Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to Basics...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

shazkea wrote: »
    Sun Sept 4th

This was a late addition to the calendar and I signed purely to support this good cause. My mum was diagnosed with Breast Cancer earlier this year so I know first hand the good work these guys do.

I have a 3 mile easy run planned for later in the week so decided to swap schedule around and do this today. Start point was the Point Village with about 600+ turned up for it so a nice rosy atmosphere. We all had to wear some item of pink so it was worth the entry fee alone to see guys looking uncomfortable in their pink t-shirts :D.

Weather was pretty nasty for this and as soon as we took off, it started bucketing down and a "lovely" wind blowing in from the liffey. About half hour after the race the sun shone again...bloody typical and I blame the fact I wore shorts!

Anyway easy run my ass - easy run meant I should finish in ~31 mins. Finish time was 26:58 which is a PB by a minute :rolleyes:.

I've only done 3 5Kms and each of these were only a few weeks after coming back from injury. Note to self do a 5km when I'm well into training and get rid of this soft PB.

Distance: 3.10
    Time: 26: 58 (PB :o)
    Avg Pace: 08:42
    Em hello thats brilliant well done. I dont think i have ever run 5k in 26 mins. Actually i know i haven't. Just take it bloody easy the rest of the week you are meant to be coming back slowly ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭runrabbit

Nice run today! Great time too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

A PB is a PB - so congrats on that! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Great run Shaz......:)

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Well done Shaz :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

Only a couple of weeks back into training and you're bagging a pb! Brilliant stuff shaz :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Well done Shaz!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Savage going. I see you're another example of the 'less training, the better' mantra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

chinguetti wrote: »
    Savage going. I see you're another example of the 'less training, the better' mantra.

:D If only that strategy worked for the marathon, I'd be sorted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Great stuff Shaz! Well done on the pb :)

• Advertisement

Cheers for the thanks and messages; it was really nice to do a race again :)

Mon Sept 5th

Would I get away with saying that I followed Nules & Ruby's advice on taking it easy today??
    Nah I didn't think so ;)...truth was I didn't want to get soaked again today so opted for gym instead. Then I couldn't be bothered getting on the treadmill so decided to do a cross-training session instead. Followed this up with a good stretching session. Will HTFU and get out in the rain tomorrow eve.

Cheers for the thanks and messages; it was really nice to do a race again :)

Mon Sept 5th

Would I get away with saying that I followed Nules & Ruby's advice on taking it easy today??
    Nah I didn't think so ;)...truth was I didn't want to get soaked again today so opted for gym instead. Then I couldn't be bothered getting on the treadmill so decided to do a cross-training session instead. Followed this up with a good stretching session. Will HTFU and get out in the rain tomorrow eve.

Hmmm i am going to have to have stern words with you young lady (culchie) :D

Nules10 wrote: »
    Hmmm i am going to have to have stern words with you young lady (culchie) :D

Im shaking in my cycling shoes :D:D

Tues Sept 6th

A nice easy run in the wind...well it was nice and easy in the second half with the wind at my back :)

Plan: 2 miles
    Actual:2.02...I do actually follow the plan at times ;)
    Time: 19:50
    Avg Pace: 09:50

Im shaking in my cycling shoes :D:D

And so you should be the bloody state of them :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Whats your LSR plan this week :rolleyes: ?

Nules10 wrote: »
    And so you should be the bloody state of them :eek:

You're just jealous and there's no point denying it :cool:
    pistol_75 wrote: »
    Whats your LSR plan this week :rolleyes: ?

P since you're now a splitter from the Sat group, I'm not sure I should reveal my plans :p.
    Suffice to say it's still less than your short midweek runs :o

P since you're now a splitter from the Sat group, I'm not sure I should reveal my plans :p.
    Suffice to say it's still less than your short midweek runs :o

I'm not a splitter. I just go with whoever will have me on any given weekend.:(

pistol_75 wrote: »
    I'm not a splitter. I just go with whoever will have me on any given weekend.:(

You're easy then!:pac:

Mr Slow wrote: »
    You're easy then!:pac:

Been called worse. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Well done on the 5k pb Shaz, congrats! Great to see you're getting back to it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Hey Mrs I thought you were easing yourself back into things :eek: !! Well done on the PB, excellent stuff:D

Sat Sept 10th

I've had a dose of that crappy cold all week and no energy so decided to miss a short run and couple of gym sessions during the week. I was a bit wary of doing the planned run today as I still wasn't feeling the may west. Decided to have some Berocca half hour before run to see if that helped with energy levels.

The first few miles went great and I enjoyed the wind and skipping over flying dustbins :rolleyes:. But a wave of nausea hit me about mile 3 and my stomach was in bits. I was a couple of miles from home so no choice but to keep going but it was really a stuggle. At 3.5 miles on the dot I had my first puke, I walked for a few seconds after but I really, really needed the toilet so had to start running again. A couple of mins later another puke so another min of walking. Remainder of mile I had to alternate between walking and all out sprints to get home quickly - it was the worst feeling ever :eek:

Plan: 5
    Actual: 5.01 (had the route planned perfectly which turned out be a bad idea!)
    Time: 51:54
    Avg Pace: 10:22 (not too bad since it included walking, puke stops and sprints!)

Moral of story, berocca and running don't mix well for me

Doesn't sound pretty Shaz, but at least there was no pikey poo! ;)

You poor pet. That sounds like a nightmare! :eek:

Doesn't sound pretty Shaz, but at least there was no pikey poo! ;)

:D No but I can't deny being tempted!!
    Emer911 wrote: »
    You poor pet. That sounds like a nightmare! :eek:

Sure what doesn't kill you makes you stronger and all that!!

Mon Sept 12th

Debated whether to go to gym or not for this as my midweek runs are by the coast which was slightly windy this eve! Told myself not to be a wuss and get out in the fresh air. Really glad I did as it was such an enjoyable run even with the breeze.

Plan: 2 miles
    Actual: 2.50
    Time: 24:17
    Avg Pace: 09:42

Mon Sept 19th

Life, work and a bout of laziness meant I did nothing last week. So I made time this evening and headed out for an easy 3 miles. It was a very relaxed run but when I finished I got really dizzy and couldn't breathe. It looks like this stupid virus is still in the system :(...

Plan: 3 Miles
    Actual: 3.02
    Time: 29:55
    Avg Pace: 09:55

It looks like this stupid virus is still in the system

Drugs, drugs and more drugs, let no virus come between you and your run! ;)

• Advertisement

Drugs, drugs and more drugs, let no virus come between you and your run! ;)

You are such a man!

...never mind him Shaz. Take it easy and listen to your body! Take time off if you need it. listen to mammy now! :rolleyes:

Advertisement