Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats considered a good salary?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Relative OP

If I'm on fifty thousand a year and the lad besides me gets a bonus and I don't then I'm unhappy

If I'm a trader in London on tens times that amount and my bonus is low then I'm unhappy

You judge yourself against your peers.
    A student might find a fifty thousand salary an incredible sum
    But when you get there it doesn't seem so much

I'm not saying you shouldn't be grateful, of course you should.
    But you judge yourself against your friends, colleagues and people around you. What's good to me is low to someone else but huge to another person

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

And would you believe it, most of my colleagues still complain about what the public sector get every day.

Is your employer bankrupt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

So true that the bitching and application of standards is only in relation to other people, never the whinger themselves.
    I work in a place where we have better terms than the public sector.
    27 days hols with an extra day for each year of service. (plus good Friday and the days at christmas as bonus days)
    35 hour working week.
    Paid overtime.
    Noone in the company on less than 75k
    VHI
    Bonus
    8% of salary paid into pension whether you contribute yourself or not.
    €350 a month towards mortgage or rent every month on top of your salary.

And I havent seen a year yet where we didnt get a pay rise of less than 5%.
    Fuk me! :eek:

What sector is it? It looks like the Globex Corporation! I'd watch out for your boss revealing themselves to be a megalomaniac villain... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭CricketDude

c_man wrote: »

No. Its just an ordinary company. Like thousands of others.

woodoo wrote: »
    27 days hols with an extra day for each year of service.
    35 hour working week.
    Paid overtime.
    VHI
    Bonus

And would you believe it, most of my colleagues still complain about what the public sector get every day.

I think its just in people nature to begrudge someone else.

There is a herd element to it too. They hear so much of it in the media.
    Yep, one of those things that's just "the thing to say" by folks who don't think much, but generally bereft of any real substance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

27 days hols with an extra day for each year of service. (plus good Friday and the days at christmas as bonus days)
    35 hour working week.
    Paid overtime.
    VHI
    Bonus

Ok, spit it out. What is it you do, and who do you do it for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

35 hour working week.
    Paid overtime.
    VHI
    Bonus

I do not believe that. I am sure some people on the payroll get less than 75k a year. Cleaner, secretary, canteen staff, warehouse operative or whatever. I know someone in a large American multinational here in Ireland, he is with them 15 years, has a relevant third level qualification and is on less than 39k. Works a 37.5 hour week. Shorter holidays than you get. And constant pressure. Not a union member. Sometimes does an extra bit of overtime free just to get something finished.

I cannot believe a company would operate in an IMF bailed out country , and pay their lowest paid employee 75k a year plus vhi,bonus etc. Bear in mind average public sector salary is 21.5k a year in the UK, and many in the UK think that is too high over there. Its a G7 country, a major industrialised country, and why would wages in a rescued little IMF basket case be so much more ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,184 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Are you saying you want to reduce your own holidays to 2 weeks a year?
    Or just other peoples?

35 hour working week.
    Paid overtime.
    VHI
    Bonus

Can I get a job making tea or doing some photocopying for more than 75k a year?

(it's not a serious question as I wouldn't get out of bed for less than 25k a day!)

gigino wrote: »
    Dudess wrote: »
    Are public sector workers (well those with really great perks, which is certainly not all of them) supposed to refuse their conditions or something?
    Look at all the cribbing that was done when they were reduced from 49.5k to 48k.
    I find it hard to believe that you especially wouldn't be cribbing also if you were in their shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Yep, one of those things that's just "the thing to say" by folks who don't think much, but generally bereft of any real substance.

I don't know where that person works, if they do; however, it is still better paid in the private sector in my game that with the State. A member of my team is leaving for better pay and less hours in the private sector, basically the same reason as most leave my area.

It depends on your profession. I could do the same, I don't but I do top my wages up by working part time for the private sector.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

c_man wrote: »
    No; he is non-existent.

Oh my dad was an engineer in the public sector - had he done the same job in the private sector he would have been paid masses more. He wanted a PS job though because of the security and the lack of expectation to work til 7 or 8 on a quieter day. Less stress too, as should be the case. It's hardly a luxury and it doesn't mean he was never under pressure, just not stretched to his absolute limit.

gigino wrote: »
    I do not believe that. I am sure some people on the payroll get less than 75k a year. Cleaner, secretary, canteen staff, warehouse operative or whatever. I know someone in a large American multinational here in Ireland, he is with them 15 years, has a relevant third level qualification and is on less than 39k. Works a 37.5 hour week. Shorter holidays than you get. And constant pressure. Not a union member. Sometimes does an extra bit of overtime free just to get something finished.

I cannot believe a company would operate in an IMF bailed out country , and pay their lowest paid employee 75k a year plus vhi,bonus etc. Bear in mind average public sector salary is 21.5k a year in the UK, and many in the UK think that is too high over there. Its a G7 country, a major industrialised country, and why would wages in a rescued little IMF basket case be so much more ?

Oh no, more complaints and put downs. I guess people just cant help it.

It doesnt matter whether you believe me or not about my company. I am making the point that people who are in much better pay and conditions than others, still think that the others somehow should not have the pay and conditions for their job. And they cant see the irony at all.

Everybody thinks they can do everybody elses job better. Until they actually try to do the job.

Does your friends third level degree make him an expert at his job. No.
    From my own experience, when you come out with your third level degree you are completely useless. It is just a means to get you a ticket to show what you can do in your chosen career. A lot of people just dont progress because they somehow think that having a degree is enough. And its not.

If your friend can command a higher salary then it should be easy for him to move to somewhere who will pay him whats required to keep him. Obviously 39k is all he can command, so thats what it takes to keep him in his current job.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

prison officer,1749euro after tax,per week.

I'd rather go to prison than work as a prison officer!

Oh my dad was an engineer in the public sector - had he done the same job in the private sector he would have been paid masses more. He wanted a PS job though because of the security and the lack of expectation to work til 7 or 8 on a quieter day. Less stress too, as should be the case. It's hardly a luxury and it doesn't mean he was never under pressure, just not stretched to his absolute limit.

The ironic thing is that those who complain now all could have chosen a career in the public sector, but didnt, and now are sorry they didnt go for the security and pension. And it makes them bitter. You can see it in their eyes when they are complaining. Teachers his, guards that, bankers **** ... etc. They would be better off taking a look at their own choices and doing something to help themselves.

I didnt choose the public sector because I decided to go for the money rather than the security. I was made redundant in the past - a couple of times. But i'm happy with my decision. My brother does a similar job to me in the public sector and gets paid less than half what I do. But hes happy with the security and pension.

I'd rather go to prison than work as a prison officer!

Me too. €5000 a week wouldnt be enough for me be a prison officer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

If i got 27,500 euros p.a. (the average graduate starting salary during the boom) i would be thrilled. As someone who is qualified to masters level (engineering) and worked for the dole alone for ten months to get experience, i feel i'm taking a disproportionate brunt of the govt's attempts to lower the cost base (yet not to compromise the value proposition of the economy)

I see some of that with people; however, again it is down to the person's profession. I stay with the HSE because I would not get the same challenge in the private sector; most of my clients couldn't afford the fees that a private centre or private practice would charge. However, I don’t get an easier life with the HSE compared to private work or working for a centre. What I would see is my work being valued more outside the HSE than within. But here I am feeding into the public vs private sh!te when this thread is about a good wage no matter who your employer is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭almighty1

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    .......... worked for the dole.........

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
    :D:D:D:D:D:D

I presume they mean one of those internship things.
    Odysseus wrote: »

I see some of that with people; however, again it is down to the person's profession. I stay with the HSE because I would not get the same challenge in the private sector; most of my clients couldn't afford the fees that a private centre or private practice would charge. However, I don’t get an easier life with the HSE compared to private work or working for a centre. What I would see is my work being valued more outside the HSE than within. But here I am feeding into the public vs private sh!te when this thread is about a good wage no matter who your employer is.
    Oh yeah it's an absolute joke to claim it's cushy in the HSE. Maybe some admin staff have a nice number but I seriously doubt most do.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Childminding €220 per week
    Dole €188 per week
    Computer Repair €100 per week
    Hokey software installation €200 per week

Yep, I'm custy alright :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

The ironic thing is that those who complain now all could have chosen a career in the public sector, but didnt, and now are sorry they didnt go for the security and pension. And it makes them bitter. You can see it in their eyes when they are complaining. Teachers his, guards that, bankers **** ... etc. They would be better off taking a look at their own choices and doing something to help themselves.

I didnt choose the public sector because I decided to go for the money rather than the security. I was made redundant in the past - a couple of times. But i'm happy with my decision. My brother does a similar job to me in the public sector and gets paid less than half what I do. But hes happy with the security and pension.

But why should he (OR ANYONE ELSE FOR THAT MATTER) be entitled to that security when the country is bankrupt.
    ??
    It was mentioned on another thread that the Government is borrowing €10k a year for every teacher to keep salaries as they are.

It is nuts. And hard to believe that a Government is ACTUALLY that stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

I always say it that between taxes and other levies and **** 400 quid take home pay is loads. Depend on where in the country your living of course.

Freddie59 wrote: »
    But why should he (OR ANYONE ELSE FOR THAT MATTER) be entitled to that security when the country is bankrupt.
    ??
    It was mentioned on another thread that the Government is borrowing €10k a year for every teacher to keep salaries as they are.

It is nuts. And hard to believe that a Government is ACTUALLY that stupid.

How is it nuts? I work for the HSE providing a service. Unless something totally strange happens they will always need someone to provide the service I supply. So unless I am not suppling that service to a required level there will always be a position for me. How does this not make sense? The security is there because most of the positions will always need someone to fulfill them. We will always have some form of health service, such a service will always need someone to fulfill my position, this equals my job security.

We will always need people to do certain jobs, as long as you fulfill your side of the contact, it generally means that you have a job for as long as you want it.

EDIT: Or do you think we should close all state services?

I don't understand this bit, am I missing something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭gigino

35 hour working week.
    Paid overtime.
    VHI
    Bonus

You still have not said what company you work for. And why would that company pay the guts of €100,000 a year ( to include bonus + vhi + employer contributions etc ) to employ someone to make the tea, clean the floor or operate the photocopier?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

How is it nuts? I work for the HSE providing a service. Unless something totally strange happens they will always need someone to provide the service I supply. So unless I am not suppling that service to a required level there will always be a position for me. How does this not make sense? The security is there because most of the positions will always need someone to fulfill them. We will always have some form of health service, such a service will always need someone to fulfill my position, this equals my job security.

We will always need people to do certain jobs, as long as you fulfill your side of the contact, it generally means that you have a job for as long as you want it.

EDIT: Or do you think we should close all state services?

No, merely pay the staff according to it's means. For example, if my employer told me tomorrow that I would have to take a €10k a year pay cut or go on the dole I would be gutted. But it would be an economic reality.

There is no way that this country can sustain borrowing to pay people's wages or Social Welfare. No way at all. And it should not be happening in the first instance.

EDIT: do you think that the rest of us should pay more tax in order to keep your wages artificially high?

I don't understand this bit, am I missing something?
    It was in response to Almighty1's post just above it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Seomra Mushie

Seachmall wrote: »
    But anywhere around 100k+ is generally considered decent.

I'd consider half that to be decent.

• Advertisement

Lots of public sector salaries aren't high at all - mediocre and even low actually. :confused:

As said, there are professions that pay twice in the private sector what they pay in the public one.

When I think of rich, I only ever think of private enterprise...

Advertisement