Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Thread V2.0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

update on that ocz ssd if anyone cares... hotswapping it did not work, it powers on but windows doesn't detect it. Drivers etc does nothing.

In the bin I reckon, gonna pick up a samsung.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Headshot wrote: »
    Nice one

Just got the free trial there and running team speak server.

Was piss easy to setup

I used a free year trial with Amazon to run a linux session for me to basically have a 24/7 irc connection.

Just be careful to set a timer for the renewal and be sure to read what you signed up for, and useage terms.

I got stung a few times with some charges, for what I still don't know, as a irc bouncer is like minimal ****. But a VOIP service might rack up some usage.

Headshot wrote: »
    On another note

Anyone know how will the clean install of windows 10 work?

When Windows 10 launches (and if youve reserved your slot you will download it ahead of time and ready to go) you need to go through the upgrade process first and foremost.

Once done, and sitting on your Windows 10 desktop, you can then clean install(W10 will then be attached to your windows auth key I believe)

MS have confirmed a clean install will be possible after first doing the upgrade, but as of yet have not outlined how.

Some thoughts are since MS are utilising a totally revamped restore function in Windows 10, you might be able to simply use the restore function, that will setup a clean install.

The new restore function is actually a brilliant new advancement of Windows.

I'll be keeping tabs on the clean install method, so will share if I see it confirmed. Was going to just upgrade and leave at that, but will do a clean install to take benefit from UEFI which looks like a really good feature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65 ✭✭fedorafennec

Windows 8 is an absolute scumbag.

Had to migrate someones OS from a totally dead drive, connected both to my PC and Clonezilla'd them across. So I got a broken install on the new drive, which is okay.

But the Windows 8.1 totally nuked my grub on a totally different drive, and I can't figure out how to get it back to dual-booting Linux :(

And I can't get a booting 8.1 on the new drive either :pac:

I feel your pain with this crap Shadow

I think I used EasyBCD to fix something like this a few years ago. Though that was just with windows 7. It is probably a lot less straight forward now with uefi and secureboot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I think I used EasyBCD to fix something like this a few years ago. Though that was just with windows 7. It is probably a lot less straight forward now with uefi and secureboot.

EasyBCD made my problems worse :pac: Its all sorted anyways, I'm looking forward to moving past this dark period in my life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65 ✭✭fedorafennec

EasyBCD made my problems worse :pac: Its all sorted anyways, I'm looking forward to moving past this dark period in my life

Damn, thankfully I have not needed it for a good while. I forget how easy VMs can make things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Guys, do you think you will be able to get cheap keys for windows 10? How much ms planing on charging for it anyway?
    I would love to get new ssd and put a fresh install on it with new windows. My current os ssd is 60gb. It was a while since I built my beast :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Guys, do you think you will be able to get cheap keys for windows 10? How much ms planing on charging for it anyway?
    I would love to get new ssd and put a fresh install on it with new windows. My current os ssd is 60gb. It was a while since I built my beast :D

Why not get a cheap 7 or 8.1 key now for like €15 on reddit and just take the upgrade route?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Why not get a cheap 7 or 8.1 key now for like €15 on reddit and just take the upgrade route?

This actually should work, as AFAIK, the key is tied to your MS account once the OS is upgraded. You should be able to clean install 10 after upgrading each 7/8.1 OS once.

• Advertisement

Serephucus wrote: »
    This actually should work, as AFAIK, the key is tied to your MS account once the OS is upgraded. You should be able to clean install 10 after upgrading each 7/8.1 OS once.

It will definitly work, it's what I did :)

I have a legit key SOMEWHERE, but after a recent format and clean W7 install, couldn't for the life of me find my key so have been plugging away with the unauthorised thingy popping up every day.

I ran Windows upgrade up until the KB update for Windows 10, and just bought a key from reddit there the other week, and I'm all good to go.

Your product key you upgrade with will be tied as a Windows 10 product activation going forward.

Not sure about the clean in stall once thing. I've been able to clean install numerous times on Windows 7 with my legit key and never had problems.

There are a number of steps you go through via cmd line that unties your product activation key, you just make sure to do that, so that when you go through auth it doesn't think you are using the key a second time.

Well that what has worked for me, there has been no licensing changes to W10(as much as conspiracy theorists thought there would be) so there would be the normal expectation that a user would re-use the key legitimately through the keys lifetime when a PC requires a format etc.

Have to say the concrete information for W10 on this front has been a little slack, seems we still don't know how the clean install will work, and likely wont be revealed until after launch.

Yeah, that looks like a best amd cheapest way of handling the situation. Still got some time. I am not planing on putting 10 on launch. I will give it a few more.the to iron itself, then jump a ship.

Now other topic:

Room mate building his pc right now. He put everything together. It starts up, but does not put out anything to display. Monitor just goes in to stand by. As he says everything is working amd fans spinning. No noise signals coming off too. I reckon must be just an issue of gpu or cable etc. I can't check it myself as I am not home yet. Just though to hear your opinion lads, before I see it try it myself.

Well, he is dope hehe. It was something with displays as I was saying. His first ever build. I love that stressed out voice he had. You know the one we all had when building our first pc and piping the cherry? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I am the king at getting pissed off while building a pc :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Hmm...

Got a pop up on Catalyst prompting me to install a new version of CCC.

It crashed halfway through, saying something like "catalyst install package failure".

Now my drivers are all borked and I can't install new ones.

It's crashed my computer twice, once when trying to uninstall whatever broken bits of leftover driver shrapnel are left on my PC, and once trying to install the latest driver. It parrots the same error message every time.

I do hope it's not the card that's just ****ed.

It's given me a fair bit of grief since I got it last week.

Edit: "Failure to load detection driver".

There's a new one.

Managed to remove all the old bits of AMD software and tried to install 15.7 again, but now it's giving me that problem.

Anyone have any idears?

I was going to wipe the whole mess clean next week when W10 comes out.

If that doesn't fix it presumably it's something to do with the hardware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Gbear wrote: »
    Hmm...

Got a pop up on Catalyst prompting me to install a new version of CCC.

It crashed halfway through, saying something like "catalyst install package failure".

Now my drivers are all borked and I can't install new ones.

It's crashed my computer twice, once when trying to uninstall whatever broken bits of leftover driver shrapnel are left on my PC, and once trying to install the latest driver. It parrots the same error message every time.

I do hope it's not the card that's just ****ed.

It's given me a fair bit of grief since I got it last week.

Edit: "Failure to load detection driver".

There's a new one.

Managed to remove all the old bits of AMD software and tried to install 15.7 again, but now it's giving me that problem.

Anyone have any idears?

I was going to wipe the whole mess clean next week when W10 comes out.

If that doesn't fix it presumably it's something to do with the hardware.
    Could possibly try uninstalling via safe mode. Maybe do a system restore as one of your last resorts to try and fix it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,811 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Would anybody think there will be a price drop on the GTX 970 in the coming months? Would it be advisable to buy now or maybe wait. I was supposed to get an R9 280x off a friend but that's gone tits up unfortunately.

lertsnim wrote: »
    Would anybody think there will be a price drop on the GTX 970 in the coming months? Would it be advisable to buy now or maybe wait. I was supposed to get an R9 280x off a friend but that's gone tits up unfortunately.

Hmmm I hope so too, wouldn't mind an upgrade on my 750ti

lertsnim wrote: »

I think Nvidia are seeing how popular the 970 is, and that it hits a very nice sweet spot i nthe market.

While initially I would have thought it would drop in price ( due to the Titan x, 980, and 980ti) it actually appears they might leave it where it is, allowing retailers to do the odd clearance sale to clear excess stock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

I agree ^^.The 970 is very very popular and it sells so well that they have no need to drop its price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

What the hell is going on with Hardwareversand?

I know quite a few people who've ordered from them over the last few weeks and they've all been delayed or simply told it's not in stock and no idea when they'll get it.

One poor kid I've been helping has gone nearly two weeks since he even heard from them since he tried to cancel the order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Sonics2k wrote: »

I know quite a few people who've ordered from them over the last few weeks and they've all been delayed or simply told it's not in stock and no idea when they'll get it.

One poor kid I've been helping has gone nearly two weeks since he even heard from them since he tried to cancel the order.

ah how German, get the money above all else, screw customer relations or tact :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    ah how German, get the money above all else, screw customer relations or tact :D

Could be worse, you could be ordering from Greece...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

I have seen some people having a lot of issues recently and I have decided to get everything off Amazon for a budget build I am putting together even though it might work out more expensive. There has been a good few nice deals on Amazon recently thankfully so its not worked out too bad so far!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭MagTuired

tony1980 wrote: »
    I have seen some people having a lot of issues recently and I have decided to get everything off Amazon for a budget build I am putting together even though it might work out more expensive. There has been a good few nice deals on Amazon recently thankfully so its not worked out too bad so far!

Also glad I didn't go with Hardwareversand. The savings are not worth all that hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

MagTuired wrote: »
    Also glad I didn't go with Hardwareversand. The savings are not worth all that hassle.

I've saved a few hundred quid with them over the years, it's worth it for some! That being said, the current setup seems pretty annoying.

Windows 10 next week?

Wonder if its worth a sticky in advance to pigeon hole all the W10 stuff, can see an onslaught coming :D

I think I'm going to start using Komplett more regularly than HWVS.

I do wish they had a bigger selection of Video cards though..:o

HowAreWe wrote: »
    I think I'm going to start using Komplett more regularly than HWVS.

I do wish they had a bigger selection of Video cards though..:o

Few friends actually mentioned Komplett have gotten much better in terms of service and pricing. They still seem more expensive then amazon and overclockers whenever I check, and they lost their benefit to me when they closed their collection depot.

I used to buy stuff from them and collect same day, which was brilliant.

Happy days, Scan shipped my new cards...at bloody last

slow_clap_citizen_kane.gif

...and I forgot to order Displayport cables, only ones I have are mini Displayport to Displayport.:(

Does anyone here know a bricks & mortar in Dublin that carry them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭vlad2009

Any recommendations on a mouse below 50 euro? not for me, I've got an m65, but a friend of mine is finally ready to ditch his crappy lil microsoft mouse, so I'm trying to gather some options I can show him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭Doge

glynf wrote: »
    ...and I forgot to order Displayport cables, only ones I have are mini Displayport to Displayport.:(

Does anyone here know a bricks & mortar in Dublin that carry them?

RS have them.

Cheap:
    http://ie.rs-online.com/web/p/digital-video-monitor-cable-assemblies/7903855/

For some reason it shows a HDMI cable in the picture but its just a mistake.

Fancy:
    http://ie.rs-online.com/web/p/digital-video-monitor-cable-assemblies/7406688/

RS are located here:
    http://ie.rs-online.com/web/generalDisplay.html?id=services/local-branch

You can order it online and collect instore.

Excellent, thanks Doge. Never even thought about RS, they used to have free sweets on the counter as well...bonus :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭Doge

Maplin have them too but prepare your anus:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/search?text=displayport+cable&x=0&y=0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Doge wrote: »
    Maplin have them too but prepare your anus:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/search?text=displayport+cable&x=0&y=0

"Free Delivery"

They'd be some lads to charge a delivery on top of a £25 cable!

Buying anything in Maplins is ludicrous, or should that be buying anything in Maplins require lubricant..

Cheeky bastards wanted €30 for a DVI to HDMI last time I was there :eek:

I'll go with the RS ones, will have to be 3M as my monitors are a bit away from the PC.

IIRC Displayport 1.2 is backwards compatible, Would like cables with larger CSA than 30AWG, but happy I won't be looking at two GPU's unused for a weekend :)

My Asus ROG Swift just died!
    Started up my PC and the screen didn't even power on, about two hours later it comes on and won't start up again.

Apparently it's an issue with the PSU so I'll have to RMA it. Anyone dealt with Asus in Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

My Asus ROG Swift just died!
    Started up my PC and the screen didn't even power on, about two hours later it comes on and won't start up again.

Apparently it's an issue with the PSU so I'll have to RMA it. Anyone dealt with Asus in Ireland?

took them ****ing ages to respond when I rma'd my motherboard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

The PSU fried the screen? Or is the power brick built into that screen?

• Advertisement

Try and deal with the retailer as Asus rma is slow afaik.

Well I've just gotten a confirmation email from Asus saying they'll collect it and provide me with a replacement, but didn't give a date.

Good start so far.

Great stuff,hopefully all goes well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭taytobreath

I think hardwareeversand are fuked are they? i cant order from them cause of the adress, anyone any joy last day or 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭duffman85

I think hardwareeversand are fuked are they? i cant order from them cause of the adress, anyone any joy last day or 2

few people have had an address issue with them. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057460631

I just tried checking out without an account and was able to get to through to the payment page with the following:

Delivery address
    Mr.
    duffman85 duffman85
    duffman st 123

Co. Duff dufftown
    Ireland
    Tel.:

Invoice address
    Same as delivery address.

Edit: Ordered from them myself Wednesday the 15th and received my stuff on Tuesday 21st. Made sure everything was in stock when I ordered though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,811 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Seemingly I can only order if I sign out of my HWV account. It is very odd.

• Advertisement

have they blocked accounts registered from Ireland? or is that just a crazy idea..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

HowAreWe wrote: »
    have they blocked accounts registered from Ireland? or is that just a crazy idea..

I was half wondering if they have run into VAT threshold issues, its the reason that ebuyer stopped shipping here.

http://www.vatlive.com/eu-vat-rules/distance-selling-eu-vat-thresholds/

Hard to say though at the best of times the website is a bit flakey so it could easily just be gremlins in the machine either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭Rebel Rebel

So Upgraded to efiber yesterday, since having problems with connecting to the network using ethernet cables and homeplugs. It seems only 1 of my 3 plugs will connect at anyone time(limited testing so far).

My W7 pc is telling me the Network is "Unidentified Network"

Anyone else experience this, been fecking around all morning looking for a fix for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

So Upgraded to efiber yesterday, since having problems with connecting to the network using ethernet cables and homeplugs. It seems only 1 of my 3 plugs will connect at anyone time(limited testing so far).

My W7 pc is telling me the Network is "Unidentified Network"

Anyone else experience this, been fecking around all morning looking for a fix for it

What brand? Did you try pairing then again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭Rebel Rebel

TP Link 500Mbps, have 4, the lights indicate that they connect to a network but no data is been transferred.

Yep tried pairing them

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement