Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France 2015 thread **Please use spoiler tags before midnight**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

happytramp wrote: »
    Not sure what he did last year is something you 'get away with' i'd say its more a case of something that you either can or you can't do.

He gained what, max two mins or so if even on that stage? He'd lose time in the tt no matter the distance of it to both froome and contador and won't be able to keep up with the attacks if they attack and keep it lit as his more steady approach won't enable him to claw time back. The team that Bertie will have will be tops. The challenge that he faced at the giro was not near what the tour will be and he practically did it all by himself. Expect TS to be all over everything in the tour. I see no reason why he can't or won't be in it to win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Arequipa

Alberto Contador
    I saw an interview of Froome at the Dauphine.. He was talking about Nibali & whether he held back a bit at the Dauphine last year, so as to peak in the Tour...

It is hard to know what the best prep for the Tour is:

1) per Contador; ride & win the Giro, rest up & straight into the Tour

2) per Froome, Nibali .. Steady build up including the Dauphine.. So as peak for the Tour..

3) per Quintana.. More low key...

Either way, i think they have all done big stints', training at altitude..Team Sky were on Tenerife for 3 weeks...

I wonder who will peak in time for the Tour...

From watching, reading interviews ...Nibali seems like a savy, cool customer...

Still:

-Froome will win
    -Nibali will win if Frroome fcuks up/crashes & Contador is tired..

As a fan of Berti, i hope he wins!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Russman

Would love Bertie to do the double, he's great to watch but really can't see anyone troubling a well prepared Froome, unfortunately.
    Nibali might well end up finishing on the podium but without ever having a real chance to win.
    Of course, crashes might change the whole thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    The team that Bertie will have will be tops. The challenge that he faced at the giro was not near what the tour will be and he practically did it all by himself. Expect TS to be all over everything in the tour. I see no reason why he can't or won't be in it to win it.

Well that is going to be some turn around

Basso, Rogers & Kreuz all looked knackered at the Giro ....but they will be tops at the Tour ??? Kiserloski will be tops ?? Or maybe Majka ? He has looked lack luster so far this year..We will have to wait & see but TCS being tops ? I can't see that my self

However Fuglsang is lighter than he has ever been and is flying according to reports
    Taarame is reported to have ridden 480 watts on climbs for 12 minutes and put the rest of his team to the sword

If I were a betting person and had to bet on which team will be tops ....well my money would be on Astana

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

I'm 100% percent certain Quintana will win. Anyone who thinks otherwise clearly has no idea of cycling.

(I'm going big here so I can smugly quote this statement after the fact. If he doesn't win I'll just never revisit this thread and forget it exists)

• Advertisement

I'm 100% percent certain Quintana will win. Anyone who thinks otherwise clearly has no idea of cycling.

(I'm going big here so I can smugly quote this statement after the fact. If he doesn't win I'll just never revisit this thread and forget it exists)

Well I am sorry to burst your bubble of supreme confidence in Quintana...maybe he will win but maybe he won't

However according ot rumours (via Velocast) his team are not 100% behind him and are backing Valverde or at least have encouraged Valverde's leadership ambitions at the Tour

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

MPFG wrote: »
    Well I am sorry to burst your bubble of supreme confidence in Quintana...maybe he will win but maybe he won't

However according ot rumours (via Velocast) his team are not 100% behind him and are backing Valverde or at least have encouraged Valverde's leadership ambitions at the Tour
    They know nothing about cycling either.

(Doubing down!!!)

They know nothing about cycling either.

(Doubing down!!!)

Well that I agree with :D

No it is curious that Quintana is not at Dauphine or Suisse and this year he has not looked as indomitable as in 2013/14

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Nairo Quintana

I seriously hope not. Valverde hasn't a hope.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Far from resting up until the TDF, both Contador and Quintana are riding the Tour de Sud next week.

Sagan and Majka are doing the Tour de Suisse before the TDF, but few other main attractions seem to be taking part.

• Advertisement

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    Far from resting up until the TDF, both Contador and Quintana are riding the Tour de Sud next week.

Sagan and Majka are doing the Tour de Suisse before the TDF, but few other main attractions seem to be taking part.

Presumably the tour de Switzerland will be Rui Costa's baby again for the millionth time in a row!

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Presumably the tour de Switzerland will be Rui Costa's baby again for the millionth time in a row!

Costa is at the Dauphine ...I suppose winning a race 3 times gets boring

Tour of Suisse field is pretty weak with best = Pinot, Henao, G Thomas , Pozzovivo , Majka , JVdB, Frank Spilak & Fuglsang

Not a bad race to get a result .....I presume Nico Roche is glued to Froomes side ..as could have got a result at Suisse

Alberto Contador
    Some good points..

The strength. & commitment of teams to their GC Contender/Leader, will be a big factor,,..

Astana looked dodgy in the Giro; Landa & Aru seemed to compete for top status...

Contador invariably is left alone on the big mountains as noone in Tinkoff Saxo can keep with him...

Quintana is vying with Valverde as top dog..

On that basis Froome on paper has the strongest/most loyal team, on paper anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

I think Astana will have the strongest team. With Movistar and Sky next best. Agree that TCS are a bit further back. But who knows in cycling? If Sagan can win in California, them maybe they have found their secret ingredient.

Strongest leader? Who knows. I can't wait to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭JohnBee

I've just snapped this and entered in my calendar for day 21 :))

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

pelevin wrote: »
    I meant to add that - by the sounds of it Tinkoff team will be all about Contador with Sagan's Points jersey a very minor consideration if at all. Words are cheap though & with circumstances that could easily change.
    Katusha even with J Rodriguez should be very focused on Kristoff.

Sagan will get Bennatti helping him and I'd imagine no one else, and that will probably be enough. Rogers can help too if needed, and probably one other road dom. I'd imagine the rest will be mountain guys for Contador e.g Basso, Kiserlovski, Majka

Nowhere near as strong as Movistar, Astana or Sky's team, but then I'd say Contador isn't as reliant on a strong team as Froome or Nibali will be.

Let's just hope it doesn't go the same way as last season. We were all set for a Contador v Froome showdown, and then crashes intervened.

This year sees four big guns all seemingly going into the race with a great chance.

A few points come to mind.

- There are not as many cobbles, nor is the weather likely to be as good. I think best case scenario is that Nibali gains 1'30" over his rivals, with less than a minute more likely.
    - The team time trial is quite hilly, and the opening stage is the only short time trial. As such, Quintana is at quite an advantage compared to a typical GT route. In fact, I think the Movistar team has a good mix of climbers and time trialists to make sure that their two leaders lose less than a minute to the big 3 over these two days against the clock.
    - There is a clatter of short hilly finishes. Huy, Mende and Mur obviously. But also Le Havre (850m at 7%), Rodez (570m at 9.6%). These will suit Valverde, especially with time bonuses on offer. I could also see him do well in big groups on Cautarets and Pra Loup. I don't think it is a given that he will ride selflessly for Quintana.
    - Given the course, other punchy climbers will fancy their chances. I don't think Dan Martin is in good enough form, but if there is a year for him, this is it.

Yes ....I was thinking that maybe the yellow jersey at the first rest day will be worn by a rider who is not the top 4

Kwait, Valverde, Purito, Dan Martin, Allaphillipe or Gilbert

Also I cannot see a big group come in at the end of Pra Loup because of the climb and narrow descent before

According to Velocast gossip Quintana is not liked in the Movistar team ??? He always seems such a pleasant unemotional little guy ???

Agreed on the climb to Pra Loup. I meant a favourites group, so 10-12 top guys for that stage and Cautarets. I could see Valverde win a stage if it finishes with a group of that size.

I heard that about Quintana too. Anecdote alert. I was in the same hotel as Movistar and Lampre in Belfast for the Giro. All of the team left together around the same, with lots of banter. Quintana was on his own, and kept the bus waiting 5 minutes. Based on this, I am fully confident that there will be a mutiny in Movistar, with riders switching to Valverde.

One thing is for sure though; nobody is getting Gadret's wheel.

D9Male wrote: »
    One thing is for sure though; nobody is getting Gadret's wheel.

ha ha ..oh the baldy b*****ks !!! ....You never really see him nowadays ..do you

I know last year Quintana was not happy not let ride the Tour ...so that may have caused problems...and I suppose lots of Movistar riders have ridden with Valverde for a long time so maybe side with him

• Advertisement

In fairness, Valverde has been bringing home the bacon for his team for years. Having a leader like him would set up the retirement fund nicely.

I heard that Gadret is on course to ride Le Tour for Quinverde this year. He is doing the Dauphiné as a prep.

Yes ....I was thinking that maybe the yellow jersey at the first rest day will be worn by a rider who is not the top 4

Kwait, Valverde, Purito, Dan Martin, Allaphillipe or Gilbert

Also I cannot see a big group come in at the end of Pra Loup because of the climb and narrow descent before

According to Velocast gossip Quintana is not liked in the Movistar team ??? He always seems such a pleasant unemotional little guy ???

Yeah agree on Week 1 MJ, but I think Dan Martin will lose too much in the ITT on Day 1 to have a chance of yellow. But Kwiatko, Allaphilippe and Gilbert should have a good first week, and also make up time in the ITT given they are on strong teams.

Spanish riders in support for doper who showed no remorse shocker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭happytramp

This makes me like him more since I really can't stand Valverde and Movistar in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭devonp

Alberto Contador
    happytramp wrote: »
    This makes me like him more since I really can't stand Valverde and Movistar in general.

or the Conquistadors not wanting to help the conquered ?
    politics and history blah blah...

Alberto Contador
    Criterium du Dauphine Spoiler -
    Oh my God! Chris Froome was so strong today... If he keeps that form in the tour, it'll be very hard for anyone else to stay with him..

Nibali is one to watch... He is very shrewd & I would say will get mych stronger come July...!

Contador is probably at home watching the Dauphine thinking.. 'Oh sh1t!'

Tejay van Garderan would be an outside bet along with Rui Costa & Valverde....

A

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Alberto Contador
    Careful of spoilers folks, try not to give away anything that happened in televised races on the day you are posting :)

Arequipa wrote: »
    Tejay van Garderan would be an outside bet along with Rui Costa & Valverde

The day that Valverde wins a GT ahead of those men is after they have all been injured and forced to withdraw or kicked out of the race. Likewise for the other two. TJ doesn't have it for the three weeks to really challenge for the top stops based on recent years. Costa is a one week race man, a stage winner and maybe top 10 - 15 placer for a GT.

Alberto Contador
    I was watching the Dauphine on ITV 4 today, bit some of you will probably watch the highlights tonight..

Then we can talk about the signs for Froome, Ninali et al!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Nairo Quintana
    Arequipa wrote: »
    Criterium du Dauphine Spoiler -

Contador is probably at home watching the Dauphine thinking.. 'Oh sh1t!'
    I'd say Contador wasn't too worried by what he saw today. An attack 2.5km that took less than 20 seconds out of Teejay etc. is not going to worry him if he has the legs.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement