Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Huawei b593s-22

Options
  • 12-09-2014 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭

Hi there, just wondering has anyone got this router?

Reason being is I ordered an unlocked one from amazon which arrived today but it's rather annoyingly missing a UK Power supply unit and was wondering what the specs of it are?

I can't seem to find a seller to contact on amazon since it's dispatched by them but can anyone tell me what's in the box? I was wondering if anything else was missing such as external antennas or something. I think the power supply is just missing.

I'm not sure if I'm bothered to return it if I can find a replacement power supply with the same specs, so yeah any help appreciated.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Huawei (Switching Power Adapter)

Model: HW-120100B6W
    Input: 100 - 240V ~ 50/60Hz, 0.5A
    Output: 12.0V === 1.0A
    Efficiency level: V

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭davebuck

What type of sim does the router take normal or micro?

Thanks,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Normal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭ranger4

Does this model support External antenna/antennas for boosting 3 and 4g coverage also is this model compatible for 02 sim card internet service.

ranger4 wrote: »
    Does this model support External antenna/antennas for boosting 3 and 4g coverage also is this model compatible for 02 sim card internet service.

Yes

• Advertisement

BeerWolf wrote: »
    Yes

Did hear that this modem needs software update to switch on and activate external antenna/antennas connection but cant seem to find software update anywhere, have you any info on this thanks BeerWolf.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭-=al=-

It works fine out of the box it detects the external antennas itself

It also covers pretty much all the frequencies/bands... there is different model numbers though but the s-22 is the latest and most $$ one because of that

-=al=- wrote: »
    It works fine out of the box it detects the external antennas itself

It also covers pretty much all the frequencies/bands... there is different model numbers though but the s-22 is the latest and most $$ one because of that

Thanks -=al=- Did you find best price for this modem on amazon.

Yep, checked ebay and all the usual other places £135 on amazon uk was the best I could find for an unlocked one.

No one has figured out how to unlock it as far as I know or it's at least very difficult. All the networks here have them locked so if Three works in your locale, 60GB a month for €35 with the router for €100 is a decent deal... but if it doesn't or you want to try other sims, the unlocked one for €180 is the ticket on amazon uk

It works very well. I have it on Meteor and I get 25Mb-30Mb down and about 13Mb up consistently with decent pings too.. Worth the investment I think if 4g is your only option of any chance of half decent internet. You do fly through the data very fast I have noticed since it's so fast everything loads quickly and videos load fast with no buffering so you use a lot more data for just general browsing etc...

Yep, checked ebay and all the usual other places £135 on amazon uk was the best I could find for an unlocked one.

No one has figured out how to unlock it as far as I know or it's at least very difficult. All the networks here have them locked so if Three works in your locale, 60GB a month for €35 with the router for €100 is a decent deal... but if it doesn't or you want to try other sims, the unlocked one for €180 is the ticket on amazon uk

It works very well. I have it on Meteor and I get 25Mb-30Mb down and about 13Mb up consistently with decent pings too.. Worth the investment I think if 4g is your only option of any chance of half decent internet. You do fly through the data very fast I have noticed since it's so fast everything loads quickly and videos load fast with no buffering so you use a lot more data for just general browsing etc...
    which External antenna did you connect to modem and does modem give wifi for laptop AND wired LAN Internet access for a digital TV receiver at same time, thanks.

• Advertisement

There is lots on ebay ranging from 30€ > 200€ ...You want an antenna with 2 outputs for best results, so it's essentially like having 2 antennas so they can be pricey. I got one for 100€ that covers all the bands and it does the job fine...

The router is pretty new so there is a tonne of features it offers that are as good as any top end router you can buy with lots of choice and options.

It has 4 LAN connections, can connect 32 devices for WiFi and can broadcast 4 seperate SSID channels from the one router.. even connects a telephone or fax and has an input for external storage...

Check the website for the specs... it's got almost everything you could need really.

ranger4 wrote: »
    which External antenna did you connect to modem and does modem give wifi for laptop AND wired LAN Internet access for a digital TV receiver at same time, thanks.

Best thing about the modem is the Ethernet ports, for a 4G Router --- you can network your house then using, example, Powerline adapters... to which I've done. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭long_b

I'm in a 3G area and have been using a "USB dongle out the window" attached to a TP Link TL-MR3420 (v1) via a 3m USB cable.

I see lots of people getting really excited about this Huawei router - has anyone with a similar setup to mine upgraded to one - if so did using it improve 3G speeds over the TP Link ?

You can take the sim out of the dongle and put it directly into the huawei device, that's kinda why it's so expensive... I use the huawei box connected to a tp link router and it works great

I tried all the networks on a 3.5g dongle and the huawei was far better than the dongle... It is all location and service based but the huawei router will get you proper good speeds even if it's just 3g

It almost tripled my 3(.5)g speed from a dongle out of the box

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭long_b

You can take the sim out of the dongle and put it directly into the huawei device, that's kinda why it's so expensive... I use the huawei box connected to a tp link router and it works great

I tried all the networks on a 3.5g dongle and the huawei was far better than the dongle... It is all location and service based but the huawei router will get you proper good speeds even if it's just 3g

It almost tripled my 3(.5)g speed from a dongle out of the box

Thanks for this.

Had you been using the USB dongle inside the house before changing over? Had you a strong signal on the USB modem to begin with?

Yes a 3.5g dongle on tesco, meteor and 3... 3-4 bars of 3g signal (except three with 1-2) with the dongles and the same signal with the router only the speed increased with it

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Yab da do

Hi -=al=-,
    Can you let me know which antenna you got. I'm have problems with the signal on my B593 for some reason. Was working perfectly giving me fast speeds. Now its giving crap speeds. Trying both Vodafone and three in my area with little success.

I have been using three with an external antenna and repeater which was giving me speeds around 1Mb to 5MB. When i first purchased the B593 i was getting 10-12 MB's with vodafone. Now its drop back to nothing. I tried pluging in the three antenna to the B593 but didnt give any extra bars.

If you could give me a link to the antenna your purchased it would be great.

Thanks,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/4g-antenna

there is some cheaper alternatives but I got a decent antenna manufacture and ended up getting this antenna

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Omni-Directional-4G-3G-LTE-MIMO-External-Antenna-for-Huawei-B593-E5172-B880-/231284385944

Not that much gain but is omni directional and gives a solid nice connection

I figure once I had a decent 4g setup I should be sorted for for quite some time. I get 12Mb down and 8Mb up average and it's fine really

There was an antenna I noticed after I bought that that looks great for about 40€ - http://www.dipol.ie/cellular-systems/gsm-3g-lte-antennas/lte.html

Thanks for the feed back.
    just wondering which network your with?
    Also which antenna on the othervsite did you recommend? Theres alot on there

Meteor... It works the best for my location so I opted for them... It depends on your location and the service for what you want and you will get. 3 worked alright too but I was with them before and compared to Meteor they just weren't as good.

And for the antenna you want a MIMO one which means multiple-input and multiple-output. Basically you have 2 antennas for the router but that comes together as one antenna really... It kinda deals with incoming and outgoing traffic separately to speed things along.

And the frequency bands 800 - 2170MHz cover all the bands the router can use.

And the Huawei router takes an SMA connection.

So any MIMO Lte antenna with an SMA connection will do the job. It's just down to how long you want the cable... 5m or 10m. Generally you want to keep the cable as short as possible but if you need a longer cable so be it.

http://www.dipol.ie/cellular-systems/gsm-3g-lte-antennas/lte/lte-mimo-antenna-atk-log-lte-800-2170mhz-5m-cable-sma-plug.html

That's the one I would like to try out if I didn't already have one!

• Advertisement

Ya wont believe this but this company is based less than 15miles from my house.
    Gone get the cheaper antenna and see how I get on.

Even better then!

I'm sure the lads in the shop can explain it better than me. What i know is what i managed to figure out from some googling over the whole scenario but the setup I have works great and is pretty solid

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bodonnell

have been using 4g from meteor since last may & have been getting fairly consistent speeds 18mbps to 20, fastest being 27 at one point, upload speeds have ranged from 1.5 to 2mbps.
    Recently, dl speed has dropped to around 13mbps & upload has increased to about 3.5. I figured I would be affected by contention at some point but why would upload increase ?
    Only change on my end is I moved the external antenna a bit higher up when I got use of a ladder. I am in east Limerick & wondering if anyone else noticed anything similar.
    ps I haven't tried returning antenna to its previous position

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Cindys z

davebuck wrote: »
    What type of sim does the router take normal or micro?

Thanks,
    A normal SIM is okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Cindys z

About the antenna, you could buy the original huawei b593 antenna. Just have a search, you will get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Caspero

Thanks for sharing all the info folks, it was very helpful.

I have a couple of questions on this router:

-- Can you configure it to stop traffic or give you a warning or something when you reach a certain gb/month of usage? If possible I'd like to know when I'm about 20% away from the monthly cap so that I can take it easy on the downloads for the rest of the month.

-- For people who are using the extra antennas on Meteor 4g or Vodafone 4g, what was the difference pre vs post antenna addition?

The signal is a bar or so higher with an external antenna. I thought there would be a better improvement but indoors without the external antennas the signal would change much like it would on your phone if you were moving about. A higher gain directional antenna would probably sort it.

The external antennas give a nice solid connection but if it works indoors without them try that first!

You can check your usage on your broadband plan plan. So just go to whatever provider you use and check how much data you use... The router has a lot of options and settings to mess with, it can even broadcast 4 different wifi networks giving separate options for each

Here is the landing page when you log into the router

http://i.imgur.com/wLZBPBA.png

http://i.imgur.com/WmGEtBE.png

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Caspero

Thanks for your response -=al=-. I'm going to get this and test SIMs from different networks to see which has the best speed in my area.

Vodafone's map currently shows excellent coverage for my house vs only 'good' for Meteor. As far as I can tell from their website, Vodafone don't offer 4g pay as you go SIMs so I can't test with one of those. However they do offer a 4g phone billpay SIM with a 30-day contract (only 1gb data but that would be sufficient to test). I was wondering if that would work in the router.

Were any of the SIMs that you tested which were branded as a 'phone' SIM rather than a 'mobile broadband' SIM? I guess they're the same but I suppose it's possible that there is a different configuration or something for mobile broadband SIMs vs mobile phone SIMs and that phone SIMs might not work in a router.

I know three's coverage map is not legit at all and not sure about Vodafone. Meteor's map is ok I think but not sure! Three are always upgrading the masts etc... Not sure if they know themselves where their 4g works.

Vodafone offer the worst 4g plan and data allowance (and not fond of their phone services either) but if the signal is best in your area you gota do what you gota do.

I used all broadband sims. Not fully sure if it would be different for normal phone plans in the router. But if the settings match up, it should be ok, or at least connect to see if the signal is good.

When I tethered my iphone to laptop using three it all worked fine and can't remember if I tried a mobile phone sim in the router... I'd imagine it would connect once the settings are correct though.

Meteor was always the best service for me followed by three. Vodafone don't offer 4g broadband and their data sucks so didn't even bother

• Advertisement

When I tethered my iphone to laptop using three it all worked fine and can't remember if I tried a mobile phone sim in the router... I'd imagine it would connect once the settings are correct though.

I'm on THREE's "All you can eat" data allowance for my mobile phone [1 month contract, €20]. The SIM for it works perfectly fine in the router.

Advertisement