Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC Off Topic Thread (2015/16)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

Anyone done 2012 maths paper 1 qs.7?
    if so can you please tell me how to do part (f).

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭skippy1977

Tricky question - parts (a) and (b) easy and then there is some tricky calculus for (c) and then (d),(e) and (f) require previous answer to solve.
    The (f) part requires the solution to the (e) part.
    If you have solved (e) correctly then v=-27.04 root h

Sub this in for v in the (f) part. You can now divide both sides by root h and solve for c.
    Note, this solutions assumes you have solved the parts up to (f) correctly.

skippy1977 wrote: »
    Tricky question - parts (a) and (b) easy and then there is some tricky calculus for (c) and then (d),(e) and (f) require previous answer to solve.
    The (f) part requires the solution to the (e) part.
    If you have solved (e) correctly then v=-27.04 root h

Sub this in for v in the (f) part. You can now divide both sides by root h and solve for c.
    Note, this solutions assumes you have solved the parts up to (f) correctly.

Thank you, yh I now get how they do it, but why ?
    Why use the answer from the previous, where does it say in the question ?

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭skippy1977

So the key here is 'what is v?'

Well they tell us in part (f) that v is the 'speed of water coming out of a hole like this'
    In part (e) they ask us to find 'the speed of the water coming out of the hole...well they ask us to show it is a multiple of root h...but we must find it to show that.

So we find the speed of the water coming out of the hole in part (e) and it is -27.04 root h....and now that we know this is the speed of the water coming out of the hole (v) we can let this equal to c root 1962h

Tricky. Tricky to explain too so apologies if the above is not that clear. I can post the images of my solution in the afternoon it might look a bit clearer.

skippy1977 wrote: »
    So the key here is 'what is v?'

Well they tell us in part (f) that v is the 'speed of water coming out of a hole like this'
    In part (e) they ask us to find 'the speed of the water coming out of the hole...well they ask us to show it is a multiple of root h...but we must find it to show that.

So we find the speed of the water coming out of the hole in part (e) and it is -27.04 root h....and now that we know this is the speed of the water coming out of the hole (v) we can let this equal to c root 1962h

Tricky. Tricky to explain too so apologies if the above is not that clear. I can post the images of my solution in the afternoon it might look a bit clearer.

Thank you, I completely understand now. You explained it really good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭emersyn

For the aurals in language exams, does anyone know approximately how much time we'll get to read over the questions before the CD starts?

What are peoples thoughts on "effect of IAA on plant tissue" experiment. Recently my teacher told us that its carcinogenic and that she does not expect to see any full experiment qs coming up on it. Well I just had a look at the trend for it. Seems like every 1 year gap it took then came up from 2004. But has not come up since 2012.
    If your still supposed to study it, its bound to come up this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

What are peoples thoughts on "effect of IAA on plant tissue" experiment. Recently my teacher told us that its carcinogenic and that she does not expect to see any full experiment qs coming up on it. Well I just had a look at the trend for it since 2004, and it seems like it popped up every 2nd year. But has not come up since 2012.
    If your still supposed to study it, its bound to come up this year.

It came up last year in q.8 (c)?

Bazinga_N wrote: »
    It came up last year in q.8 (c)?

Might have overlooked it
    Pretty much sums it up so. Its still asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 cxxlin

I've literally been procrastinating for the past week by playing Piano Tiles like mad.
    Probably gonna fail my mocks, but on the bright side, at least I'm skilled at tapping tiles like mad. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,115 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Mr Murphy wrote: »
    Anybody have information on an external candidate for subjects like history being signed off? Biology, physics etc. Can I use the experiment copy that I used last year for them? Any advice is welcomed, thanks!

Sorry, just saw this.
    Rules here regarding various subjects. Scroll down.

Does anyone know what the n=x bit on these mean? Does it mean that in the first term of the sequence, n = 0 or 1 or whatever?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

emersyn wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the n=x bit on these mean? Does it mean that in the first term of the sequence, n = 0 or 1 or whatever?

Yes.

http://www.mathsisfun.com/algebra/sigma-notation.html

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Leavingcert gal2016

Is it possible to get 500 points in lc if I haven't done any work up until this point?

Is it possible to get 500 points in lc if I haven't done any work up until this point?

Nothing is impossible regarding leaving cert points, if you've done absolutely nothing up to this point it would be quite difficult to get 500 points but certainly not impossible

• Registered Users Posts: 30 cxxlin

I am scarily chill even though I have my mocks tomorrow morning... I don't think this is normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

Love how the whole Leaving Cert community come together in the Mocks Thread :D...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,115 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Love how the whole Leaving Cert community come together in the Mocks Thread :D...

Oh that thread....

It also explains how so many people don't answer the question(s) asked in the Leaving, given how so many of them don't appear to be able to read the title of the thread and/or the first post.

This year's thread is particularly bad, although I appreciate it's not regular users like yourself Arnie that beggar it up. Newbies - how we love them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭legocrazy505

spurious wrote: »

Oh that thread....

It also explains how so many people don't answer the question(s) asked in the Leaving, given how so many of them don't appear to be able to read the title of the thread and/or the first post.

This year's thread is particularly bad, although I appreciate it's not regular users like yourself Arnie that beggar it up. Newbies - how we love them.
    Most people come onto the thread I suppose in a panic and are either too busy or too lazy to look through the thread. Though really if you knew you would end up checking the mocks thread you'd check it daily like most people have done. What's happened now is you end up with tons of people requesting exactly the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭multimate

root(2) - 1 is a root of a function ax^2 + bx + c = 0 and you had to solve for a,b,c and find the other roots.
    could someone help me with this please

• Advertisement

root(2) - 1 is a root of a function ax^2 + bx + c = 0 and you had to solve for a,b,c and find the other roots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

multimate wrote: »

You sub the root into the equation. (gets messy)

You should be getting b and c equalling something. In theory if something is a root to a function then it will cancel off. So therefore b and c will cancel off, you just sub in whatever for b and c to make the equation 0=0.

Are you sure a is in the question? I did the mock that had this question and don't recall seeing the a :p.

You get the other roots by doing long division with the factor and then using the equation obtained in -B formula.

You sub the root into the equation. (gets messy)

You should be getting b and c equalling something. In theory if something is a root to a function then it will cancel off. So therefore b and c will cancel off, you just sub in whatever for b and c to make the equation 0=0.

Are you sure a is in the question? I did the mock that had this question and don't recall seeing the a :p.

You get the other roots by doing long division with the factor and then using the equation obtained in -B formula.

Thanks a million. So c turned out to be 0? Having no a makes it so much easier

spurious wrote: »
    Oh that thread....

I've literally gotten about 50 messages since last Monday requesting that I send people entire exam papers, often for subjects I don't even do... They're not only ignoring the whole thread, they're also expecting random people to spend hours typing out comprehensive reports on each exam without even so much as a please or thank you instead of just typing a word into the search box to see the spoilers people have already put up :pac:

It's such a simple system if they would bother to follow it, but no, they'd rather bitch at mods and harass regular users.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 swallace3454

I'm currently doing 8 honour subjects and thinking of dropping to ordinary Irish if on the day I change my mind can I change to honours.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭chocolate98

is it bad that my mocks haven't even started yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭malnurtured

is it bad that my mocks haven't even started yet?

I would've preferred if mine started as late as yours, to be honest. Our teachers were rushing the course to get as much done as possible because it started Feb 1st. I wouldn't worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 DerekOK

Strange question but does anyone know if you can move from ordinary level up to higher level on the day of your leaving cert? I know you can do it the other way around but Im just wondering if this is ok too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Consonata

DerekOK wrote: »
    Strange question but does anyone know if you can move from ordinary level up to higher level on the day of your leaving cert? I know you can do it the other way around but Im just wondering if this is ok too?

You can take any paper you like on the day, It goes both ways. They literally call out who's taking HL/OL and you raise your hand I believe.

Advertisement