Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to Basics...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

That is an absolutely amazing and inspiring report, well done :cool:

[To think I would have missed it, had I not been in Ryans after the race today!]

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Caprica

Congratulations to you and your brother Shazkea. Great report.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Shaz, i applaud you on reaching the top of Africa.

Well done to you and your brother, highly inspiration report i have to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Mon Aug 22nd

Time to get back to running again and it's been a loooong time since I've run properly, so I'm starting at the beginning again to build back up. I'm following a half program that will increase slowly in time for Waterford half.

Run
    Plan: 1.5 miles
    Actual: 1.51 Miles
    Time: 14:13
    Avg Pace: 09:25

Cycle:
    Decided to follow run up with a cycle on the road bike so a quick transition in the house and I was back out again. Nasty cold at the moment so I struggled with breathing. Fortunately I've had plenty of practice with that for last 2 weeks!!
    Distance: 20km
    Time: 40:05
    Avg Speed: 29.94 kmph

Note to self: get gel saddle cover coz ouchy on these roads :eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Well done and welcome back :) all you are missing now is the swim leg ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Shaz.... Thanks for the encouragement on Saturday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Just catching up. Fantastic achievement for both or you.

Marathons will be a piece of cake for you now !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭PDCAT

Great report and congratulations on a wonderful achievement.

Tues 23rd Aug

Day 2 of return to running plan and a whole 2 miles was on the agenda! Feel weird logging runs that are so short but I am determined to stick to a sensible plan...lets see how long this lasts :rolleyes:.
    Lovely run along the estuary - really missed those runs.

Distance: 2 Miles
    Time: 19:02
    Avg Pace: 09:26

Back in March I went to Amphibianking for Gait Analysis and they put me in neutral Saucony Triumphs. I had been in Asics Kayanos for a few years before that but was finding them very heavy. I was never really convinced that I was a neutral runner so I went back to Bray store last week for another review.

After this review I am now in Brooks Trance as it turns out I am a pronator and do need supportive shoes. Never been a Brooks babe before so curious to see how these go! To be fair to AK, they took responibility for the bad advice and gave me a good deal on new runners. My fault also as I really should have gone back to them sooner...impressed with AK though and good customer service.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

shazkea wrote: »
    Feel weird logging runs that are so short but I am determined to stick to a sensible plan...lets see how long this lasts :rolleyes:.
    Don't feel weird about it - I've logged a run as short as 7-10 minutes when I was coming back from injury! Better than forcing yourself out for something a lot longer and doing yourself more damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭captain P

Note to self: get gel saddle cover coz ouchy on these roads :eek::eek:

Got one of these a few weeks ago, can highly recommend it so far :)!! http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=56155

Don't feel weird about it - I've logged a run as short as 7-10 minutes when I was coming back from injury! Better than forcing yourself out for something a lot longer and doing yourself more damage.

Very true, ta. Patience is a vitue I don't have!!
    captain P wrote: »
    Got one of these a few weeks ago, can highly recommend it so far :)!! http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=56155

Cheers Capt P, picked up a cheap gel saddle cover in Tesco the other eve so will try that out tomorrow eve. If it doesn't do the trick, I'll be ordering your suggestion :)

Wed Aug 24th

3 days running in a row, woot, woot!! I know distances are nothing but it's along time since I've done that!

Plan: 1.5 miles @ easy pace of 10:15 - 10:30 (trying to train myself to do 3rd consecutive day at very easy pace)

Actual: 1.62 @ 09:50 pace - fail!!

Everytime I looked at flipping Garmin, it was 09:30 on the button so really struggled to slow right down. Also very hard to do that on such a short run; you're finished before you can get into a rhythm. Must learn to stick to planned easy pace tho for these days.

LSR of 3 miles on Sat :o...so wrong calling that an LSR! May go to park to hook with gang for your first 3 miles and then I'll switch to bike to get that session in...2 birds with one stone and all that so I can have a lie in on Sun!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

LSR of 3 miles on Sat :o...so wrong calling that an LSR! May go to park to hook with gang for your first 3 miles and then I'll switch to bike to get that session in...2 birds with one stone and all that so I can have a lie in on Sun!!

Hope to see you there.

Sat Aug 27th

Met up with the boards group to do my few little "LSR" miles and then left them to get on the bike and stretch the legs. First time cycing in the Phoenix Park and I had some serious fun on those hills...couple of "interesting" moments in the rain :rolleyes:. I really enjoyed this though even if it was windy and rainy in parts. Great to be back in park.

Run:
    Distance: 3.02 miles
    Time: 29:16
    Avg Pace: 09:43

Cycle:
    Distance: 45.03 Km
    Time: 1:48
    Avg Pace: 24.92 kmph

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Great to have you back :)

Mon Aug 29th

Another silly short run this evening. Stretching routine after is same duration as run :rolleyes:. Keep having to remind myself this is for the greater good and stick to the 10% weekly rule!!

Plan: 1.5
    Actual: 1.71
    Time: 16:00
    Avg Pace: 09:25

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Hi Shaz,

Keep the faith, you'll be eating miles soon, gan dabht!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

Delighted for you that all's going well with your return to running shaz!

• Advertisement

Tues Aug 30th

This was a sanity run so kinda ignored the plan...it was better for everyone else if I did :rolleyes:. Ignored the Garmin and just ran comfortably.

Plan: easy 2.5 @ 10:15
    Actual: 3.01
    Time: 28:58
    Avg Pace: 09:38

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Great to see you back missus. Remember - EASE yourself back in SLOWLY!! I want to see you back long-term! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

claralara wrote: »
    Great to see you back missus. Remember - EASE yourself back in SLOWLY!! I want to see you back long-term! :)

The only problem I have with that is if Shaz is racing, who's going to warn us when that sniper Digger is creeping up behind?

claralara wrote: »

No fear there - I've planned a whole 1.5 easy run this evening...if I can stick to the plan that is!!
    Mr Slow wrote: »
    The only problem I have with that is if Shaz is racing, who's going to warn us when that sniper Digger is creeping up behind?

No worries, I'll be there at the half to warn people the sniper is creeping up. After that, well you are all on your own :)

Wed Aug 31st

Plan 1.5 @ easy pace (10:30)

I don't like saying this but I hated this run. I understand the concept of easy/recovery runs but tonight intentionally slowing right down just bugged me. That and the fact when I was finished I felt like I had done nothing :mad:. I guess easy run accomplished and its just something I have to get used to.

We won't mention that I didn't stick to planned distance either...

Distance: 2.05
    Time: 21:18
    Avg Pace: 10:23

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

.... I hated this run....intentionally slowing right down just bugged me.... I felt like I had done nothing

Sounds to me like you are getting the return from injury just about right. I wish I could finish runs feeling like I had done nothing *sigh*.

pgmcpq wrote: »
    Sounds to me like you are getting the return from injury just about right. I wish I could finish runs feeling like I had done nothing *sigh*.

Chin up, you'll be back soon hopefully. I know how frustrating it is to be on the sidelines and you're right, I should just be grateful I am back running. Never happy :)

Fri Sept 2nd

"LSR" time again and 3.5 was on the plan. I was supposed to do this tomorrow morning but due to planned red wine headache in the morn, I decided to do it tonight instead.
    I also knew there was not a chance I would stop at 3.5 and it would be rounded up to 4...runners OCD, just don't like .5 at end of a training run :rolleyes:

Plan: 3.5
    Actual: 4.05
    Time: 39:06
    Avg Pace: 9:40

Now where's that corkscrew ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Delighted to see you back at it Shaz. Mind yourself and all that, I totally understand how frustrating it is to try and be patient. Im so jealous of your 4 miles!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

Great stuff shaz, you're on the right road now ;)

• Advertisement

Sun Sept 4th

This was a late addition to the calendar and I signed purely to support this good cause. My mum was diagnosed with Breast Cancer earlier this year so I know first hand the good work these guys do.

I have a 3 mile easy run planned for later in the week so decided to swap schedule around and do this today. Start point was the Point Village with about 600+ turned up for it so a nice rosy atmosphere. We all had to wear some item of pink so it was worth the entry fee alone to see guys looking uncomfortable in their pink t-shirts :D.

Weather was pretty nasty for this and as soon as we took off, it started bucketing down and a "lovely" wind blowing in from the liffey. About half hour after the race the sun shone again...bloody typical and I blame the fact I wore shorts!

Anyway easy run my ass - easy run meant I should finish in ~31 mins. Finish time was 26:58 which is a PB by a minute :rolleyes:.

I've only done 3 5Kms and each of these were only a few weeks after coming back from injury. Note to self do a 5km when I'm well into training and get rid of this soft PB.

Distance: 3.10
    Time: 26: 58 (PB :o)
    Avg Pace: 08:42

Advertisement