Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Airport New Routes 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,234 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

VG31 wrote: »
    There's a Tunisia charter?

Sunway had one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭VG31

They didn't last summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,234 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

They didn't last summer.

They did this year as I remember it was cancelled. It was operated by Aer Lingus afaik.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/sunway-opens-helpline-for-those-due-to-fly-to-tunisia-1.2265797

(Also sorry for my horrific Subway mistake, they don't usually do charter flights)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

There was 2 weekly to charters to Tunisia and as stated above one by Aer Lingus.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Carnacalla wrote: »
    I agree, especially considering there's a travel ban on these places from Ireland atm. Wondering what they will be replaced with though, the more typical European hotspots or maybe somewhere new? Eg. Cape Verde would be nice.

Cape Verde would be a nice addition for someone like Thomson ! But probably too late to plan it for this summer ! Guess we will wait and see what they do in place of Sharm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,943 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Noxegon wrote: »
    Not at all. But it's dishonest to describe it as a "new route". I would have no problem with "new service".

Semantics, maybe, but when the same text gets copied verbatim by Dublin Airport on their site it does imply that this is a new destination that couldn't be reached from Dublin previously.

Anyway, I'm going to bow out of discussing this before I annoy a mod ;)

I'd agree with you with respect to the airport making such an announcement, but I think that the airline is perfectly entitled to do it.

The issue I have is an airline claiming that it is launching a service between two locations, and getting widespread publicity for it, when in fact they aren't launching such a service at all, but rather offering connections at a hub, in the same way that all of the major European airlines do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

lxflyer wrote: »
    The issue I have is an airline claiming that it is launching a service between two locations, and getting widespread publicity for it, when in fact they aren't launching such a service at all, but rather offering connections at a hub, in the same way that all of the major European airlines do.

From what I have read on WOW's press release they don't even mention Dublin. From my knowledge it appears that the Irish media has misguaged route announcements, again.

man98 wrote: »
    From what I have read on WOW's press release they don't even mention Dublin. From my knowledge it appears that the Irish media has misguaged route announcements, again.

So explain to me how so many Irish media outlets are claiming that the service will be from Dublin to California? They're hardly making that connection themselves.

I can't find the actual press release to Irish media anywhere online, but I really doubt that news outlets are creating this themselves.

If you recall when the Dublin-Keflavik route was launched, the WOW CEO was on Morning Ireland claiming that they were launching Dublin-Boston and Dublin-Washington flights, so they do have past form in doing this.

It just annoys me, as if there is to be fair coverage, then every time new connections are launched by other airlines, such as BA, Lufthansa, Turkish via their hubs, they should be getting similar coverage.

U.S airlines are currently announcing summer '16 new routes and changes so it'll be interesting to see if any changes come through for Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭lanomist

Was just on the Sun Express website and looking at their Summer schedule and there is nothing about flights from Dublin to Antalya. Their booking page doesn't even give an option of flying from Dublin 😡

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭VG31

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Khuitlio

Finally! Thought this route would be launched this year to be honest. Gone from just EI on this route this summer to EI, FR and A3 for summer 2016! Like CPH it could get interesting

ORD - (11 weekly) - 12 weekly eff 7 Apr, 13 weekly eff 6 Oct
    BDL - 4 weekly eff 28 Sep, Daily eff 6 Oct
    LAX - (org released at 5 but ORD takes a slot) 4 weekly eff 4 May
    EWR - 1 Daily eff 1 Sep
    BOS - 2 Daily
    JFK - 2 Daily
    SFO - 1 Daily
    YYZ - 1 Daily
    IAD - (4 weekly 332) - 5 weekly 752 eff 4 May, 5 weekly 330 eff 28 Sept
    MCO - (4 weekly) - 3 weekly

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Razor44

EI have cancelled there Copenhagen service. Mind you with fr sas and nax on it it was only a matter of time before someone blinked

Razor44 wrote: »
    EI have cancelled there Copenhagen service. Mind you with fr sas and nax on it it was only a matter of time before someone blinked

EI never been fussed by it this is third? cancellation, they couldn't manage against SK before DY/FR came along.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Looks like AC Rouge are planning a Vancouver service
    http://airlineroute.net/2015/11/25/zx-yvrdub-s16update1/?utm_source=hootsuite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Razor44 wrote: »

Loads were crap even with A319, schedule was a bit random as well

So who will go after SAS to ARN?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

Air Canada Rouge 3 weekly to Vancouver,another missed trick by EI as they were seriously considering it.

Looks like AC Rouge are planning a Vancouver service
    http://airlineroute.net/2015/11/25/zx-yvrdub-s16update1/?utm_source=hootsuite
    Bussywussy wrote: »
    Air Canada Rouge 3 weekly to Vancouver,another missed trick by EI as they were seriously considering it.

Confirmed: http://aircanada.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=953

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭arubex

Stobart's application for subsidised service between Carlisle and Dublin was successful, confirmed today by UK Government. Don't have any timelines yet but it will be a daily return service

Edit: also Carlisle to Belfast International! Strange route, doesn't really 'go' anywhere at either end. I'd be surprised if there is much origin-destination demand, but Stobart seem to think so...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Not necessarily, as EI have shown they are not afraid to go onto a route with a competitor. I'm sure there are 3/4 routes ahead of it in their list.

Dallas/Houston
    Miami
    Philadelphia
    Seattle

Although this could change things but aircraft availability is the issue and a cautious growth strategy.

arubex wrote: »
    Stobart's application for subsidised service between Carlisle and Dublin was successful, confirmed today by UK Government. Don't have any timelines yet but it will be a daily return service

Edit: also Carlisle to Belfast International! Strange route, doesn't really 'go' anywhere at either end. I'd be surprised if there is much origin-destination demand, but Stobart seem to think so...

Can't wait to see how that one works out. No routes operating from Carlisle at the moment.

Anyone from Carlisle wanting to travel by air it's 1hr20 to Newcastle Airport by road , 2hr20 by rail, same to Manchester by rail. But is there pent up demand to satisfy a daily flight to Dublin and Belfast? I suppose if they are still flying to Doncaster/Sheffield airport there's hope for services to these very small airports

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭circular flexing

June to October only as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Can't wait to see how that one works out. No routes operating from Carlisle at the moment.

Anyone from Carlisle wanting to travel by air it's 1hr20 to Newcastle Airport by road , 2hr20 by rail, same to Manchester by rail. But is there pent up demand to satisfy a daily flight to Dublin and Belfast? I suppose if they are still flying to Doncaster/Sheffield airport there's hope for services to these very small airports

Its a good route for a holiday trip to the Lake District.

Manchester and Liverpool are about the same distance, but a pain to get to the Lake District from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭737max

Ryanair have announced increased frequency to Liverpool from Dublin for Summer 2016.

City wing have been approved for subsidy(PSO) to fly Derry to Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭lc180

Any idea when that might possibly start?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Will that not impact on the Donegal to Dublin PSO as surely similer users?

lc180 wrote: »
    Any idea when that might possibly start?

Twice daily starting April 2016

An hour and 40 mins drive between the two airports for a start, UK government is funding this one just like the new Carlisle to Dublin PSO route, separate State PSO's that they are happy to fund as they 1) provide a vital service 2) provide business to small airports

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,589 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Barely if at all. Didn't impact it the last time there were two.

It takes roughly the same time to drive from CFN to LDY than it takes to drive from BFS to DUB; as an example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

will it be on the let 410?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

will it be on the let 410?

Presumably so. I wonder if they'll try for an EI codeshare for some routes? I'd imagine that would nearly boost the route into profitability, although maybe that's just wishful thinking for such a small route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭David086

Just noticed this on the Aer Lingus website, I assume it's some sort of connection flight or mistake? Can't seem to be able to find any flights for it either. Bahrain is visible too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Noxegon

That's probably their code share with Etihad – the Abu Dhabi flight continues to Muscat.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,589 ✭✭✭✭L1011

man98 wrote: »
    I wonder if they'll try for an EI codeshare for some routes?

I could see very legitimate reasons for EI not wanting their code on an LET410 operated flight. However, its about all that could possibly guarantee the routes survival - these aren't PSOs, they're part funding for airport and navigation charges only. Airline still has the other part and full staffing, fuel and airframe costs.

American increasing capacity on the Chicago run from next August from a 767 to a 777.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Jack1985

American increasing capacity on the Chicago run from next August from a 767 to a 777.

WOW! :)

Well this will give stand planners a big headache....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭TheFitz13

Can I ask where you got this info from? ☺️

• Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭737max

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Well this will give stand planners a big headache....

The kind of problem any airport operator would love to have.

TheFitz13 wrote: »
    Can I ask where you got this info from? ☺️

Here
    American Airlines hosted trade and media in The Shelbourne hotel. David Thomas, regional director for Ireland, Britain, Middle East and Africa (pictured), said American’s B777 Dublin-Chicago route, which launches in August 2016, will be a triple class service, an indication that the airline performed well in the Irish market last year, even with additional wide-body routes. David called American the largest airline in the world based on the number of aircraft (1,527) and its 7,000 daily departures, “five times the number of flights that London Heathrow operates a day”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭andy_g

Wow Air to go daily next summer with new routes via KEF to toronto, vancouver montreall and onto LAX an san francisco.

andy_g wrote: »
    Wow Air to go daily next summer with new routes via KEF to toronto, vancouver montreall and onto LAX an san francisco.

I think that you'll find that it is a daily flight to Keflavik from Dublin with separate connecting flights to those destinations.

I think it's important to make that distinction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I think that you'll find that it is a daily flight to Keflavik from Dublin with separate connecting flights to those destinations.

Agreed. That would be like implying every new Delta route from JFK or Atlanta that depart a couple of hours after arrivals from Dublin are "new Dublin routes" because of their convenient connections

• Advertisement

The key word is "VIA" and that's why Andy wrote it that way.

andy_g wrote: »

WOW air are also looking for an additional base outside Iceland to hub through due to Keflaviks tiny capacity and huge demand from Iceair etc. The airport can't keep pace with demand and may lose out, they are considering basing their A330's at this new base.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

That will be nice the 767 is almost as venerable as the AA Flight Crew that grumpily staff it! That said I prefer the 767 to TA 757's such as AA on DUB CLT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭andy_g

WOW air are also looking for an additional base outside Iceland to hub through due to Keflaviks tiny capacity and huge demand from Iceair etc. The airport can't keep pace with demand and may lose out, they are considering basing their A330's at this new base.

2 of the A330's are being leased by a Irish company, i cant confirm or deny that there maybe on of those on the dublin routings

The key word is "VIA" and that's why Andy wrote it that way.

I know that - but is that any different than BA offering a flight to Johannesburg via London Heathrow?

No one would report that as BA flying from Dublin to Johannesburg via London - it's a connection via London Heathrow.

• Advertisement
Advertisement