Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M20 - Cork to Limerick [preferred route chosen; in design - phase 3]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

zulutango wrote: »
    As outlined above, they clearly should be a factor in the decision making process, especially if we're back to square one.

The need for an improved N20 is there regardless of the existence of autonomous vehicles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

mrsoundie wrote: »
    I've liked and retweeted your tweet.

Every little helps
    Thank you :)

Got 3 retweets and 2 likes in total and a few hundred views.

None of the 4 politicians have replied though.

Tony Fitzgerald actually knows me on first name terms in real life and is a friend of the family being my F.I.L's boss.

I won't tell him it's me on twitter though.

I'll keep tweeting to politicians though.

I want to be able to drive to Limerick on the M20 with my kids before i hit the retirement home :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

I will be an old man by the time it gets built :D

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Limerick74

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Limerick74 wrote: »

Look where he's from. He obviously doesn't use the tunnel on a regular basis or indeed the South Ring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Look where he's from. He obviously doesn't use the tunnel on a regular basis or indeed the South Ring.

So it is better to funnel those cars through the quays... :D

Can i have some of what he is smoking please :D

I might as well be p1ssing against the wind, but anyway, i'll keep contacting TD's until i get some sort of humane answer and not political waffle. i have many years ahead of me :rolleyes:

https://twitter.com/CorkTruckDriver/status/860506640948310016

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

This. Councillor from Hospital wants motorway bypass for Hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,387 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Just his thoughts which amount to rambling sh1te...you can see why councils are such a waste of money when they start offering "opinions"- savings my arse- what about all the additional traffic tonne just lumped into the M8, extra wear and tear plus need for future widening. Not to mention Dunkettle.
    Wouldn't be surprised if there's a bit of meddling going on in the background with the Fermoy toll operators- would be a boon for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,387 ✭✭✭✭road_high

marno21 wrote: »
    This. Councillor from Hospital wants motorway bypass for Hospital.

Not exactly sure where Hospital is but isnt it on or near the Mitchelstown to Limerick R road? I guess his "vision" is a link or junction to his parish pump off a new M24?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

road_high wrote: »
    Not exactly sure where Hospital is but isnt it on or near the Mitchelstown to Limerick R road? I guess his "vision" is a link or junction to his parish pump off a new M24?

Here it is.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

mrsoundie wrote: »

Many of the "towns" the councillor lists as potentially being bypassed by a new N24 are actually pretty far away from the new road and are all small villages.

Edit: Just twigged that he is in fact proposing a Limerick-Mitchelstown road, not Limerick-Tipperary.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

spacetweek wrote: »
    Many of the "towns" the councillor lists as potentially being bypassed by a new N24 are actually pretty far away from the new road and are all small villages.

Edit: Just twigged that he is in fact proposing a Limerick-Mitchelstown road, not Limerick-Tipperary.

Yes, it's more of an M513 he's proposing than an M24

If they want the road routed through Tipperary then i'm amazed that Michael Lowry has kept quiet.

We all know the man has a history of unusual dealings with a certain billionaire whose name i cannot possibly divulge for legal reasons*

(He might take legal action, just like he did recently)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

KC161 wrote: »
    If they want the road routed through Tipperary then i'm amazed that Michael Lowry has kept quiet.

We all know the man has a history of unusual dealings with a certain billionaire whose name i cannot possibly divulge for legal reasons*

(He might take legal action, just like he did recently)

The n24 isn't going in his direction. The m8 already cuts through tipp.

The n24 isn't going in his direction. The m8 already cuts through tipp.

Where is he in comparison to the N24?/R513.

The M20 is the only way to get it done.

For anyone interested, here's a discussion from the Joint Oireachtas Committee on Finance, Public Expenditure when they were visited by the VP of the European Investment Bank, and Senator Kieran O'Donnell asked about the financing of the M20.

https://www.kildarestreet.com/committees/?id=2017-05-04a.2340&s=m20#g2367

Before the jokes start, This is another reason to build the bloody motorway.

On a light hearted note FOWL play is not suspected :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Leo has promised to build this if he becomes Taoiseach!

• Advertisement

Truckermal wrote: »

He refused to get funding for it when he was in the department of transport. More red herring stories from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭mart 23

Lets hope he is speaking truthfully and provides the money to bring the M20 to ABP as quickly as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

http://www.redfm.ie/news/cork/transport-minister-says-m20-cork-limerick-will-use-the-extra-money-being-made-available-for-capital-spending/
    Transport Minister says M20 Cork-Limerick will use the extra money being made available for capital spending
    News Home
    More from Corker interesting link!

€15m is needed between now and 2019/2020 to advance planning and get to the CPO stage.

There is €2.6bn being made available for extra spending as part of the review.

"It'll use up the entire allocation."

Perhaps it's in Minister Ross's interests to take up basic mathematics.

At this stage, everything Ross says annoys me. Sooner he's out the better.

The above excerpt is from today's Topical Issue Matters where Fianna Fail's Michael Moynihan (Cork North West), Kevin O'Keefe (Cork East) and Niall Collins (Limerick) brought it up together.

Full debate here: http://oireachtasdebates.oireachtas.ie/debates%20authoring/debateswebpack.nsf/takes/dail2017052300035?opendocument

Of particular interest..
    The problem is that in building it now and spending the funds, it would use up virtually the entire capital allocation for the area.

A full year into his brief as Minister for Transport and he doesn't realise the simple issue that the biggest road project in the country, a road which claimed SIX lives last year, does not have planning permission and requires a mere €15m to get to the CPO stage which would take 2/3 years. Lots of time here being wasted, as Kieran O'Donnell keeps saying. If the full money for the project was available today it still couldn't be built. It makes it clear that the Government have no interest in progressing the M20 and are happy to trot out this kind of ram?is when asked about it.

It's a pity that Ross is so key in holding this Government together. It would be much more beneficial for the country if we simply ****ed him out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭bear1

http://www.irishexaminer.com/business/cork-to-limerick-road-may-get-funds-for-upgrade-450857.html

Looks like Noonan is trying to get the EIB to provide funding. I hope this goes well.

For anyone interested in 15 minutes of punishment, here's the video of Ross's question in the Dail regarding the continued kicking the can down the road re the M20.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/video/home/251501/watch-shane-ross-casts-fresh-doubt-on-limerick-cork-m20-motorway-link.html

• Advertisement

bear1 wrote: »
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/business/cork-to-limerick-road-may-get-funds-for-upgrade-450857.html

Looks like Noonan is trying to get the EIB to provide funding. I hope this goes well.
    The EIB can't fund a project that is currently a concept yet to go beyond the feasibility stage and has no planning permission.

Same with Metro North. There is a Metro North project with full PP that the Government insists on leaving in the filing cabinet and redesigning from scratch.

I believe if the M20 were built, not only would it increase the chances of FDI in the area, but it would also greatly benefit the ability of Irish companies to grow in the area. So much time wasted with employees sitting on the current mess of a road, so much time with trucks spent stopped in traffic or trundling along the road. It's in everyone's interest to build this thing bar the Government. I would hope this is not forgotten by the people of the region at the next election.

Advertisement