Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

jr86 wrote: »
    Corofin absolutely demolish mbellew and daithi burke, Justin Burke and Colin Brady all given a nice token run out near the end :D

Scary depth. Can't see them touched in connacht
    Depressing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭spurshero

Mr Velo wrote: »
    Corofin absolutely demolish mbellew and daithi burke, Justin Burke and Colin Brady all given a nice token run out near the end :D

Depressing :(
    It is depressing no good for Galway football .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

spurshero wrote: »

There was a feeling this year that the gap had closed a bit on Corofin. Today's final smashed that feeling. It's hard to see a club going into next years championship believing they can take Corofin.

I hope they are beaten in Connacht as I think it'll be better for Galway if their players get a rest and are in with the county from the start of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Fair play and congrats to Claregalway in the Minor, great to see a smaller club win this. Commiserations to Salthill Knocknacarra.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,217 ✭✭✭Robson99

There was a feeling this year that the gap had closed a bit on Corofin. Today's final smashed that feeling. It's hard to see a club going into next years championship believing they can take Corofin.

I hope they are beaten in Connacht as I think it'll be better for Galway if their players get a rest and are in with the county from the start of the year.
    It doesn't make a bit of difference to Galway football. You wouldnt pick out 2 county footballers there today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Congrats to Corofin. They are some club.

But. It can't be doing much for the county men in other clubs to be being bet year in year out. I wonder is this affecting the mentality of the County team? With the greatest of respect to them, it looks like some of them do not expect to win when the pressure comes on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

St. Thomas’s knocked out by Killimordaly was a big shock. Interested in reading the match reports in the Tribune, but Cappatagle impressed against an up-and-coming Kilnademma-Leitrim side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    Fair play and congrats to Claregalway in the Minor, great to see a smaller club win this.

I hope you mean "smaller" in terms of achievement rather than area/pick !!!

Gort v killimordaly
    Sarsfields v cappy
    Mellows v bridge
    craughwell v portumna

Latter game is a potential cracker and a real pick em.

Other 3 should be straightforward enough for first team listed - you'd imagine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

Gort v killimordaly
    Sarsfields v cappy
    Mellows v bridge
    craughwell v portumna

Latter game is a potential cracker and a real pick em.

Other 3 should be straightforward enough for first team listed - you'd imagine

Are Mellows expected to beat Clarinbridge handily enough? I'm not living in Galway, so don't get to watch as many club games as I'd like, but would have presumed it would be a 50/50?

I know the city clubs are producing good underage hurlers these days, but Castlegar went out with a whimper yesterday, and Rahoon-Newcastle seem destined for intermediate for another few years.

Hoping the AI win will put some spark back into the clubs around a city that was always a hurling town. Oranmore back in senior hurling would be a good start, with some of the Connie clubs close to the city producing a decent team in intermediate being a healthy sign.

Show those teams from around Loughrea and Gort what club hurling is about.

• Advertisement

What players ? Sice is finished at county level . Lundy never turned into the player he looked 4 or 5 years ago . Ian burke while around along time is only getting chance with county now . Molloy is probaly worth a look and should be brought in. Am I forgetting anybody ? Farragher got his chance this year too amd dosent look up to it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭MfMan

I certainly called it wrong anyway; thought on form to date M/M had a live chance, but they played like they didn't believe it. Corofin dominated almost totally and were tactically far ahead of their opponents. Ml Daly marginalised, almost literally - he spent a lot of the time unthreateningly tight to the sideline - and the shape of the team was probably wrong from the start. Felt sorry for Joe Bergin, tried might and main, (even if he did his usual of a good thing followed by a bad thing immediately), but Corofin, coached by Rochford in recent weeks, were always in command once they kicked the 2 early second half points. I don't think they will have it as easy going forward though, today's match was no test.

What players ? Sice is finished at county level . Lundy never turned into the player he looked 4 or 5 years ago . Ian burke while around along time is only getting chance with county now . Molloy is probaly worth a look and should be brought in. Am I forgetting anybody ? Farragher got his chance this year too amd dosent look up to it

I dont think Sice will be back. However, I think Bernard Power, Liam Silke, Kieran Molloy, Michael Lundy, Ian Burke, Michael Farragher, maybe Ronan Steede will all be somewhere around the Galway panel. Its very easy to say that they are not up to it. But I would love to see the players in Galway who are better options than these guys. I certainly haven't seen them in any of the club matches I have been to anyway. I'd also give Jason Leonard a chance in the FBD to see what he could do. He looks like a very intelligent player to me. Maybe not quite fast enough for county but worth checking out.

The problem is when Corofin get to an AI semi, they will be coming back into the Galway fray halfway during the league and its very difficult to integrate them into the panel then. Do you automatically drop a guy in decent form for Galway for a guy in devastating form for Corofin? It's probably the reason that it took Ian Burke so long to get a chance with the county. Like, take the Ian Burke example - he desperately needs a full league at county level behind him to improve. In any case, I have my doubts Galway will be doing anything special regardless of how many Corofin players they will have.

MfMan wrote: »
    I certainly called it wrong anyway; thought on form to date M/M had a live chance, but they played like they didn't believe it. Corofin dominated almost totally and were tactically far ahead of their opponents. Ml Daly marginalised, almost literally - he spent a lot of the time unthreateningly tight to the sideline - and the shape of the team was probably wrong from the start. Felt sorry for Joe Bergin, tried might and main, (even if he did his usual of a good thing followed by a bad thing immediately), but Corofin, coached by Rochford in recent weeks, were always in command once they kicked the 2 early second half points. I don't think they will have it as easy going forward though, today's match was no test.

Bad call starting Finnerty too. Didnt really have any impact on the game and would have been a good sub to bring on.

Are Mellows expected to beat Clarinbridge handily enough? I'm not living in Galway, so don't get to watch as many club games as I'd like, but would have presumed it would be a 50/50?

I know the city clubs are producing good underage hurlers these days, but Castlegar went out with a whimper yesterday, and Rahoon-Newcastle seem destined for intermediate for another few years.

Hoping the AI win will put some spark back into the clubs around a city that was always a hurling town. Oranmore back in senior hurling would be a good start, with some of the Connie clubs close to the city producing a decent team in intermediate being a healthy sign.

Bridge are in a rebuilding phase while mellows have been the team of the champ so far. But for the farcical system of letting 3 out of each group in senior B bridge would have been ran weeks ago

Oranmore were a real disappointment yesterday. Rahoon are one of those who could come from nowhere at any stage but have been very mediocre for a while.

I dont think Sice will be back. However, I think Bernard Power, Liam Silke, Kieran Molloy, Michael Lundy, Ian Burke, Michael Farragher, maybe Ronan Steede will all be somewhere around the Galway panel. Its very easy to say that they are not up to it. But I would love to see the players in Galway who are better options than these guys. I certainly haven't seen them in any of the club matches I have been to anyway. I'd also give Jason Leonard a chance in the FBD to see what he could do. He looks like a very intelligent player to me. Maybe not quite fast enough for county but worth checking out.

The problem is when Corofin get to an AI semi, they will be coming back into the Galway fray halfway during the league and its very difficult to integrate them into the panel then. Do you automatically drop a guy in decent form for Galway for a guy in devastating form for Corofin? It's probably the reason that it took Ian Burke so long to get a chance with the county. Like, take the Ian Burke example - he desperately needs a full league at county level behind him to improve. In any case, I have my doubts Galway will be doing anything special regardless of how many Corofin players they will have.

Will Lundy be back? He's been a real disappointment since 2014

Will Lundy be back? He's been a real disappointment since 2014

I think he probably will be because he's still young, his form for club this summer has improved (albeit from a low ebb) and Kevin Walsh seems to rate him highly enough (brought on regularly this year when he wasnt playing well). I wouldn't be getting rid of him just yet anyway.

I think he probably will be because he's still young, his form for club this summer has improved (albeit from a low ebb) and Kevin Walsh seems to rate him highly enough (brought on regularly this year when he wasnt playing well). I wouldn't be getting rid of him just yet anyway.

He'll be 28 next year so not exactly a spring chicken either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Very impressive performance from Corofin yesterday. The are better prepared than a lot of county teams and are so well conditioned.

Corofin were there to beaten in the earlier rounds when they looked tired. Should have been beaten by an average Annaghdown side.
    But they're just a different animal when they get to a county final.

Corofin don't really have stand out individuals, just have good players and leaders all over the pitch. In terms of the County team, Ian Burke,
    Silke and Power would be the only ones making a starting 15.

For M/M, they're just at a different stage of development. Another year should bring them on a lot. In terms of conditioning, they are a lot lighter than Corofin. Some nice footballers though. Barry McHugh won't be far off a starting position next year.

Thoughts on Mellows v Clarenbridge?

Bookies have them both at Evens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭h2005

What's Connie? Castlegar seem to be getting stronger be interesting to see how this minor team is integrated over the next few years.

djPSB wrote: »

One bookie has . Another is 8 to 15 mellows 7 to 4 the bridge . So that's makes the evens on mellows look a bit big and I think it is too amd they will win

djPSB wrote: »

Clarinbridge priced up on name and recent underage success really

Mellows have been very impressive all year (in the 3 group games I watched them in anyway). Littered with talent. Haran, C. Kavanagh and A. Morrissey are top club forwards and they've integrated last year's under 21s nicely. At the back Sean Morrissey and Mike Conneely have gotten caps for galway over the last two seasons

The Bridge are in a real transition period and are probably overachieving even getting this far.

The only thing is they're playing with momentum and the softer ground and unpredictable conditions can be a bit of a leveller at this time of the year

h2005 wrote: »
    What's Connie? Castlegar seem to be getting stronger be interesting to see how this minor team is integrated over the next few years.

Cashel have been awful unlucky in recent years

Three seasons ago they played Portumna (1st Round - reigning AI Champions) and Thomas's (back door - previous AI Champions) when it was the knock-out format.

last year they won two matches (vs eventual finallists Gort and Turloughmore) but lost out in the group to eventual champions St. Thomas's on score difference

Were comfortably the best team in Senior B this year

Might well be a dark horse next season. Would have beaten anyone but Portumna last weekend imo

Clarinbridge priced up on name and recent underage success really

Mellows have been very impressive all year (in the 3 group games I watched them in anyway). Littered with talent. Haran, C. Kavanagh and A. Morrissey are top club forwards and they've integrated last year's under 21s nicely. At the back Sean Morrissey and Mike Conneely have gotten caps for galway over the last two seasons

The Bridge are in a real transition period and are probably overachieving even getting this far.

The only thing is they're playing with momentum and the softer ground and unpredictable conditions can be a bit of a leveller at this time of the year

That's what I thought, Even money seemed generous.

Saw Mellows earlier in the year and they were impressive.

Didn't see Clarinbridge last weekend though so not sure what the standard was like. They do have a bit of momentum now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Galway get Mayo away in the quarter-final of Connacht next year. 3rd year in a row they've been drawn together. 6th year in a row they have met in Connacht.

On the plus side Galway have zero fear of playing Mayo. On the negative side the loser of that game faces a long journey to reach the Super 8's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭O.A.P

Happy with that, Mayo have started slow for the last couple of years and this draw will spoil their plans.
    Galway have the players no doubt about that, KW gets one more chance to make them a team so now or never.
    Good draw.

Bit of club football news, Aran islands have lodged an appeal against Williamstown fielding an "illegible player". Think a decision is imminent on that one, but certainly an interesting development. I don't know the ins and outs to comment

It was mentioned a few pages back as a suggestion, but it looks like cutting the county football senior championship may come to fruition. Not before time!

Am disappointed to be missing the hurling matches tomorrow and Sunday. mellows, Sarsfields, Gort wins I think!
    The other QF between Portumna/Craughwell is such a pick 'em. I think the winner will win the champ

Its a complete joke that Galway keep having to play 3 games in Connacht in recent years, plus always on Mayos side while Roscommon are on a beano every year getting Division 4 teams to qualify for a final.

They need to seed the thing where the winner goes into to the semi and the runner up gets the easier quarter final.

Last year we won the final yet Roscommon ended up getting a handy route for 2017 through pot luck.

The sooner the provincials go the better, these situations show how unbalanced the whole system is.

Great to see we got Offaly away so it's giving us two of the better teams at home.

Looking forward to KK taking a trimming in Pearse Stadium next summer and I'll make the trip to Wexford as a weekend break.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭dropping_bombs

Bit of club football news, Aran islands have lodged an appeal against Williamstown fielding an "illegible player". Think a decision is imminent on that one, but certainly an interesting development. I don't know the ins and outs to comment

When is the intermediate final scheduled for? I know the other semi final replay is this weekend, but that appeal could push things back even further.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement