Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chargers Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

phatkev wrote: »
    any opinions on Marcus Gilchrist here, think he's fairly close to signing with the Jets

Agree with Leslie, he was a starter for us but i think he really is a very good back up.
    I always thought he was a pretty good blitzer the few times we sent him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

OAOB wrote: »
    Agree with Leslie, he was a starter for us but i think he really is a very good back up.
    I always thought he was a pretty good blitzer the few times we sent him

Also think it's telling that Tommy T seemingly didn't bother trying to re-sign him too. He was a guy we had to make do with rather than look on as our starter at SS. He is a worker though i.e. brings the right attitude to the game, just doesn't have the tools necessary.

I reckon the Saints would be very reluctant to let Stills go, they're trying to trade players due to cap hell but he was a 5th round pick so i can't imagine he's costing them that much.
    I think they're really just interested in off loading the high cap guys. It would have been nice to pick up someone for a good trade price off them but their defence was **** so not much to be had there. I liked Kenny Vacaro when he was coming out but i see he's been very inconsistent for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭phatkev

balls was hoping he'd be an instant starter! did he play FS or SS after moving from CB?

balls was hoping he'd be an instant starter! did he play FS or SS after moving from CB?

Mostly SS, might be better suited to FS but we have Weddle there

Mainly SS but (hands apart) he should probably have been a FS. But without the hands and us having a certain Mr Weddle there there was no hope of him being a FS per se. He worked as a slot corner on occasion too. Just a real average player imho. Not good enough to be a starter in the league for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭phatkev

cool, free safety is a pretty big need in NY. So he's not going to add to many INTs to the massive 6 we had last season:o

cool, free safety is a pretty big need in NY. So he's not going to add to many INTs to the massive 6 we had last season:o

Ha ha not a chance, he can't even catch a cold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭tripperman

stills is now a dolphins player, so who is tt bringing in at wr

• Advertisement

Stills went for a 3rd round pick and Ellerbe, I'd be pissed if we had given up similar

Stills went for a 3rd round pick and Ellerbe, I'd be pissed if we had given up similar

Donald Butler and a 4th rounder maybe!?...

Of the guys being talked about Stevie Johnson sounds like he might be best option but I see he is in New England today. It is not like TT to let a FA visit and then go somewhere else so you have to think he's a longshot. Crabtree is intriguing... if Rivers/the coaching staff could get through to him he certainly has some talent but not sure he is the speed merchant we need.

any one kniw anything about jimmy wilson that signed over the weekend, i knows an sd native seen him play once for the dolphins he looked ok,

tripperman wrote: »
    any one kniw anything about jimmy wilson that signed over the weekend, i knows an sd native seen him play once for the dolphins he looked ok,

Must admit don't know a lot about him. Seems a bit on the small side for a SS but you know what if he's at least as good as Gilly (who was not up to much) then I'm ok with it. I'm looking for Addae to improve enough to win the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

Uh oh, please God we don't do anything stupid with Rivers... Sounds like LA isn't appealing to him and TT refusing to rule out trading Philip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

Where are you getting that?

• Advertisement

Molly wrote: »
    Where are you getting that?

Kevin Acee UT... Rivers said he will let his contract run out, while TT refused to rule out the idea of a trade.

Rochey18 wrote: »
    Kevin Acee UT... Rivers said he will let his contract run out, while TT refused to rule out the idea of a trade.

Yeah Twitter went bananas last nite with this story. It got some real legs when Kaplan mentioned it on the radio. It went from Philip saying he didn't plan on signing an extension before the season as he wasn't enamoured with a possible move to LA to.... there might be talk of a trade with Titans as they have pick 2 (and whiz of course). I even saw it mentioned that to get pick 2 we'd need to give up Rivers and our own no. 1 which is bleedin mental.

I can't see it happening. I still say Rivers plays out the end of his career as a Charger. I'm even getting more optimistic about us staying in SD. TT I guess is just doing due diligence in case worst scenario comes to pass i.e. we're forced to trade him due to (1) a great offer from Titans and (2) Philip being adamant he ain't willing to play in LA and (3) we're going to LA.

Leslie91 wrote: »
    Yeah Twitter went bananas last nite with this story. It got some real legs when Kaplan mentioned it on the radio. It went from Philip saying he didn't plan on signing an extension before the season as he wasn't enamoured with a possible move to LA to.... there might be talk of a trade with Titans as they have pick 2 (and whiz of course). I even saw it mentioned that to get pick 2 we'd need to give up Rivers and our own no. 1 which is bleedin mental.

I can't see it happening. I still say Rivers plays out the end of his career as a Charger. I'm even getting more optimistic about us staying in SD. TT I guess is just doing due diligence in case worst scenario comes to pass i.e. we're forced to trade him due to (1) a great offer from Titans and (2) Philip being adamant he ain't willing to play in LA and (3) we're going to LA.

i dont see that trade happening, matiota or any of the other qbs after him are not going be able to lead the chargers team for at least 3 seasons there not pro ready, i think its rivers just putting it out there for the fans to know he wants to stay in SD and hes looking for word on the plans on the franchises future before signing a new deal

It sounded to me that he is ready to retire more so then leaving SD, he has a huge family and doesn't want to move it seems.

QB class this year is poor anyway. Remember we can franchise tag him next year if we wish.

It sounded to me that he is ready to retire more so then leaving SD, he has a huge family and doesn't want to move it seems.

QB class this year is poor anyway. Remember we can franchise tag him next year if we wish.

Yes but like you say if it came to it i.e. franchise tag only option and we are in LA he will probably just call it quits.

• Advertisement

Unrein is a meh signing if ever I saw one...

could draft better i thought, steve johnson could be a good signing at wr

could draft better i thought, steve johnson could be a good signing at wr

Yeah I reckon Johnson is prob best of an avg lot left at WR. One guy did intrigue me though, Denarius Moore, ex Raider. I always liked the look of him, would love to see what he could do with a QB like Rivers. Y'all heard we went after Andre Johnson hard too.

I like the S. Johnson signing, has had a nice career while stuck with bad QBs.

Denarius Moore always did well against us but heard he was hugely inconsistent so we must have just been constantly seeing him on a good day

Patrick Robinson coming in. Former 1st round pick (ala Antoine Cason of course, so might not mean much!).

Ex Saint... don't know a lot about him. Average to poor career to date. Change of scenery might do him good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Unrein is a solid depth/rotational guy - he won't show up on the stats but you will notice his play on the field. I'm sorry to see him leave the Broncos for a divisional rival.

Unrein is a solid depth/rotational guy - he won't show up on the stats but you will notice his play on the field. I'm sorry to see him leave the Broncos for a divisional rival.

Good to know JRG thanks for stopping by. I see you've picked up Reggie Walker. He tries hard, and has some tools but is v much a back up and a tad undersized.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Good to know JRG thanks for stopping by. I see you've picked up Reggie Walker. He tries hard, and has some tools but is v much a back up and a tad undersized.

Walker is intended as a back up at ILB to Trevathan and Marshall - both of whom have injury issues. And undersized LB is workable in the defensive scheme of Phillips.

was reading yesterday were the san diego stadium task force wants money from ticket sales, car parking, merchandise sales to fund the stadium, just a basic stadium no bells or whistles, ill share a link letter on today, but that would leave very little funds for good coaches and medic staff

What ever deal we go with, it will be in the best interest of the Chargers, The Spanos are good owners and can be trusted.

• Advertisement

Massive if, but if Mariota fell to the browns at 12, would you take a trade of 12 and 19 for Rivers?

If I was the Browns I would just take MM at 12 but playing devil's advocate. They are desperate to get the QB position correct.

Massive if, but if Mariota fell to the browns at 12, would you take a trade of 12 and 19 for Rivers?

If I was the Browns I would just take MM at 12 but playing devil's advocate. They are desperate to get the QB position correct.

Nope. But if they offered their 12 and 19 this year and next years no. 1 I might think about it.

Hate the idea of trading Rivers, think he's good for another few years. Unless he's told TT that he's not going to LA or if he's indicating that he's not committed to SD then we don't even consider a trade.
    Players like Weddle, Gates, Liuget would be seriously pissed and considering they're all up for renewal it's not a good idea.
    Also MM wouldn't be too happy about having to completely rebuild an offense with a rookie QB and likely rookie RB.
    IF we do trade him I'd be raging if it wasn't for two first round picks

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Prefab Sprouter

I think its a regressive move, getting rid of Rivers. Like OAOB said, I think he's good for another few years. I can't believe that they would pull the trigger on this, it doesnt seem to make sense. Having said that, as a Raiders fan, I'd love to see him go to another division!!! ;)

Hate the idea of trading Rivers, think he's good for another few years. Unless he's told TT that he's not going to LA or if he's indicating that he's not committed to SD then we don't even consider a trade.
    Players like Weddle, Gates, Liuget would be seriously pissed and considering they're all up for renewal it's not a good idea.
    Also MM wouldn't be too happy about having to completely rebuild an offense with a rookie QB and likely rookie RB.
    IF we do trade him I'd be raging if it wasn't for two first round picks

I agree, I'd hate to see him traded. But like u say if it has to happen I'd be wanting minimum two 1st rounders and they'd need to be top 10 picks.

Alright lads not long now.... tell me who you'd like us to pick at #17, be realistic in terms of who you think will be on the board when we are picking. For example I am assuming the likes of DT Williams, WR Cooper and OG Scherff will all be gone.

Some names that might be there - DT Brown, Goldman, "Diggy". OL - Flowers, Clemmings, Collins, Peat, Cann, Jackson, Tomlinson. RB - Gurley/Gordon. OLB - Gregory, Armstead. CB - Waynes, Jones, Peters.

Alright lads not long now.... tell me who you'd like us to pick at #17, be realistic in terms of who you think will be on the board when we are picking. For example I am assuming the likes of DT Williams, WR Cooper and OG Scherff will all be gone.

Some names that might be there - DT Brown, Goldman, "Diggy". OL - Flowers, Clemmings, Collins, Peat, Cann, Jackson, Tomlinson. RB - Gurley/Gordon. OLB - Gregory, Armstead. CB - Waynes, Jones, Peters.

I think flowers will be gone by 17, would like Goldman or Wayne's, wouldn't complain if they took Gordon but wouldn't be my preference over dt, as long as its not olb Gregory I wouldn't chance him after several failed drug test now, clemmings on o line would be nice building block and so would Wayne's at cb, if he developed well over season think how strong the db would be with him flowers, verret and weedle

I think flowers will be gone by 17, would like Goldman or Wayne's, wouldn't complain if they took Gordon but wouldn't be my preference over dt, as long as its not olb Gregory I wouldn't chance him after several failed drug test now, clemmings on o line would be nice building block and so would Wayne's at cb, if he developed well over season think how strong the db would be with him flowers, verret and weedle

Do u think Brown will be gone?, the DT from Texas.

I've already gone on record saying how much I want Clemmings. He can come in play RT and we move Fluke to RG. We'd have one of the best O lines in football esp run blocking immediately.

Do u think Brown will be gone?, the DT from Texas.

I've already gone on record saying how much I want Clemmings. He can come in play RT and we move Fluke to RG. We'd have one of the best O lines in football esp run blocking immediately.

Yeah I think Brown's take him at 12, that's why I didn't mention him, i rather flowers to clemmings but he will be gone off the boards just ahead of us to saints, am i only one who thinks Jay ajayi the rb from Boise state could be perfect fit in round two for chargers

• Advertisement

I really want us to go O-line in the first as we're one player away from having potentially the best line in the league. Dallas showed how valuable that is to an offense and i would love to see Rivers operate with a proper pocket.
    My pick (biased from BFTB) is TJ Clemmings. For a guy who's only played the position for 3 years to be ranked so highly shows how much natural ability he has.
    I like Gurley but i'm completely against a first round RB. If we can't get Clemmings then i think OLB or NT should be the pick.
    I think the RB depth is enough to wait until the third but it really does come down to how it all develops

I really want us to go O-line in the first as we're one player away from having potentially the best line in the league. Dallas showed how valuable that is to an offense and i would love to see Rivers operate with a proper pocket.
    My pick (biased from BFTB) is TJ Clemmings. For a guy who's only played the position for 3 years to be ranked so highly shows how much natural ability he has.
    I like Gurley but i'm completely against a first round RB. If we can't get Clemmings then i think OLB or NT should be the pick.
    I think the RB depth is enough to wait until the third but it really does come down to how it all develops

If Malcom Brown is there I'd take him, if not then I want O line as there are so many good uns. They cannot all be gone by #17. I see a bleacher report mock today has us trading Rivers and picking Mariota at #2, madness.

I agree on not picking RB in round 1. I'd be v surprised if Telesco hasn't identified another 2nd or 3rd round back who can come in and complement what we have.

I also like the idea of wideout in round 2. Many WRs have been over-hyped so I'm hoping we can spring another Keenan Allen like pick later on.

I don't think wide receiver is a huge priority considering we've signed 3 since the end of last season and only lost Royal and Tutu.
    Dline would be more a luxury pick for us than a huge requirement.
    Biggest gaps in the roster are Olb and RB currently. Whoever we draft at Olb is likely going to have to start a few games this year so has to be within the first 3 rounds. Same for RB. A good OT who can give Rivers time will allow our offense to be good no matter who is at WR

I don't think wide receiver is a huge priority considering we've signed 3 since the end of last season and only lost Royal and Tutu.
    Dline would be more a luxury pick for us than a huge requirement.
    Biggest gaps in the roster are Olb and RB currently. Whoever we draft at Olb is likely going to have to start a few games this year so has to be within the first 3 rounds. Same for RB. A good OT who can give Rivers time will allow our offense to be good no matter who is at WR

I reckon Malcom is gone after this yr and I'd bet he will not play the 16 games so after him we're down to Keenan and Stevie. I don't see Jacoby as a real option at WR. So unless one of the PA guys eg. Herndon or Allen come on then we need another.

We need a speed guy on the outside something we don't have at present. The lad Dorsett from Miami is one the lightning round guys are V high on.

WR just isn't a big enough need to justify anything more than a 5th or 6th pick at most and at that stage its BPA.
    I'm a firm believer in a good QB making good WRs.

These Rivers to Titans rumours aren't going away, i wonder have the Chargers decided they're going to move to LA and know he won't come with them

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Chatter has Defintely increased the last day or 2 m, rumours that Whiz wants him real bad

• Advertisement

In fairness whiz put together an offense that suited him perfectly so easy to see why reuniting would make sense.
    The two big factors are do the Chargers plan to move to LA and how do they rate Mariota. If we don't trade him he still might not play for us next year.

In terms of trade value I hear the titans want rivers and picks for the no.2. I would think they probably are looking at a 3rd rounder and maybe chargers get a 5th or 6th or something like that

Latest is the Bucs will take Mariota over Winston, this gets more loo-lah by the day. I've also heard that it will take Titans no. 1 pick and another pick to get Rivers i.e. we don't give up picks. I reckon this is all BS I can't see Rivers not being here in 2015 whatever about 2106.

To be honest i don't think we're winning a superbowl in 2015 so if he's not going to be around in 2016 and we could get a 1st i'd take it; gives us a better long term chance of success.
    Ideally i'd have Philip playing in San Diego for another 5or6 years

The more I hear about this the more I think Rivers is on the move.... If the correct deal is on the table I think we will take it, would love if there was an Andrew Luck in the draft but doesn't seem that way.

Other then QB I honestly don't mind who we take... I'll be good with who ever and see how it goes,this year's draft seems to be wide open with guys being projected ten or more picks in the difference.

The more I hear about this the more I think Rivers is on the move.... If the correct deal is on the table I think we will take it, would love if there was an Andrew Luck in the draft but doesn't seem that way.

Other then QB I honestly don't mind who we take... I'll be good with who ever and see how it goes,this year's draft seems to be wide open with guys being projected ten or more picks in the difference.

One thing is for sure apart from Leonard Williams this looks like the weakest D line class in years. Even though we've brought in Hairston I'd still like us to go O line in round 1 but it doesn't look that way now, we must have signed about 4 or 5 O linemen in offseason (if we include Dunlap).

If nothing else bringing in Mariota after a trade sure would throw the cat among the pigeons for the Chargers. I can't see it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement