Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annoying things that happen on a flight

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭on the river

fussyonion wrote: »
    Why do you bother flying if all these things annoy you so much?

For the excitement and meeting flying people

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

Flight from Amsterdam to Los Angeles... Steerage class.. Work trip flying solo.. Sitting next to a 60 year old"cowboy".. Hat and all .. With a bad flaky skin condition..

He effectively SNOWED on me for >10 hours while he picked his arms and elbows and hands... Yuck!!.

My food trays came and went.. I was hungry but could not eat due to the snow.........

Stomach just said NO!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I find the only way to cope with drunk obnoxious rowdy holidaymakers on a flight is to get absolutely shiitefaced. Although I hate being drunk on a plane, headache guaranteed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

fussyonion wrote: »
    Why do you bother flying if all these things annoy you so much?

I don't like going to the GP's for various reasons so according to you I shouldn't bother at all...

...I don't like taking buses for various reasons so according to you I shouldn't bother at all...

...get the message?

And I bother flying because it's the only convenient way of getting from A to B.

Never thought I'd have to explain that on AH but hey, it's a new low.

Moreover, nothing worse than when someone throws their prosthetic leg at cabin crew. If it's not legless drunks it's other legless passengers.

• Advertisement

I don't like going to the GP's for various reasons so according to you I shouldn't bother at all...

...I don't like taking buses for various reasons so according to you I shouldn't bother at all...

...get the message?

And I bother flying because it's the only convenient way of getting from A to B.

Never thought I'd have to explain that on AH but hey, it's a new low.

Very true indeed.

Tell me Ryanair or aerlingus?

Tell me Ryanair or aerlingus?

Who cares? :confused:

Who cares? :confused:

You should.
    With your flying expertise and all that

You should.
    With your flying expertise and all that

I've got flying expertise now? :eek:

I've got flying expertise now? :eek:

You must with the expression in some posts.
    So tell me up top or down low in the seating arrangements on planes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Being diverted. Happened twice to me. First time was on the way home from Tenerife to Heathrow and we diverted to Madrid. Had to swap planes due to engine failure! :eek:

Second time was on the way home from Majorca to Dublin. We ended up in Shannon due to thunderstorms over Dublin. Spent three hours in Shannon and flew on to Dublin only to land in a thunderstorm. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭mudabi

When we are on final approach with the aircraft fully configured for landing, everything going well and my first officer says something that puts my mind back to the good old days...ah yeah, 24 hour sessions in Ibiza, watching the sun come up with a gang of mates. Before I know it i snap out of it and we are on the ground taxiing in and my first officer is looking at me as if I was the one who was supposed to land the aircraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Went to America 11 years ago, the in-flight movie was Far & Away with Tom Cruise and that horrible accent of his. There was some other Oirish film that was equally terrible.

On the way home, they played those 2 movies again :(

Coming home from Santa Ponza on what seemed like Con Air for children, just so many screaming and crying little punks throughout the entire flight.

I eventually managed to pass out but I woke up when we landed in Shannon to the pungent aroma of vomit and poo that was horrific along with the still screaming and crying children. Most people on the flight had their mouths covered so somebody made an awful mess somewhere, I was hungover and couldn't hack this thick hot air of arse and stomach content fumes I had to breath in.

Door opened and we were greeted with black clouds and pissing rain, holiday was well and truly over then.

Our flights over in America were fùcked up this year from cancelled and delayed flights due to maintenance and "We can't find our pilot".

The worst was when we were put on a small propeller plane for what was supposed to be a short flight. It had broken air conditioning and the plane refused to take off unless 6 people volunteered to leave so everyone sat there for an hour boiling inside this plane with an intense summer sun beaming through the windows.

The engines finally started and was the loudest fùckin' thing I'd ever heard, the entire plane was rattling and shaking and felt like it was held together with blu-tak. Nobody could talk because you couldn't even hear your own voice if you shouted and sweat was just dripping off me. The seats on that plane were probably rank after all of us oozing our juices into their fabric.

Felt bad for the air hostess though, she had to put up with this shìt for 3 more flights after us and she looked like she was dunked in a bath.

I knew that plane was fùcked because we got on a same model plane a week later and it didn't sound like it was chewing gear cogs while cooking everyone inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Turbulence. Flights are long and scary enough without the captain pressing the bell 3 times before mumbling something about seatbelts and cabin crew back to positions and all just before I was about to get that beer.

Then the plane that you've finally started to relax on after being in the air for 2 hours feels like it's about to be thrown out of the sky. I ****ing hate that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

People who take a dump on the plane, flew gatwick to cork recently the plane seat belt lights were just off and they were heading for the jacks, the smell started, it was coming through the air vents it was everywhere the flight attendants starting spraying duty free perfume to mask the smell. It was pretty bad.
    There is no excuse for anyone to take a beer ****e on a short flight like that, there was toilets as far as the gates.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Loud children or a malfunction of your mp3 player. A combination of the two doesn't bear thinking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

"Milk"

I swear it was one of those little plastic UHT things and I definitely didn't take any Neurofen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

When the wing falls off or someone opens the back door for a crafty fag. Grinds my gears no end.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

DJs on painkillers and alcohol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Strumms wrote: »

The two posh auld ones who arrived on board late, carrying their designer shopping bags without a care in the world and the flight attendant who rewarded them with a smile, some sympathy and a glass of water, I arrived on time and got none of the above.

Hmmm most people

It's the squeeky wheel that gets the oil.

• Advertisement

Not so much reclining (I can handle that) as those people who seem to believe that repeatedly pushing themselves into the back of their chair is somehow going to make it recline an extra few degrees.

People who aren't ready for security, including the inevitable dopey idiot who is like "oh really, I can't take all those cosmetics in my bag?" as if they've been asleep for the last 10 years. A simple rule: if you haven't got your **** together by the time you get to the security check - back of the queue. That would sort it our overnight and halve waiting times.

Not annoying so much as amusing - people who can't last a short haul flight without buying some unpleasant item to eat or drink.

Turbulence in the jax

• Registered Users Posts: 8,111 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Not so much reclining (I can handle that) as those people who seem to believe that repeatedly pushing themselves into the back of their chair is somehow going to make it recline an extra few degrees.

People who aren't ready for security, including the inevitable dopey idiot who is like "oh really, I can't take all those cosmetics in my bag?" as if they've been asleep for the last 10 years. A simple rule: if you haven't got your **** together by the time you get to the security check - back of the queue. That would sort it our overnight and halve waiting times.

Not annoying so much as amusing - people who can't last a short haul flight without buying some unpleasant item to eat or drink.

Turbulence in the jax

That's called diarrhea.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Mr Keek

People who use my seat back as a crutch to prop themselves up to get out of there seat.

Was sitting in front of some fat prick and every time he got up from his seat he used my seat back as a crutch to get himself out. First couple times I was OK about it, but after the third time I waited for Him, and when I felt him pulling my seat back, I pressed my recliner button. His pressure cause the seat to collapse straight back and I heard him him fall back onto to the seat like a tonne of lard.

I had a chuckle! Few of my fellow passengers found it entertaining too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Hold the Cheez Whiz

I never, ever eat airline food and always travel with my own, so I am sympathetic to people who want to brign their own food with them onto the plane. However, people who bring hot, greasy food onto planes should be flogged. We are in an enclosed space for the next two hours - do we really need to smell your nasty McDonald's fish sandwich and fries as well? Ugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 beta maximum

DrumSteve wrote: »
    When I was flying to Canada the chap sitting beside me covered himself in a towel and masturbated for the majority of the flight...

I call BS on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

I fuking hate recliner people.

Just don't do it.

Or everybody has to do it.

Just sit down

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Russian separatists with surface to air missiles annoy the ****e out of me when flying.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Farting.
    When Aer Lingus run out of Blaas.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Aglomerado wrote: »
    Farting.
    When Aer Lingus run out of Blaas.
    Just remember, on a plane, you are CONTINUOUSLY being farted on. Everyones at it, non-stop, cus no one thinks you can hear them.

Dirty feckers.

*parp*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭hairybelly

I think people who get mad at others reclining seats need to lighten up a bit. It's one of the most least invasive things you can do.

Advertisement