Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards Evil200km - 9th of June

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

lennymc wrote: »
    Ouch.

Sent from my iBath

Yer a hard man. Good luck tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

I was running late this morning (inevitable), nearly had a "bottle of olive oil all over the cat" incident which wouldn't have helped, reckoned that I missed the group at Lamb's Cross (highly likely, given the rubbish nature of the week I've had so far), so decided to ride along the route in the hope of catching them. Wasn't sure of the exact route though, having opted to load it onto my Garmin and rely on that.

Selected the route on my Garmin, Garmin gave me its version of the middle finger. Swore at it, resembling angry deranged man on a bike once again. I wasn't sure which right turn the group would take to Johnny Foxes so I bizarrely decided they'd have taken the furthest away one and rode to the one up from Kilternan. I am my own worst enemy. Got as far as Johnny Foxes but no sign of group, now didn't know whether they were in front of me or behind me or on a different road. *sigh* Rolled on and spotted wet tyre tracks on the road. Yayy! Put my ear to the ground, no sound. Felt the ground, wet and cold. What was going on, in the movies someone would have been able to identify exactly how many cyclists there were, how far ahead they were, etc., by now. Movies lie! Kept going and caught up with the group at the viewing point.

The ride was great fun (crashes in particular aside), thanks Astramonti for a very interesting route. The fact that some roads were more pothole than road just added to the fun. Admittedly some of those "puddles" seemed deeper than I was tall though :)

I chickened out of the full route and headed straight home from Laragh via Sallygap. Total distance 154km, total climbing 2,958m.

'Twas good to meet people and put faces to names. I didn't get to chat with everyone so wasn't sure of exactly who was there though.

Funny moments:
    * Meeting the widest tanker truck in Ireland on the narrowest road in Ireland (fair play to the driver for stopping and making space for us), followed shortly afterwards by being blocked by two people on a horse and cart (who also were very decent by pulling over to let us pass).
    * RAAM nearly bagging a pheasant that was hiding at the side of the road on a bend. Would have made a sizable lunch. The pheasant probably went home and told her auld fella that she nearly bagged a cyclist, but Mr Pheasant probably told her that would have been a waste as there is no eating on a cyclist and particularly a climber.
    * Water. Everywhere. Waterfalls on road, rivers across roads.
    * Irish roads. Would someone please lend Wicklow County Council some tarmac and an instruction manual. Muck is not a road, right, and scattering gravel over it doesn't magically transform it!
    * The landrover at Laragh that completely misjudged the position of a large rock, while driving very slowly, and ended up with the rock wedged under the side footrail. He reversed and jammed it even worse, bending the rail in the process. The passenger swung the door open to investigate and whacked the bottom of his door off the rock. Comedy gold.

Crying moments:
    * Seeing RAAM and Roger just ride off up the road on the climb before Slieve Mann. I called on my legs to go faster, legs said no.
    * Seeing a man whip off his trousers beside his car somewhere around Rathdrum (I think). He seemed to be wearing painted on boxers, off-white colour of course. Pulling pants they were not! Disturbing pants they certainly were! I am deeply traumatised.
    * Turning bend after bend to see yet another steeply rising road ahead.
    * Going up both Slieve Mann and Shay Elliot with a "song" favoured by my 3yr old daughter looping over and over in my head - "A bottle of rum, to fill my tum, that's the life for me". I sometimes wonder what goes on in that creche of hers!

Fair play to lennymc for sticking with the full route, that takes some balls!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Very sore. A good ride lenny. At my father in laws seventieth now.full report tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

noticed my bloody strava didnt pick up my time for wall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

out of the bath, nicest bath ever!! Followed by the nicest burger evere.

Firstly massive thanks to Inquitus for the company, glad you made the surprise party :)

That was a tough day. rivers flowing down roads, gravel, dirt, crap, punctures, none of which dampened a truley tough challenge. In the end we didnt do all the climbs,as it was just getting to late, and i was knackered.

Off to get the bike ready for tomorrow. I think i need my head examined.

Couple of personal records, and a 4th place overall on a descent on strava. yay!!

http://app.strava.com/rides/10445724

oh, and astra is evil. I propose he should be added to the list of 'axis of evil' members

Forgot to give credit to Inquitus too. Sorry and well done!

doozerie wrote: »
    Forgot to give credit to Inquitus too. Sorry and well done!

Hear hear. Well done gentlemen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Well done all. Begin preparations for next year?

Boards Evil 200

224.1km
    4,138m of climbing

http://app.strava.com/activities/10462013

First off, a big thanks to LennyMc for the company on the way round. We kept each other going, and I would probably have taken a shortcut home otherwise.

Thanks to Astramonti for organising it and his evil mind for coming up with the route!

That was one long hard day in the saddle. We set off at 8am and stayed together waiting at the top of the climbs until just past Newtownmountkennedy when Manafana and myself went to get a headstart while the others had a bathroom break, only we went the wrong way and ended up about 10 mins behind, plus got a bonus 100m of climbing. After a bit we caught Lenny, and Manafana decided to head home via a few hills.

Lenny and myself made pretty good time, bar a couple of punctures and rolled into Laragh at the Hippy Cafe to see the rest of the lads preparing to head home. Astramonti had broken his seatpost and his day was done.

We did the only thing we could do and decided to head for the Wicklow gap and a healthy dose of more suffering.

Got up the Wicklow gap easy enough, and descended down the other side, only to have to hook a right up a narrow lane into a cheeky climb that then dropped us out by the lakes.

Usually I like going downhill, but it had long been apparent on this route that the only reason to go down was because that was the only way to go up more!

We stopped for a can of coke at the shop atop a hill and continued round the up and down of the lakeshore drive finally hooking a right to go up Sally Gap. Thankfully we had a roaring tailwind by now and this made relatively light work of what is probably the easiest way up the gap.

Back to Laragh for another coke, and then we set off on the route back to Dundrum. I was running late for a family party so I headed off as fast as I could muster but made a bollox of things at eniskerry and turned right and ended up on the N11 instead of going straight up the hill, this gave me a 10km diversion, and another bonus 100m of climbing!

All in all a great days sufferfest, would recommend.

20120609155938.jpg

Given the quality of some of the roads we travelled I'd love to see the state of the ones Astra nixxed.

20120609130244.jpg

20120609110426.jpg

Oh and best of luck to that crazy bastard Lenny on his WW200 today!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Bike just got a 3 hour, what do you call it, "Luxurious Spa treatment" Top to toe. :)
    Dieseled / greased / oiled. Still have to buff it though. lol

50 k in, 150 to go. Legs feel fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

50 k in, 150 to go. Legs feel fine.

Well done man! I am really glad now that I had to quit yesterday, my knee is in surprisingly bad shape today, sheer pain on the outside. Going to visit the physio first thing tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 I Choose Bike

Lads just wanted to say a big thanks to everyone who was out. I had a great day. Have never done anything like that and it was brilliant.

Very sore today. I'm quite the sight. I look like an old man - half bent over from the pain in my back.

I was the last to leave Laragh for home and went at a gentle pace with a couple of breaks along the way. All in all a great day and I was glad to have been out for it.

PS I was riding the Felt and wearing the yellow Scott jersey with a red base layer

Lads just wanted to say a big thanks to everyone who was out. I had a great day. Have never done anything like that and it was brilliant.

Very sore today. I'm quite the sight. I look like an old man - half bent over from the pain in my back.

I was the last to leave Laragh for home and went at a gentle pace with a couple of breaks along the way. All in all a great day and I was glad to have been out for it.

PS I was riding the Felt and wearing the yellow Scott jersey with a red base layer

Looks like we made a boardsie out of you!

Fair play to you! You chose a really tough first spin and you delivered as well! Well done.

• Advertisement

Planet X wrote: »
    Bike just got a 3 hour, what do you call it, "Luxurious Spa treatment" Top to toe. :)
    Dieseled / greased / oiled. Still have to buff it though. lol

All cleaning bills to A.Monti

Currently sipping a cappucino and.eating cake. Nom nom.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,497 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

with a couple of breaks along the way.
    They tried to drop you?

I tell you - much more camaraderie on the WW200 than the "evil200":D

• Registered Users Posts: 3 I Choose Bike

Beasty wrote: »
    They tried to drop you?

I tell you - much more camaraderie on the WW200 than the "evil200":D

Not at all. The support and encouragement throughout the day were great! It was Daragh who kept me going me up Shay Elliott :)

Thanks Daragh!!!

We all split up in Laragh and I opted to go home alone - ( despite many calls to join the different groups as they set off ) - and I could have had a lift from astra!

full report from lenny when hes done.

I felt ok today as it goes, very tight but no joint pain, did stocking lane in snatchs this morning was ok setting decent time for last bit at top. Shoulder is sore thou i need work on my core strength.

@astra sorry hear about the knee pain, hopefully gets sorted, what kind of gear do you spin, have you tinkered with your bike setup?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

AstraMonti wrote: »
    Well done man! I am really glad now that I had to quit yesterday, my knee is in surprisingly bad shape today, sheer pain on the outside. Going to visit the physio first thing tomorrow.

Astra,

I recall a cycle we did many years ago and you had a lot of knee pain.
    Is it the same issue?

Drugs are the answer.

Done.

Done.

You are now officially awesome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

Done.

That's not a very informative report. Being officially awesome means some details. Apart from the nom nom cake at 50k

t'bear wrote: »
    That's not a very informative report. Being officially awesome means some details. Apart from the nom nom cake at 50k

Being awesome means you get beer, a foot massage off the missus, an Ireland win in the footie, and your fans await your post on boards ;)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,497 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

t'bear wrote: »

... on the contrary - I think Lenny's post says it all

Inquitus wrote: »
    Being awesome means you get beer, a foot massage off the missus, an Ireland win in the footie, and your fans await your post on boards ;)
    Your missus is giving lenny a foot massage?

That truely is awesome ...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Beasty wrote: »
    Your missus is giving lenny a foot massage?

That truely is awesome ...

Not really, she gives rubbish foot massages....

right, home and fed now. Report below.

Saturday, evil 200. Left the house about 6 am after 5 hours sleep due to a pre arranged thing. Got to astramontis, had an espresso, and went down to meet the guys at the dundrum bridge. From there we went up some hills, I ended up on my own, figured out how to use my garmin courses, got lost, got found again, and hung around with inquitus and manafana for the rest of the day.

Today:
    Woke up about 6 am (yay, a lie in) went and met another raider down at the shoreline place. Left the start about 8.20, and popped around the course. The other raider, Peter, hasnt been out much recently, so he was taking it handy, which was fine by me. Went up and down some hills, drank coffee, ate sambos, talked with people and cycled round the course.

I was taking it easy for most of the weekend and enjoyed it.

Some things I learned over the weekend:
    Standard gearing is faster, but compact gearing is easier. Im bringing compact gearing to the pyrenees.
    I appear to have good recovery.
    Sunscreen.
    Lots of water
    Taking it easy is quite enjoyable.

Saturday:

Sunday:
    http://app.strava.com/rides/10527457

ROK ON wrote: »
    Lenny, if you do this and the WW200 back to back I will donate €50 to a charity of your choosing. Just some incentive.

Ahem.

:)

Well done Lenny, you are a legend, after this weekend you ll find France a walk in the park.
    ROK ON wrote: »
    Astra,

I recall a cycle we did many years ago and you had a lot of knee pain.
    Is it the same issue?

Drugs are the answer.

Same knee different issue. I seem to develop something new every summer. This one started at the mick Byrne but went away the next day so I didn't pay attention. It's a sheer pain on the outside of the knee each time I bend it. If my google-doctor abilities are correct I might be suffering from ITBS or in different words, an overused knee. We ll see what the physio will say, I will be bringing quite a few painkillers on the trip.

• Advertisement

Lenny

Very happy to oblige.

How about I see you for lunch later in the week & we can settle up then.
    Chapeau.

just got a chance to upload a couple of pictures.

In the begining there were many
    100_0446.jpg

then there were two
    100_0447.jpg

Wait for me Inquitus!!!
    100_0453.jpg

im just taking a break! (this was actually the most comfortable road in ireland. No, really!)
    100_0458.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Taking it easy is quite enjoyable.

Saturday:

Sunday:
    http://app.strava.com/rides/10527457

:)

Wow. That is seriously impressive climbing and staying in Z1 or Z2 for 96+% of the time. You must be seriously cycle-fit ! I'd love to hear what a typical weeks cycling is for you...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

What's the killer hill in the 2nd last photo (sorry if this sounds newbie-esq) ?

route66 wrote: »
    What's the killer hill in the 2nd last photo (sorry if this sounds newbie-esq) ?

That's part of this hill - http://app.strava.com/activities/10462013#183598940

which is the first one after the descent at 125km - http://app.strava.com/activities/10462013#

Inquitus wrote: »

I'm not sure whether to feel sympathy or jealousy for "Declan Roe", apparently nominated by Strava as honorary fastest woman for that segment. A QoM may not be something he'd want to brag to his mates about.

http://app.strava.com/rides/10608484

packed in the climbing in colarado

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    Wow. That is seriously impressive climbing and staying in Z1 or Z2 for 96+% of the time. You must be seriously cycle-fit ! I'd love to hear what a typical weeks cycling is for you...?

em, its not that much really. everything is up on strava. I do a bit of intervals, hill repeats, sprinting a couple of nights a week, commute in and out of work sporadically, some a4 and league races. I do have a relatively low high heart rate (circa 160 bpm), and a relatively low cadence. I suppose I just like cycling :)

em, its not that much really. everything is up on strava. I do a bit of intervals, hill repeats, sprinting a couple of nights a week, commute in and out of work sporadically, some a4 and league races. I do have a relatively low high heart rate (circa 160 bpm), and a relatively low cadence. I suppose I just like cycling :)

160 is your max heart rate? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Holy crap! That's close to my resting!

yeah, max i ever hit was an a4 uphill sprint in the dunsany gp, about 162 bpm, (actually hit that going up a hill on saturday during the evil 200 aswell, didt feel like it at the time) and i dont think i could have gone much, if any, harder. Myabe i could have. i dunno. I have no idea what it means in terms of affecting my performance on the bike. I remember at one point on the wicklow going up SE of SM with a heart rate of about 90 bpm. Maybe i should just try harder

yeah, max i ever hit was an a4 uphill sprint in the dunsany gp, about 162 bpm, (actually hit that going up a hill on saturday during the evil 200 aswell, didt feel like it at the time) and i dont think i could have gone much, if any, harder. Myabe i could have. i dunno. I have no idea what it means in terms of affecting my performance on the bike. I remember at one point on the wicklow going up SE of SM with a heart rate of about 90 bpm. Maybe i should just try harder

lenny, a lower max bpm does make you more efficient as well as your lower resting heart race. Their are some drawbacks but in high altitude i can but assume it will be great benefit with the limited oxygen , my resting heart is 55-60.

Lenny
    IMHO you will know your max HR when you hit it as you will feel light headed or nauseous afterwards. You will also know it, because your throat and lungs will be burning, your calves and thights will be in agony.
    You will also feel your HR everywhere - ie in your hair, teeth, eyeballs.

It is horrible but the aftermath is exhilirating.

If you feel you could go harder then you did not hit your max.

@ ROK ON, that sounds like a challenge :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

I find this min/max HR business interesting and baffling at the same time. I dont spend nearly as much time on the bike as you seem to Lenny, but a max HR of 160 seems extraordinarily low (you're not 60 years old..I'm guessing :))

Tackling the Elliot or Slieve Mann with ONLY 90bpm as a HR is beyond me.............I virtually never see less than 100 on my HRM even on the flat at easy cadences and no half decent climb fails to result in a HR of 160. (my max is 183 - verified by a battery of expensive cardiac stress tests - as ROK ON suggests, I sure know when I'm in this zone for any length of time).

Are you sure that your not actually Alberto Contador O'Leary...... :D:D

Seriously, I think elite cyclists would be envious of those sorts of readings - regardless, you appear to be well able for the Evil 200 back-to-back with the WW200 and that alone is impressive.

• Advertisement

i had a look at my strava ride for the wicklow 200, and it looks like i got my SE /SM mixed up with glencree. SE averaged about 115 bpm, SM averaged about 110 and glencree averaged about 99 bpm.

glencree - http://app.strava.com/rides/10527457#184752582
    slieve mann - http://app.strava.com/rides/10527457#184752617
    shay elliot - http://app.strava.com/rides/10527457#184752595

I think i have good endurance and good recovery. if only I could add good speed :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If someone told me they were climbing at 90 bpm, I'd be telling them to replace the battery in their HRM (or replace the HRM) :)

Pretty much as soon as I hop on the bike, my HR jumps up over 100. Anything requiring a rate under 130 I generally consider to be "effortless", I only start warming up at 140/150. RHR is 45-55bpm depending on the time of day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

That's an evil looking 200km route alright, fair play lennymc for doing two 200km's back-to-back !! wow!

Now if you can do this sub 200km route (without stopping) I'm sure ROKON will go double-or-quits :pac::p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

That's an evil looking 200km route alright, fair play lennymc for doing two 200km's back-to-back !! wow!

Now if you can do this sub 200km route (without stopping) I'm sure ROKON will go double-or-quits :pac::p

That route looks like an elephant.

Raam wrote: »
    That route looks like an elephant.

And so the Boards Elephant 200 was born!

• Advertisement
Advertisement