Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards.ie Factions Server 1.3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Has he played on our server?
    If he's saying that theres more on boards then he hasn't.
    If he has played on our server, then he's lying.
    Simple.

Don't talk about me as if i'm not here :P

No i haven't played on that server Killer :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

Kenno90 wrote: »
    I think its because there is nothing stopping you guys from collecting loads of resources and then changes to a warring faction, giving an unfair advantage
    I don't think they are being hunted, I just feel that the current system does not work.

Neutrals should not be a separate player base but rather anyone within the safe zone, That means that everyone can build normally within the safe zone while also being able to participate in factions when ever they want without having to ask admins to switch you back and forth:)
    Can you tell me the people who switch back and forth? I've been neutral since day one and always will be, so why should I have to suffer because of others?
    Maybe add in so that once you become neutral, you can't switch back? But I've yet to see someone go neutral then fight again.
    Oh, and for the record up until last week there were only 3 neutral players in total. Complain about someone else ruining the server, it isn't the people who've always been neutral.

And as for the safe zone, why should we be limited to where we can go on the map? If this was imposed on any other faction (telling them they can't explore and have to live in a certain place), there would be a massive outrage. I say get rid of the people who've just become neutral if you're really all that concerned about people wanting to switch.
    cidmon wrote: »
    yet they picked to play on a factions server neutality should not exist
    Of course it should! When a world war happens, you don't see every country in the world taking a side.
    Furthermore, this server has been a survival server for almost 2 years, where everyone was neutral. It's been factions for less than a month, it's still more a survival server than it is a factions one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

Botulism wrote: »
    Can you tell me the people who switch back and forth? I've been neutral since day one and always will be, so why should I have to suffer because of others?
    Maybe add in so that once you become neutral, you can't switch back? But I've yet to see someone go neutral then fight again.
    Oh, and for the record up until last week there were only 3 neutral players in total. Complain about someone else ruining the server, it isn't the people who've always been neutral.

And as for the safe zone, why should we be limited to where we can go on the map? If this was imposed on any other faction (telling them they can't explore and have to live in a certain place), there would be a massive outrage. I say get rid of the people who've just become neutral if you're really all that concerned about people wanting to switch.

Of course it should! When a world war happens, you don't see every country in the world taking a side.
    Furthermore, this server has been a survival server for almost 2 years, where everyone was neutral. It's been factions for less than a month, it's still more a survival server than it is a factions one.

No one has a problem with neutrals, It is the system that is flawed.

People want to build things without having them disappear overnight. Currently we can not without being neutral. This is the problem. It can be fixed by having a large safe zone in which pvp is disabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 gaynormark0

well this all blew up rather quickly however i still believe that gavs suggestions 2/3 pages back were the most fitting to the servers needs . also the obsidian being blown up after a certain amount of blast sounds pretty awesome. no more impenetrable bases :P:D

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Xenon560

But what if for example I want to just build something pretty for a few hours? I could leave faction, Then rejoin later but that is a very clunky approach to the issue. I honestly don't see a problem with people storing their valuables in this area, As long as the faction does not consider the area home then most of the important stuff will be with them.

They will obviously need to keep some valuables with them(Armour, Weapons, Tools etc) as otherwise they would need to return to the safe zone anytime they need something which is not exactly practical. Think of it as a back up plan. If a faction gets completely destroyed then they could have some spare resources in the safe zone and could be back in business in a matter of minutes!

Well, we would could make it that once a faction is neutral or not, they can't change. The only way you can change is if you make a new faction completely. We can also make it that switching factions or making another one costs a fair amount (£1500 lets say) to stop people switching back and forth. At the start of the server everyone can have 200-250 to start up their initial faction with 4-5 friends.

Also, if people store stuff in the safe zone, why build a base? Collect stuff, store in safe zone so no one can get it, then raid people without fear of you being raided. So i think ban enderchests and make it so only neutral factions can store in non PvP zone.

I just find that TNT causes more problems that it fixes.

With TNT you either build a TNT proof base or you go neutral, Any other strategy means you lose. With TNT no matter how tall your walls are you just smash a hole in them with a single block of tnt and you are inside. See? This is not very fun. Would you not rather scale the walls with ladders/Enderpearls while attempting not to be seen, Sneaking into the heart of the enemies stronghold while evading traps and then slaughtering everyone?

However, If TNT will be allowed then a fair usage policy must be applied so certain people can not go overboard with the destruction.... ;)

Build a roof or a "lip" and ladders/enderpearls are useless. Yes TNT can blow through walls no matter how high, but as I said, then all you can do is think of new ways to make it harder. All I'm saying is we don't need to build bunkers to prevent TNT attack.

As I said before, if we can somehow make water/lava havee no effect on TNT damage, then cannons would be even more "one time use" as they would blow up when used once.

We could also, if possible, make it that only so much TNT damage can be done by a faction per day. Maybe lets say 14 TNT? That's like 12 for the launch and 2 for damage.

well this all blew up rather quickly however i still believe that gavs suggestions 2/3 pages back were the most fitting to the servers needs . also the obsidian being blown up after a certain amount of blast sounds pretty awesome. no more impenetrable bases :P:D

e31.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23 niallmcs

Xenon560 wrote: »
    As I said before, if we can somehow make water/lava havee no effect on TNT damage

That would render tnt/sand cannons unusable.

No one has a problem with neutrals, It is the system that is flawed.

People want to build things without having them disappear overnight. Currently we can not without being neutral. This is the problem. It can be fixed by having a large safe zone in which pvp is disabled.

A peaceful faction has PVP disabled in it's territory.

niallmcs wrote: »
    That would render tnt/sand cannons unusable.

Would it? Surely it would still work, but would just blow up the cannon too in the process, meaning you had to rebuild it each time.

• Advertisement

Would it? Surely it would still work, but would just blow up the cannon too in the process, meaning you had to rebuild it each time.

That wouldn't be very useful considering you'd only get one shot

Botulism wrote: »
    A peaceful faction has PVP disabled in it's territory.

Maybe you have misunderstood me.

I am talking about the non neutral factions, If I want to just chill and build for a few hours without the risk of dying then I should be able to without having to leave my faction and join another. Or If I just want to hang our with the other players on the server without fearing they try and kill me I also should be able to.

This has nothing to do with the current neutrals, Nothing will change other than that within a certain distance from spawn everyone is considered a neutral.

How is this a bad thing? Some people will not be in the mood for pvp, Or will want a taste of what it is like so they will venture out into the wilderness or return to spawn, It creates options rather than barriers and allows for a more fluid experience.

That wouldn't be very useful considering you'd only get one shot

exactly, preventing people from spamming it

I am talking about the non neutral factions, If I want to just chill and build for a few hours without the risk of dying then I should be able to without having to leave my faction and join another. Or If I just want to hang our with the other players on the server without fearing they try and kill me I also should be able to.

This has nothing to do with the current neutrals, Nothing will change other than that within a certain distance from spawn everyone is considered a neutral.

How is this a bad thing? Some people will not be in the mood for pvp, Or will want a taste of what it is like so they will venture out into the wilderness or return to spawn, It creates options rather than barriers and allows for a more fluid experience.

Don't understand the issue. Don't make a new faction, just pop-off to the neutral zone and build and hang out with others.

I was referring to the people who were saying neutral factions need to be removed completely from the game, your idea is fine in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭tiptopgolfy

Rather than just arguing did it ever occur to anyone to suggest that one of the mods goes to play on another faction server?

They can then see how that server runs the show and maybe add features they like to this server.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Roorah

I just built a new pc yesterday, I got an SSD and a standard drive. Is there anyway to change the default directory for minecraft? Keeps saving to the ssd

Rather than just arguing did it ever occur to anyone to suggest that one of the mods goes to play on another faction server?

They can then see how that server runs the show and maybe add features they like to this server.

Im actually trying out the one cid and niall are on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭-( i )- Wicker

Roorah wrote: »
    I just built a new pc yesterday, I got an SSD and a standard drive. Is there anyway to change the default directory for minecraft? Keeps saving to the ssd

You could use MultiMC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Well this picked up quickly.

The difference between our server and other factions servers is we're trying to offer more than just factions. We're acting as if we're a survival/faction server.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Indubitable

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    Well this picked up quickly.

3ohqu7.jpg

• Advertisement

I'll see you there ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

Good movie.....

Somebody on the server suggested we all go on teamspeak and sort this out once and for all rather that spamming this forum with stupid arguments!

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭nimrod86

Somebody on the server suggested we all go on teamspeak and sort this out once and for all rather that spamming this forum with stupid arguments!

Misé :D

Good idea ... :)

I can turn down the volume on people I don't agree with :P

• Registered Users Posts: 22 gaynormark0

it would make the whole whining thing a lot easier :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Is there a TS/mumble server?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭Farcheal

Oh... I'm sorry for using a discussion forum... to discuss something. :confused:

Farcheal wrote: »
    Oh... I'm sorry for using a discussion forum... to discuss something. :confused:

Farcheal lets not kid ourselves this is blabber of the highest order rather than a discussion!

Farcheal wrote: »

He made a suggestion. Don't take offence.

• Advertisement

Could we install this plugin:
    http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/edit-misc-tp-fun-multiverse-2-3-world-management-bukkitdev.3707/

That way we could have one world for factions and one for creations!

Could we install this plugin:
    http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/edit-misc-tp-fun-multiverse-2-3-world-management-bukkitdev.3707/

That way we could have one world for factions and one for creations!

You really overestimate how powerful this server is if you think we can use that.

Diplomatic tensions are rising inside AWEs base thanks to me!

I see that WorldPainter(link) can generate 1.3.1 worlds now.. Any artists out there want to design a good factions world?:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭kronnn

Diplomatic tensions are rising inside AWEs base thanks to me!

You mean because you keep cheating by glitching out of places and logging off whenever someone tries to kill you?

I see that WorldPainter(link) can generate 1.3.1 worlds now.. Any artists out there want to design a good factions world?:)

I might actually give it a go. Need ideas first

I might actually give it a go. Need ideas first

I've been trying but I lack any artistic ability:P

The initial idea before the server went live was we would have a large main land surrounded by smaller islands.

Spawn would be on one of the islands
    Each faction would have a base an island.
    Factions would eventually need to move out into the mainland to gather resources.

The spawn island would need to contain a flat area to hold spawn town.

----

From using the tool I noticed you can change the frequency that you find diamond, I would suggest changing it to a much lower value. Diamond should be something worth fighting over(The mainland) rather than being able sustain yourself for a lifetime on the islands.

Yeah, I'll try make it so that there are few resources on the islands.
    Maybe even no diamond?

What about resources on non PvP island?

Yeah, I'll try make it so that there are few resources on the islands.
    Maybe even no diamond?

What about resources on non PvP island?

Hmm.

It depends on how big the island is.

If it is big enough to hold the non pvp factions and also hold a large spawn town then I would suggestion either go with the normal rate of resources or with enough support from the non pvp community lower the rates to allow for a more interesting experience.

If the rates were higher and only neutrals could mine in the area(Is it possible to set it so non neutrals could not mine but still build/landscape in spawn?) then neutral run shops could have an advantage when selling material which would be interesting...

• Advertisement

Hmm, that would be good, I'm sure it would be possible
    World dimensions? I was thinking about 3,800x3,800

Also, can you change spawn point once ingame, coz you cant chose where it is in this

Hmm, that would be good, I'm sure it would be possible
    World dimensions? I was thinking about 3,800x3,800

Also, can you change spawn point once ingame, coz you cant chose where it is in this

yes you can change spawns, and 5000x5000 is what we have now, and some people think that's small, so maybe stick with it or go higher, not lower!

5 faction islands?

How about a limited number of factions in game? This would prevent having a load of tiny factions/Ensures factions stay alive and would also mean a faction gets an island each.

I would suggest 8 islands if possible within your design Xenon.

If we still enforce the 5 member limit and have some of the 1 man factions merge then we are beyond 5 faction island.

Edit: Set Spawn is under the Height button.

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii240/xenon560/Factions.png

This is it so far. Obviously I will add more features/biomes etc.

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii240/xenon560/Factions.png

This is it so far. Obviously I will add more features/biomes etc.

So is this happening? Are we doing a map reset for this

If we are I suggest having a huge jungle in the centre

• Advertisement

So is this happening? Are we doing a map reset for this

If we are I suggest having a huge jungle in the centre

Well there is no word from Dec yet but I can't see why we shouldn't :pac:

How about a large crater in spawn to be used as a spleef arena for non factions pvp?

It's not official, but it's fun making the map anyway.

So, thoughts?

It's not official, but it's fun making the map anyway.

So, thoughts?

Good base to work with.

Islands seem to be fairly sized and relatively equal except for 2, Which seems to be a bit larger than the rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭kronnn

Good base to work with.

Islands seem to be fairly sized and relatively equal except for 2, Which seems to be a bit larger than the rest.

Its not game-changingley larger than the rest, you have to remember that larger island = more space for resources etc, but also more space to have to defend.

Well done xen, I am loving this custom map!!! Keep it up!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement