and brass hand guard dose it for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Offy

I also like Elm for a knife handle, a brass finger guard and pins sound good to me too.

made from a old 2 pence coin

Yes, Sun 23rd only
    Wych Elm should be fine ,some lovely examples of elm knife scales on www.knifebargains.co.uk

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    I am comfortable with the brass bolsters as a finger guard on this knife, does not get in the way and just enough that you know where your finger is in relation to the blade. My index finger can ride the top of the blade when working inside the carcass.

Damascus & Buff Horn
    huntingknife111.th.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Smokeyskelton

Maybe, I don't know yet.
    Hi, it's great to see the progress of this project. Sorry I haven't been on for a while, but you've been doing great without me ;), probably much better in fact. Can't believe I've missed another vote.

Do you have any pics of a sample of the wych elm proposed? It would be great if there was a nice burl (if that's how it's spelled).

Wych elm can be nice (from looking up web), but it's a pity it's not an Irish species (seeing as all our elms died:(). On the other hand if you get a genuinely good deal on the wood it could bring down the cost. The other proposals such as blackthorn would keep the handle closer to the brief of an Irish knife. The shillelagh (spelling again) connection would be good, but I don't know about it's suitability as a handle material, but the hardness should be good.

Double Barrell's picture of the horn knife has a nice bulge on the handle, and I think this gives a nice place to grip the handle with your index finger. I have the Fallkniven TK1, and I think it's a good feature. On the other hand different people have different hands, so what fits one index finger might not fit another.

Double Barrell, are you proposing a large (possibly concave) ricasso? It might be practical for some, but aesthetically I'm not sure about it. However, that's a matter for personal taste, and I'm sure other's can chip in. I hope you don't mind me chipping in on your post, as I'm aware I haven't contributed much to the thread. :)

• Advertisement

Yes, Sun 23rd only
    This thread seems to have gone a bit quiet , any outcome on the material for the handle Davy , lets keep this going .

Advertisement