Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annoying things that happen on a flight

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I find it funny, not annoying when people on a short cheap hop to a city break in Europe think they are the high flying, exclusive elite first class and get annoyed at kids being kids.

You're a commoner with other commoners on a bus with wings for a couple of short hours.

Get over yourself, It's not 1957 ;).

Kids being kids does not cut the mustard here. Some are very unruly and their parents don't bat an eyelid sometimes.

I once had a child kick my leg repeatedly and the mother said nothing, just smiled at me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I understand for overnight flights, but for the two hours we're all stuffed on here, can you please sit up straight? Tilting the seats back on a plane only really works when everyone has them tilted back - otherwise your knees get crushed if you are over 5'6", and it is difficult to work on a laptop or eat or otherwise use the pull-down tray.

Not my problem.
    I don't care if the flight's two hours; if I want to recline, I'll recline.
    If you've an issue with that, take it up with the airline.
    I have to wait for EVERYONE to recline before I do?!
    Don't think so!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Hold the Cheez Whiz

fussyonion wrote: »
    Not my problem.
    Don't think so!!

It wouldn't matter so much that the seat was tilted back if the airlines hadn't reduced the amount of space in-between seats so much. It's this kind of ME ME ME approach to shared space that makes being on a flight, or on the bus, tube, etc. so unbearable nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

Snakes

• Registered Users Posts: 9,549 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Misticles wrote: »
    Kids being kids does not cut the mustard here. Some are very unruly and their parents don't bat an eyelid sometimes.

I once had a child kick my leg repeatedly and the mother said nothing, just smiled at me.

You have five choices.

1 - Politely talk to the parent

2 - Nicely ask the child not to kick you.

3 - Fly first class.

4 - Buy a private jet.

5 - Charter a jet.

I'd go for number four if I could afford it, but I just checked my wallet and surprise surprise, I can't right now. So, I'd go for number two.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

You have five choices.

3 - Fly first class.

4 - Buy a private jet.

5 - Charter a jet.

I'd go for number four if I could afford it, but I just checked my wallet and surprise surprise, I can't right now. So, I'd go for number two.

You could always ask the parent if he/she has heard of Ian Huntley and then wink at them...usually scares them off

Not my problem.
    Don't think so!!

The celtic tiger introduced some classy people to flying.

You have five choices.

3 - Fly first class.

4 - Buy a private jet.

5 - Charter a jet.

Referring to number 1: I looked at the mother the second time it happened- all she said was oh don't dirty the woman's trousers. Not don't do that again etc

Referring to number 2: why should I parent the child or in any way communicate with the child? I don't board a plane to have to make chit chat with a toddler. The mother clearly saw her sinking the boot into my leg on more than one occasion and didn't tell her to quit it.

Number 3: I could fly first class and still encounter the same problem.

4 and 5 seem a bit too much effort at the moment, maybe next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Luke92

Reclining seats when you really don't need too! Im only like 5'7, I'd hate to be a 6 foot bloke with gigantic legs!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

You have five choices.

3 - Fly first class.

4 - Buy a private jet.

5 - Charter a jet.

You'll still get kids in first class. Children aren't an exclusive property of the "commoner". I wouldn't talk to a child, because, to be fair, a child is more concerned with other things. I'd talk to the parent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

I have a sort of default position when I travel on public transport, trains, planes, buses etc, where I just fcuking hate whoever sits beside me or in front of me or behind me or anywhere near me just because.

Get out of my personal space and quit moving around and talking and making noise and kicking my seat and reclining your seat into my face (ESPECIALLY those ones, those ones need to die a horrible death immediately)

So things like plane journeys don't work out so well for me.

Referring to number 1: I looked at the mother the second time it happened- all she said was oh don't dirty the woman's trousers. Not don't do that again etc

Looking isn't talking.
    why should I parent the child or in any way communicate with the child?

Why should you communicate with a child? Communicating with a child isn't parenting! Why communicate? To ask him/her to stop hitting you. This is fairly basic stuff.
    Number 3: I could fly first class and still encounter the same problem.

Could or did?

dudara wrote: »
    You'll still get kids in first class. Children aren't an exclusive property of the "commoner". I wouldn't talk to a child, because, to be fair, a child is more concerned with other things. I'd talk to the parent.

Fair enough, at least you'd have the cop to talk to the parent instead of looking at them.

Looking isn't talking.

Why should you communicate with a child? Communicating with a child isn't parenting! Why communicate? To ask him/her to stop hitting you. This is fairly basic stuff.

Could or did?

Well my disapproving look highlighted to her what the child was doing but she showed no interest in scolding her for it.

I don't want to communicate with a child on my flight. I'd rather sleep and not be woken up by kicks.

Anyhoo... Moral of the story is kids can be unruly and the onus is on the parents to at least try to keep them in line and not be disruptive or disrespectful to fellow passengers.

The celtic tiger introduced some classy people to flying.

Oh wow that's not a bit patronising.
    I DON'T recline my seat EVER but I'm not being told I can't or that "it really annoys me". I've paid for my seat like everyone else so if the mood takes me I will recline my seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,934 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Not my problem.
    Don't think so!!

Your first three words sum up a lot.. About the sort of people in general I try to avoid, not just when flying, in life period. There is flying etiquette which even with an explanation would be lost on you.

Strumms wrote: »
    Your first three words sum up a lot.. About the sort of people in general I try to avoid, not just when flying, in life period. There is flying etiquette which even with an explanation would be lost on you.

Flying etiquette! :pac::pac:

Sorry, I'll simplify.... Good manners ! Stay classy :pac::pac:

Yes...flying etiquette

Like not reclining your seat when people are trying to eat.

Like stepping into the side before sticking your bag up.

Like sharing the armrest.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,906 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

When a young Irish couple sit next to you, when you have the window seat on a long flight, then as soon as possible they each start consuming multiple cans of Budweiser then both pass out locking you in.

• Advertisement

Strumms wrote: »
    Sorry, I'll simplify.... Good manners ! Stay classy :pac::pac:

No need to simplify, my dear. I understand completely.

I am one of the most good mannered people you'll meet, and while you are perfectly entitled to say it would annoy you to have the passenger in front recline their seat, it is a possibility that it may happen.

If the person in front me put their seat back, I probably wouldn't like it, but I'm certainly not going to tell them they're in the wrong for doing so.

Stay pompous! :pac::pac:

I've paid for my seat like everyone else so if the mood takes me I will recline my seat.

My celtic tiger flyer point proven. Thanks ;)

Yes...flying etiquette

Why do you bother flying if all these things annoy you so much?

My celtic tiger flyer point proven. Thanks ;)

How has your "Celtic Tiger" point been proven? :confused:

Yes...flying etiquette

Yep...

Storing smaller items under your seat leaving that bit more room in the overhead for someone else..

Waiting till the drinks trolley passes before deciding you want to use the bathroom so not to have the carts back up all the way again...

Approaching security without having more jewellery then Mr T still draping off you, pockets full of change and such.

Many more examples that pertain to the flying experience which can be exhausting and exacerbating at the best of times so a little concern and thought to other goes....

Ohh sorry right.... Not my problem :rolleyes:

4 and 5 seem a bit too much effort at the moment, maybe next year.
    I don't want to communicate with a child on my flight

Keep saving for the private jet then!

Why do you bother flying if all these things annoy you so much?

Because they're only minor annoyances.

Because I like going to nice places.

How has your "Celtic Tiger" point been proven? :confused:

By you saying;
    I've paid for my seat like everyone else so if the mood takes me I will recline my seat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I don't like when people are practically leaning across you to look out the window then you're in the window seat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,172 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Plane lands, taxis, gets to disembark point.

Then there's ALWAYS the stupid cuntflap in front of me who gets up, takes a jumper out of the overhead locker and puts it on, then gets a coat out of the overhead locker and puts on it on, can't find the slieves, takes it off, sorts out the slieves puts it back on, takes a scarf out of the overhead locker, holds it up in front of him looking confused as if it matters which ****ing end is which, puts it on, opens his hand luggage, takes out a baseball cap, puts it on, when FOR CHRIST'S ****ING SAKE it's 25 degrees out there and we're not even going outside, it's a ****ing tunnel to the airport can you not just get ****ing dressed once you're in there??!!

And of course, when you're lined up in passport control waiting to go through and there's the same stupid fecker --- with the jumper and coat and scarf draped over his ****ing arm!!!!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Advertisement