Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M20 - Cork to Limerick [preferred route chosen; in design - phase 3]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Why would FG have anything against Cork of all places? It's a heartland for them. Simon Coveney has leadership ambitions for peters sake.

Coveney is there every other day pumping the parish pump on Facebook. As well as several other junior and a Senior minister- cork is extremely well represented imo in this govt and cabinet.
    The road infrastructure is below par (as it is almost everywhere). But in all other measures cork is doing very nicely indeed.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

road_high wrote: »
    Coveney is there every other day pumping the parish pump on Facebook. As well as several other junior and a Senior minister- cork is extremely well represented imo in this govt and cabinet.
    The road infrastructure is below par (as it is almost everywhere). But in all other measures cork is doing very nicely indeed.
    I would argue that Cork isn't really parish pump material. Most of what Cork has is deserved considering its size and population.

I would diagree that Cork is well represented, given the strain on various resources around the city, from transport to health.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

marno21 wrote: »
    I would argue that Cork isn't really parish pump material. Most of what Cork has is deserved considering its size and population.

I would diagree that Cork is well represented, given the strain on various resources around the city, from transport to health.

In fairness all parts of the country have issues in both those areas. I appreciate Cork needs major Road investment for sure, but to claim it's not well represented is really stretching things. I live in a 5 seater with neither a senior minister nor junior minister. Cork has several, Coveney and Creed are as parish pump as you'd see- I follow both on fb and every other day they're both in cork launching something or other! If that's not parish pump I'm not sure what is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

the problem ids they are in the City and Cork is a huge County.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

road_high wrote: »
    In fairness all parts of the country have issues in both those areas. I appreciate Cork needs major Road investment for sure, but to claim it's not well represented is really stretching things. I live in a 5 seater with neither a senior minister nor junior minister. Cork has several, Coveney and Creed are as parish pump as you'd see- I follow both on fb and every other day they're both in cork launching something or other! If that's not parish pump I'm not sure what is.

TBH, parish pump would be getting the road sorted, not turning up at opening events. Contrast with money routed to the N5, for example. Doesn't seem to be any delay there but arguably it is less strategically vital for the country as a whole than the M20 would be given that the M20 is part of a north south route along the west.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

I imagine TDs are Dublin-centric. They already have a motorway to their Mothership , why would they need one to Limerick?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

I've tweeted this thread to the following:

Michèal Martin TD Cork south central
    Dara Murphy TD Cork North Central
    Tony Fitzgerald (incoming Lord Mayor of Cork)

No replies as yet.

Serious dose of the tinfoil hat brigade lately in this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Serious dose of the tinfoil hat brigade lately in this thread

You can see why people are getting frustrated.
    It's not like people are asking for a motorway connecting letterkenny to Derry.
    It's an utter shambles and I struggle to think of another eu country where the second and third largest cities aren't connected with a motorway.
    The ineptitude of the government when it comes to this project or any project of great expenditure is an utter joke.
    These motorways should have been built ages ago, from the very North all the way to rosslare and back up to the border as they said they would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

The funny bit was when they had a celebration day for the refurbishment of the main street in Buttevant.

Part of the N20, thus main road, what do they decide to do, close it.

Absolute idiots in county hall.

The government is putting a price on lives by not building the road.

The reputed €1 billion price tag is justified in the long run.

Are there any other projects nationwide that come close to the M20 in terms of size and cost?

Probably wasting my time here, but anyway :rolleyes:

https://twitter.com/CorkTruckDriver/status/859133822855720962

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

KC161 wrote: »
    Probably wasting my time here, but anyway :rolleyes:

https://twitter.com/CorkTruckDriver/status/859133822855720962

I've liked and retweeted your tweet.

Every little helps

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

A lot of chitchat in the media and from politicians about the route. None of it helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

It is really senseless to route it via Cahir. They'd be turning a 100km journey into a 145km journey (although it would greatly improve the connectivity with Waterford).

If the motorway was routed via Mitchelstown it would be 117km, and would also provide benefits in terms of improving connectivity with Waterford.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

zulutango wrote: »
    It is really senseless to route it via Cahir. They'd be turning a 100km journey into a 145km journey (although it would greatly improve the connectivity with Waterford).

If the motorway was routed via Mitchelstown it would be 117km, and would also provide benefits in terms of improving connectivity with Waterford.

But would still leave Mallow, Buttevant and Charleville needing bypasses and Mallow to Cork needing to be upgraded to handle the current traffic flows. No route other than a direct Limerick to Cork route makes sense. And TII knows this.

But would still leave Mallow, Buttevant and Charleville needing bypasses and Mallow to Cork needing to be upgraded to handle the current traffic flows. No route other than a direct Limerick to Cork route makes sense. And TII knows this.

For me the greatest argument by far to build the motorway is to connect the two cities (and Waterford and Galway too) as it is the key piece of infrastructure required to enable the significant growth of these. The bypass argument is small when set against this. In any case, the volumes going through those towns would be a lot less if the Cork-Limerick traffic is removed. Can bypasses be justified on the basis of the residual traffic volumes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Improved connectivity to Waterford should be via Youghal and Dungarvan in the first instance. It's more important for Limerick and Waterford to have good connectivity to Cork than it is to each other.

The feasability study in 2008/9 said that approximately 2,500 cars would be removed from the N20 should the new road be built by Mitchelstown/Cahir.

That means that we still need bypasses of Charleville and Buttevant, and Mallow-Cork dualling. May as well just build the M20 so.

I can't understand how anyone would think Limerick-Waterford or Galway-Waterford connectivity should come before Cork-Limerick connectivity.

Cork-Limerick should be #1. The amount of traffic between Galway and Waterford is negligible in comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

If there was a motorway taking the Cork-Limerick traffic out of those towns, why would you need a bypass?

Current traffic volumes are only part of the reason why a motorway should be built. This kind of infrastructural project will have a huge bearing on the development of the cities at either end of it and also on those that are not on it. It's about future planning. It may make sense that Limerick and Waterford are developed into major population centres, ahead of Cork, for example. I'm not saying that's the case, but this kind of long term analysis should come into the decision making process.

Current traffic volumes are only part of the reason why a motorway should be built. This kind of infrastructural project will have a huge bearing on the development of the cities at either end of it and also on those that are not on it. It's about future planning. It may make sense that Limerick and Waterford are developed into major population centres, ahead of Cork, for example. I'm not saying that's the case, but this kind of long term analysis should come into the decision making process.
    Long term, Cork and Limerick need a direct motorway link, and in the future perhaps a direct rail link, and there are plenty of places along the way that need a direct link too (Dairygold, Lidl in Charleville etc).

Limerick and Waterford need linking too, but that should be via 2+2 on the N24.

The money is there, it's why they're completely unwilling to spend a whole €15m on the planning for the M20 is what I want to know. No problem in finding money for Kenny & Ring and Deenihan's pet projects.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

marno21 wrote: »
    The money is there, it's why they're completely unwilling to spend a whole €15m on the planning for the M20 is what I want to know. No problem in finding money for Kenny & Ring and Deenihan's pet projects.
    Yes, that question really does need to be asked.

When answering any of these questions one should always ask Cui Bono - i.e. who benefits from the funding not being allocated?

Tinfoil hats aside, you would have to wonder why a Minister For Finance would not be pushing for funding for this, if he thought it would benefit his home city, given, as you say, how many other less important projects have leapfrogged over it. However, if you imagine that his perspective was that this would not benefit Limerick, then you might understand why nothing has happened. Remember, this is a guy who, through his protege and fellow Limerickman John Moran (former Sec. Gen of Dept. of Finance), were putting forward the idea of Limerick as a counter-weight to Dublin, seeing as it is between Cork and Galway.

However, if one's perspective is that, in the event of an M20 being built, that projects/jobs would go to Cork (or maybe Galway) and Limerick would lose out, I think the inertia might be more easily understood.

serfboard wrote: »
    Yes, that question really does need to be asked.

When answering any of these questions one should always ask Cui Bono - i.e. who benefits from the funding not being allocated?

Tinfoil hats aside, you would have to wonder why a Minister For Finance would not be pushing for funding for this, if he thought it would benefit his home city, given, as you say, how many other less important projects have leapfrogged over it. However, if you imagine that his perspective was that this would not benefit Limerick, then you might understand why nothing has happened. Remember, this is a guy who, through his protege and fellow Limerickman John Moran (former Sec. Gen of Dept. of Finance), were putting forward the idea of Limerick as a counter-weight to Dublin, seeing as it is between Cork and Galway.

However, if one's perspective is that, in the event of an M20 being built, that projects/jobs would go to Cork (or maybe Galway) and Limerick would lose out, I think the inertia might be more easily understood.
    Thankfully said Minister for Finance is currently hurtling rather quickly towards the exit door from his position. Hopefully with someone else at the helm there might be some sort of movement with the scheme.

Anyone have any thoughts about the impact of autonomous vehicles on the decision to build roads such as the M20? The arguments around traffic volumes and congestion could become null and void in a scenario, say 10 years from now, where private car ownership collapses. In a decade or so we may getting from A to B by requesting a car through our phones, it picks us up and brings us to our destination, and then it then heads off away to pick somebody else up. There just would only be a need for a fraction of the amount of cars that we currently have.

It might seem fanciful, but it's not really given the technological advances in recent years and it should be analysed in the context of major road construction projects such as the M20, which wouldn't come on stream for another 10 years at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Anyone have any thoughts about the impact of autonomous vehicles on the decision to build roads such as the M20? The arguments around traffic volumes and congestion could become null and void in a scenario, say 10 years from now, where private car ownership collapses. In a decade or so we may getting from A to B by requesting a car through our phones, it picks us up and brings us to our destination, and then it then heads off away to pick somebody else up. There just would only be a need for a fraction of the amount of cars that we currently have.

It might seem fanciful, but it's not really given the technological advances in recent years and it should be analysed in the context of major road construction projects such as the M20, which wouldn't come on stream for another 10 years at least.

In 25 years maybe, not in 10.

grogi wrote: »
    In 25 years maybe, not in 10.

Why do you say 25? Autonomous vehicles are already driving around in many jurisdictions. And car sharing with autonomous vehicles is also being piloted. From what I've read this situation isn't that far away at all.

MOD: Autonomous vehicles have zero bearing on whether the M20 will be built or not, and as such are off topic for this thread. Can we return to discussing the M20

• Advertisement

As outlined above, they clearly should be a factor in the decision making process, especially if we're back to square one.

Advertisement