Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Samsung Galaxy S3 Problems

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

O2 do aswell.
    They replaced my LG GT540 way back when and didn't have any problems with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭jsn.peters

Think I will give this phone a miss for the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Hi guys, the last couple of days all calls are going straight to voicemail. Whenever anyone tries to call me, there's no ringing, just right to voicemail. I've checked the call rejections / forwarding options and can't see anything there. Anyone experience this or have any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Erper

Branoic wrote: »
    Hi guys, the last couple of days all calls are going straight to voicemail. Whenever anyone tries to call me, there's no ringing, just right to voicemail. I've checked the call rejections / forwarding options and can't see anything there. Anyone experience this or have any ideas?

i have similar problem...
    my phone dont ring sometimes even if all sounds are on max...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Branoic wrote: »

Which network? Think Meteor/eMobile were having some trouble this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭squrm

Have a problem where if the battery is < 20% the phone restarts when I'm on calls. Can also restart itself if its in my pocket and I crouch down for a while (overheating?).

Just wondering if anyone else has come across this and is it sorted with the JB update? (still on stock ROM)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Kensington wrote: »
    Which network? Think Meteor/eMobile were having some trouble this week.

Meteor had a major mast down this week and some of last week in the meath area in anyway, dont know about the rest of the country. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Davyhal

I don't know if this has been stated before, but has anyone issues with the S3 not charging? I have mine about 2 and a half months now, and on Saturday night I noticed that when the battery was low, there was an exclamation mark over the battery, with the battery showing no bit of green at all... I don't recall if ever had this before... Battery then died. When I plugged it in to charge it (using the original charger that came with it), the battery just failed to charge. Charging light doesn't come on or anything. Tried charging with a few other chargers and still no luck. Also tried charging using the USB connection to my laptop, and still no luck. I tried taking the battery out for an hour and then trying again. and the same story yet again. I don't know if this is an issue with the battery, or with the micro-usb connection point. Has anyone any suggestions? Oh, and I didn't insure the phone (like a chump!)

Davyhal wrote: »
    I don't know if this has been stated before, but has anyone issues with the S3 not charging? I have mine about 2 and a half months now, and on Saturday night I noticed that when the battery was low, there was an exclamation mark over the battery, with the battery showing no bit of green at all... I don't recall if ever had this before... Battery then died. When I plugged it in to charge it (using the original charger that came with it), the battery just failed to charge. Charging light doesn't come on or anything. Tried charging with a few other chargers and still no luck. Also tried charging using the USB connection to my laptop, and still no luck. I tried taking the battery out for an hour and then trying again. and the same story yet again. I don't know if this is an issue with the battery, or with the micro-usb connection point. Has anyone any suggestions? Oh, and I didn't insure the phone (like a chump!)

well it seams as faulty battery, connector on the phone or even charger...
    try to wiggle the cable...
    it may star charging

Erper wrote: »
    well it seams as faulty battery, connector on the phone or even charger...
    try to wiggle the cable...
    it may star charging

Tried wiggling it, and putting in the charger at an angle (I used have to do this with my previous HTC Desire) but no luck. Also used a can of compressed air to clear the connection in case there was dust in there or something but it still isn't working. I don't think it's the charger because I also tried my spare charger and my housemate's charger and neither or them worked either :mad:

• Advertisement

Davyhal wrote: »
    Tried wiggling it, and putting in the charger at an angle (I used have to do this with my previous HTC Desire) but no luck. Also used a can of compressed air to clear the connection in case there was dust in there or something but it still isn't working. I don't think it's the charger because I also tried my spare charger and my housemate's charger and neither or them worked either :mad:

then only option is to go to store and ask them what might be the problem...
    and ask them for repairs...
    as i have sgs3 with some battery issues and other things and three representative told me to bring it to repair shop, no charge for that...
    and if they can fix it fine, if not, they give me new one

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭kenyard

if u know someone with another s3 get their battery n try it. see if that charges.
    i guess u are right. battery or charger.
    when its dead also it might take 5mins to show it is charging once plugged in. dont forget to give it time

Bizarrely, I saw on another forum just to leave the battery out for a few hours and then try again, and it's working fine now!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Wintergreen

This is a bit of a strange one (It's 4.04). If my phone is idle on the table, when I get a message my custom message tone plays, I get a short vibrate, screen comes on. All normal. But if I'm using my phone at the time with the screen on, my message tone doesn't sound and everything freezes completely for about ten seconds. During this time, the phone vibrates constasntly. Once that's done, the message icon appears at the top of the screen and I can read it.

It's been like this for some time now and is obviously quiet annoying! Anyone have any similar experiences and can help me here?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

I upgraded to This phone today from an s2. Had to get a new micro sim. What's the best method of getting all my messages, pictures videos and music onto the s3?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    I upgraded to This phone today from an s2. Had to get a new micro sim. What's the best method of getting all my messages, pictures videos and music onto the s3?
    smsbackup+

run on your s2 - it backs all your messages up to your gmail account - just install the app on the s3 and restore the messages then.

pictures and music - connect the s2 to a computer and copy them off it. connect the s3 and copy them there then.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

Samsung Kies.
    Backs up everything (SMS, pictures, contacts, music, documents etc). Seeing as it is from the same manufacturer and its FREE (which does no harm), it is 100% compatible with the S3 when restoring.
    Personally, given Google's appalling track record on privacy, I don't allow any of their apps to store any of my data on their servers....as much as I can to avoid /prevent it.
    Patsy fyre wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Decided to mess around with settings in accessibility, and hit on the one that does everything by double touch (for vision impairment?). Now can't turn it off because I can't scroll down a menu - has this happened to anyone else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

kaimera wrote: »
    smsbackup+

run on your s2 - it backs all your messages up to your gmail account - just install the app on the s3 and restore the messages then.

pictures and music - connect the s2 to a computer and copy them off it. connect the s3 and copy them there then.

Cheers, done most of it through WiFi direct, pity S Beam doesnt work with the S2.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Lemon_grass

Hi I just bought a shiny new S3 on Meteor. After turning on the phone it prompted me to install a software update, so I updated it.

But now the lock screen won't work, I have it set so that when I turn off the screen I should have to enter a pin, but when I press the home or power button it just jumps straight back into the screen I was previously on, without having to enter a pin.

Also my home button only seems to work to wake up the screen. It won't take me back to the main screen and holding it down doesn't give me the option to close opened apps.

Has anyone else had these problems? Apologies if this has all ready been discussed I couldn't see it anywhere in the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Lemon_grass

Hi I just bought a shiny new S3 on Meteor. After turning on the phone it prompted me to install a software update, so I updated it.

But now the lock screen won't work, I have it set so that when I turn off the screen I should have to enter a pin, but when I press the home or power button it just jumps straight back into the screen I was previously on, without having to enter a pin.

Also my home button only seems to work to wake up the screen. It won't take me back to the main screen and holding it down doesn't give me the option to close opened apps.

Has anyone else had these problems? Apologies if this has all ready been discussed I couldn't see it anywhere in the thread.

Just preformed a factory reset and it's running perfectly again.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭audi a4 2008

can anyone help.....lately my micro sd card comes up on screen as sd card blank or has unsuppurted files ...it comes and goes but its annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭kenyard

can anyone help.....lately my micro sd card comes up on screen as sd card blank or has unsuppurted files ...it comes and goes but its annoying

what happens when you plug it into a pc? (try usb adapter)

my guess is something is correupted on it, and if you plug it in and run a fix it shud resolve it.
    besides that a quick format.
    second is you may have music files or something when its scanning it finds but in unsupported type?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭viper006

Id really appreciate any help with the below problem as im really stuck.

My S3 has suddenly just stopped allowing me to make calls. when i try to ring someone it just beeps and says call ended straight away. When people try to ring me, they are unable to get through also. My texts work perfectly, great reception and internet is fine as is all other apps but i cant make/receive calls?

I turned off,rebooted, taken battery out for 10mins etc and no joy. Im beginnning to tink its a hardware issue and i might be fecked?? Anyone have any advice ?

viper006 wrote: »
    Id really appreciate any help with the below problem as im really stuck.

My S3 has suddenly just stopped allowing me to make calls. when i try to ring someone it just beeps and says call ended straight away. When people try to ring me, they are unable to get through also. My texts work perfectly, great reception and internet is fine as is all other apps but i cant make/receive calls?

I turned off,rebooted, taken battery out for 10mins etc and no joy. Im beginnning to tink its a hardware issue and i might be fecked?? Anyone have any advice ?
    Does the call timer ever start without you hearing the dial tone?

Get un-registered from the mobile network?

I'd return for a fix tbh - sounds close to the issue I had (the two items above were happening to me too)

Had the main board (I presume is the motherboard) replaced

hi ,

ya i press call and straight away it just said call ended..no one cud ring me either. I went into vodafone store today and got a new micro sim and luckily is working grand again now.

viper006 wrote: »
    hi ,

ya i press call and straight away it just said call ended..no one cud ring me either. I went into vodafone store today and got a new micro sim and luckily is working grand again now.
    Nice :)

Mine was an extreme case I guess (not isolated from reading online tho)

well i spoke too soon.. an hour later im having the exact same problem with this sim as well now. Looking like i have a more serious issue now like kaimera. thought i had it sorted and all :(

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Zith

I thought Kies would be for the job as well...

I backed up my S2 no problems. Set up the S3 and went to restore my stuff and basically out of the backup of all things it only allowed me to restore the contacts, photos, videos, music.

What it did not let me restore was: mail accounts, diary, notes. Most annoying was the mail accounts.
    Italia wrote: »
    Samsung Kies.
    Backs up everything (SMS, pictures, contacts, music, documents etc). Seeing as it is from the same manufacturer and its FREE (which does no harm), it is 100% compatible with the S3 when restoring.
    Personally, given Google's appalling track record on privacy, I don't allow any of their apps to store any of my data on their servers....as much as I can to avoid /prevent it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Mine is dropped texts, seem to be missing quite a few, although its obviously hard to tell when I miss texts... I am worried I am missing important stuff and blowing people off. Was gonna wait for JB and see does it fix it, emobile, any ideas?

Advertisement