Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Health Issues: LadyGardening for Dummies

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

oh, thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭prettyrestless

Do you have it?
    I had it for over a year but got it removed as I felt it wasn't suiting.

How do you find it?
    Well most importantly, no babies! I found the insertion and removal to be ok, not that painful and quite quick. I had occasional periods - once every 4/5 months. No spotting in between.

Many side effects?
    Hair loss was one of my main ones. Luckily I had a really thick head of hair so it wasn't too noticeable but in a year I lost about a quarter of my hair. It's all grown back since I got it taken out. I can't really comment on moods etc because I have depression anyway but I don't think it made it worse (although I am on antidepressants). I didn't get acne or have headaches, which I've heard are common enough side effects.

Did you gain weight?
    Yes about a stone and a half in the year I had it. However I can't say this was the implanon. It could have been the other meds I was on or my extreme dislike of exercise.

Do you have it?
    I had it for over a year but got it removed as I felt it wasn't suiting.

How do you find it?
    Well most importantly, no babies! I found the insertion and removal to be ok, not that painful and quite quick. I had occasional periods - once every 4/5 months. No spotting in between.

Many side effects?
    Hair loss was one of my main ones. Luckily I had a really thick head of hair so it wasn't too noticeable but in a year I lost about a quarter of my hair. It's all grown back since I got it taken out. I can't really comment on moods etc because I have depression anyway but I don't think it made it worse (although I am on antidepressants). I didn't get acne or have headaches, which I've heard are common enough side effects.

Did you gain weight?
    Yes about a stone and a half in the year I had it. However I can't say this was the implanon. It could have been the other meds I was on or my extreme dislike of exercise.

Thanks for your honest reply.

My hair is so thin as is so wouldn't like that myself. The pill has been working fine for me for years, I just felt I wanted something a bit more permanent as I'm too young for sterilisation just yet. I like the fact that implanon still works even if you vomit/have diahorrea.

My initial choice was the Mirena coil as I didn't like the idea of an implant in my arm. But discussions today with my doc about having to check the coil threads etc got me worried - I just felt like it sounded less safe than the pill.

Actually - one thing I forgot to ask doc was in relation to my exercise regime. I actually exercise a lot and I am worried that lifting weights might upset the bar. Some of you will probably laugh when I say this now, but I'm not talking very heavy weights, just 10kg kettlebells, but I work out 6 days a week using them.

To be honest, I've just lost 2 stone and it took 2years of really hard work. I don't want to put it back on! Of course I don't want to get pregnant either though. But the hair loss, depression, acne etc... I already have enough stress/pressure in work without adding to it with this.

I guess really the only way to know is to get it in - the beauty of it is that I can get it back out if it's not for me.

Just wanted to see what experience Irish ladies in recent years have had with it.

Oh, and my doctor inserts a lot of these each year. So she knows what she is doing, so that is good as I have read that most problems result in poor insertion.

Hi

has anyone got any experience of Implanon NXT?

I'm provisionally booked in for it with my GP in a few weeks and thought I'd see what others' opinions are.

I posted a thread about it in LL but was redirected to this thread

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Hi

has anyone got any experience of Implanon NXT?

I'm provisionally booked in for it with my GP in a few weeks and thought I'd see what others' opinions are.

I posted a thread about it in LL but was redirected to this thread

Thanks

If you click on the search this thread function in the top right hand corner of this thread and type in implanon and hit enter, there are seven pages of replies about it, so about 105 posts

I considered both recently after almost 15 years on deprovera (the injection)

My doctor does both, but prefers mirena, she has checkups three months after it's in to check it's stable, and does ultrasounds both when it's inserted and checked.

I didn't like the idea of a bar in my arm as I'm quite slim and had this thing that I would feel it.

Am very happy with the mirena tbh, after the initial few days pay after it was inserted.

It's very similar to my experience on depo, no weight gain, if anything a slight drop, no periods, I have had a slight increase in facial hair but nothing that tweezing three or four a week doesn't deal with, and no pmt like symptoms at the end of 12 weeks when I was due another injection

Removal of the mirena is probably easier than implanon, and the cost is similar

Stheno wrote: »
    If you click on the search this thread function in the top right hand corner of this thread and type in implanon and hit enter, there are seven pages of replies about it, so about 105 posts

I considered both recently after almost 15 years on deprovera (the injection)

My doctor does both, but prefers mirena, she has checkups three months after it's in to check it's stable, and does ultrasounds both when it's inserted and checked.

I didn't like the idea of a bar in my arm as I'm quite slim and had this thing that I would feel it.

Am very happy with the mirena tbh, after the initial few days pay after it was inserted.

It's very similar to my experience on depo, no weight gain, if anything a slight drop, no periods, I have had a slight increase in facial hair but nothing that tweezing three or four a week doesn't deal with, and no pmt like symptoms at the end of 12 weeks when I was due another injection

Removal of the mirena is probably easier than implanon, and the cost is similar

Thanks

I did the search function alright, but the earliest post that deals with side effects is 3years ago - I was looking for more recent stories, but I don't know if that's a stupid thing to say or not.

I'm currently on mercilon and have no side effects, so hoping it will be same on implanon. One way to find out I guess.

Doc turned me off Mirena when she said that I would have to check it after periods and that with heavy periods you can sometimes lose it and not even know !!!! How does that even happen that you wouldn't know!!???!! I scared me right off it anyway.

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Thanks

I did the search function alright, but the earliest post that deals with side effects is 3years ago - I was looking for more recent stories, but I don't know if that's a stupid thing to say or not.

I'm currently on mercilon and have no side effects, so hoping it will be same on implanon. One way to find out I guess.

Doc turned me off Mirena when she said that I would have to check it after periods and that with heavy periods you can sometimes lose it and not even know !!!! How does that even happen that you wouldn't know!!???!! I scared me right off it anyway.

TO be honest the implanon feedback here is fairly normal, so the age of it wouldn't bother me, it's the same regardless of age.

No idea on losing the mirena, I've never had a period on it, perhaps get a second opinion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

MOD: Hi Bananaleaf, I've merged your thread with the LadyGardening thread which is dedicated to the subject! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 muffinman11

I have just had a baby and the doctor has now put me on microlite pill. I was on yasmin for years before this but he said that it can cause blood clots and to try microlite instead so I said I would. I have now been taking it for nearly 3 weeks and today and yesterday I am bleeding. Even though I'm not on my 7 day break. Is this because my body is getting used to the new pill or is this a known problem with microlite. Is anyone else on this pill and how is it for you? Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement

MOD: Hi Muffinman, I've just merged your thread with the LadyGardening thread. Also, remember that medical advice is not allowed on Boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭inocybe

I have just had a baby and the doctor has now put me on microlite pill. I was on yasmin for years before this but he said that it can cause blood clots and to try microlite instead so I said I would. I have now been taking it for nearly 3 weeks and today and yesterday I am bleeding. Even though I'm not on my 7 day break. Is this because my body is getting used to the new pill or is this a known problem with microlite. Is anyone else on this pill and how is it for you? Thanks in advance.

I took that for a year, the breakthrough bleeding happens because it's such a low dose pill. For me it stopped after a few months, but if I was a few hours late taking a pill it would start up again. It might help if you take it at exactly the same time each day.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,131 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I stopped periods on the Mirena too, though when it did 'run out' after about five and a half years I did lose it in one of my floods (fibroid-related).

These were not just heavy periods. As the smarmy locum doc said to me when I went to the surgery to find out after what amount of continuous bleeding I should go to A&E, 'Oh most women overrate their heavy periods - are you losing bucketfuls of blood?'. 'Yes' I said 'If you mean a child's beach bucket'. That shut her up. Anyway, the Mirena went in one of them as when I went to get it removed and replaced, it was gone, probably in one of the very large clots (sorry for tmi). I wasn't using it for birth control, so it didn't bother me really.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭CliCliW

Hi ladies!

I've had the Implanon Bar for 3 years in October, and that means removal time is coming close!

I've yet to book the appointment but I'm quite nervous to. Does it hurt? As far as I'm aware it's a small incision and they reach in and pull it out, I'm terrified that cut will hurt, regardless of however brief it is! That said I'm going to have to get it removed either way, I'd just like to be prepared for it.

I'd also like to get some advice, what do I do after the bar is removed? Is there a "cool down period"?

I'm not sure should I get another one in. While it was great to not have to worry about periods and have a failsafe in case condoms broke or whatever, I feel like it totally sapped my energy and I put on a lot of weight over the 3 years (I also went to college in that time so the lifestyle changes there probably contributed, however I could eat what I wanted before and never put on weight at all. I do feel like the bar shares a large proportion of the blame). I do think I need another contraceptive though, I'm 22 and terrified of the idea of pregnancy, so much so that I feel like not having a second contraceptive other than condoms will put massive amounts of strain on our relationship.

I don't know what to do about it all, and it's making me very very nervous. Any advice/experiences/suggestions appreciated, thank you!

MOD: Hi CliCliW, I merged your thread with the LadyGardening Thread which is dedicated to these sort of questions. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

CliCliW wrote: »
    Hi ladies!

I've had the Implanon Bar for 3 years in October, and that means removal time is coming close!

I've yet to book the appointment but I'm quite nervous to. Does it hurt? As far as I'm aware it's a small incision and they reach in and pull it out, I'm terrified that cut will hurt, regardless of however brief it is! That said I'm going to have to get it removed either way, I'd just like to be prepared for it.

I'd also like to get some advice, what do I do after the bar is removed? Is there a "cool down period"?

I'm not sure should I get another one in. While it was great to not have to worry about periods and have a failsafe in case condoms broke or whatever, I feel like it totally sapped my energy and I put on a lot of weight over the 3 years (I also went to college in that time so the lifestyle changes there probably contributed, however I could eat what I wanted before and never put on weight at all. I do feel like the bar shares a large proportion of the blame). I do think I need another contraceptive though, I'm 22 and terrified of the idea of pregnancy, so much so that I feel like not having a second contraceptive other than condoms will put massive amounts of strain on our relationship.

I don't know what to do about it all, and it's making me very very nervous. Any advice/experiences/suggestions appreciated, thank you!

I'm 23 and like you I don't want babies just yet but I was tired of hormonal contraception. I got the copper coil inserted last week and already I don't think I'll be looking back. It's 99% effective afaik but hormone-free so I'm back to my old self again.

It was expensive, €230 plus consultation fee, and getting it inserted isn't very pleasant or dignified but I feel it's a great option for women our age who don't want to use hormones.

Btw I got mine in the Well Woman Clinic in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭CliCliW

Thanks for your input Ilyana! I'm going to talk to my GP and consider the coil. It's a little nerve inducing lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Banaba

Hi ladies. I am going for a colposcopy on Wednesday afternoon and just looking for feedback from others that have had one. Depending on what they do obviously, but are you able to continue your daily tasks eg working etc after it or do you tend to be sore and bleeding etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

A bit sore and crampy. I expected bleeding but didn't have any.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Banaba

Were you able to go back to work after?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

I had booked it off but to be honest no I wouldn't have been able as I was so tender I didn't even want to walk far.

Though to be fair, before I completely frighten you :) I also had a biopsy which involved scraping of cells and also the doctor said I found it much more painful than many people, that I had an extra sensitive cervix (haha v tmi)

Tigger99 wrote: »
    I had booked it off but to be honest no I wouldn't have been able as I was so tender I didn't even want to walk far.

Though to be fair, before I completely frighten you :) I also had a biopsy which involved scraping of cells and also the doctor said I found it much more painful than many people, that I had an extra sensitive cervix (haha v tmi)

Good post and thank you for posting it.

I'd a mirena put in and needed four days off work due to it as I 've the same sensitivity issues.

@ the person who asked the question, some will walk away and others will be curled up in a ball of pain.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Ladies, I've totally lost my sex drive and I reckon it's the pill I'm on (microlite). There was an interesting discussion a few pages back about sex drives returning upon coming off the pill, but has anyone gotten theirs back by just changing pills? I'm not sure what to do. I'm very much in the "no children" camp so I like the control of the pill, and I feel there's no point in getting my sex drive back if we lose the spontaneity we enjoy while I'm on the pill! I just want to be able to feel aroused again :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

Been there myself, had no sex drive whatsoever on microlite and had annoying side effects when I changed pills. I also went from having a "sore boob week" on week 3 of taking microlite to "ridiculously sore boob month" the whole time on Yasminelle, which was no help with sex drive! I refused to try another pill as a result and went off entirely for a while with my doc#s approval (doc's other suggestion was a progesterone-only pill, and he did agree with me when I said sure I might as well go off it in that case, as it was still taking hormones but less effective at preventing pregnancy. Personally it wouldnt have been a disaster if Id gotten pregnant at the time, but not ideal, so we were really careful with condoms all the way).

I have to say I didnt notice a massive change in sex drive in the few months I went off the pill, BUT I still didnt really want to be pregnant so was probably less spontaneous, and maybe more aware of my cycle cos it took a while to get normal periods again and I found ovulation time really painful. After talking to a medic friend about different options, Mirena coil seemed like my best option and it has been great. If you;re firmly no children then it's brilliant to have something long term that you can forget about. It was daunting at the start but well worth it in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

I was about to suggest the mirena coil too, seems the ideal option if you don't want kids, and minimal side effects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Jaydess coil is also an option, insertion is easier for women who haven't had kids AFAIK.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Thanks ladies. I had a bad experience with side effects on Cerazette a few years ago, so I'm a bit afraid of another progesterone-only option. I'll discuss it with a doctor though.

Anyone have any experiences with the nuvaring?

/edit: Just spoke to a medical colleague about Mirena and apparently it's a localised release of hormones, so side effects are minimal compared to oral contraceptives. She did say that her experience of having it inserted was horrific though :/

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭GirlatdRockShow

Hi does anyone know how much the implanon costs in pharmacies and does it cost less if you have the drug payment scheme?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

Faith wrote: »
    Thanks ladies. I had a bad experience with side effects on Cerazette a few years ago, so I'm a bit afraid of another progesterone-only option. I'll discuss it with a doctor though.

/edit: Just spoke to a medical colleague about Mirena and apparently it's a localised release of hormones, so side effects are minimal compared to oral contraceptives. She did say that her experience of having it inserted was horrific though :/
    Yeah that swung it for me when I was told it was localised release.

Everyone's gonna have a different experience of insertion. Defo go somewhere like a well woman clinic that does it all the time if you opt for that. Mine wasn't v pleasant either, but it was worth it in the end as I've had no issues with it - very uncomfortable at the time and I was glad to have someone to bring me home after. Pain was only like bad cramps for that day and the next. I probably should have taken a painkiller in advance, but timing and not having lunch beforehand meant doc wasnt happy about me taking one on an empty stomach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Faith wrote: »

I had the Mirena inserted last year. I was knocked out for the actually insertion as I was having another procedure done as well. Afterwards though I had some cramping that night and some bleeding for a couple of days but nothing too bad. I was worried about the loss of sex dive but thankfully :D there hasn't been any. I had a couple of very light periods and some spotting in the first few months but having had anything in the last 6 months.

Advertisement