Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Knex. wrote: »
    Its more likely that Mettenberger is out of the league, or a number 2 QB, before Rivers is. And I say that as someone who liked what I saw of Mett last year, tbh.

Franchise QB's are bloody hard to get.

So happy I;m a packers fan tbh!! from one hall of famer to another when he retires

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Ah the Packers

Traded away 3 time pro bowler Mark Brunell
    Cut 6th round pick Matt Hassleback as they didn't need him
    Cut Kurt Warner during training camp

Different GM's and scouting teams in Green Bay found these players, how?? :mad:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

What use is a franchise QB fir 1 season? Remember no guarantee he'd re-up with the Titans. Either way it's mid table mediocrity at best for 2 or r years? What does they do except remove The titans from the equation of an elite QB is available in the draft

Roll the dice with Mett, if he fails miserably at least you are in a good position to draft a replacement

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Billy86 wrote: »
    I like Mettenberger. His ceiling is not higher than Rivers.

I'll come back to this when Mett bests Rivers best ever season..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,671 ✭✭✭nerd69

What use is a franchise QB fir 1 season? Remember no guarantee he'd re-up with the Titans. Either way it's mid table mediocrity at best for 2 or r years? What does they do except remove The titans from the equation of an elite QB is available in the draft

Roll the dice with Mett, if he fails miserably at least you are in a good position to draft a replacement

ya i agree if rivers was 27-28 i may consider it but right now no way i give up the no. 2 overall for him. the only reason i would give a first is if I'm the cards or the bills and i have everything bar a qb.

additionally I think rivers is an awesome player but theres no guarantee he gets this titans team into the playoffs never mind have them contending. if i was the titans gm i shop the hell out of my pick (when its only a two qb draft you have to think at least one team will get stupid and throw picks at them) or else take best player available.

if whisenhunt is comfortable with mariota (and by all accounts he prefers a pocket qb) go with him if not probably williams. if the bucs take mariota i would pounce on winston wouldn't even take time to listen to offers but I seem to be higher on him than most.

• Advertisement

ahh no need to leave forever mate :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,648 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Raf32 wrote: »
    Rivers is a top 6 QB. I have no doubt that with him and a good draft, they could easily make the playoffs in the rubbish AFC South.
    Top 6?

I have nine ahead of him, Brady, Rodgers, Peyton, Brees, Wilson, Luck and Roethlisberger without question. I'd have Eli and Flacco ahead of him too because they have proven themselves in the playoffs.

He is on the same level as Matt Ryan, Ryan Tannehill and a couple of others.

@nerd the Titans don't have enough talent to make the playoffs with Rivers, may a Brady or a Rodgers.

Get a prime defensive player and help Mett by having the D force stops.

Time will tell

eagle eye wrote: »
    Top 6?

I have at least seven head of him, Brady, Rodgers, Peyton, Brees, Wilson, Luck and Roethlisberger. I'd have Eli and Flacco ahead of him too because they have proven themselves in the playoffs.

ahhhh stop now he's better than eli for sure. id argue hes a similar level to wilson and roethlisberger and below brady, rogers, luck. who knows how peyton and breed will perform this year. i have no idea how to grade flacco he's an enigma to me. and id have him wayyy ahead of ryan and ryan for now

Eli has how many rings?
    At the end of the day that's what Qbs are measured on

• Advertisement

@nerd the Titans don't have enough talent to make the playoffs with Rivers, may a Brady or a Rodgers.

Get a prime defensive player and help Mett by having the D force stops.

Time will tell

thats what i mean. out of curiosity if you where titans gm would you stick with mett over winston?

nerd69 wrote: »
    thats what i mean. out of curiosity if you where titans gm would you stick with mett over winston?

Yes.. But I'd take winston over mariota

Eli has how many rings?

to be a pedant on the matter are you saying brad johnson, trent differ and joe namath are better than marino, jim kelly

is eli better than peyton

rings is a terrible way to measure any player

If it came down to picking someone to win you a ring, I'd take the guy that's done it already over the guy who plays above average for most of the season.

Yeah rings are not the be all and end all, but what has Rivers done that makes him top 6?

If it came down to picking someone to win you a ring, I'd take the guy that's done it already over the guy who plays above average for most of the season.

Yeah rings are not the be all and end all, but what has Rivers done that makes him top 6?

I'm not necessarily saying he's top 6 but he's better than some of the mentioned above but he's got 252 tds to 122 interceptions, 250 career yards per game 95.7 career qbr.

i dont think rivers is a hall of fame qb or anything but he's been an awesome qb

and i still dont think the Super Bowl rings are a good way to judge qbs. sure there there are a few qbs that get **** hot in the playoffs (eli/flacco) but no way in hell do i pick dilfer over marino or eli over payton or brad johonson over donavan mcnabb the list goes on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Barney92

I agree with Heli. With Rivers they might have an outside chance at the playoffs. Although they'd still have to get past the Colts. The Texans would also have a thing or two to say about it. They'd get a couple of years out of Rivers, if he signed a new deal but at a very high price. He'd be the highest paid on the team, and they'd have missed out on one or two rookies this year. I think it would make sense for a team that was simply a quarterback away from challenging for a title, or at least to get deep into the playoffs. Houston, or possibly the Bengals would become contenders in my book if they had someone like Rivers throwing the ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭NotASheeple

is eli better than peyton

When it matters most? Then yes. Eli might be dire at times but he hasn't choked the way Peyton has. He is a much better post season QB, Peyton is a much better regular season QB. But at the end of the day, regular season stats mean nothing. Because rings matter and it's the reason every kid puts on a football helmet. To be a Superbowl champion.

When it matters most? Then yes. Eli might be dire at times but he hasn't choked the way Peyton has. He is a much better post season QB, Peyton is a much better regular season QB. But at the end of the day, regular season stats mean nothing. Because rings matter and it's the reason every kid puts on a football helmet. To be a Superbowl champion.

so your telling me if you where a gm and had the number one pick now and had a choice between a young peyton and a young eli to build your franchise around you would pick eli?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Eli has how many rings?

Jeff Hostetler and Brad Johnson are each better than Dan Marino, so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭NotASheeple

so your telling me if you where a gm and had the number one pick now and had a choice between a young peyton and a young eli to build your franchise around you would pick eli?

I wouldn't pick either of them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Perfect. When Mettenberger puts up a season like Rivers did in 2010 with a laundry list of injuries at WR/TE forcing them to sign guys off the street every few weeks, the 26th ranked offensive line in terms of pass blocking, and an average-at-best running game behind him... yeah, please do get back to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭skippymac6

I think you have to factor in Wisenhunt's position here. He is coming off a very uneventful couple of years and this is most likely the make or break year in his head coach career. Bomb out this year and he could find himself in the wilderness a bit. He hasn't kicked on from the Cards SB appearance as a head coach. He could certainly get an OC job but I don't think that's where he sees himself. I think he knows this and given the opportunity to take a 7.5/8 out of 10 QB who has proven himself ahead of a guy that might be a 8/9 out of 10 or equally could be 3 out of 10 (whether that's Mettenberger or Winston/Mariota), I think you'd be wise to take Rivers. 6 or 7 games into the season and after the great win against the Hawks, Rivers was being talked up as the early MVP runner. I think people forget that. He's a very emotional guy who will bring a big locker room presence in there and immediately establish himself as a leader and the face of the franchise. The Titans have been middling since teh days of George and McNair. I think you take Rivers. I agree it is a gamble but you don't turn your nose up at franchise QB's when they come around, even if he might have 5 years or less left.

I wouldn't pick either of them.

good god are you a politician :D

if they where clearly the two best players in the draft and you needed a qb

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I like Rivers as a QB. I think he has been excellent for the chargers, even if he has had a few down seasons. I'd much prefer him to Mettenberger. I can't imagine him ever being a franchise QB, has more the look of a career backup to be honest.

I thought Rivers was really good in 2013 and if he could deliver that level of performance then the Titans should really pull the trigger on a trade. However I wouldn't give up their first round pick, maybe a 2nd round in 2015 and a second in 2015 or something like that.

2013 he had 4400 yards, 32 TD's and 11 Picks. Even last year he wasn't terrible, 4200/31/18. I think he'd be very good for the Titans.

Billy86 wrote: »
    Perfect. When Mettenberger puts up a season like Rivers did in 2010 with a laundry list of injuries at WR/TE forcing them to sign guys off the street every few weeks, the 26th ranked offensive line in terms of pass blocking, and an average-at-best running game behind him... yeah, please do get back to me.

And what did his excellent 2010 year do for the Chargers? Not a thing of note, Chargers missed the play offs and have missed the play offs 4 of the last 5 seasons.

While 2010 he had injuries, yes he performed well. If the Titans were getting the 2010 Rivers and had a few more years i'd snap their hand off, they can take the 2nd overall pick but thats not the Rivers we're getting.

We'd get the Rivers 5 years older, 5 years more hits, sacks, bad falls and injures.

I roll the dice with Mett, younger, perhaps hungrier, not in a contract year, has his whole career ahead of him, can benefit from what should be a much more potent defense.

Perhaps i was a bit bullish on Metts potential being greater than Rivers accomplishments, but in the same vain Mett may break QB records here and there but its all about getting to the play offs, that is what counts.

Also every team gets injuries.. We did sign people off the street last year Will Svitek anyone :pac:

adrian522 wrote: »
    I like Rivers as a QB. I think he has been excellent for the chargers, even if he has had a few down seasons. I'd much prefer him to Mettenberger. I can't imagine him ever being a franchise QB, has more the look of a career backup to be honest.

I thought Rivers was really good in 2013 and if he could deliver that level of performance then the Titans should really pull the trigger on a trade. However I wouldn't give up their first round pick, maybe a 2nd round in 2015 and a second in 2015 or something like that.

2013 he had 4400 yards, 32 TD's and 11 Picks. Even last year he wasn't terrible, 4200/31/18. I think he'd be very good for the Titans.

Sample size is too small to make that determination.

I think Adrian if the trade terms were changed to what you have their, it makes a trade much more realistic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Trade for Rivers, trade for Peterson. Superbowl!

Trade for Rivers, trade for Peterson. Superbowl!

drool :eek: the thought of peterson to the cowboys still scares the crap out of me any team outside the nfc east take him please

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

drool :eek: the thought of peterson to the cowboys still scares the crap out of me any team outside the nfc east take him please

Ah Jesus :(

Hadn't even crossed my mind till now.

Crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

eagle eye wrote: »
    Top 6?

I have nine ahead of him, Brady, Rodgers, Peyton, Brees, Wilson, Luck and Roethlisberger without question. I'd have Eli and Flacco ahead of him too because they have proven themselves in the playoffs.

Same level as Tannehill!?........... you're kidding right?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement