Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,885 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Hey, who's bad mouthing the fantastic 3DO :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Cleared (aka, credit-fed) Elevator Action Returns last night. I'm in love with the soundtrack!

The ending smells of bum though as the last level is a time limit, if you don't clear it in time you get a crap ending of, well, nothing. Yes, nothing.

Problem is the last part doesn't make it clear how to exit the building at all so I was left scouring blindly for the exit! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

o1s1n wrote: »
    Seem be having some issues with Mario Kart though. First time I booted the game up it didn't appear on the menu. Second time it ran fine. Third time I got some error and the 3DS reset itself. 4th time it ran fine, was first in a online game, about to win - lost connection.

I had similar issues trying to play DS games on my 3DS recently, well after the latest update anyways. It might be something to do with that!

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Monkeyto

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The last few nights I've been absolutely loving Wizardry Labyrinth of Lost Souls. It's on PSN for anyone with a PS3. It's a fantastic little western RPG dungeon crawler (with some anime characters). Very addictive.

There's a Wizardry MMO out in Japan that is actually quite fun. One of the selling points is that once your character gets killed, that's it no more revive. Certainly bumps up the challenge.

I wonder if Dark Souls had such a feature, how many would have completed it :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,827 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Monkeyto wrote: »
    There's a Wizardry MMO out in Japan that is actually quite fun. One of the selling points is that once your character gets killed, that's it no more revive. Certainly bumps up the challenge.

I wonder if Dark Souls had such a feature, how many would have completed it :P

Wizardry on PSN is pretty hardcore as well. Starting to get to areas of dungeons that are really tough. Get into battle in a no magic zone with a tough enemy and you're ****ed. Also if a party member dies there's a big chance that once you go back to the temple to revive them they'll be dead... permanently. My advice on this is save often!

The first dungeon has an area beside a door with a note saying 'some doors are not meant to be opened'. The correct way to proceed is to save then go through the door and immediately regret it. I forewent saving and my level 3 characters ended up fighting a level 12 enemy that took my whole party out in one move before I could react :) Went to the church and lost 3 characters permanently so had to reload a good bit back!

TBH it's not too hard to bring a new character up to a decent level. There's not much use for gold after about level 10 but you can trade gold for experience points which levels you up fairly quickly.

Anyway it reminds me a bit of Tartarus in Persona 3. If anyone liked the tension of going through Tartarus then this game is well worth entry fee and the DLC is reasonable for what it gives you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Yeah, Need for Speed on the 3D0 is a load of ****e :p

Lucky you, looks like you'll be getting a slap in the puss for Christmas!

Same as you got last year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,253 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

pdbhp wrote: »
    I had similar issues trying to play DS games on my 3DS recently, well after the latest update anyways. It might be something to do with that!

Ah, that a million for that, probably explains it as I've just updated to the new firmware myself. Was almost going to contact Gamestop telling them they sent me a dud game!
    CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Lucky you, looks like you'll be getting a slap in the puss for Christmas!

Same as you got last year!

In the eloquent words of Axel from Streets of Rage -

'BARE KNUCKLEEEEEE!!!!!'

I assume I'm still welcome in your house on Friday? :pac:

Playing the living shít out of Okamiden on DS, played about 9 or so hours over the weekend jaysus it seems like a long game, hopefully there won't be too much grind involved

Master of the Universe

Super Mario 3D Land is just...just...sublime :D

Reason alone for owning a 3DS. I am delighted with it.

Mario Kart 7 is a bit of fun in multiplayer as Mario Kart games are...but is nothing compared to 3D land.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevin2me

Just bought Mario 3d Land too, ill pick up MarioKart before Xmas...
    You gotta Love Nintendo, They just have some unreal Nostalgia
    its doesnt matter if its old or brand new game the release... They just nail it every time... Skyward Swords for Game of the Year... !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,563 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

It's burns that I have to wait till the 25th to play mario on 3ds. First Christmas morning that im looking to in an age.
    Expectations have been tempered with the news that the mother was asking if I liked 'Everybody Loves Raymond'. I pray to the gods of Christmas comedy boxsets that it will not happen to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Thinking of starting Chrono Trigger. Went through a few FF games and looking for some more retro SNES goodness. What do you guys think?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,827 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's better than any of the FF games and the best RPG on the system bar Earthbound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Thinking of starting Chrono Trigger. Went through a few FF games and looking for some more retro SNES goodness. What do you guys think?

Oh really, do it. I shan't egg you on too much, but frankly, all hyperbole aside, along with the Mother series, it validates video-gaming as a pursuit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Looks like I shall be spending tomorrow playing it so! Will be a nice diversion from Skyrim...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,885 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Having a blast of Espgaluda II HD and Bug Princess on the iPad 2.

For some reason I missed the fact that they had a HD version of Espgaluda II that only ran on the iPad 2.

Master of the Universe

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Looks like I shall be spending tomorrow playing it so! Will be a nice diversion from Skyrim...

Diversion from Skyrim, DIVERSION?! :eek:

I haven't played Skyrim yet, but I already know Chrono Trigger is better :D

It's a game with heart. Something most modern games are missing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I haven't played Skyrim yet, but I already know Chrono Trigger is better :D

cough*fanboy*cough

Master of the Universe

cough*fanboy*cough

As much as I hate that term as it reminds me of 13 year old fat kids shouting abuse at each other in PS3 versus 360 threads, I can't help but agree.

I'm the same with Link to the Past and Sonic 1. It's a completely irrational love which transcends any kind of reasonable debate.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,716 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

There's nothing wrong with being a fanboy of a certain game / movie / whatever on two conditions: 1) That you're completely aware of that fact and 2) are still able to critique from a removed perspective if it is warranted. Everyone has their weaknesses - Persona 3/4, Cave shmups and Neon Genesis Evangelion here! I know their respective flaws (except for Persona 4, which is perfect) but still appreciate them on an irrational level :)

There's nothing wrong with being a fanboy of a certain game / movie / whatever on two conditions: 1) That you're completely aware of that fact and 2) are still able to critique from a removed perspective if it is warranted. Everyone has their weaknesses - Persona 3/4, Cave shmups and Neon Genesis Evangelion here! I know their respective flaws (except for Persona 4, which is perfect) but still appreciate them on an irrational level :)

Hmm, interesting riposte there....

I still say you're a damn hipster, boy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Just got The Minish Cap on the 3DS there, as I'm one of the initial buyers that were ripped off Ambassadors. I might flow through that over the xmas buildup before the main event - Skyward Sword.

Good little title, played & finished it yonks ago when it first came out. Reminiscent of LttP

Would have been better to see LttP instead of Minish Cap, but there you go..

Master of the Universe

Would have been better to see LttP instead of Minish Cap, but there you go..

I have my fingers crossed it's because they're working on a LttP 3D Classics title.

Yes, it's probably never going to happen. Especially if they're having trouble converting NES games.

But one can always dream!

I think the alleged trouble with converting Nes games was so much bull, they maintained, at the time, that the initial games in the series would the only ones for a while, but then out pops Kirby! And Kirby is at least as complex as Super Mario World.
    So, hopefully we'll see SMB3 sometime this year!
    Maybe we'll see a Snes game or two in the next year.
    If they are producing Snes/GBA titles via the shop then it must be a cert.

I'm holding out for the N64 classic FzeroX though, but I can see it on cart.

• Advertisement

Playing a spot of Terra Diver on the Saturn, after the rather epic shooter session with Johnny last night had a taste for bullet hell.
    It a Raizing shooter, circa 96, and looks the business.
    I love my chipped Saturn!

Playing a spot of Terra Diver on the Saturn, after the rather epic shooter session with Johnny last night had a taste for bullet hell.

Some tear up as the torch is passed....

Master of the Universe

Terra Driver? TERRA DRIVER?! Don't used that bastardized Western name around here :P

It's called Soukyugurentai and is one of the greatest shmups ever made.

Part of loving it is learning to spell it :pac:

Played a serious amount of 9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors today during the boredom. Think I'm near the end of it

• Advertisement

EnterNow wrote: »
    Played a serious amount of 9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors today during the boredom. Think I'm near the end of it

Been meaning to pick that up, whats it like?

Hate to break this to you but there's multiple endings :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,716 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I played read the first hour of it, but then IQ84 came around. Really must get back into it.

Loving Cave Story at the moment!

Been meaning to pick that up, whats it like?

It's very good, well worth a playthrough. There's obviously a lot of text in it (Nintendo don't believe in spoken word :D), but the story is very engaging.

I don't mind that as such, I couldn't see myself playing through again though to see them. I hate the way you've to wait for the text to scroll, before it proceeds to the next sentence. It should quick-display when you tap the button. Not a fatal flaw by any stretch but there's so much reading in it that it drags on

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Loving Cave Story at the moment!

It's very addictive, great little game.

I see now what you mean, but the game is very smart in how it lets you 'continue' lets say. & the skipping text thing is allowed at such a point too :cool:

It's a pity there aren't more 5pb text adventures localised for the west. They've made some really good ones.

I don't mind that as such, I couldn't see myself playing through again though to see them. I hate the way you've to wait for the text to scroll, before it proceeds to the next sentence. It should quick-display when you tap the button. Not a fatal flaw by any stretch but there's so much reading in it that it drags on

Well I've been enjoying a lot of text based adventures lately so that sounds good to me...
    Wonder if there's still time to let Santy know!!

Well I've been enjoying a lot of text based adventures lately so that sounds good to me...
    Wonder if there's still time to let Santy know!!

It's grand, once your playing for an alt-ending the games allows the text to quickscroll.

• Advertisement

Playing a bit of road rash II on the sega megadrive at the moment. If I get busted anymore I think I might just vindictively bend all the forks in the press.
    I haven't felt a bit of rage quit in a while, been playing it very safe lately with the good auld reliables.
    Needed to de-stress during the exams so it was double dash, F-Zero and tetris for a while there.
    Road Rash has a decent soundtrack, not a patch on fzero but catchy and defintely worms it's way in. It is also a great game considering you never take a turn or around a bend.
    Would be boring being a co-pilot for a rally driver on a road rash track.

Playing a bit of road rash II on the sega megadrive at the moment. If I get busted anymore I think I might just vindictively bend all the forks in the press.
    I haven't felt a bit of rage quit in a while, been playing it very safe lately with the good auld reliables.
    Needed to de-stress during the exams so it was double dash, F-Zero and tetris for a while there.
    Road Rash has a decent soundtrack, not a patch on fzero but catchy and defintely worms it's way in. It is also a great game considering you never take a turn or around a bend.
    Would be boring being a co-pilot for a rally driver on a road rash track.

Finished System Shock today. Absolutely amazing game. System Shock Portable really updates the controls and turns it from frustrating to get used to the controls to a very playable game. just finishing a review that I'm far from happy with but **** it, I'll post it in the reviews thread.

Re: Road Rash II, real players, or is that playaz'?, do it with the music turned off.
    The sound channels are then used for sound fx instead!
    For some reason, it's better that way, especially when you get up to the Diablo and all those nitrous shots!

Road Rash on the 3DO is far better, musically, of course it is streaming from the CD but has an excellent line up of Grunge for your enjoyment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

after all the talk of the ambassador games on the 3DS I have plucked out my small GBA collection and am playing Minish Cap and Yoshi's island on my Micro and standard GBA.

I love Minish Cap, it feels like a spiritual sequel to LttP, like it in someways with some changes, tweeks and additions. It looks great on the micro also. Yoshi on the other hand has taken some getting used to. soem of the levels and enemies were quite frustrating but I have gotten into the swing of it now. It looks lovely on the big GBA screen, very painterly, I would love to play the SNES original.

Played a spot of Super Smash Bros on the N64 there, picked it up at a market, along with a load of others for feck all.
    It plays very like the newer iterations, but the visuals are that bit simpler, but it is all in keeping with SM64, OoT and the like from that era.
    It's still a lot of fun and I'm glad to have it in the collection at last!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Yoshi on the other hand has taken some getting used to. soem of the levels and enemies were quite frustrating but I have gotten into the swing of it now. It looks lovely on the big GBA screen, very painterly, I would love to play the SNES original.

Yoshi's Island is one of those odd games, where it should be uber-saccharine and whatnot, but you find yourself contently, constantly grinning, level in, level out, for no discernible reason.

I'm finding Road Rash very addictive!

I'm going to give it a shot with music turned off but I don't think I'll be playing the 3do version for a while. I've a load of lovely Nintendo boxed games to buy before I look at that or other consoles.

Oh and I hate P.E. No.1! Consistently de-biking me. I really feel like hurting that *#$%@!

9 Hours is p1ssing me off at this point. I've got three outta the 6 endings, problem is replaying the game & saying something like "Excuse me, sorry about that" instead of "Really sorry there" means the difference between life & death. Hate that bs, great game, good enough to play through 3 times in a row, it's getting a bit much though

• Advertisement

I like your sig :P

Advertisement