Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,588 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

dulpit wrote: »

On a different point, I feel that this week has shown that there is a market for them to be on more often (daily even), the gap between Monday & Today's show felt very long.

I agree, but moving to Monday was still the right thing to do. Did feel like ages ago, though.

Get Murph to do a GAA show. On Tuesday. Problem solved!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,385 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Did they mention Rob Penney in yesterday's show? The description said yes, but I was listening while working so may have zoned out...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

dulpit wrote: »
    Did they mention Rob Penney in yesterday's show? The description said yes, but I was listening while working so may have zoned out...

Eddie O'Sullivan briefly talked about him at about 8 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

That's two Football Shows without Murph now. So that would seem to be that then. Normal service has resumed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Good to have kens rants unhindered. His defence of wenger though yesterday was pretty terrible. Like murph on the sports though

• Advertisement

adamski8 wrote: »
    Good to have kens rants unhindered. His defence of wenger though yesterday was pretty terrible. Like murph on the sports though

Unfortunately it looks like I spoke too soon. Apparently, Murph will be back on it in a couple of weeks. It's beyond me why they think it's better with him there, when it so clearly isn't...but, what can you do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

Does anyone else think that the football show is overly centered on the Irish National Team? Or more so Keane and O' Neill, I know this week is fine because we have internationals, but with so much happening this weekend they opened with the Irish football awards, which in its own right deserves coverage, but they don't cover the LOI at any stage, i'm not some sort of LOI warrior, I have no interst in it myself but the national team seems to be central to the show, even with that bloody Roy Keane promo in every show....Maybe it's just me but even when there is nothing happening they have something to say about the irish team.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

LOI got one mention last season, when Roddy Collins was in as a guest talking about the national team and they mentioned in passing that Athlone were promoted. it is poor form indeed.

Roy Keane is just soundbite heaven for sports reporters, hence all the jingles with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,385 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I think that football gets too much of a showing at times, they spend time in the regular show discussing what's coming up in the football show (they don't do that in reverse if football show is out first) and they still occasionally do football segments in the normal show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

Its pretty much the general sports show and then the david moyes show twice a week.

• Advertisement

What's the story with the surf holiday ads? They're exactly the kind of thing the lads would have taken the p*** out of back in the good old days.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    What's the story with the surf holiday ads? They're exactly the kind of thing the lads would have taken the p*** out of back in the good old days.

I laughed so hard at those. :P

Still, any ad is a good ad IMO, shows they're making some money out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

Simon Hick had a travel article in the Irish Times recently about a surf holiday he went on.

Interestingly, McDevitt had a travel article recently also.

I agree with the poster above, I hate hearing ads on the podcast, but I'm glad to hear them at the same time. I'm surprised there hasn't been more.

Really? Hmm. I do remember hearing something about them wanting to do more than sport, back when they left NT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Its been top quality stuff the last few weeks i must say.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Kilkenny14

Ken's apology to Brendan Rodgers in the style of George Orwell's 1984 was a highlight this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

Kilkenny14 wrote: »
    Ken's apology to Brendan Rodgers in the style of George Orwell's 1984 was a highlight this week.

This week? Highlight of the entire run, for me.

Even though my favourite sports are soccer, GAA and rugby in that order, my favourite contributor is definitely US Murph.

I thought it had lost it's momentum slightly there for a little while, but the past few weeks have been great again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭Cartman78

adamski8 wrote: »
    Its been top quality stuff the last few weeks i must say.

Yep...to really appreciate it, you should try to listen to 'Off the Ball' for a few mins :D

Woeful shoite altogether - the 2FM evening sports show is better than it now imho

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Even though my favourite sports are soccer, GAA and rugby in that order, my favourite contributor is definitely US Murph.

Agree 100% with this. I can't stand American Football, bores me to tears, but I'll gladly listen to US Murph talk about it because he makes it interesting. I think he's just one of those guys that, to use a cliche, could make reading out of the phonebook sound interesting.

I thought Sid Lowe contributed to the SC before? Haven't heard him in ages that I can think of...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

what happened the PBESOs??
    a friend of mine met himself in Paris after the match last weekend. was egging him to get a photo with #PBESO written on his face or something.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    I thought Sid Lowe contributed to the SC before? Haven't heard him in ages that I can think of...

He used to be on OTB all right, don't think I ever heard him on 2nd Capts.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭styron

It's only his third appearance of 2014 - nearly a dozen since last May ( no Statto nerdiness from me ... a name search of this).

I may be wrong, but I don't think Sid has been on the OTB since the lads left.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭Cartman78

foxtrot101 wrote: »
    I may be wrong, but I don't think Sid has been on the OTB since the lads left.

Haven't heard him on it either......I'm sure a man of his intellect wouldn't lower himself to a show with Colm Parkinson as a co-presenter :pac:

The main football analysis seems to come from Graham Hunter and Pat Nevin, two (imho) miserable dreary Scots who sound like they've spent the day sucking lemons

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭styron

The feedburner summary checks out with content for (at least) Sid's last five appearances on the football show: 20/3, 10/3, 9/1, 3/12 & 12/11. Safe to assume his other six are kosher.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Are the podcasts coming out today, the general sports one would normally be up by now, and I can't see any word on the twitter feed.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Ciaran

Are the podcasts coming out today, the general sports one would normally be up by now, and I can't see any word on the twitter feed.

It's up now.

For anyone, like me, who is all David Moyes'd out - Ken is a guest on this weeks Irish Times World View podcast...

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/world-view

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 themink

Anyone else finding Ken Early's voice a bit irritating? I have no problem with his regular speaking voice but he frequently breaks into this fake pseudo shouty voice on the podcast. Adds nothing & it would be much better if he cut this out i think. Apart from this I do like the show though

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement