Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

...and back to Connemara.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Runonewon

Hi there LB,I had a very similar injury many years ago, went to guy in Cork who dealt with many runners.He told me to ice regularly and stretch out morning and evening for a week,then run on grass for a month,continuing to ice and stretch.I started running more and more on grass and found i was rarely injured.it's messy but very good for the bod!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Runonewon wrote: »
    Hi there LB,I had a very similar injury many years ago, went to guy in Cork who dealt with many runners.He told me to ice regularly and stretch out morning and evening for a week,then run on grass for a month,continuing to ice and stretch.I started running more and more on grass and found i was rarely injured.it's messy but very good for the bod!;)

Cheers Runonewon. sounds like a good plan! Probably no coincidence that the shin thing really kicked in after a run with a couple of miles on concrete.

Bearing the grass thing in mind today I went to the horse track... 8 loops = 8 miles and I ran on the grass for some of it which was very very wet :D Even when on the path it's softer than the road with sandy sections too so all good. An enjoyable run... average pace 10.20/ moving pace 10.10 and the mutt enjoyed it (though I was pretty much dragging her round for the last lap:D). Now that I'm not doing the full 26.2 I must go there during the week and try to get some faster stuff done.

Right shin was a wee bit sore mid run but didn't impact on the run. I'll keep icing on and off through the day.

The last time I went to the woods in Cong the lake had flooded over the trail so it was no go but today it was receded back enough to get past. I'd forgotten how much I love running there. Messed up with the garmin a bit and as well as that the first two miles were slow with the usual canine delay tactics plus opening/ closing gate etc but were probably somewhere between 10.30-11 in terms of running pace. 3rd mile a bit faster @10.04 and coming to the end of the 4th mile I was sitting comfortably at 9.30 when the dog spotted a duck and took off like a steam train dragging me after her reaching a speed of 5.19 min mile for all of a second.:D. that speedy burst in the last minute took me down to 9.21 for that mile :D I added .2 because I'd lost .2 when i forgot to turn the garmin on at the start and i wanted 4 miles on it :rolleyes:
    Total 4.2 miles
    miles this year: 129.2

Kids off school. There's a new playground quite near me and beside it a pitch with a new tarmac-ed 410metre track around it (marked). Perfect for doing some intervals while kiddiwinkies played. Then the kids decided they wanted to run too... so I decided on getting them doing mini couch to 5-k esque running for a few laps with permission to retire to the playground when they wanted. Then they wanted to bring the dog too... ok all manageable.
    By the time we'd got ready, all bundled into the car and got there it was raining,cold windy rain, there was a sign saying "pitch closed" and someone in there painting lines on it, playground says "no dogs" (fair enough but not sure if that applied to track around the pitch as well). So.. all home again :( and I went on to do intervals on the treadmill.

1 mile warmup + 5 x .2/.3 @7.6mph/ recovery @5.5 + half mile warmdown @6mph.
    total 4 miles.
    Miles this year... 133.2

delighted the kids want to run. Poor things seem to have inherited my non athletic abilities and come last or near last in races in school and they hate that so I really would like to instill in them an enjoyment of running for the sake of it without the competitiveness of school stuff. The eldest wants to do a 5k with me in the summer and says I'll have to buy her all the cool running gear :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

How frustrating was that!!

Well done on the milage so far this year, you're flying it :)

• Advertisement

Bally8 wrote: »
    How frustrating was that!!

Very ! More because the kids were all geared up for it than for my own run :( Hopefully they'll still be on for it tomorrow.

You're doing great yourself B8, everytime I read your log I get a pang of guilt about the bike in the shed :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Nice to have a track close by with markings... i am useless at distances :o fingers crossed you get out tomorrow. It was really windy out you were probably as well to have done the intervals on the treadmill

afternoon... brought the kids to the pool. They're big enough now that I could leave them splashing about at the shallow end and I got a few lengths in.... totally knackered after each one :rolleyes:

Forced myself onto the treadmill this evening for 3 easy (10.30) miles. Shin still a bit sore but I think getting bit better all the time. Icing and stretching, icing and stretching....
    planning a nice hilly run on Sunday:)

You'd think that to improve my running on hills I'd throw in a few hills on my usual runs or even some hill repeats but no I had to go all out and join the new mountain and hill running group on their second group run at Derroura (mountain bike trail).
    I knew I'd be at the tail end of the group and told the others as much. Started with a steep gravelly climb and turned off onto a boardwalk which was icy! I had trouble staying upright at all on it :o... I fell back a bit here but not too much. BUT.. when back on the trail there was a choice of keeping going on trail or back onto boardwalk... both had sharpish corners not too far ahead so I couldn't see which way the group had gone. I chose the trail and a few mins later realised I was wrong :o so ran back down and back the other way but i'd lost about 5 mins on the group and didn't see any of them again til back in the car park in the end.

Summary... 9 miles with 246 m climb on rock, loose, gravel, mucky bits and more slippy slidey boardwalk.. brilliant :D Real hill running... though the word "run" doesn't really apply to what I was doing most of the time. My average moving pace was 11.51 so was finished in 1 hr 49 ish but my elapsed time was 2.06 :eek: the difference being due to getting lost, standing around a few times wondering which path to take, a shoe/ sock fixing incident, 3 x shoelace stops, an emergency pitstop :o, standing aside to let mountain bikers past, and a few times stopping just to catch my breath and unashamedly enjoy the view :).
    I should have been faster on the descent but a knee twinge just before the best bits told me to be cautious. I took it easy and all was fine for the rest of it. Coughed like an old smoker for an hour when I got home.

Oh and my journey there took me up HOTW... doens't seem that bad when you're in a car:p Hopefully with a bit more hill effort I'll actually manage to run some of it this time :)

Had to be in Barna this morning so decided to do my run there while i was waiting for something as the afternoon/ evening will just be too busy.
    My 5k race pace last summer was 8.45 so though I had no real plan I wanted to see if I could still run at that pace :rolleyes: and the answer is no... I'm such a rubbish runner!
    Mile 1 warmup 9.34 then picked it up to 8.45 for the second and just about made it to the end of the second mile :eek: (8.43). I knew I couldn't hold it into the rain/ wind for another mile so went with 1/4 mile intervals at 8.43 (with stop for breath breaks:rolleyes:).
    fourth warm down mile at 10.20.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭madon

Lol you're not a rubbish runner- fast running season is April to September, you're just trying to go fast too early in the year. No back up to that theory but I do know I'm right:D
    I'm sure though the speed thing will come back you've been training for a marathon for the past few months- I really don't know what I'm talking about but I'm assuming marathon training will do nothing for speed.
    Bring the dog on your belt and set one of the kids off in front of you on a bike with a bit of steak- that'll get you back:P

madon wrote: »
    Lol you're not a rubbish runner-

No... i think you'll find that I really and truly am a rubbish runner :p but that's probably still better than not being a runner at all :)
    I have yet to officially finish a 5k race in under 27 minutes. there was one last year where I hit 3.1 miles in 26.57 but the race (according to my garmin) was 3.19 :( so after Connemara I'll make it my business to put that right.

littlebug wrote: »
    No... i think you'll find that I really and truly am a rubbish runner :p but that's probably still better than not being a runner at all :)
    I have yet to officially finish a 5k race in under 27 minutes. there was one last year where I hit 3.1 miles in 26.57 but the race (according to my garmin) was 3.19 :( so after Connemara I'll make it my business to put that right.

Ah LB don't be talking like that but i get where you are coming from. I have never run a 5k under 27 either. I think ONCE i did 26.59 in a training run ages ago and actually that wasn't even 5k. I get hung up on times sometimes but you know thats not the reason why i run. I run to eat and to stay in a size 12 ;) you are doing great and you have added a new element to your running with the mountain running group. Just keep enjoying it.. times will come ;)

Nules10 wrote: »
    I have never run a 5k under 27 either.

well there's a pb that's there for the taking ;)
    Won't get out with the hill group this weekend as I'm going drinking instead :pac: just as important for overall mental health sometimes ;)

well there's a pb that's there for the taking ;)
    Won't get out with the hill group this weekend as I'm going drinking instead :pac: just as important for overall mental health sometimes ;)

Haha me too. I agree 100%. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Ah LB don't be talking like that but i get where you are coming from. I have never run a 5k under 27 either. I think ONCE i did 26.59 in a training run ages ago and actually that wasn't even 5k. I get hung up on times sometimes but you know thats not the reason why i run. I run to eat and to stay in a size 12 ;) you are doing great and you have added a new element to your running with the mountain running group. Just keep enjoying it.. times will come ;)

I'm with nules here, you're doing great, don't get too hung up on times. I'm not saying I don't either, but I sure enjoy it more when I don't.

busy doesn't describe this past week :eek:

Just about managing to keep some running going, keep my 1000 mile thing updated but not really enough time to talk about or write about it :p

2 loops of knockma today.... nearly bloody killed me.

youngest at home sick today so treadmill run it was.
    3 miles
    11/8.14 :)/10.06

Youngest still sick so sleep has been minimal. Planned to get out early for 10 miles this morning but then didn't wake up in time due to being up in the night :rolleyes: I also forgot to charge the garmin :rolleyes::rolleyes: so I just took the mutt and out on a route I know is exactly 2 miles out and 2 miles back. Sunday morning is usually quiet enough but we were being attacked by other dogs left, right and centre this morning :mad: Can't say I enjoyed it even a little bit.
    The 4 miles was all I had time for outside as OH had to leave so back home I set up the treadmill and plodded out another 6. Nothing remarkable to report other than being very tired.
    At least this 10 miler has brought my 1000 mile finish date back into 2012 :)

3 easy miles up, down and around the village this evening. It was dark so instead of running the bit that has no footpath at the end I did a loop of the graveyard....:eek: there are no ghosts there are no ghosts... really.... there are no ghosts but I had a peculiar reluctance to look behind me and I may have run faster on that part of the run than elsewhere :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

3 easy miles up, down and around the village this evening. It was dark so instead of running the bit that has no footpath at the end I did a loop of the graveyard....:eek: there are no ghosts there are no ghosts... really.... there are no ghosts but I had a peculiar reluctance to look behind me and I may have run faster on that part of the run than elsewhere :o

:)

:D:D YES THERE REALLY ARE GHOSTS ;)

:D:D YES THERE REALLY ARE GHOSTS ;)

:eek: I didn't bother with the graveyard loop tonight ;)

The boy is still sick :( so this week is just about ticking over... had minimal time this evening to take the dog out/ get my run in so just 2 miles. Cold out there, despite my 67 layers of clothing :D
    Back in time to get my wee man tucked in :)

I've disappeared off the 1000 mile thread (as have Madon and MCS) and cant remember my mileage...

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭madon

I just put my 2 miles in tonight and it has brought my completion date to the 24th of Dec- we've both been floating around that date for the last few weeks. I'm nearly sure there was only about half a mile between us when I put the 13.1 in on Sunday so we are around the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

I've disappeared off the 1000 mile thread (as have Madon and MCS) and cant remember my mileage...

I, ever resourceful as I am, kept a separate log of my mileage/kilometerage.

We were all tracking along nicely together.

madon wrote: »
    I just put my 2 miles in tonight and it has brought my completion date to the 24th of Dec- we've both been floating around that date for the last few weeks. I'm nearly sure there was only about half a mile between us when I put the 13.1 in on Sunday so we are around the same.

ok so on Sunday you were at 184.7 so I'll say I was 184 and then add Mondays 3 and last nights 2 brings me to 189 :)

We were all tracking along nicely together.

Falling behind a bit there MCS :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

Falling behind a bit there MCS :p

Worry not. On 31st December I'll just "borrow" somebody else's mileage :p

Job done. :D

Worry not. On 31st December I'll just "borrow" somebody else's mileage :p

Job done. :D

:D:D Much easier!

Last night 3 miles up, down and around the village again. There's one particular road that has half a mile with pavement and lights which is great but the dog just doesn't like that road :confused: refuses to walk it... I mean completely parks her bum and won't move. Usually she's ok if we're running but last night she just stopped dead a few times and I had to drag her to the end. Grand once we turn for home again. I can't figure out what it is about that road :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

It's haunted :D

• Advertisement

RayCun wrote: »
    It's haunted :D

:D those ghosts again! So she's fine in the graveyard then because the ghosts are all down the road :eek:

Advertisement