Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

awec wrote: »
    So the UAFC in-the-know guy just posted "Ulster have pulled the rabbit out of the hat. Unbelievable work from Bryn!!"

Is there any indication who it is? Want to guess?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,744 ✭✭✭✭bilston

jacothelad wrote: »
    So we've either signed Bugs Bunny but more likely Elmer Fudd.

Or he has cured Fez......

Just on Fez I was thinking the other day that for all the criticism that we throw at the Academy for not producing back row we should by rights at the moment have Stephen Ferris and David Pollock at the peaks of their career. If we had them then I don't think we'd be so focused on the lack of players coming out.

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Is there any indication who it is? Want to guess?

No names or indications. The guy who posts these things rarely gets excited, that is to say he isn't the sort of in-the-know to be a wind up merchant.

Otherwise I'd just dismiss this, however I'm inclined to think we've signed someone decent.

Someone with a good Irish name like Kieran would do for me.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Pocock hasn't officially signed on at Bordeaux yet, has he?

• Advertisement

The problem is you see a message like the one awec alluded to and I would now be disapointed if we don't get someone like Read or Pocock. That's ridiculous of course. We will just have to wait and see. I think the player I want most is Marcel Coetzee, and if we could add Jordi Murphy to that I'd be fecking delighted.

Imagine a back 5 of the pack of VDM/AOC, Hendy, Coetzee, Henry and Murphy. Add that to our backs and we'd be a serious proposition.

All that is a wet dream to be honest and unlikely of course but we can all dream

So there has already been a fair bit of movement in and out of Ulster for next season with more to come...

OUT
    Lewis Stevenson Exeter Chiefs (Immediate)
    Nick Williams Cardiff Blues
    Sammy Arnold Munster

IN
    Charles Piutau Auckland Blues via Wasps
    Rodney Ah You Connacht
    Kieran Treadwell Harlequins

Rumoured
    OUT
    Rory Scholes Saracens

IN
    Dom Ryan Leinster
    Cathal Marsh Leinster
    Sean Doyle Munster
    Big name back row...<insert name here>

Contracts still to be confirmed
    Luke Marshall
    Stuart Olding
    Jared Payne
    I'm sure there are others...

Potential Academy Promotions
    Lorcan Dow
    Jacob Stockdale
    John Andrew

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

An Ulster player going to Saracens?

Would someone please think of the children awec?!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

bilston wrote:
    Someone with a good Irish name like Kieran would do for me.

If Dawson comes out of retirement then all credit to Cunningham.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Buer wrote: »
    If Dawson comes out of retirement then all credit to Cunningham.

Maybe he'll bring Sean O'Hagan back with him (he's his head coach currently)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Scythica

So as far as the rumours go, its a big name from the RC;

We assume its a back rower, or at the very least... a forward.

Would brussow fit the bill as "the biggest name UR have signed?".

Just trying to think of some names who haven't been mentioned. Pocock was talked a lot but Hooper hasn't been at all either.

Scythica wrote: »

Just trying to think of some names who haven't been mentioned. Pocock was talked a lot but Hooper hasn't been at all either.

Hooper is signed up with Australia until 2018.

Does someone have a link to these rumours on UAFC? Because I can't find them!

Does someone have a link to these rumours on UAFC? Because I can't find them!

It's in the rumours section. I don't know, I think a few of the posters are just having a laugh. That's not to say Ulster haven't signed someone but other than the initial post by Kingofthehill it's all gibberish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

wasps have signed Piatau's brother. I wonder will they look to retain him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭blackdog1

bilston wrote: »
    So there has already been a fair bit of movement in and out of Ulster for next season with more to come...

OUT
    Lewis Stevenson Exeter Chiefs (Immediate)
    Nick Williams Cardiff Blues
    Sammy Arnold Munster

IN
    Charles Piutau Auckland Blues via Wasps
    Rodney Ah You Connacht
    Kieran Treadwell Harlequins

Rumoured
    OUT
    Rory Scholes Saracens

IN
    Dom Ryan Leinster
    Cathal Marsh Leinster
    Sean Doyle Munster
    Big name back row...<insert name here>

Contracts still to be confirmed
    Luke Marshall
    Stuart Olding
    Jared Payne
    I'm sure there are others...

Potential Academy Promotions
    Lorcan Dow
    Jacob Stockdale
    John Andrew

can't see Ulster signing Doyle and Ryan. Reidy probably has a contract and Ryan is a handy 7. The big signing will have to be an 8.

Kieran Read has a contract until 2017 so that rules him out. In fact with the Lions Series coming up that probably rules a lot of NZers out.

aimee1 wrote: »
    wasps have signed Piatau's brother. I wonder will they look to retain him

They can try

• Registered Users Posts: 16,982 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Kieran Read has a contract until 2017 so that rules him out. In fact with the Lions Series coming up that probably rules a lot of NZers out.

A player of that calibre would be unreal for the Pro12. Hope this rumour pans out to be something in that echelon.

Oh and also great for Ulster... yadda yadda....

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭The Black Stags

Neil3030 wrote: »
    A player of that calibre would be unreal for the Pro12. Hope this rumour pans out to be something in that echelon.

*please please please be Pocock*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

Pocock would be an unbelievable signing.... So much so that nobody will believe it until he shows up in white in Belfast and lines out in Ravenhill, still wearing white, and the game kicks off!

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

Just had a thought.... Maybe a certain Rutchie is realising that a life of not playing is a bit dull...

Just had a thought.... Maybe a certain Rutchie is realising that a life of not playing is a bit dull...

If they went out to get Pocock, they should just show him photos of our very impressive gym. Nobody is allowed to mention the weather though - if he asks tell him some guff about the jet stream..

Would have loved Richie to come up for one year before he hung up his boots but apparently he's now very busy - they're making a movie about his life/helicopter piloting/sponsorship commitments and taking part in the GodZone adventure race.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Wonder how Sexton's knock will affect PJs availability this weekend.
    Different team without him.

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Doubt he'd be available to Ulster either way unfortunately, I'm sure he'll have to travel to Paris even if outside the 23.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭blackdog1

awec wrote: »
    Doubt he'd be available to Ulster either way unfortunately, I'm sure he'll have to travel to Paris even if outside the 23.

If I was to guess it's a south African more than likely and the only 1 of real quality out there is Marcel Coetzee he's in Japan atm. Warren Whitley would be another.

Watched a highlights video of Stephen Ferris. Christ I miss him playing. One thing I had forgotten about him was just how fast he was too. He'd wait on the wing and just clatter people.

Really hope we good someone good for our backrow - but they'll never be as good as Ferris. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

awec wrote:

Yeah guess so.
    Dilemma of SO at 10 with place kicking not so hot or IH with all his myriad of defences.

Sinbad_NI wrote: »
    Yeah guess so.
    Dilemma of SO at 10 with place kicking not so hot or IH with all his myriad of defences.

Pienaar can kick.

• Advertisement

I know the needs of the team come first but I think Olding is wasted at 10.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement