Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I can tolerate even Miguel Delaney when Ken is involved. Do think Murph should stick to the GAA but I'm not as anti-Murph as most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

Do think Murph should stick to the GAA but I'm not as anti-Murph as most.

It's not about being anti-Murph, it's about being anti Murph on the football show. There is a difference. I don't think anyone would complain if he was given a bigger role in general show once the gaa season kicks off again.
    Swan Curry wrote: »

Anyway,here's to hoping this year goes well for the lads and that maybe they make their return to the radio waves.

Looks like the TV show is coming back . Hopefully it gets a longer run this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,596 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

If i could, I'd thank the above post twice. Defo agree about Murph, and glad to hear about the TV show.

Edit: hang on that tweet doesn't actually mention TV, does it?

*keeps clutching straws*

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    If i could, I'd thank the above post twice. Defo agree about Murph, and glad to hear about the TV show.

*keeps clutching straws*

Maybe the imminent 2FM shake up will bring the lads back to weeknights again...

We can only hope...

*keeps clutching straws*

I would much prefer a radio show too, but I think a successful TV show would see them getting back on radio eventually.

• Advertisement

Football show seems to be up early today. That'll do nicely to see out the rest of the day in work.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I'm catching up on missed Christmas episodes today.

I enjoyed the Christmas day and St. Stephen's Day Turkey Sports Sandwich shows, but I'd have preferred if they didn't bother putting in the interview reruns and just spent the time chatting, playing more funy clips like the "ayther!" one. Ken singing out the St. Stephen's day one was brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

Ken's always had a voice like an angel...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

I can tolerate even Miguel Delaney when Ken is involved. Do think Murph should stick to the GAA but I'm not as anti-Murph as most.

Ken picking on,arguing with and dismissing Delaney's opinions is almost as good as when he'd do the same to Graham Hunter on the old Off the Ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭JimboJones74

I would have been a Football show fan at star of podcasts, but now favour the "other" podcast.
    I find Ken to be a bit tiresome now (used to really like him). He cant seem to complete a show with screeching hysterically and putting on voices when discussing issues
    Eoghan: Good win for team x yesterday
    Ken: Was it Eoghan, was it. I MEAN COME ON, this team THIS TEAM is the most expensive team in the world, IN THE WORLD. It reminds me of Nero fiddling when Rome burned.......etc

Maybe I m been too harsh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,466 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I would have been a Football show fan at star of podcasts, but now favour the "other" podcast.
    I find Ken to be a bit tiresome now (used to really like him). He cant seem to complete a show with screeching hysterically and putting on voices when discussing issues
    Eoghan: Good win for team x yesterday
    Ken: Was it Eoghan, was it. I MEAN COME ON, this team THIS TEAM is the most expensive team in the world, IN THE WORLD. It reminds me of Nero fiddling when Rome burned.......etc

Maybe I m been too harsh

I enjoy the show, but he does his shouting thing at least once a show, which is a bit tiresome (and painful if listening via headphones).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭uggybear

Tweet from @SecondCaptains: Here's some good news! Second Captains Live will be back on RTE2 in March!

http://twitter.com/secondcaptains/status/426672704838565889

Tuesday shows will be on Monday from next week.

Tueday shows will be on Monday from next week.

Makes more sense really, get the after weekend news in...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,573 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Head to head with Football Weekly now so...

I'd like it if they moved the Tuesday Football show to Monday and did a nice round up of the weekend's action while it's still relevant. Then do a build up to the weekend on either Thursday or Friday. Not sure if that'd be a runner since I assume it's more convenient to get two shows done in the one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

Head to head with Football Weekly now so...
    You do know that podcasts don't go head right?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,573 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

You do know that podcasts don't go head right?

Well, they do. Many people listen to podcasts on their daily commute, which is of finite length, and so on a Monday evening, will have a choice between one or the other.

On a Thursday, I'll always catch Second Captains, but I'll only listen to Football Weekly Extra if there's nothing else out for Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭uggybear

Think it would be more ideal if the shows were moved to Monday and Friday, that way everybody has the chance to catch up during the week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

Well, they do. Many people listen to podcasts on their daily commute, which is of finite length, and so on a Monday evening, will have a choice between one or the other.

On a Thursday, I'll always catch Second Captains, but I'll only listen to Football Weekly Extra if there's nothing else out for Friday.
    Right, but then what fills the commute on Tuesday when you would presumably have previously listened to Second Captains. Does that not free up forty minutes to listen to Monday's football weekly.

You still have the same amount of time and there is still the same amount of media being produced.

• Advertisement

The timing of the change could have been better - Man. City v Chelsea next Monday night. Should have waited another week.

True, but it's Superbowl Sunday!

and the start of the 6 nations, but more people listen to the football show. So...

So it's a great few days for sport! :-)

Sadly it's nights like City V Chelsea that they're really missed off the radio.

I take you point, though...

The classic show this Thursday was brilliant.

Eoin talkin to O'Gara:
    "You're here to promote Viviscal for Men..."
    "Yeah, I'm lookin forwatrd to the Giftgrub during the week!"

Jerry Isenburg and US Murph on the Superbowl too. Fantastic.

Managed to fully catch up on the podcasts over the last week (had about 3 weeks of shows built up so binged over the last five days).

Murph on the Football Show is no longer as annoying to me as he originally was. Maybe I'm just resigning myself to it, idk. I'd still prefer if the Report on Sport was a Murph free zone though. IMO it should be a place for Ken to shine.

Was also glad to hear some ads in the most recent episodes. It's always a good indication of how well a podcast is going if there's ads in there IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Murph on the Football Show is no longer as annoying to me as he originally was. Maybe I'm just resigning myself to it, idk. I'd still prefer if the Report on Sport was a Murph free zone though. IMO it should be a place for Ken to shine.

Was also glad to hear some ads in the most recent episodes. It's always a good indication of how well a podcast is going if there's ads in there IMO.

I agree, I hate listening to ads, but it is a good sign for the sustainability of the "online radio show".

I wonder if Murph was asked to tone it down a bit for the football show? He's definitely talking over Ken less. It did get a bit annoying, I don't mind him being on the show, but I'd rather listen to Ken making an obscure comparison then Murph making a joke. Having said that, I like Murph.

Delighted that the TV show is returning also.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

There's a Second Captains Live Podcast being planned ...
    we’ll show some more love early next week with extra gear and news of a live show in Dublin city centre where the affectionate Ken Early will warmly embrace all attendees.

http://secondcaptains.tumblr.com/

Lovely Stuff, I went to a few OTB Live Shows, they were good craic.

wnolan1992 wrote: »

I have been trying to become resigned to it, haven't managed it yet. They must know themselves that his introduction hasn't improved it any. Eoin's thanks at the end of each FS is always quite loaded these days. A very deadpan "Thanks Ciaran", followed by a much more animated "Thanks Ken".

• Advertisement

foxtrot101 wrote: »
    I have been trying to become resigned to it, haven't managed it yet. They must know themselves that his introduction hasn't improved it any. Eoin's thanks at the end of each FS is always quite loaded these days. A very deadpan "Thanks Ciaran", followed by a much more animated "Thanks Ken".

I disagree. To be fair though, I come to this as someone who doesn't particularly have any interest in football, and probably wouldn't listen to the show except I'm a fan of the Second Captains as a whole. He (Murph) seems to approach the football show from a non-football fan's perspective, which helps get me engaged. I do obviously realise though that this impacts on the diehards, it's a tough balance for them I suppose.

On a different point, I feel that this week has shown that there is a market for them to be on more often (daily even), the gap between Monday & Today's show felt very long.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement